Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... 12:47 - Aug 2 with 5350 viewsitfcjoe

.....do you think we'll see it on Saturday?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 12:49 - Aug 2 with 3548 viewsCoco

It's been the 4-2-3-1 hasn't it? With Pigott deeper.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 12:49 - Aug 2 with 3547 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I love 442, if we comfortable playing it then I'd like to see it.

Having said that PC has always been a 4231 man.

Ideally it would be good if we were fluid enough to mix it up a bit.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 12:54 - Aug 2 with 3485 viewsBluefish

This pre season feels a mess to me. Plenty of players involved that probably won't be when the season starts and no real direction for formations and patterns of play. Some of it can't be helped with the player turnover but equally we should be able to ask questions of Cook setting his stall out and getting it right. We still had something to play for last season and he got nothing at all from the team, if he had written them off he had plenty of time to set out a plan for the summer.

I can't cope with yet another season of everyone declaring everything is wonderful and piling on anyone who questions the glaring holes.

No ifs, no buts, no excuses this season. He has been backed, not expecting 10-0 every game or not to have early errors but we need to be up there from the start

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 12:59 - Aug 2 with 3418 viewsParsley

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 12:54 - Aug 2 by Bluefish

This pre season feels a mess to me. Plenty of players involved that probably won't be when the season starts and no real direction for formations and patterns of play. Some of it can't be helped with the player turnover but equally we should be able to ask questions of Cook setting his stall out and getting it right. We still had something to play for last season and he got nothing at all from the team, if he had written them off he had plenty of time to set out a plan for the summer.

I can't cope with yet another season of everyone declaring everything is wonderful and piling on anyone who questions the glaring holes.

No ifs, no buts, no excuses this season. He has been backed, not expecting 10-0 every game or not to have early errors but we need to be up there from the start

Feels to me like we're a couple of games short still, hopefully we can come through the Morcambe game with a result and use the league cup game to give minutes to players that need it and then properly get going after that.

The main difference between formations as far as I can tell is if you have a striker or midfielder as the no. 10. I think going by the friendlies it would be strange to suddenly change it and so I reckon we'll go with two strikers to start and then adapt things throughout the season, maybe dependent on bringing in another midfielder.
We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 12:59 - Aug 2 with 3419 viewsitfcjoe

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 12:49 - Aug 2 by Coco

Not really, at best it's been a 4411 with one striker playing deeper but taking it in turns to do so.

Wonder if it's something we'll see it employed a lot in the home fistures

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:01 - Aug 2 with 3387 viewsCoastalblue

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 12:54 - Aug 2 by Bluefish

I hate myself for saying it, because you're wrong most of the time ;) But I tend to agree.

Looks like we have a real structure at the club now put in place, but I can't help feeling that for a man who seems to be so welded to a system and way of playing PC seems a bit muddled in the preseason.

It does appear as though he's getting everything he says he needs, so while I don't expect us to win every game or storm the league you would hope for progression and performances quite quickly. The gelling thing only washes so far at this level when most teams have to gel at the start of every season.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:02 - Aug 2 with 3363 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

No, I dont think so.

But I do think he will play two strikers, but not upfront.

Hladky

KVY. Edmundson. Nsiala Penny

Harper. Evans

Bonne Chaplin Fraser

Piggot

Is how I expect us to line up.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:03 - Aug 2 with 3364 viewsitfcjoe

It feels a very different pre season this year - like those in strength and conditioning have decided (across football not just ITFC) that PSFs are even less important now than they ever were and that they are just training exercises in a different setting.

There have been signs of what we are trying to do, but we still look a bit undercooked to me, Millwall looked half a yard sharper than us across the pitch on Saturday.

i agree with the final para, there seems to be a number of fans who have bemoaned the fact that the club have been happy to be mediocre for years who think a transition season is acceptable

Login to get fewer ads

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:40 - Aug 2 with 3063 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:03 - Aug 2 by itfcjoe

It feels a very different pre season this year - like those in strength and conditioning have decided (across football not just ITFC) that PSFs are even less important now than they ever were and that they are just training exercises in a different setting.

There have been signs of what we are trying to do, but we still look a bit undercooked to me, Millwall looked half a yard sharper than us across the pitch on Saturday.

i agree with the final para, there seems to be a number of fans who have bemoaned the fact that the club have been happy to be mediocre for years who think a transition season is acceptable

'Undercooked'... I see what you did there.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:48 - Aug 2 with 2973 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I think those who think we have been playing 4-4-2 will see us line up 4-4-2. Those who believe the pre-season has been 4-2-3-1 will see us as lining up 4-2-3-1 and those who think it has been 4-4-1-1 will see it as 4-4-1-1.

Or in other words, whatever we think of the system, I suspect Cook will be sticking with what he has been doing.

The important thing is that however it is interpreted that it works. I do hope Cook is flexible enough to get it to work if it doesn't. As Ashton has said, we need to be better than all the other teams at everything. That includes tactics and employing ones that work for the players we have and the game situations we face.

