Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) 09:35 - Feb 19 with 2614 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

does anyone know about his home situation, like if his missus has had covid or he has a sick child etc? Would be very harsh by Lambert if there's more to this story we don't know about.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:36 - Feb 19 with 1742 viewsKieran_Knows

Waiting patiently for Nolan's tweet....

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:37 - Feb 19 with 1719 viewsfooters

People jumped to conclusions before regarding Judge's home life, so yeah, best to tread carefully here.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:38 - Feb 19 with 1695 viewschrismakin

Tbh. Even if it's all rosy. Hes not in the squad so why shouldn't he wish to be at home like the other 40 players

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:39 - Feb 19 with 1680 viewsYallop

I think it's fairly simple Nolan was annoyed at travelling st that way and not even making the bench. Probably just said I might have well stayed at home.

No biggie
Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:39 - Feb 19 with 1675 viewsJakeITFC

Think he's a relatively new father.

Well within his rights to be pissed off at having to travel to an away game miles away if he's not in the squad imo. It's the managers fault for having such a large squad - it is up to him to manage it, and I don't see how having an excess of senior players is sustainable (especially if there was interest in moves for players in January).
Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:40 - Feb 19 with 1657 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:38 - Feb 19 by chrismakin

Tbh. Even if it's all rosy. Hes not in the squad so why shouldn't he wish to be at home like the other 40 players

I guess it's about team spirit.

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:42 - Feb 19 with 1619 viewsGlasgowBlue

If his Mrs had COVID then he would have been self isolating and not travelling with the squad.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:42 - Feb 19 with 1621 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:39 - Feb 19 by JakeITFC

Think he's a relatively new father.

Well within his rights to be pissed off at having to travel to an away game miles away if he's not in the squad imo. It's the managers fault for having such a large squad - it is up to him to manage it, and I don't see how having an excess of senior players is sustainable (especially if there was interest in moves for players in January).

Travelling to games as part of a squad, even if he is then left out of the 18, is his job. He is being paid to do exactly that when required.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Login to get fewer ads

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:42 - Feb 19 with 1613 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Think you’re over-analysing it, it sounds like he was just frustrated at not being in the squad and has basically kicked off at it being a waste of his time when he could be at home with his family

As a well paid footballer he should suck it up but it’s just frustration in the heat of the moment. You can make a pretty good case that being frustrated is a positive too and I say that as someone that thinks Nolan is generally rubbish

Unless he’s really gone over the top banishing him as a result seems absolutely ridiculous

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:43 - Feb 19 with 1602 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:39 - Feb 19 by Yallop

I think it's fairly simple Nolan was annoyed at travelling st that way and not even making the bench. Probably just said I might have well stayed at home.

No biggie

That's all we're getting from the story, I'm asking if there's more to it. As someone else has said, he has a young child so that's something extra we didn't know which could be relevant.

Do you always go with what's literally written in news stories and don't bother thinking what the subtext might be?

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:43 - Feb 19 with 1598 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:39 - Feb 19 by Yallop

No biggie

Beat me to it, this x 1000

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:44 - Feb 19 with 1593 viewscatch74

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:40 - Feb 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

Interesting that Donacien has said the first thing he noticed about the Fleetwood team was that everyone is wanting to go in the same direction, no one is moaning.
Plus he really likes the games coming thick and fast, it’s good to play Sat - Tues - Sat.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:44 - Feb 19 with 1583 viewspositivity

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:40 - Feb 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

no better way of increasing team spirit than by excluding players for:
a mistake (jackson)
honesty (woolfenden)
being good at football (downes)
not being good enough for the prem as a kid (donacien)
expressing a reasonable opinion (nolan)
being "too young" (dobra)

etc etc etc etc

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:45 - Feb 19 with 1557 viewsBlueWorldOrder

I know he's not a very good footballer.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:46 - Feb 19 with 1543 viewstractorboy1978

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:42 - Feb 19 by Tangledupin_Blue

Travelling to games as part of a squad, even if he is then left out of the 18, is his job. He is being paid to do exactly that when required.

