Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
so.... 09:00 - Sep 29 with 2941 viewsblueysbackside

I am interested to know if anyone who wanted Cook out three games ago is prepared to accept that that it's possible - just possible - that the tide is turning. Anyone changed their mind on him?
so.... on 09:05 - Sep 29 with 2514 viewsGuthrum

The last few games are stopping me changing my mind on him. I was beginning to despair, given that there were no signs of improvement, indeed that we were going backwards with the nature of the Bolton defeat.

With an unbeaten run of three games, including two wins, a corner does seem finally to have been turned.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

so.... on 09:07 - Sep 29 with 2507 viewspatrickswell

Get on a run with more wins than draws and we’ll be able to have something to buy in to. They got the result they needed yesterday in order to convert 4 points to 7, now push on from there.
so.... on 09:09 - Sep 29 with 2501 viewsSteve_M

We're still barely managing a point a game in the third division, yesterday was really good but we need to follow that up over the next few months before deciding that everything is working.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 9:53]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

so.... on 09:10 - Sep 29 with 2494 viewsHerbivore

Think only about three people were calling for Cook to go so not sure how much life this thread will have. It's pleasing we've now strung some results together and had a big win. We're still 19th currently and we need to be converting this mini run into something much more substantial to get us up the table and into the mix, which is where we really should be given the squad we've assembled. Let's hope these positive signs translate into a good run of form, that's what everyone wants to see.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

so.... on 09:12 - Sep 29 with 2475 viewsMetal_Hacker

Can't say I wanted Cook out but I was losing patience and without pi55ing on people's parades , we're still a long way off where I expect us to be.I'm still very cautious and whilst a great result last night the performance for me , could be better

Individual performances stood out with seemingly some partnerships developing BUT we can still get better

Not being a doom-monger just being realistic - as they say one swallow doesn't make a summer .Last night's result will be wasted if we don't follow it up with a decent performance/result at Accrington .This now needs to be a platform to grow from not to rejoice around

Poll: If it were one or the other

so.... on 09:14 - Sep 29 with 2462 viewsDinDjarin

so.... on 09:10 - Sep 29 by Herbivore

Think only about three people were calling for Cook to go so not sure how much life this thread will have. It's pleasing we've now strung some results together and had a big win. We're still 19th currently and we need to be converting this mini run into something much more substantial to get us up the table and into the mix, which is where we really should be given the squad we've assembled. Let's hope these positive signs translate into a good run of form, that's what everyone wants to see.

If we win our game in hand then we are up to 12th still not great but next 4 games all 100% winnable.
so.... on 09:24 - Sep 29 with 2376 viewsChurchman

I initially said review end of Oct after his first few months miserable effort. I reduced that after the Bolton shambles where we looked to be going nowhere. The last three games buys him another month in that let’s see how we are doing then.

Cook has been abject in the last six months. We are near the bottom of a desperately poor League One and he is lucky to still be in a job. But he is still here and I hope we will be saying how lucky we are to have him managing here at the end of the season.

Maybe the tide is turning. It’s what everyone wants. I think we will know at the end of Oct. For now, I’m just happy to enjoy the best win we’ve had in a very long time.
so.... on 09:35 - Sep 29 with 2332 viewsnodge_blue

I have always just about stayed on board, but you have to say after the Bolton game, even Cook said that was his lowest point as a manager. (Which is why he didnt gloat much last night knowing Wellens would be that low now too). Three games on and we cant say we are totally out of the woods. We beat the bottom team who had just been down to Plymouth.

But...theres plenty of reasons for optimism. This squad is a big improvement. We look like we can score goals. And football is so much more enjoyable when you are scoring goals rather than hanging out for a 1-0 Mick McCarthy defensive lump it forward approach. Im as pleased about that as much as anything as I "don't mind" being in league 1 if we are playing good football and enjoying it. I used to think that being in the PL was everything but Im not so sure now. Just having a good time and watching good football still gives you a great feeling.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Login to get fewer ads

so.... on 09:44 - Sep 29 with 2293 viewsthebooks

I don’t think we quite got to the stage where the trigger should have been pulled, partly because when you give a manager a free hand you do have to let it play out fully, partly because it was hard to envisage this quality squad not clicking. I could probably manage them well in this league.

