Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. 06:40 - Mar 15 with 6103 viewshomer_123

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56397157

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:42 - Mar 15 with 2973 viewsStokieBlue

I'm not surprised, I suspect most of the EU will do this now even though the EMA have said they shouldn't. The reputation has never recovered from the politicising a few months back. Interestingly there have been more people with blood clots vaccinated with Pfizer in the UK than AZ although it's very close which is what you would expect if it was the same as the standard background rate.

Having said that, if they feel more investigation is required then it's the right thing to do to pause their vaccinations. I think it's going to be pretty hard to establish a correlation though given what we know from the number in the UK vaccination programme. If they find one though then that is important information.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:46 - Mar 15 with 2955 viewsbluelagos

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:42 - Mar 15 by StokieBlue

I'm not surprised, I suspect most of the EU will do this now even though the EMA have said they shouldn't. The reputation has never recovered from the politicising a few months back. Interestingly there have been more people with blood clots vaccinated with Pfizer in the UK than AZ although it's very close which is what you would expect if it was the same as the standard background rate.

Having said that, if they feel more investigation is required then it's the right thing to do to pause their vaccinations. I think it's going to be pretty hard to establish a correlation though given what we know from the number in the UK vaccination programme. If they find one though then that is important information.

SB

Is there any benefit in getting a walk in post jab? On a plane you are supposed to move your legs to reduce the risks of DVT...

Apprediate it's a very low risk anyway.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:47 - Mar 15 with 2952 viewsnoggin

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:42 - Mar 15 by StokieBlue

SB

I know there are concerns about blood clots but that email I received suggested more concern about bleeding, due to reduced blood platelets.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:53 - Mar 15 with 2921 viewsStokieBlue

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:46 - Mar 15 by bluelagos

Is there any benefit in getting a walk in post jab? On a plane you are supposed to move your legs to reduce the risks of DVT...

I honestly don't know, although I would say there can be few negatives from a nice walk in any situation.

As you say, the risk looks very low if it even exists:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56397592

"The EMA said that, as of 10 March, there were just 30 reports of clots among almost five million people given the vaccine across Europe."

That's 0.0006%.

For comparison the odds of being struck by lightening are 0.0002%.

SB

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:55 - Mar 15 with 2901 viewsStokieBlue

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:47 - Mar 15 by noggin

I know there are concerns about blood clots but that email I received suggested more concern about bleeding, due to reduced blood platelets.

That's not what any of the countries except Norway are citing though. Did Norway even cite that publicly or just in your email?

SB
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 7:56]

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:57 - Mar 15 with 2887 viewsbluelagos

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:53 - Mar 15 by StokieBlue

I honestly don't know, although I would say there can be few negatives from a nice walk in any situation.

"The EMA said that, as of 10 March, there were just 30 reports of clots among almost five million people given the vaccine across Europe."

That's 0.0006%.

SB

Yeah, that the kind of odds I like :-)

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 08:01 - Mar 15 with 2875 viewsStokieBlue

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:57 - Mar 15 by bluelagos

Yeah, that the kind of odds I like :-)

Indeed :).

The real issue here is that whilst I understand why they feel the need to pause the rollout (even if I don't agree based on the evidence thus far) they could be causing themselves a real issue a few months down the road.

Most European countries don't have high levels of the B117 UK variant but it is starting to take over in Europe. If they aren't vaccinated they could see a big third wave from the more contagious variant when people start meeting indoors. This is essentially the point of the EMA that the benefits far outweigh any risks.

SB
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 8:02]

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 08:09 - Mar 15 with 2866 viewsLord_Lucan

If you take this to its conclusion then once 100% of Europe is vaccinated they could in theory blame every clot and cancer on vaccinations.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 08:11 - Mar 15 with 2843 viewsnoggin

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:55 - Mar 15 by StokieBlue

That's not what any of the countries except Norway are citing though. Did Norway even cite that publicly or just in your email?

SB
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 7:56]

I'm not actually working atm so I'm not hearing much more than that. It's rare for us to receive mail regarding such issues. Most news is issued via intraweb. I also haven't been following Norwegian news recently as I'm fed up with all the negativity.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 8:13]

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 08:18 - Mar 15 with 2796 viewshoppy

What happens to those that may have had a first jab, but due to have a second in April/May?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 08:18 - Mar 15 with 2794 viewsnoggin

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 08:11 - Mar 15 by noggin

I'm not actually working atm so I'm not hearing much more than that. It's rare for us to receive mail regarding such issues. Most news is issued via intraweb. I also haven't been following Norwegian news recently as I'm fed up with all the negativity.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 8:13]

From the Norwegian Health Authority. You'll have to translate it as it won't let me copy the translation.
https://www.fhi.no/nyheter/2021/meldinger-om-blodpropp/
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 8:21]

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 08:24 - Mar 15 with 2763 viewsbluelagos

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 08:18 - Mar 15 by hoppy

What happens to those that may have had a first jab, but due to have a second in April/May?

In the UK? No changes at all at the moment Hoppy.

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 08:25 - Mar 15 with 2755 viewslowhouseblue

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 08:01 - Mar 15 by StokieBlue

Indeed :).

The real issue here is that whilst I understand why they feel the need to pause the rollout (even if I don't agree based on the evidence thus far) they could be causing themselves a real issue a few months down the road.

Most European countries don't have high levels of the B117 UK variant but it is starting to take over in Europe. If they aren't vaccinated they could see a big third wave from the more contagious variant when people start meeting indoors. This is essentially the point of the EMA that the benefits far outweigh any risks.

