Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? 07:24 - Nov 10 with 1903 viewsSteve_M

Last night is a crap competition that doesn't mean much either way, although a penalty shoot out win is worth noting at least (is that only four - Luton, Shrewsbury & Peterborough?).

Seven wins in 21 games this season remains disappointing though, add that to four in 16 last year and 11 wins from 37 is, well, meh.

The league is the important thing this season, and our recent form has been better, but this has been a pretty disappointing follow up to Wycombe last week. Three big league matches coming up now, we need to show a bit more consistency or this season will be another one that never reaches its potential.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 8:21]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 07:29 - Nov 10 with 1603 viewschrismakin

As long as we win sat. These 2 Cup games will be forgotten very quickly.

I don't quite see the need to go back through how many wins in the past tho as we all know them. The manager is well aware of it but its all about the now and how In the league we are performing.

In a way I'd rather have 2 poor cup games than 2 walkovers with players perhaps thinking they've cracked it. If these results make them less complacent when it comes to the league games then it's worked out well.

Depends of course how our next 2 league games go.....

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 07:32 - Nov 10 with 1602 viewschicoazul

Forgotten how to lose though. I saw it was pens and didn’t bother listening as I knew we would lose with Chambers to smash home their winner. You’re right about it’s disappointing how they’ve backed up the Wycombe result but I think that’s a bit of psychology at play as the players know what the most important thing is this year. I had hoped our forwards would fill their boots in the last two games but never mind, we’re in the hunt with both competitions.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 07:42 - Nov 10 with 1555 viewsChrisd

Funny how games like last night now matter?! I thought the general consensus was the games against Oldham and Colchester weren’t a top priority? However, because we didn’t win them outright suddenly all the negativity quickly comes flooding back. Has PC done what most of us wanted in those games regarding team selection? Full strength against Oldham and a complete change for last night’s game, yes and probably more than we expected. Let’s also not forget, that we didn’t lose either of those games, we’re still in both those cup competitions. I do understand what you are saying, but if we win on Saturday and then again against Sunderland (I noticed they lost on penalties last night does that game count for them?!) in the league, then this concern of these two cup ties will be quickly forgotten. On another positive, we aren’t losing that often either, 2 defeats in the last 13 games in all competitions - if these games matter of course.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 7:54]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 07:54 - Nov 10 with 1508 viewsSteve_M

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 07:42 - Nov 10 by Chrisd

Funny how games like last night now matter?! I thought the general consensus was the games against Oldham and Colchester weren’t a top priority? However, because we didn’t win them outright suddenly all the negativity quickly comes flooding back. Has PC done what most of us wanted in those games regarding team selection? Full strength against Oldham and a complete change for last night’s game, yes and probably more than we expected. Let’s also not forget, that we didn’t lose either of those games, we’re still in both those cup competitions. I do understand what you are saying, but if we win on Saturday and then again against Sunderland (I noticed they lost on penalties last night does that game count for them?!) in the league, then this concern of these two cup ties will be quickly forgotten. On another positive, we aren’t losing that often either, 2 defeats in the last 13 games in all competitions - if these games matter of course.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 7:54]

"Last night is a crap competition that doesn't mean much either way"

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 07:57 - Nov 10 with 1483 viewsChrisd

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 07:54 - Nov 10 by Steve_M

"Last night is a crap competition that doesn't mean much either way"

I do feel the outcome of these games are used against PC when it suits though.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 7:58]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 07:59 - Nov 10 with 1470 viewswkj

I think there is a complacency issue. We've played much better against teams we're expected to have a tough time with than we have against teams we're expected to win. This could be conjecture of course, but it feels plausible.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:10 - Nov 10 with 1425 viewsclive_baker

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 07:59 - Nov 10 by wkj

I think there is a complacency issue. We've played much better against teams we're expected to have a tough time with than we have against teams we're expected to win. This could be conjecture of course, but it feels plausible.

I would agree with that. Our best performances have come in the ‘bigger’ games, namely Pompey & Wycombe away. Plymouth although we lost we were every bit good enough for a point and had countless opportunities to get one. Lincoln. Half of Cambridge. Notable that they’re all away too, with the exception of Doncaster I wouldn’t say we’ve put in a great home performance.

Perhaps a bit too expectant

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:26 - Nov 10 with 1366 viewsOldboy

I can't keep up.
Are we Cook out again?
Login to get fewer ads

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:29 - Nov 10 with 1324 viewswkj

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:26 - Nov 10 by Oldboy

I can't keep up.
Are we Cook out again?

I don't think so, I think the team need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps a little though.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:30 - Nov 10 with 1313 viewsKeaneish

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:10 - Nov 10 by clive_baker

I would agree with that. Our best performances have come in the ‘bigger’ games, namely Pompey & Wycombe away. Plymouth although we lost we were every bit good enough for a point and had countless opportunities to get one. Lincoln. Half of Cambridge. Notable that they’re all away too, with the exception of Doncaster I wouldn’t say we’ve put in a great home performance.

Perhaps a bit too expectant

Said as much a while back. We’ll put in our best performances against the division’s top sides and we’ll get better and stronger as the season progresses and probably play our best football in the final third of the season.

Looking forward to Saturday and fully expect a strong performance.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:32 - Nov 10 with 1299 viewstractor_lady

Or if we want to look at stats how about 7 wins and 4 draws from last 13?
We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:40 - Nov 10 with 1278 viewsChurchman

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:26 - Nov 10 by Oldboy

I can't keep up.
Are we Cook out again?