My only real fear is that we don’t kick on straight away. We played well against Linclon, but played the same old way against Wednesday, who were OK but not fantastic. Donny were diabolical and looked like a bottom placed team with no plan, talent or confidecne (although of course we did shut them out completely).

Celina showed some signs of getting match sharp again. If he clicks and we actually play the ball to him (which we failed to do for the first half hour last night) we could really fire.
so.... on 09:51 - Sep 29 with 2254 viewsChrisd

so.... on 09:14 - Sep 29 by DinDjarin

If we win our game in hand then we are up to 12th still not great but next 4 games all 100% winnable.

Saturday's game will be really interesting for me, Accrington away we generally struggle with whether that is due to their style of play, the smaller ground and facilities, the crowd so tight to the pitch, conditions etc.. but we invariably come unstuck against them at their place. There's no doubt they will make it uncomfortable and they won't allow us to play, but if we can get a result there I think then we can say that we have turned the corner. There has been signs in recent games, but I'm hoping last night's result will give the players confidence and belief in going forwards.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

so.... on 09:54 - Sep 29 with 2240 viewsHerbivore

so.... on 09:51 - Sep 29 by Chrisd

Saturday's game will be really interesting for me, Accrington away we generally struggle with whether that is due to their style of play, the smaller ground and facilities, the crowd so tight to the pitch, conditions etc.. but we invariably come unstuck against them at their place. There's no doubt they will make it uncomfortable and they won't allow us to play, but if we can get a result there I think then we can say that we have turned the corner. There has been signs in recent games, but I'm hoping last night's result will give the players confidence and belief in going forwards.

We've played there twice in League 1 and we've lost one and won one? The win there came earlier this year.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 9:54]

so.... on 10:00 - Sep 29 with 2209 viewsChrisd

so.... on 09:54 - Sep 29 by Herbivore

We've played there twice in League 1 and we've lost one and won one? The win there came earlier this year.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 9:54]

We've also lost there in the FA Cup quite recently was it 2019? So 3 games, 2 losses. I suppose for me it sticks in my head the way we capitulated against them from that first encounter under PL and we were undefeated at that time and sitting top of the league, just folded against their physical challenge.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 10:04]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

so.... on 12:09 - Sep 29 with 2093 viewspositivity

so.... on 09:10 - Sep 29 by Herbivore

only 7 people wanted cook out "right now", when i asked the question 2 weeks ago, so it wasn't a common view on here

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

so.... on 12:20 - Sep 29 with 2042 viewshype313

After the Bolton debacle I said give it 3 more games to see where the land lies.

Thankfully since that defeat we have turned a mini tide, but we must keep up the momentum against Accrington on Saturday. With Morsy in the team, he gives us that stability and fluidity which we have missed in our opening games.

By no means do I think Cook is the messiah, but if he carries on bringing these performances then we should start to look ok league wise going forward.

Everyone has a blip, lets hope that we have got over ours and done with early doors.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2021 12:22]

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

so.... on 12:26 - Sep 29 with 2013 viewsdirtyboy

so.... on 09:51 - Sep 29 by Chrisd

Stanley keep the ball well, so ignoring their freakish result last night, it's another tough game.

If we win that though, puts us on 13 points...

If we win our game in hand, puts us on 16 points and I suspect only a win and a draw off the play off positions.

Obviously the game in hand won't be for a while now, so there will be a gap for a bit regardless.

Worst case Saturday, 10 points off 6th
Best case Saturday, 4 points off 6th

(reality we'll be somewhere between that)

Win this, Shrewsbury and Cambridge, then things will look entirely different again.

All ifs and buts.

Cook still gets a full season with me though (unless we're only a few point above relegation!)

Lots of twists and turns to go as yet.
so.... on 12:31 - Sep 29 with 1988 viewsCheltenham_Blue

so.... on 12:09 - Sep 29 by positivity

only 7 people wanted cook out "right now", when i asked the question 2 weeks ago, so it wasn't a common view on here

Names?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

so.... on 12:34 - Sep 29 with 1977 viewsDyland

I didn't want him out. Always said needed to wait well into October to properly judge how the team was coming together. Saying that, I thought after the first game that despite drawing it may be September we click. Maybe that was right ;) And saying that, I was a little concerned after Wimbledon especially that Cook had no plan B. The Bolton debacle can be taken in isolation imo cos of the absurd errors, and I'm not convinced blame can just be laid at Cook's door... notwithstanding that the lack of understanding and cohesion on the pitch was because of his decision to rip up the squad.