COYB!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:49 - Aug 2 with 2971 viewsSomethingBlue

Or a variation of it, yeah. A point would be a fantastic start for Morecambe and Cook has pretty much teed up that we'll try two up against those sides. And until Chaplin/Fraser are ready then we're not very well equipped to play anything else tbh.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:53 - Aug 2 with 2909 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:49 - Aug 2 by SomethingBlue

Or a variation of it, yeah. A point would be a fantastic start for Morecambe and Cook has pretty much teed up that we'll try two up against those sides. And until Chaplin/Fraser are ready then we're not very well equipped to play anything else tbh.

Are Chaplin and Fraser not ready? Did they both pick up knocks?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:53 - Aug 2 with 2906 viewsunstableblue

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:03 - Aug 2 by itfcjoe

I think we look undercooked from both a sharpness/desire perspective and a system/shape perspective which worries me

We should have better players this season
Cook has promised that the team won’t leave anything on the pitch and the commitment will be there
I just still have a niggling suspicion as to whether we’ll have the tactical and system advantage… as you say seems to be 4-4-2… but 4-2-3-1 is preferred.

Hoping the Millwall and Col U games have just dampened my optimism and Saturday will see us click… but it will be like a day at Wembley for Morecombe so they may fight and want it more!!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:56 - Aug 2 with 2886 viewsitfcsuth

I've seen Dartford, Palace and Col U.

It has looked predominately a 4-4-2 which has sometimes seen a striker drop into the pocket to make a 4-4-1-1. I think both Pigott and Bonne are able to drop into the pocket - Norwood less so for me.

If Scott Fraser isn't quite fit enough, it will make his decision for him I think.
We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:56 - Aug 2 with 2882 viewsDubtractor

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 12:49 - Aug 2 by Coco

I've only seen Saturday, but that was def 442.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:56 - Aug 2 with 2887 viewsPhilTWTD

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 12:59 - Aug 2 by itfcjoe

Not really, at best it's been a 4411 with one striker playing deeper but taking it in turns to do so.

Wonder if it's something we'll see it employed a lot in the home fistures

I think that's a fair assessment, although I think Pigott was predominently dropping and more effective at doing so, although we had very little going forward full stop on Saturday.

Paul Cook did mention the system on Saturday if you missed it: “We’ve played with the two up front because we haven’t really had a defined number 10. There’s so much work to do."
We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:58 - Aug 2 with 2853 viewsgordon

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:56 - Aug 2 by PhilTWTD

I think that's a fair assessment, although I think Pigott was predominently dropping and more effective at doing so, although we had very little going forward full stop on Saturday.

Paul Cook did mention the system on Saturday if you missed it: “We’ve played with the two up front because we haven’t really had a defined number 10. There’s so much work to do."

Is there some issue with Scott Fraser, then? I thought he had been signed to be the no. 10?
We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:58 - Aug 2 with 2849 viewsdavblue

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:56 - Aug 2 by PhilTWTD

Targeting a player to play in the ten then?
We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:59 - Aug 2 with 2840 viewsgordon

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:56 - Aug 2 by Dubtractor

I've only seen Saturday, but that was def 442.

Yes, it's pretty standard in a 442 for one to play on the shoulder of the centre-backs and one to drop in and receive the ball in between the defence and midfield.
We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 14:04 - Aug 2 with 2792 viewsitfcsuth

A transition season is not acceptable for me, but a transition period is.

I think anyone suggesting 4 pre season games with a new squad with such a high turnover in player is away with the fairies.

We have to finish top 6 minimum, but it will be a bumpy ride - and I think a few toys will be thrown at the first sight of trouble.

*Not saying this directly aimed at yourself though, just as a general reply.
We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 14:06 - Aug 2 with 2769 viewsPhilTWTD

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:58 - Aug 2 by gordon

Is there some issue with Scott Fraser, then? I thought he had been signed to be the no. 10?

He was injured on Saturday, so that may have been what he meant on Saturday, although he could have played Dobra there as it's his preferred position. Perhaps he felt he needed him wide.
We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 14:06 - Aug 2 with 2765 viewsportmanking

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:58 - Aug 2 by davblue

Fraser surely our number ten? Possibly alluding to his lack of fitness.
We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 14:07 - Aug 2 with 2763 viewsPhilTWTD

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 13:58 - Aug 2 by davblue

As Gordon says, Fraser was presumably brought into play there. Perhaps they do want another one to take that role, although Chaplin is another option. Perhaps he wasn't considered fit enough on Saturday.
We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 14:09 - Aug 2 with 2733 viewsbluefunk

Why do we need to be up there from the start? That hasn’t worked out for us in the last two seasons
We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 14:18 - Aug 2 with 2672 viewsMrTown

We seem to have gone 442 for every pre season game this year.... on 14:06 - Aug 2 by PhilTWTD

He was injured on Saturday, so that may have been what he meant on Saturday, although he could have played Dobra there as it's his preferred position. Perhaps he felt he needed him wide.

I like watching Armando, think he's a really confident lad, good carrier of the ball, but I don't see him being a no.10 regardless of whether he views that as his preferred position.

I think he will/ and does his best work isolating and beating his full back, coming inside from that left side.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2021 14:19]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024