Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push 10:42 - Aug 12 with 10187 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Holy
Vincent-Young Woolfenden Chambers Ward
Downes Huws
Sears / Jackson Bishop Edwards
Graham

If you played what is effectively 4231 and stick to it I could really see us being a force with the squad we already have. Seems to me that this gets the best out of the squad.

Obviously the fitness of Huws and Bishop is always going to be a question, but this to me looks the way to go.

Chambers in form, alongside Wolf would be decent ahead of Holy. KVY is superb and will get forward. Ward has got the ability to get forward still and I really rate Edwards and he's never had a proper run in his preferred position of wide left. He's got goals in him.

This system allows Downes and Huws to do the dirty work which they can. If we assume Bishop isn't going to stay fit (I hope he does) then Dozzell could play this role or even Nolan if he can find some form and be given licence to go forward and not just pass it backwards.

With Edwards and Sears wide, plus Jackson (not ideal but I can't see him as a focal point with such shocking control) you can then add in El Mizouni, Lankester, Dobra between the WL, AM, WR positions and allow them to try and win a place.

Norwood could be the focal point easily enough. Graham for me would or a Chris Martin type would work with pace either side of him through Sears, Jackson, Edwards, Lankester etc. The new Daryl Murphy if you will. The formation wouldn't be a million miles of Mick's 433 with the likes of Noel Hunt and Sears playing off Daryl.

That gives us a bit of everything. Steel. Technical ability. Pace, Energy. Which is exactly why it won't happen, but I see that as the best way of using the forward thinking players we have and being pretty solid at the back.

Both KVY and Ward could push on when needed knowing Edwards can sit in and Sears works tirelessly anyway.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 10:53]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 10:59 - Aug 12 with 4857 viewsdavblue

You don't see many 35 year old full backs bombing up the pitch.

That's a hard role to play the older you get, you might get the experience and he would play as a sitter, but Lambert does like his full backs to play up the pitch.
This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 11:01 - Aug 12 with 4850 viewsLibero

Teddy Bishop's back to full fitness next month.
This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 11:17 - Aug 12 with 4780 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 10:59 - Aug 12 by davblue

You don't see many 35 year old full backs bombing up the pitch.

That's a hard role to play the older you get, you might get the experience and he would play as a sitter, but Lambert does like his full backs to play up the pitch.

If he sits so be it. We have KVY who is going to get forward. If we could somehow find an energetic left back in that mould then amazing. But Ward would be a massive upgrade on Kenlock even if he got forward as much as a table football defender.

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 11:25 - Aug 12 with 4743 viewsJ2BLUE

Not a bad side.

I'd really like a CB. I know with the salary cap and already having four we are unlikely to get one but it looks a weak area to me. I'd love to see a no nonse brick sh1thouse come in beside Woolf.

I love Chambers but being a brilliant club man doesn't justify a place in the team. I still hope Nsiala can make it. Perhaps games without crowds will allow him time to rediscover his form.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 11:27 - Aug 12 with 4711 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 11:25 - Aug 12 by J2BLUE

Not a bad side.

I'd really like a CB. I know with the salary cap and already having four we are unlikely to get one but it looks a weak area to me. I'd love to see a no nonse brick sh1thouse come in beside Woolf.

I love Chambers but being a brilliant club man doesn't justify a place in the team. I still hope Nsiala can make it. Perhaps games without crowds will allow him time to rediscover his form.

Indeed.

Love Chambo, but at times last season he was shown up for what he is. A decent centre back who is now slowing down considerably.

The salary cap is going to put paid to that though. Nsiala should be the player you described but just can't see it.

Ideally we'd get a LB, CB and ST that are all decent at this level and we'd be set but guess we will have to take what we can whilst we sort out the overbloated squad.

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 11:36 - Aug 12 with 4669 viewsbracknell_blue

Might not be agreed by many, but I felt that KVY's absence in the second half of the season was critical. I honestly think we would have made the POs if he had been available for many more matches.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 11:40 - Aug 12 with 4652 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 11:36 - Aug 12 by bracknell_blue

Might not be agreed by many, but I felt that KVY's absence in the second half of the season was critical. I honestly think we would have made the POs if he had been available for many more matches.

I'd be surprised if anyone disagreed.

Teams sat back, especially down our right hand side, which is where almost all our problems came from when he was absent.

If he'd stayed fit I don't think there's any chance we hit such a bad patch of form and miss the playoffs.

Still. His injury saved us a dismal play off heartache over two legs as we put in two gutless displays in 1-0 losses to Portsmouth.

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 11:50 - Aug 12 with 4591 viewsSeablu

Whilst Lambert remains here, the words ‘promotion push’ seem wildly optimistic to me unless preceded by ‘no hope of a’
Login to get fewer ads

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 11:58 - Aug 12 with 4542 viewsTractorWood

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 11:01 - Aug 12 by Libero

He's expected to be training shortly.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 12:29 - Aug 12 with 4453 viewsCheltenham_Blue

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 11:01 - Aug 12 by Libero

And November, and March.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Agree on Chambo on 12:37 - Aug 12 with 4415 viewsunstableblue

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 11:25 - Aug 12 by J2BLUE

Not a bad side.

... love the guy, but his performance have been littered with errors for many season (not helped by being made right back for a while)

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 12:41 - Aug 12 with 4396 viewstractordownsouth

The squad is only 2 or 3 players away - it's the management that is the issue

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:23 - Aug 12 with 4330 viewsclive_baker

Back 4 looks to have a nice balance, and it's been a while since we've said that.