It would seem support for him is at best fragile.

Personally, it seems obvious to me from the forum the other night that he’s here for this season at the very least. A comment was made by MA about more than one transfer window and not liking the January one. They appear to have a plan and are sticking to it.

I do think Cook is lucky to still be in a job, but we are improving gradually. Whether we will have enough consistency to make the top six, only time will tell. I do believe that unlike previous seasons we will get stronger, not weaker as the months tick by.
We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:44 - Nov 10 with 1225 viewsOldboy

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:40 - Nov 10 by Churchman

Personally, it seems obvious to me from the forum the other night that he’s here for this season at the very least. A comment was made by MA about more than one transfer window and not liking the January one. They appear to have a plan and are sticking to it.

I do think Cook is lucky to still be in a job, but we are improving gradually. Whether we will have enough consistency to make the top six, only time will tell. I do believe that unlike previous seasons we will get stronger, not weaker as the months tick by.

Phew.The last thing we need is Bluefish telling us how he is always right.
We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:45 - Nov 10 with 1220 viewschicoazul

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:40 - Nov 10 by Churchman

I don’t see what’s lucky about it. Cook is a system manager not a pragmatist, that combined with 20 new players means it’s inevitable we would start slow while the players learned about each other and the system. Not saying we are the finished article either but our run since Bolton is not about luck or even close.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:45 - Nov 10 with 1220 viewsSteve_M

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 07:57 - Nov 10 by Chrisd

I do feel the outcome of these games are used against PC when it suits though.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 7:58]

It's not really that on these matches for me, it's just frustrating that we haven't built on an excellent result last Tuesday.

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:45 - Nov 10 with 1222 viewsFunge

Firstly, it's all about the league this year - and as one who still isn't convinced by Cook, recent league form is alright. Wycombe was a top performance; the best I've seen from any ITFC team since we were relegated. This is a Good Thing.

Secondly, and as you point out, two pretty average performances against, frankly, crap L2 opposition, aren't ideal. We were complacent on Saturday, and last night, whilst not atrocious, didn't really do a great deal to push the case forwards for the 'second string' - although Fraser played quite well.

A good result against Oxford means the most; I think we'll get one, too.

We really need a =nother GK, by the way - Hladky's confidence looks fully shot.
We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:46 - Nov 10 with 1204 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 07:29 - Nov 10 by chrismakin

As long as we win sat. These 2 Cup games will be forgotten very quickly.

I don't quite see the need to go back through how many wins in the past tho as we all know them. The manager is well aware of it but its all about the now and how In the league we are performing.

In a way I'd rather have 2 poor cup games than 2 walkovers with players perhaps thinking they've cracked it. If these results make them less complacent when it comes to the league games then it's worked out well.

Depends of course how our next 2 league games go.....

I forgot we were even playing last night. Only just saw the score.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 09:22 - Nov 10 with 1071 viewsRadlett_blue

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 07:59 - Nov 10 by wkj

Indeed. Cook, in fairness after the moaning about Town not treating the FA Cup seriously, put out a strong side which should have easily been good enough to beat Oldham. Again, Town's 2nd string should have been good enough to beat another 4th division straggler.
Motivating the team to go out and play at 100% every week is a huge part of the manager's job and on the evidence so far, Cook is failing in that respect as he has assembled on of the best & most expensive squads in this league.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 09:24 - Nov 10 with 1069 viewsitfcjoe

We are 9th in League 1, as good as some recent results have been, and the general trend of form, if we even slip back a little bit we are in a pretty poor situation so support for him should be fragile.

3 tough games coming up, where we could just as easily win them all or lose them all - hopefully it is win them all as getting this right here with Cook will be a fun journey

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 09:29 - Nov 10 with 1040 viewsSitfcB

Lucky to still be in a job????

Dear oh dear.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 09:43 - Nov 10 with 1001 viewsKeaneish

It’s really not, “at best fragile”. That appears to have been judged based on a handful of people moaning on a forum who are looking at what is directly in front of them not the bigger picture and where it’s headed.

I’d argue support in the club and in the stands is overwhelmingly positive.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 9:57]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 09:45 - Nov 10 with 995 viewstractorboy1978

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 09:43 - Nov 10 by Keaneish

It’s really not, “at best fragile”. That appears to have been judged based on a handful of people moaning on a forum who are looking at what is directly in front of them not the bigger picture and where it’s headed.

I’d argue support in the club and in the stands is overwhelmingly positive.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2021 9:57]

Anyone who watched that fans forum will tell you support for Cook from those that matter is far from fragile.
We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 09:53 - Nov 10 with 970 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Why is he lucky to be still in the job? Because he hasn't made an instant impact from the beginning of the season?
We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 11:12 - Nov 10 with 884 viewsDMDC

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 08:29 - Nov 10 by wkj

I don't think so, I think the team need to pull themselves up by the bootstraps a little though.

Cook only plays one style. You would think the players would know that system by now. But we still looked like strangers out there last night.
We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 11:21 - Nov 10 with 856 viewsitfcjoe

We're still not very keen on winning football matches are we? on 09:45 - Nov 10 by tractorboy1978

Anyone who watched that fans forum will tell you support for Cook from those that matter is far from fragile.

Anyone who watched Webber's interview last week wouldn't have expected Farke to get the tick-tack 5 days later though!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024