It will take more time still imo, but beat Accrington or draw and perform well, I'll say we've deffo turned the corner.

Last night was quite unreal after the sh1te we've witnessed since McCarthy's run. And possibly since we beat Boro when Tabby scored a header... gmpf...

Some standout performances last night from various players, but ALL made possible by Morsy's performance. Honestly, I have goosebumps just writing this again. He had a ridiculously good game, and many fans were probably scrutinizing it. Breathtakingly good for this level. Just ridiculous. Hyperbole? Maybe... but not seen that kind of midfield display for many many years from a Town player, and in his second game... first really in terms of first team... whatever our first team is.

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

so.... on 12:35 - Sep 29 with 1974 viewsitfcjoe

It was vital we bounced back quickly from that Bolton game, and Lincoln away was probably one of the worst fixtures we could have had of the back of it and we've picked up a good run of results, with a real opportunity to push on over next 3 games.

My opinions haven't broadly changed since then - he needed to be doing a lot more over a long period, and has started to do so - there is little excuse for us not to be right up there and we all now hope that is where we are sooner rather than later

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

exactly on 12:40 - Sep 29 with 1937 viewsDyland

so.... on 12:35 - Sep 29 by itfcjoe

It was vital we bounced back quickly from that Bolton game, and Lincoln away was probably one of the worst fixtures we could have had of the back of it and we've picked up a good run of results, with a real opportunity to push on over next 3 games.

My opinions haven't broadly changed since then - he needed to be doing a lot more over a long period, and has started to do so - there is little excuse for us not to be right up there and we all now hope that is where we are sooner rather than later

But can't you just shutup and enjoy the game Joe... gmpf ;)

Slight concern by the lack of cover for Morsy position. Though Carroll and El Miz did okay, even though the overall play against the Owls was pretty disjointed. But it would be, eh, they keep chopping and changing.

If Cook is finding a plan B (and C) with his midfield options that doesn't rely on Morsy, we will have a good season.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

so.... on 13:00 - Sep 29 with 1875 viewsunstableblue

so.... on 12:31 - Sep 29 by Cheltenham_Blue

Names?

Burn them at the stake whilst we dance around chanting “In Cook we Trust” to tribal rhythms

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

so.... on 13:04 - Sep 29 with 1848 viewschicoazul

so.... on 09:14 - Sep 29 by DinDjarin

Bolton at home was winnable. Our first three games were winnable. People are going nuts over a big win at home against the bottom team. Yes I hope the season starts here; yes it’s reasonable to question Cook and his ability to get us out of this mess.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

so.... on 13:10 - Sep 29 with 1818 viewspositivity

so.... on 12:31 - Sep 29 by Cheltenham_Blue

Names?

i'm thinking some of them might be using pseudonyms, but the link is:-

do any of you think cook should go right now? by positivity 13 Sep 2021 15:46
and if so, why?

(i think it's too early to make a call)

so.... on 13:23 - Sep 29 with 1779 viewsHerbivore

so.... on 13:10 - Sep 29 by positivity

i'm thinking some of them might be using pseudonyms, but the link is:-

do any of you think cook should go right now? by positivity 13 Sep 2021 15:46
and if so, why?

(i think it's too early to make a call)

Can only see about three people saying yes he should go now. A couple of others venting some justified frustration. Not sure there's really been a Cook Out mob in the way that some have suggested.

so.... on 13:59 - Sep 29 with 1705 viewsMattinLondon

Until the team averages two points a game then I’ll always will think that he’s underperforming as a manager. Last night was a huge step forward but if it’s followed by an poor 1-0 defeat by Accrington then we’ll be where we were last week.
so.... on 14:00 - Sep 29 with 1702 viewspositivity

so.... on 13:23 - Sep 29 by Herbivore

Can only see about three people saying yes he should go now. A couple of others venting some justified frustration. Not sure there's really been a Cook Out mob in the way that some have suggested.

i made it 4 yesses and 3 upvotes, which could be 4 and 3 fat fingers....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024