Personally I would go 4-4-2. We need some width and creativity in midfield, perhaps Edwards, Lankester, Sears, Dobra etc will play their part there, but it feels like we're some way off really knowing a likely first XI. It'll be Downes + 1 centrally I imagine, and a front 2 of Norwood & Jackson should work, assuming we don't add there.

It's the midfield that's going to be hardest to strike the right balance between some continuity and keeping everyone engaged. If it's 1 centrally out of Huws, Dozzell, Bishop, Nolan, Skuse, El Miz etc then something will have to give.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:24 - Aug 12 with 4326 viewsDyland

Not a bad side.

"I still hope Nsiala can make it. Perhaps games without crowds will allow him time to rediscover his form."

Form?

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:34 - Aug 12 with 4293 viewsPlums

Have you got this post on a loop?

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:46 - Aug 12 with 4253 viewsCoco

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:34 - Aug 12 by Plums

Yet it's nearly always factually correct.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:51 - Aug 12 with 4221 viewsBluefish

Since the day Hurst took over our biggest issue has been linking the midfield to the forwards. To be fair we had a spell under Mick when Murphy left when we had this as well because Pitman didn't have any hold up play. Mick solved this with Garner to provide the hold up or draw a foul and waggy to he the link man superbly. When they went it was gone and has never come back.

Your team still doesn't do this, Graham will do the hold up well to a degree but mobility could be an issue but Edwards, Jackson and Sears would be running around like headless chickens. I would rather see Lankester and Dobra fill those gaps with Bishop or el mizouni, players that are far less 1 dimensional

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:51 - Aug 12 with 4224 viewsLibero

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:34 - Aug 12 by Plums

I don't know what you're talking about...
[Post edited 12 Aug 2020 13:52]
This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:57 - Aug 12 with 4199 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:51 - Aug 12 by Bluefish

Since the day Hurst took over our biggest issue has been linking the midfield to the forwards. To be fair we had a spell under Mick when Murphy left when we had this as well because Pitman didn't have any hold up play. Mick solved this with Garner to provide the hold up or draw a foul and waggy to he the link man superbly. When they went it was gone and has never come back.

Your team still doesn't do this, Graham will do the hold up well to a degree but mobility could be an issue but Edwards, Jackson and Sears would be running around like headless chickens. I would rather see Lankester and Dobra fill those gaps with Bishop or el mizouni, players that are far less 1 dimensional

'Edwards, Jackson and Sears would be running around like headless chickens'. Why?

Many teams play a 4231 and manage to link the midfield and attack perfectly well.

On what basis would we struggle to do this exactly? Do Dobra and El Mizouni move differently to the other players?

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:12 - Aug 12 with 4157 viewsericclacton

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:57 - Aug 12 by WarkTheWarkITFC

'Edwards, Jackson and Sears would be running around like headless chickens'. Why?

Many teams play a 4231 and manage to link the midfield and attack perfectly well.

On what basis would we struggle to do this exactly? Do Dobra and El Mizouni move differently to the other players?

Kenlock has a good left peg and under Mick was starting to look good when Knude son went inside, i would like to see him have a good run in the team. I think your left side looks weak don't agree with Chambers there or Edwards, but i respect your choice of course.

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:13 - Aug 12 with 4149 viewsHerbivore

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:23 - Aug 12 by clive_baker

Back 4 looks to have a nice balance, and it's been a while since we've said that.

Personally I would go 4-4-2. We need some width and creativity in midfield, perhaps Edwards, Lankester, Sears, Dobra etc will play their part there, but it feels like we're some way off really knowing a likely first XI. It'll be Downes + 1 centrally I imagine, and a front 2 of Norwood & Jackson should work, assuming we don't add there.

It's the midfield that's going to be hardest to strike the right balance between some continuity and keeping everyone engaged. If it's 1 centrally out of Huws, Dozzell, Bishop, Nolan, Skuse, El Miz etc then something will have to give.

I'd prefer to go 4-3-3 as I think the likes of Sears, Lankester and Dobra will offer more as wide forwards than as wingers in a 4-4-2. I like the idea of Jackson as a wide forward in that system too. It then also enables us to get three players in midfield where we look overstocked with talent. Got to play to the squad's strengths and for me that's more of a 4-3-3 than a 4-4-2.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:13 - Aug 12 with 4152 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Problem is that 4 of your team have real fitness question marks over them. Bishop has a track record for getting injured. I remain to be convinced that Huws or Sears will ever return to their pre injury form. KVY has been out for months so who knows what the future holds for him?

Some of the youngsters that could step in such as Lankester, Folami, El Miz are all making the way back from serious injuries. Not that Im a great fan, but you can see why the likes of Skuse and Chambers get so much game time, because they are hardened pros that can manage the fixture schedule.

Poll: Our final position

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:17 - Aug 12 with 4113 viewsBluefish

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 13:57 - Aug 12 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Your last question is the key to this

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:32 - Aug 12 with 4065 viewsRegencyBlue

Got to be honest and say trying to factor Bishop into any long term plan with his injury record would be clutching at straws.

To be fair it’s not his fault and he’s not the only one but he is a sick note and any first team appearances he makes will be a bonus.
This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:39 - Aug 12 with 4034 viewsLibero

This team would be very much acceptable for a League One promotion push on 14:32 - Aug 12 by RegencyBlue

Got to be honest and say trying to factor Bishop into any long term plan with his injury record would be clutching at straws.

To be fair it’s not his fault and he’s not the only one but he is a sick note and any first team appearances he makes will be a bonus.

Yeah, spot on.
I feel awful for Teddy as a person, but I find it amusing/farcical when you see supporters putting him in consideration for a first team spot, hence my repetitive joke.

Unfortunately he has it all to prove, he looked like a very good player half a decade ago.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024