Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? 22:26 - Mar 3 with 2181 viewsPippin1970

As long as we keep winning games put smiles on our faces.
Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:32 - Mar 3 with 1919 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Me!!

But I sense we are in a minority.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:33 - Mar 3 with 1915 viewsCoco

it's more about how we progress and what's our ambition. Winning is great obviously but what happens if we go up? We simply cannot compete.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:36 - Mar 3 with 1891 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:33 - Mar 3 by Coco

it's more about how we progress and what's our ambition. Winning is great obviously but what happens if we go up? We simply cannot compete.

Cook was competitive with Wigan in a difficult situation.

But I agree, the championship is so tough.

I'm not even sure how the takeover addresses that particular problem.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:36 - Mar 3 with 1885 viewsnodge_blue

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:33 - Mar 3 by Coco

But what makes you think we are going to compete with a bit of consortium money?

How much do you think they are honestly going to spend on players?

Derby got Rooney - look where they are.

Brentford approach is probably the way we may eventually get there. Good football played by carefully picked footballers.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:37 - Mar 3 with 1873 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:36 - Mar 3 by nodge_blue

But what makes you think we are going to compete with a bit of consortium money?

Brentford approach is probably the way we may eventually get there. Good football played by carefully picked footballers.

This.

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:39 - Mar 3 with 1849 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:36 - Mar 3 by nodge_blue

Your point is correct. It is not about how much you spend but rather about spending it well.

However, £20M spent well is likely to go a lot further than £2M spent well.

Derby have done a great job of copying our model and spending a lot of money on players who have been very good players instead of investing in a team to perform.

Hopefully Cook will prove to spend money very well. Time will tell.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:39 - Mar 3 with 1849 viewsNthQldITFC

Well at least we won't get Rooney.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:40 - Mar 3 with 1836 viewsreusersfreekicks

The club needs to have a better structure with a good CEO or Director of Football. How that might happen remains to be seen. Just a new manager in the same structure is not enough.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:41 - Mar 3 with 1827 viewsclive_baker

The main thing for me is giving Cook and his team the best chance of succeeding here. To do that, and at the risk of sounding like Paul Lambert, I do think we need the right structure in place around them. There’s a real leadership vacuum at the moment that hopefully they’ll address.

The ownership was secondary to changing the manager for me in the short term, and getting this squad going for the next 16 games (+3 potentially), but we’re destined for longer term stagnation unless the wider systematic issues are resolved too.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:41 - Mar 3 with 1818 viewsWicklowBlue

At the end of the day winning games is the key objective. No matter what happens ownership wise, keep winning games and all is gravy!

If we get promoted that is when when extra investment and new owners will make a difference. As in all walks of life, results are what matter for any business.
Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:47 - Mar 3 with 1770 viewsCoco

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:36 - Mar 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

Cook was competitive with Wigan in a difficult situation.

But I agree, the championship is so tough.

I'm not even sure how the takeover addresses that particular problem.

oh I agree, I would hope any new guys coming in would have a strategy and ambition to execute it. Not expecting overnight results but Evans has 13 years and gone backwards.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:50 - Mar 3 with 1764 viewsTheBoyBlue

Yep, winning games is important. But if Evans is still at the helm just keeping us going, then it won't matter how good Cook is, he will be limited in how far he can take the club. We need someone who could invest taking the club forward. I don't know if the US consortium - or indeed any takeover - would do that, but I sure as heck know that Evans won't, however noble his intentions.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:51 - Mar 3 with 1761 viewsCoastalblue

I think a takeover is a complete gamble unless it's a stupid amount of oil money coming in from somewhere.

I'm not anti Evans and actually very grateful for all that he's done, but on the other hand he just seems to obstinately refuse to do what every body else in the world can see, appoint somebody who knows what they're doing and thenlet the run things within an agreed budget.

I'm fairly sure this consortium takeover is going to happen now and having done a bit more reading I'm cautiously optimistic that they can at least get the structure in place to get us back to a middling Championship club.

I do seriously worry what happens if it doesn't happen fast enough for them though, or what happens when they decide to cash in on their asset if it has gone well.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:56 - Mar 3 with 1719 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:40 - Mar 3 by reusersfreekicks

The club needs to have a better structure with a good CEO or Director of Football. How that might happen remains to be seen. Just a new manager in the same structure is not enough.

