Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Poor Old Connor Wickham 12:41 - Jan 13 with 4458 viewsKentish_Tractor

Just seen the news he has been released by preston after making just one appearance in 3 months. Injuries again.

https://www.deepdaledigest.com/news/preston-north-end-connor-wickham/

Feel so sorry for him - he could have had a fantastic career.

Poll: How often are you refreshing TWTD today?

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 12:46 - Jan 13 with 3979 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I think he would have, if he’d stayed here another 18 months.
But as so often happened with Evans, the second clubs started sniffing, it was a when, not an if.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 12:48 - Jan 13 with 3942 viewsblueboyd

When I saw him photographed having purchased a bottle of champagne for £17,500 I lost so much respect for him, lived the high life and didn't take good enough care of himself.
Poor Old Connor Wickham on 12:49 - Jan 13 with 3913 viewsfooters

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 12:46 - Jan 13 by Cheltenham_Blue

But as so often happened with Evans, the second clubs started sniffing, it was a when, not an if.

Wasn't it Keane who insisted we didn't need two strikers of that ilk? Or am I misremembering?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 12:50 - Jan 13 with 3900 viewsBlueBadger

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 12:49 - Jan 13 by footers

Wasn't it Keane who insisted we didn't need two strikers of that ilk? Or am I misremembering?

Apparently playing him and Jordan Rhodes together would have 'held back' Wickham.

Never mind that they were two players who probably had complimentary skill-sets...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 12:59 - Jan 13 with 3768 viewsfooters

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 12:50 - Jan 13 by BlueBadger

Apparently playing him and Jordan Rhodes together would have 'held back' Wickham.

Never mind that they were two players who probably had complimentary skill-sets...

Ah, that was it. Cheers, Badge.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:04 - Jan 13 with 3719 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Surely he'll reitr now. Body has let him down

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:10 - Jan 13 with 3656 viewswaveneyblue

We all know that if it was still the Evans era, he would be coming here next and spending the entire time injured - with the occasional tease of being close to being "out on the grass"

Shame, looked the real deal early on
Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:10 - Jan 13 with 3654 viewshomer_123

Always thought it would be interesting to be able to have a conversation with players like Wickham.

Would he have done anything differently etc?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:25 - Jan 13 with 3440 viewschicoazul

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 12:48 - Jan 13 by blueboyd

When I saw him photographed having purchased a bottle of champagne for £17,500 I lost so much respect for him, lived the high life and didn't take good enough care of himself.

Remember that time Connor Wickham bought an expensive bottle of champagne and it gave him crippling knee injuries?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:29 - Jan 13 with 3383 viewsFPL_Tractor

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:04 - Jan 13 by BlueandTruesince82

Surely he'll reitr now. Body has let him down

Genuine question, has his body let him down or has he let his body down? I've seen reports of him on the last (which might be totally unfair) but a lot of injury prone players do seem to fit that category (Andy Carroll, Kieron Dyer). With how fast and physical football is in the modern age I suspect players need to be ultra professional about these things - particularly during the season.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:35 - Jan 13 with 3304 viewsjayessess

How would staying at Ipswich have kept him off the treatment table? As our star striker we'd have flogged him to death week after week and he'd have had the same injury troubles he had anyway.

I don't think you can really level "selling players cheaply and quickly" as a criticism of Evans. If anything the opposite, there were players who we should've sold at the peak of their value and didn't.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:42 - Jan 13 with 3213 viewschrismakin

I'm surprised clubs keep signing him. Surely he's better giving up and doing his badges or something to do with with game.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:44 - Jan 13 with 3201 viewsFightingEssex

Most of them should have stayed, I would go back as far as Dozzell I, Kiwimya, Vaughan, Tarrico, Dyer, Petra, Wright, Scowcroft and so on, if they didn’t fail utterly they ended up injured, unhappy or warming the benches, saying goodbye to their international chances as well.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:49 - Jan 13 with 3134 viewsFixed_It

What might have been...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:49 - Jan 13 with 3116 viewsJ2BLUE

We can blame Evans for a lot of things but selling Wickham for £8m is not one of them.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:56 - Jan 13 with 3044 viewsGarv

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:49 - Jan 13 by Fixed_It

What might have been...

