Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Centre Forward 09:17 - Jan 26 with 3636 viewsWallingford_Boy

Never mind getting new (younger) full backs in, or adding to the midfield melting pot, surely a centre forward was the main requirement this window?

Norwood and Jackson seem to be permanently injured, so cannot be relied on (plus Jackson is NOT a centre forward).

Hawkins and Drinan are League Two standard at best (plus cannot score).

Norwood at least does know where the net is, which is the only real job of the centre forward in this current formation, but we cannot solely rely on him?!

Other than that, its a few kids.

We need experience, we need muscle, we need goals.. doesn't matter if its for 4 months, so even a 35 (ish) year old would do a job!

I know its easier said than done as we'd need to ship one of the current lot out before we can add and I have a feeling we may not have many takers for Jacko/Drinan/Hawkins!!
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 9:18]

RIP Sir Bobby

Centre Forward on 09:28 - Jan 26 with 2762 viewsHarlestonblue

Absolutely right.
Lambert, O'Neill and Evans should be showing some urgency on this matter. I see none whatsoever. We just cannot score. We have too many powder puff, injury prone hypochondriacs in this team.
As you say, Norwood is ALWAYS injured. Jackson is another. Neither of them are up to standard anyway. Hawkins, Drinan and Sears may be willing but, again, usually injured and simply not good enough.
The club have had long enough to sort this out. The selling of Waghorn and Garner was sheer lunacy and they have never been replaced.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 13:12]
Centre Forward on 09:46 - Jan 26 with 2719 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Centre Forward on 09:28 - Jan 26 by Harlestonblue

Absolutely right.
Lambert, O'Neill and Evans should be showing some urgency on this matter. I see none whatsoever. We just cannot score. We have too many powder puff, injury prone hypochondriacs in this team.
As you say, Norwood is ALWAYS injured. Jackson is another. Neither of them are up to standard anyway. Hawkins, Drinan and Sears may be willing but, again, usually injured and simply not good enough.
The club have had long enough to sort this out. The selling of Waghorn and Garner was sheer lunacy and they have never been replaced.

Think of the quality that left the building that summer.

Our top 5 goal scorers, and Adam Webster.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Centre Forward on 09:47 - Jan 26 with 2713 viewsSomethingBlue

Yep — five options up there and, for whatever reason, none of them quite right.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Centre Forward on 09:54 - Jan 26 with 2683 viewsWeWereZombies

35...ish...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Murphy

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Centre Forward on 09:56 - Jan 26 with 2668 viewsWallingford_Boy

Centre Forward on 09:47 - Jan 26 by SomethingBlue

Yep — five options up there and, for whatever reason, none of them quite right.

4 of them not being to score a goal might be one of the reasons!

RIP Sir Bobby

Centre Forward on 10:11 - Jan 26 with 2627 viewsjayessess

How much difference would it really make? Drinan was awful on Saturday, but it's not like he was missing chances or promising moves were breaking down at his feet. He was just totally isolated and made to chase hopeful punts forward whilst surrounded by the 3 defenders at all times.

Unless the planned replacement is something like peak era Daryl Murphy - a complete centre forward who's quick, strong, finishes well, runs the channels, wins high balls, holds the ball up - then what we actually need to do is make an effective attacking unit out of the actual players we have.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Centre Forward on 10:12 - Jan 26 with 2628 viewsrattram

Centre Forward on 09:56 - Jan 26 by Wallingford_Boy

4 of them not being to score a goal might be one of the reasons!

Garner had to go or he would have been divorced! After 2yrs with Rangers and then us he was given an ultimatum by his wife to return to Lancashire, which was why we circulated clubs he was available. Great shame
Centre Forward on 10:15 - Jan 26 with 2600 viewsGarv

Centre Forward on 10:11 - Jan 26 by jayessess

How much difference would it really make? Drinan was awful on Saturday, but it's not like he was missing chances or promising moves were breaking down at his feet. He was just totally isolated and made to chase hopeful punts forward whilst surrounded by the 3 defenders at all times.

Unless the planned replacement is something like peak era Daryl Murphy - a complete centre forward who's quick, strong, finishes well, runs the channels, wins high balls, holds the ball up - then what we actually need to do is make an effective attacking unit out of the actual players we have.

I think Norwood would have made that a different game.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Centre Forward on 10:16 - Jan 26 with 2585 viewslongtimefan

Centre Forward on 10:12 - Jan 26 by rattram

Garner had to go or he would have been divorced! After 2yrs with Rangers and then us he was given an ultimatum by his wife to return to Lancashire, which was why we circulated clubs he was available. Great shame

Is he divorced now then as he seems to be playing Cyprus?
Centre Forward on 10:17 - Jan 26 with 2582 viewsshady

We were relegated as we had no firepower.
The rot started when we sold big Kieffer 3 years ago,
just for quick money.
Centre Forward on 10:22 - Jan 26 with 2572 viewsFixed_It

Centre Forward on 10:17 - Jan 26 by shady

We were relegated as we had no firepower.
The rot started when we sold big Kieffer 3 years ago,
just for quick money.