Agreed. Would love to see a good CEO come in.

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 23:02 - Mar 3 with 1693 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 23:09 - Mar 3 with 1670 viewsCoastalblue

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 23:02 - Mar 3 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

I don't disagree, but actually would be intrigued to know what O'Neill could do if he were given the chance. He clearly has done a decent job with the academy, it's highly unlikely to happen but it's possible he could make a very good fist of things if left to it.

However it happens we do need somebody who knows what they are doing in a footballing sense to make decisions that are likely to impact the club over time.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 23:58 - Mar 3 with 1554 viewsmonty_radio

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:41 - Mar 3 by clive_baker

The main thing for me is giving Cook and his team the best chance of succeeding here. To do that, and at the risk of sounding like Paul Lambert, I do think we need the right structure in place around them. There’s a real leadership vacuum at the moment that hopefully they’ll address.

The ownership was secondary to changing the manager for me in the short term, and getting this squad going for the next 16 games (+3 potentially), but we’re destined for longer term stagnation unless the wider systematic issues are resolved too.

The problem with the short term as you put it will likely be effectively addressed by appointing such a managerial big beast as Cook. He is exactly in the "wind him up and let him run mould" of Evans' favoured candidates. In various podcasts Cook talks about the need for the manager to be in control. But he also mentions "a team" (in reference to a chief exec/ sporting director). When the wall is hit, as it eventually must be when on the rise, and Cook then looks around, demands support, and discovers only the same-old, same-old, the short term project will have reached its end. I understand people's caution around a change of ownership, but stability is only an option when the foundations are secure.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 01:11 - Mar 4 with 1496 viewsbournemouthblue

Not bothered wouldn't be quite right but I'm not getting carried away either, we've been here once before

I certainly would welcome new investment and modern forward thinking owners who understand the current climate or are even slightly ahead of the curve.

There are quite a few of these multi-owned club networks now, it seems to be the new way of doing things and it may give us some advantages over our rivals.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 1:13]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 01:28 - Mar 4 with 1474 viewstextbackup

we have a manager that is of good stock, improves players, and seems a decent bloke.

that's enough for me at present

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 01:38 - Mar 4 with 1459 viewsStenvict

Exactly. Every man and his dog can see our squad is clearly one of the best in this division on paper, we just needed a competent coach to get the best out of them. We're stuck with these players until May at least so it doesn't matter if we're taken over or not.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 01:40 - Mar 4 with 1460 viewspointofblue

I’d be fine with Evans maintaining full ownership if he’d just put some bloody structure about the place. It feels like Lee O’Neill is Peter Butterworth’s character in Carry On Abroad - he keeps popping up wearing a different hat.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 01:59 - Mar 4 with 1447 viewstextbackup

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 01:40 - Mar 4 by pointofblue

I’d be fine with Evans maintaining full ownership if he’d just put some bloody structure about the place. It feels like Lee O’Neill is Peter Butterworth’s character in Carry On Abroad - he keeps popping up wearing a different hat.

how can we all see that its really all we need to give the club a completely different structure, but ME cant, or wont.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 04:32 - Mar 4 with 1369 viewsChurchman

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 01:40 - Mar 4 by pointofblue

After 13 years, the only structure in place is the mould growing on the roof. What makes anyone think he is going to start now?

Making a few noises now and again directly or through his latest stooge doesn’t change the reality of it
Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 04:54 - Mar 4 with 1357 viewswkj

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 22:32 - Mar 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

Me!!

But I sense we are in a minority.

I don't think many would care about the takeover if we suddenly got it together and things clicked, however, the majority probably don't believe it will go that far with Evans at the helm.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Anyone else not bothered about potential takeover? on 07:11 - Mar 4 with 1238 viewsVic

Hopefully we’re about to see ht difference a good coach makes to an average bunch of player. On Cooks past record I’m hopeful

I’m pretty sanguine about the takeover. Evans has been a steady pair of hands who has kept us safe in gentle decline. The new bunch sound like they intend to invest with the intend of getting us moving upwards. My concern is that despite good intentions it doesn’t always happen - as several have said, look at Derby. So then what happens? They will not have the interests of the club at heart like I think Evans does.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024