Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? 10:14 - Apr 14 with 1964 viewsSteve_M

He's had a poor season, mainly through injury but also his own stupidity in getting sent off against Northampton but has still been one of our better players (yes, low bar I know) when he had played. He was certainly our best player last night and his post-match reaction has the right approach:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/flynn-downes-on-ipswich-town-wimbledon

I hope so but might just depend who comes in for him.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:16 - Apr 14 with 1572 viewshype313

I think with Covid clubs will be certainly looking to tighten belts, so it might actually be a blessing in disguise for us, as I can't see anyone getting near our valuation, and with the new owners we might be in a far stronger position to turn down offers.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:16 - Apr 14 with 1568 viewsJ2BLUE

I think he'll be hoping to get out. I don't know him and i'm guessing but I think he'll be hoping Palace or another club come back for him. Trouble is, like you say, he's had a poor season so can't see who are going to offer us enough.

Quite frankly though, I don't care that much. It's blasphemy on here but if our first business of the summer is selling Downes and Dozzell i'll barely raise an eyebrow.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:17 - Apr 14 with 1558 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I think he'll stay. The changes over the Summer and the potential being shown by the new guys at the top mean he'll want to be part of something I'd imagine.

He does need to get some of the disciplinary issues out of his game if he can, and he'll develop into a top quality midfielder.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:21 - Apr 14 with 1532 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:16 - Apr 14 by J2BLUE

I think he'll be hoping to get out. I don't know him and i'm guessing but I think he'll be hoping Palace or another club come back for him. Trouble is, like you say, he's had a poor season so can't see who are going to offer us enough.

Quite frankly though, I don't care that much. It's blasphemy on here but if our first business of the summer is selling Downes and Dozzell i'll barely raise an eyebrow.

I think differently on Downes, but totally agree on Doz. If he goes in the summer, I'll think, with a shrug of my shoulders, "Could bite us in the ass, could fade into nothing, like Westlake did"

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:24 - Apr 14 with 1500 viewsSWGF

Not sure many clubs will be investing in "projects". Palace were only prepared to go so far with their bid, looking to loan him to the Champ rather than seeing Downes as a nailed-on Prem starter. I wouldn't suggest his subsequent season hasn't added to his value/reputation.

Make him skipper or even more integral to the build. Sell the vision to him. He could be one that grows with us *IN THEORY*.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Captain material on 10:25 - Apr 14 with 1471 viewsC_Jam_Blue

Downes has been the best of a bad bunch the last couple of games, would he be a good choice of captain to kick of the new era?
Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:27 - Apr 14 with 1447 viewshype313

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:21 - Apr 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

I think differently on Downes, but totally agree on Doz. If he goes in the summer, I'll think, with a shrug of my shoulders, "Could bite us in the ass, could fade into nothing, like Westlake did"

I'm ambivalent toward Dozzell, I remember feeling quite disheartened when the talk of Norwich taking him for £5m was swirling around, now I just think his career has stalled, He's a nice to have type of player, but we can't carry nice to have's in this league.

Hope he does push on, either here or elsewhere, but if his name was Andre Smith I think you would find a different view on him from the majority of fans...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:27 - Apr 14 with 1442 viewsSomethingBlue

Fear is that he'll end up with some relatively no-mark Championship club that can still blow us out of the water, at this point, financially and prospects-wise. Big task for the new regime to work out how to handle the few playing assets we do have.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:32 - Apr 14 with 1395 viewsgordon

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:27 - Apr 14 by SomethingBlue

Fear is that he'll end up with some relatively no-mark Championship club that can still blow us out of the water, at this point, financially and prospects-wise. Big task for the new regime to work out how to handle the few playing assets we do have.

Think that we have quite a few players who would look like world-beaters in a competently run club, with good coaching, tactics and conditioning / fitness work.

Downes, Bishop, Woolfenden, KVY, Nydam, Dozzell, Kenlock etc.
Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:37 - Apr 14 with 1360 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Hopefully he can be sold the dream of the takeover and be persuaded to stay. I wouldn't be surprised if Cook offered him the captains armband as a way of keeping him

Have a feeling he'll stay
Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:39 - Apr 14 with 1336 viewsSomethingBlue

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:32 - Apr 14 by gordon

Think that we have quite a few players who would look like world-beaters in a competently run club, with good coaching, tactics and conditioning / fitness work.

Downes, Bishop, Woolfenden, KVY, Nydam, Dozzell, Kenlock etc.