SB
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 8:02]

i think it's not uncommon for some vaccines to have platelet issues as a known side effect. but those side effects are very rare and the positives massively outweigh any negative. there's nothing to suggest that the same isn't also true of the a z vaccine.

introducing a new vaccine during a global pandemic must be scarey stuff for regulators. the benefits are huge and you need to keep participation high. managing news about possible, but very rare, side effects must be very challenging.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 08:27 - Mar 15 with 2746 viewsSteve_M

This thread is hopefully a good place to add some rational thought about the number of cases of clots reported:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/15/evidence-oxford-vaccine-bl

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 08:27 - Mar 15 with 2743 viewsChurchman

SB

I think your first paragraph is very telling re Pfizer/AZ incidents of blood clotting. The only real difference is that AZ is under scrutiny like no other company. Whether it’s delivery, effectiveness or side effects, the EU microscope goes on it. It’s pretty obvious why.

Given the number of incidents of DVT/blood clots etc against the number of people vaccinated against the number of people who’ve died of this dreadful virus (16k in Netherlands alone), I am staggered that the Europeans still don’t appear to have their priorities right, even after the procurement disaster of last year. It feels a bit like fiddling while Rome burns.
And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 09:29 - Mar 15 with 2559 viewsOldsmoker

I had a blood clot in my left (phew) arm once.
NHS came to the rescue.
I now take Warfarin (Rat poison) every day to prevent blood clots.
They gave me the Astra-Zenica jab and there was no reaction at all.
I think the ban is because everyones a bit edgy about how quickly the vaccines were developed, tested and approved and they are understandably being cautious.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 09:36 - Mar 15 with 2506 viewsWD19

Is there any truth in the story that Alkmaar are planning to change their name as a precaution?
And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 09:37 - Mar 15 with 2499 viewsWeWereZombies

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:46 - Mar 15 by bluelagos

The protocol when I had my vaccination was that I had to arrive by car, and after the vaccination (which happened in what is normally the waiting room of the medical practice) go back to the car to sit in it for fifteen minutes afterwards before I drove off. This was a precaution just in case any immediate side effects became apparent. And the rain was lashing down and it was lunchtime, so I fecked off home [edit - after I had sat in the car for a quarter of an hour}.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2021 14:31]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 09:39 - Mar 15 with 2487 viewsSamuelowen88

I had the AZ vaccine on Thursday, as a generally well 32 year old with a minor underlying condition that meant I got bumped up the list.

Felt utter sh*te on Thursday evening and Friday. Starting to feel more normal now, but absolutely shattered. Not tired as in want to fall asleep, but I just drive for about 40 minutes to work and and done in. No energy.

But still delighted to have had it, and wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from doing the same

Poll: England v Wales Score

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 14:27 - Mar 15 with 2249 viewsChurchman

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 09:39 - Mar 15 by Samuelowen88

I had the AZ vaccine on Thursday, as a generally well 32 year old with a minor underlying condition that meant I got bumped up the list.

Felt utter sh*te on Thursday evening and Friday. Starting to feel more normal now, but absolutely shattered. Not tired as in want to fall asleep, but I just drive for about 40 minutes to work and and done in. No energy.

But still delighted to have had it, and wouldn't try to dissuade anyone from doing the same

Side effects clearly vary but who cares, it’s better than Covid! Had mine Saturday felt a bit like I’d had a beer too many yesterday but not too bad. Back to normal today including 9 mile walk this morning. My walking buddy: apart from a sore arm no side effects whatsoever. My misses: felt rubbish for a day and it took her a couple of days to feel normal. Bit luck of the draw from what I’ve heard.
And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 14:53 - Mar 15 with 2186 viewsGeoffSentence

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 07:53 - Mar 15 by StokieBlue

That's 0.0006%.

SB

They do seem to be taking a very cautious approach to vaccination in the EU. I'd say too cautious since the effects of covid and the odds of getting it are much higher.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 15:09 - Mar 15 with 2159 viewshoppy

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 08:24 - Mar 15 by bluelagos

In the UK? No changes at all at the moment Hoppy.

I had the Pfizer, but KJ had the AZ.

There's no truth in the allegation that I was given the Pfizer as an existing customer of any of their other products...

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 15:14 - Mar 15 with 2142 viewsbluelagos

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 15:09 - Mar 15 by hoppy

I had the Pfizer, but KJ had the AZ.

There's no truth in the allegation that I was given the Pfizer as an existing customer of any of their other products...

The lady in front of me this morning told me she was upset to be getting the AZ one as she had wanted the Oxford one.

Are you supposed to do the 15 minute rest thing? I just jumped in the car as no one said anything...

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 15:16 - Mar 15 with 2126 viewshoppy

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 15:14 - Mar 15 by bluelagos

The lady in front of me this morning told me she was upset to be getting the AZ one as she had wanted the Oxford one.

Are you supposed to do the 15 minute rest thing? I just jumped in the car as no one said anything...

At Trinity Park, when I went, they set a timer on the wall of the cubicle for 15 minutes, and they say when that's up, you can just go.

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 15:18 - Mar 15 with 2119 viewsbluelagos

And now the Dutch suspend the use of the A Z vaccine. on 15:16 - Mar 15 by hoppy

At Trinity Park, when I went, they set a timer on the wall of the cubicle for 15 minutes, and they say when that's up, you can just go.

Think I was maybe supposed to then. Ah well, I'll know for next time.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024