No one in my time supporting Town has come up from the academy and been as exciting as Wickham, probably based on his size and physicality mainly. I remember his debut against Donny when Magilton sent him on and he shoulder barged a defender and everyone in the ground realised we could have something.

Scored 9 goals in half a season under a Jewell. The mistake was sending him off to the PL immediately after that. Maybe injuries would still have been his downfall but in terms of development he/we really made bad decisions.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:56 - Jan 13 with 3039 viewsjayessess

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:44 - Jan 13 by FightingEssex

Most of them should have stayed, I would go back as far as Dozzell I, Kiwimya, Vaughan, Tarrico, Dyer, Petra, Wright, Scowcroft and so on, if they didn’t fail utterly they ended up injured, unhappy or warming the benches, saying goodbye to their international chances as well.

Because none of those things ever happen to Ipswich players?
Don't think Taricco (130 games in the PL), Dyer (33 England caps, 190 PL games), Petta (2 SPL titles) or Scowcroft (entire career in the top 2 divisions) regret much, tbh.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 14:01 - Jan 13 with 2978 viewsDyland

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:29 - Jan 13 by FPL_Tractor

Genuine question, has his body let him down or has he let his body down? I've seen reports of him on the last (which might be totally unfair) but a lot of injury prone players do seem to fit that category (Andy Carroll, Kieron Dyer). With how fast and physical football is in the modern age I suspect players need to be ultra professional about these things - particularly during the season.

Think that's a bit unfair on KD. Wasn't shin splints his recurring problem? Caused by running too fast basically!

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 14:04 - Jan 13 with 2947 viewshomer_123

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 14:01 - Jan 13 by Dyland

Think that's a bit unfair on KD. Wasn't shin splints his recurring problem? Caused by running too fast basically!

Don't forget Kieran took his fair share of shocking tackles as well:

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 14:07 - Jan 13 with 2916 views524hudson

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 13:25 - Jan 13 by chicoazul

Remember that time Connor Wickham bought an expensive bottle of champagne and it gave him crippling knee injuries?

Im guessing it was a big bottle

"More knowledge is passed by the reading of books than at times the spoken word" Some pissed chap at my local.

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 14:08 - Jan 13 with 2901 viewsArnieM

Some professional players simply don’t have the body to cope with the rigours of the professional game . I’m sure he’s financially secure now though . Maybe he’ll go into coaching or similar .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 14:17 - Jan 13 with 2851 viewsrickw

I'd heard the same - he enjoyed the footballer's lifestyle more than actually playing football.
Jack Wilshere is another - someone I know told me the exact bar in Hitchin he could be found in with his mates nearly every night...

If Wickham stayed here longer maybe it would have been different for him, I assume he still lived with his parents before going to Sunderland, so being around them longer they perhaps could have kept him more professional - maybe!

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 14:26 - Jan 13 with 2754 viewsDyland

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 14:04 - Jan 13 by homer_123

Don't forget Kieran took his fair share of shocking tackles as well:

Indeed. And I have no pro insight but doesn't one recurring problem leave you vulnerable to others.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 16:00 - Jan 13 with 2486 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I think maybe a bit of both in this instance. No nothing about how professional he is but it's fair to say he utterly stole living at Palace, can't blame him. I'd have done the same.

I do remember reading an anecdote about him trying to get some lad on the train to buy him a can of coke coz he had no money, the inference being he was just trying to see if he could get the lad to do it.

All heresy of course

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 16:05 - Jan 13 with 2466 viewsMattinLondon

Poor Old Connor Wickham on 14:17 - Jan 13 by rickw

I'd heard the same - he enjoyed the footballer's lifestyle more than actually playing football.
Jack Wilshere is another - someone I know told me the exact bar in Hitchin he could be found in with his mates nearly every night...

If Wickham stayed here longer maybe it would have been different for him, I assume he still lived with his parents before going to Sunderland, so being around them longer they perhaps could have kept him more professional - maybe!

‘The secret footballer’ referred to Wickham as a car crash covered in tattoos. They didn’t seem impressed by his efforts at all.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024