Yep. Would perhaps lop Kenlock off that list but there's definitely a core that would do well in a functioning operation. Some of them may understandably feel it's time for a new challenge though, and the club might too — probably don't want too many who carry the weight of past disappointments so it's a fine balance to strike.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:43 - Apr 14 with 1303 viewsRegencyBlue

This will be an interesting one.

On the one hand I imagine his agent will be in his ear and approaching clubs to try and engineer a move, following Palaces previous interest. On the other, as you say, he’s not had the best of seasons so it’s hard to judge what interest there might be currently.

A mid table Championship club could well come in for him but whether they would meet our valuation, after the last year’s events, is doubtful. On balance I think he will remain here but I wouldn’t be surprised if he moves on either.

Fence sitting or what!
Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:48 - Apr 14 with 1260 viewsHerbivore

Given the difficult year he's had and the fact he's now a year older and arguably has some question marks over his fitness after some lengthy spells out, it's hard to see anyone coming in with an offer we'd see as acceptable. Downes may well want to move on but if all we get is a £1m offer from a middling Championship side I'm not sure he can really expect us to take it.

Palace weren't bidding that much more last summer after he was coming off a strong season, so I'd be surprised to see Prem interest this time around and I'd be surprised to see anyone coming close to the £4m we were asking for him.

If we can also sell him the project here and show intent by bringing in some of our main targets early in the summer he might be more up for staying as well. He's certainly someone we could build a team around, not just in this league but in the Championship also.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:00 - Apr 14 with 1187 viewsChurchman

We surely want players here who want to be here. If Downes wants out, say goodbye as fast as possible. By all means pay players well, but the ‘contract’ is that they have to want to do it and do it professionally.

With the new owners we should be looking to build a club that people would crawl over broken glass to play for and feel it a privilege. Not wasters looking to eke out there pensions, settle for mediocrity, twitter and the boozer, not a club for cliques and a place for loanees to get fit.

Downes is a good player at this level and I think for the Championship, but for me I’m suspicious about his attitude. That may be harsh as we are on the outside looking in and I don’t know the bloke. Same applies regarding the Chambers influence on the players. Positive or negative, good or bad, we just don’t know. Interesting though.

In conclusion, no. We should not persuade Downes to stay under any circumstances. He either wants to be part of it or go.
Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:08 - Apr 14 with 1130 viewsjayessess

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:00 - Apr 14 by Churchman

We surely want players here who want to be here. If Downes wants out, say goodbye as fast as possible. By all means pay players well, but the ‘contract’ is that they have to want to do it and do it professionally.

With the new owners we should be looking to build a club that people would crawl over broken glass to play for and feel it a privilege. Not wasters looking to eke out there pensions, settle for mediocrity, twitter and the boozer, not a club for cliques and a place for loanees to get fit.

Downes is a good player at this level and I think for the Championship, but for me I’m suspicious about his attitude. That may be harsh as we are on the outside looking in and I don’t know the bloke. Same applies regarding the Chambers influence on the players. Positive or negative, good or bad, we just don’t know. Interesting though.

In conclusion, no. We should not persuade Downes to stay under any circumstances. He either wants to be part of it or go.

The economics of that are a problem. We have to maximise the value of your assets and if every time we get a good young players and they want to move on we just say "sure, if you don't want to be here, why not?" then you aren't going to be able to do that.

In reality, Downes is under contract and he has value. You have to be prepared to say no if people aren't prepared to match that value.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:09 - Apr 14 with 1127 viewsWallingford_Boy

I'd love him to stay but just can't see it, why would he?

There is bound to be Championship interest in him if nothing else and the squad is such a mess here, he'd be mad to turn down the chance to step up.

There is hope with the money we have, but thats all it is at the moment, the facts are the squad is the worst in living memory, with no signs of improvement so a huge overhaul is required.

He wanted to leave before, when we were in less of a mess (team wise), so can't see what that'd change.

I really hope I am wrong though!

RIP Sir Bobby

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:11 - Apr 14 with 1111 viewsSteve_M

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:00 - Apr 14 by Churchman

Given the state of the club, a middling third division one at the moment, then there needs to be some persuasion to get players to want to play here. Cook and the takeover offer some of that.