Per Stuart Watson on KOA pod - he was told he was on the bench Friday morning and then when they got to Crewe told he was dropped from the squad and the 19th man. Can see why he'd be pissed off.
Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:48 - Feb 19 with 1518 viewsitfcjoe

Stuart Watson covered it on KoA pod the other day

Nolan had started v Sunderland, was expecting to start v Crewe

He was told Thursday or Friday he wasn't starting and on the bench

Went to Crewe on Friday, stayed overnight, then team announced and he wasn't on the bench

Asked why and was told it was because he'd been over zealous in training the day before - and then presumably kicked off about saying he'd rather have stayed at home - rather than being dragged to the other end of the country and embarrassed and punished for something he'd done before he left

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:48 - Feb 19 with 1503 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:42 - Feb 19 by GlasgowBlue

If his Mrs had COVID then he would have been self isolating and not travelling with the squad.

I said if she'd HAD covid... it could be well past his isolation stage but she might still be feeling rough. It was just an example anyway.

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:51 - Feb 19 with 1459 viewsJDB23

Is it not common to have 1 or 2 more in the travelling party in case there are injuries in the warm-up etc?
Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:51 - Feb 19 with 1440 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:42 - Feb 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Think you’re over-analysing it, it sounds like he was just frustrated at not being in the squad and has basically kicked off at it being a waste of his time when he could be at home with his family

As a well paid footballer he should suck it up but it’s just frustration in the heat of the moment. You can make a pretty good case that being frustrated is a positive too and I say that as someone that thinks Nolan is generally rubbish

Unless he’s really gone over the top banishing him as a result seems absolutely ridiculous

I'm not over-analysing anything, I'm asking if there's more to the story.

if Lambert threw Nolan to the vultures as a distraction technique on 09:53 - Feb 19 with 1403 viewsPendejo

I think it will (has?) fail(ed) and backfire(d) massively.

Is he so clueless about how far the horse (Suffolk Punch naturally) has travelled since it bolted through the open stable do that he thinks pointing at Milan and during him for being a family man will work?

Whilst you would normally expect the squad to stay together on match day surely it's a sign of how disillusioned the players are with the management. If we were top 6 I bet Nolan wouldn't have flounced.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:53 - Feb 19 with 1407 viewsGuthrum

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this, it sounds like there's some horrendously poor man-management going on. Unable to either carry the squad with him, bring a disaffected player around, or to keep a lid on things when disputes happen.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:55 - Feb 19 with 1378 viewsclive_baker

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:48 - Feb 19 by itfcjoe

Went to Crewe on Friday, stayed overnight, then team announced and he wasn't on the bench

Asked why and was told it was because he'd been over zealous in training the day before - and then presumably kicked off about saying he'd rather have stayed at home - rather than being dragged to the other end of the country and embarrassed and punished for something he'd done before he left

He was dreadful against Sunderland and taken off shortly after half time. After that performance he had no right to be starting the next match.

On the face of it I'm with Lambert on that one. Some of these players need a rocket up them, it's far too easy to down tools and get another manager sacked, but at some point they need to take some personal responsibility. There seems to be the softest underbelly at this club. Whether you're in the squad or not, it doesn't mean you shouldn't have to travel with your teammates. It's not uncommon for players to feel unwell or get injured in the warm up. What does it tell you about the mentality of a player if they would rather not be there.

Of course you have to ask why they're so disengaged, and that ultimately comes back to the fraud of a manager. I would love to see a Nigel Pearson in there, he would shake things up.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 9:56]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:56 - Feb 19 with 1365 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:48 - Feb 19 by itfcjoe

Thanks Joe. So there was more to the story, glad I asked.

Utterly pathetic by Lambert in that case - to take him all that way knowing he was dropping the player just sounds childish and Lambert 'showing who's boss' and making an example of a player.

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:57 - Feb 19 with 1342 viewsGuthrum

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:51 - Feb 19 by JDB23

Is it not common to have 1 or 2 more in the travelling party in case there are injuries in the warm-up etc?

Yes. And tactical options.

But wouldn't it be reasonable to manage people's expectations beforehand (e.g. the reserves to know that will be their role)?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 10:00 - Feb 19 with 1294 viewsGlasgowBlue

Before everyone lays into Nolan (as it does sound pretty lame) on 09:42 - Feb 19 by Tangledupin_Blue

Completely agree. I’ve defended Nolan on here in the past as I think he’s very underrated. But he’s paid very well. And part of his job is to travel with the squad. If he isn’t selected then he is still being paid.

As bad a manager as Lambert has been in his time here, I have some sympathy for his views re Nolan.

That said, if I was Lambert I’d have had this sorted out within days and got him back performing rather than completely isolating him.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2021 10:03]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024