Kieffer Moore was NOT firepower in his time with us, and never looked likely to be - however much people want to re-write history with the benefit of hindsight.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 10:33]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Centre Forward on 10:22 - Jan 26 with 2563 viewsjayessess

Centre Forward on 10:15 - Jan 26 by Garv

I think Norwood would have made that a different game.

Was it "a different game" when Norwood played up front for the first hour against Burton Albion?

Centre Forward on 10:28 - Jan 26 with 2544 viewslongtimefan

Centre Forward on 10:22 - Jan 26 by Fixed_It

Kieffer Moore was NOT firepower in his time with us, and never looked likely to be - however much people want to re-write history with the benefit of hindsight.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 10:33]

Yep. Comments like this make me laugh. This is the same Kieffer Moore that was selected by many on here in their team of worst ever ITFC players
Centre Forward on 10:31 - Jan 26 with 2526 viewsWallingford_Boy

Centre Forward on 10:12 - Jan 26 by rattram

Talking of Rangers, Defoe is not getting game time up there....

RIP Sir Bobby

Centre Forward on 10:32 - Jan 26 with 2525 viewsGavTWTD

I still think playing 2 up front will work so much better. Hawkins/Norwood or Hawkins/Jackson would work pretty well I think. Drinan isn't good enough on his own, and neither are the others but pair them up and give the centrebacks two players to mark, not one.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Centre Forward on 10:32 - Jan 26 with 2525 viewsGuthrum

I agree that none of our current strikeforce is high enough on the combined fitness/effectiveness scale. Just 15.4% of our League goals have been scored by recognised strikers (with opposition own goals being only just behind that in our tally), rising to 27% if you include Judge and Lankester as "wide forwards". Nowhere near enough.

However, I would say that playing what is effectively a lone forward system, combined with lack of effectiveness at getting the ball forward with speed and incisiveness has perhaps not shown our players in that position in their best light.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Centre Forward on 10:35 - Jan 26 with 2504 viewsChurchman

Centre Forward on 10:31 - Jan 26 by Wallingford_Boy

Talking of Rangers, Defoe is not getting game time up there....

Is Defoe still alive??? He’d never get his Zimmer frame round the narrow corridors inside Portman Road.
Centre Forward on 10:54 - Jan 26 with 2475 viewsWeWereZombies

Centre Forward on 10:35 - Jan 26 by Churchman

Is Defoe still alive??? He’d never get his Zimmer frame round the narrow corridors inside Portman Road.

Alive. well and sharp as ever in the Rangers highlights I have seen him in.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Centre Forward on 10:57 - Jan 26 with 2462 viewsGuthrum

Centre Forward on 10:16 - Jan 26 by longtimefan

Is he divorced now then as he seems to be playing Cyprus?

Wife fancied a holiday.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Centre Forward on 10:58 - Jan 26 with 2455 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Centre Forward on 10:32 - Jan 26 by GavTWTD

I still think playing 2 up front will work so much better. Hawkins/Norwood or Hawkins/Jackson would work pretty well I think. Drinan isn't good enough on his own, and neither are the others but pair them up and give the centrebacks two players to mark, not one.

Agree. We might even create a chance if we went 442.
Centre Forward on 11:04 - Jan 26 with 2430 viewsSwansea_Blue

Centre Forward on 09:28 - Jan 26 by Harlestonblue

Absolutely right.

Fair to say that we haven't had a good record at finding strikers under the last two managers. Mick struggled for a year too after Murph left and before he brought in Waggy and Garner. But lately its been very poor.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Centre Forward on 11:04 - Jan 26 with 2430 viewsdavblue

Centre Forward on 10:58 - Jan 26 by PrideOfTheEast

Agree. We might even create a chance if we went 442.

We didn't really last year when we played 4-4-2.

We were just very clinical with half chances/mistakes.
Centre Forward on 11:12 - Jan 26 with 2404 viewschrismakin

Know any decent u21 strikers banging goals in that would help us.

That's the issue. Has to fit under league 1 wage cap.

What's more painful is Drinan is the best young striker at the club... which is quite sad that that's the best we can offer from our academy

Whereas our Haynes. Bowdith bents etc

In the former they may not have gone to massive heights but they still scored some very important goals for his a d were horrible to play against

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Centre Forward on 11:16 - Jan 26 with 2389 viewsSwansea_Blue

Centre Forward on 11:12 - Jan 26 by chrismakin

Know any decent u21 strikers banging goals in that would help us.

That's the issue. Has to fit under league 1 wage cap.

What's more painful is Drinan is the best young striker at the club... which is quite sad that that's the best we can offer from our academy

Whereas our Haynes. Bowdith bents etc

In the former they may not have gone to massive heights but they still scored some very important goals for his a d were horrible to play against

Not under 21, but Wilfried Bony is training with Newport and looking for a club...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Centre Forward on 11:16 - Jan 26 with 2389 viewsjayessess

Centre Forward on 10:28 - Jan 26 by longtimefan

Yep. Comments like this make me laugh. This is the same Kieffer Moore that was selected by many on here in their team of worst ever ITFC players

Comments like this are weirder, imo. It's the club's job to be good at judging their player's underlying abilities and potential, based on a whole bunch of things we never see. "The fans didn't rate him" is no excuse whatseover.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024