Persuading a player who might be good enough for the Premier League one day and is certainly good enough for the Championship to stay here would be a good thing. I'm not sure that the ambition to play at a higher level is something that should be held against Downes as some fans seem to.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 11:34]

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:15 - Apr 14 with 1070 viewsHerbivore

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:09 - Apr 14 by Wallingford_Boy

There is bound to be Championship interest in him if nothing else and the squad is such a mess here, he'd be mad to turn down the chance to step up.

There is hope with the money we have, but thats all it is at the moment, the facts are the squad is the worst in living memory, with no signs of improvement so a huge overhaul is required.

He wanted to leave before, when we were in less of a mess (team wise), so can't see what that'd change.

He may well want to go. As you say, he wanted to go last year when we had a concrete offer from a Prem side. However, he is still here. Whether he goes or not is not entirely in his own power, he's under contract and we would have to receive an acceptable offer for him. I'd be surprised if there is Prem interest given the tough season he's had and I'd be surprised if anyone is willing to pay more than the sum we turned down from Palace last year.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2021 11:17]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:16 - Apr 14 with 1072 viewschrismakin

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:16 - Apr 14 by J2BLUE

I may be going all football manager here

But I would like to see a full reset

All players, coaching staff replaced.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:20 - Apr 14 with 1019 viewshaynes_toe1

I'd want him to stay and there's a good chance clubs won't be paying the sort of fee's they'd need to get him, at least I hope so.

Put it this way, if we sold him, there's no way we're signing a better replacement whilst in League One
Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:26 - Apr 14 with 1001 viewsDeano69

My thinking is either build the team round him as captain, or let him go.

Quite honestly if he was the only one left out of the 50 I would mind at all.

Big risk bearing in mind his injury record, but quite honestly I am total fed up with the whole lot of them. All I am hearing is the whole team, coaches and management telling us its not good enough, we should be better, the fans deserve more. Well. Do. Something. About. It. We are bored with being told what we already know, put some fight in to it, have pride in the shirt, do it for your own credibility and integrity.

(well that escalated quickly, soz for the rant)

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:29 - Apr 14 with 986 viewsDeano69

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 10:27 - Apr 14 by hype313

I'm ambivalent toward Dozzell, I remember feeling quite disheartened when the talk of Norwich taking him for £5m was swirling around, now I just think his career has stalled, He's a nice to have type of player, but we can't carry nice to have's in this league.

Hope he does push on, either here or elsewhere, but if his name was Andre Smith I think you would find a different view on him from the majority of fans...

Tricky one as I wouldn't want to fall in the trap of building just a side that can perform and progress from League One. We need to already be thinking ahead and build for Championship football at the very least.

I cant disagree with the thought that AD is a 'nice to have' at this level, but if we are serious about progressing I suspect he (on his day) is exactly the sort of player we should be trying to attract.

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:35 - Apr 14 with 975 viewsSteve_M

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:26 - Apr 14 by Deano69

My thinking is either build the team round him as captain, or let him go.

Quite honestly if he was the only one left out of the 50 I would mind at all.

Big risk bearing in mind his injury record, but quite honestly I am total fed up with the whole lot of them. All I am hearing is the whole team, coaches and management telling us its not good enough, we should be better, the fans deserve more. Well. Do. Something. About. It. We are bored with being told what we already know, put some fight in to it, have pride in the shirt, do it for your own credibility and integrity.

(well that escalated quickly, soz for the rant)

Is Downes injury record particularly bad? He came back from a knee injury in three months and his hamstring didn't keep out for very long.

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:41 - Apr 14 with 954 viewsDeano69

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:35 - Apr 14 by Steve_M

Is Downes injury record particularly bad? He came back from a knee injury in three months and his hamstring didn't keep out for very long.

I suppose I was thinking of those recent injuries and the terrible record we have here of recurring-injuries. May be less of a risk than I am giving it credit for.

I think the captaincy could be the making of him.

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:44 - Apr 14 with 944 viewsIwasthere

Can Cook & the takeover persuade Downes to stay for another season? on 11:09 - Apr 14 by Wallingford_Boy

Under our new ownership i am assuming that we will be able to recruit on the same terms as many of the championship clubs regarding wages.This in turn should add quality to the squad and influence Downes to stay, maybe with the potential of a new contract.
I like many others am bitterly disappointed with our current squad. Looking on the brighter side, if we had achieved promotion this season we would be panic buying players, at inflated prices, to stay there.
Next season gives us a chance to recruit for the longer term, hopefully get promoted to the championship and have a solid basis to compete there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024