Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Words that have died out/are dying out... 09:50 - Feb 16 with 25519 viewsSitfcB

Inspired by Lucan using the word 'pictures' for the cinema, what other words have died out, or are on their way out?

I do enjoy the 'old' words.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 12:48 - Feb 16 with 6068 viewsimsureazzure

Rascal, great word that my mum still uses a great deal.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 12:59 - Feb 16 with 6061 viewsflimflam

On the Huh was one of my grandads sayings amongst many others and I still find my self using it and receiving strange looks!

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 13:09 - Feb 16 with 6038 viewsstickymockwell

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 12:59 - Feb 16 by flimflam

On the Huh was one of my grandads sayings amongst many others and I still find my self using it and receiving strange looks!

Lummox.

We always used to call a mate a feckin lummox if dropped something or tripped up etc.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 13:11 - Feb 16 with 6033 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 10:18 - Feb 16 by SWGF

"afters" for dessert although that may be a class/regional thing.

I still use "pictures". The kids look at me like I'm mad...more so than usual.

I still say afters sometimes

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 14:17 - Feb 16 with 5987 viewsBlueBadger

The word 'fact' in the old-fashioned context whereby it meant 'something which is 'a thing which is known to be proved or true' rather than 'this is my dim-witted opinion, which I am unprepared to actually defend meaningfully'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 14:22 - Feb 16 with 5983 viewsSpruceMoose

Get yourself this book then Sitters. It's really quite something. It illustrates and features poems about all of the words which have been removed from the Oxford Junior Dictionary as they are considered no longer relevant to children in this day and age. I've got a copy, and it is surprising which words have been given the chop. Conker! For the love of God, Conker!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/oct/02/the-lost-words-robert-macfarlane-j
[Post edited 16 Feb 2018 14:23]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 15:47 - Feb 16 with 5937 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 14:22 - Feb 16 by SpruceMoose

Get yourself this book then Sitters. It's really quite something. It illustrates and features poems about all of the words which have been removed from the Oxford Junior Dictionary as they are considered no longer relevant to children in this day and age. I've got a copy, and it is surprising which words have been given the chop. Conker! For the love of God, Conker!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/oct/02/the-lost-words-robert-macfarlane-j
[Post edited 16 Feb 2018 14:23]

I just asked my boy. He knows what a conker is but they're not allowed them at school....
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 15:51 - Feb 16 with 5930 viewsTrequartista

The answer is any word that is different in American English which young people consider as our new language

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Login to get fewer ads

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 16:02 - Feb 16 with 5913 viewsNewcyBlue

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 11:41 - Feb 16 by north_stand77

UPictures for me too although my mum used to call them 'The Flicks'. I can never bring myself to use the word 'Cinema'.

Also, somebody talking rubbish as 'Talking Tripe'

Was your Mum brought up in the Forces? It’s only really pad brats that i have heard call the cinema the flicks.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 16:03 - Feb 16 with 5912 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

One that I wish would die out considerably quicker is the use of the words 'Suite' Particularly in reference to a sofa (three piece suite) and..

'Sweet' in reference to Desert (or afters). An irrational dislike to a word shows your going mad I would presume, but can't stand it.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 16:07 - Feb 16 with 5902 viewsLord_Lucan

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 12:42 - Feb 16 by Deano69

My parents still call the the bus 'the tram'

Are they a bit simple?

They are different things.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 16:07 - Feb 16 with 5902 viewsjaykay

i heard intersection used by a travel reporter its junction.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 16:10 - Feb 16 with 5882 viewsGeoffSentence

Clingon and clagger.

I guess with everyone waxing their cracks these days, they are just not a problem anymore.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 16:10 - Feb 16 with 5880 viewsjontysnut

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 16:07 - Feb 16 by Lord_Lucan

Are they a bit simple?

They are different things.

at least my nan was correct when she referred to the 'trolleybus'
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 17:55 - Feb 16 with 5817 viewstiptreeblue

Please, Thank you and sorry seem to be on the decline i`m afraid
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 19:14 - Feb 16 with 5780 viewsSpruceMoose

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 17:55 - Feb 16 by tiptreeblue

Please, Thank you and sorry seem to be on the decline i`m afraid

Really? Not with the people I know. You must just knock about with some wrong 'uns.

Ah. Essex. That explains it!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 19:21 - Feb 16 with 5777 viewsVic

‘Squit’

And with regards to ‘the picture’, cinema, flicks, movies - I have no idea what the current correct expression these days!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 19:23 - Feb 16 with 5775 viewsVic

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 13:11 - Feb 16 by The_Romford_Blue

I still say afters sometimes

‘Afters’ Is the proper word though isn’t it!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 19:59 - Feb 16 with 5750 viewsStNeotsBlue

The postman turned up at work the other day and entered the room with a cheery "Whatcha" which I haven't heard since the 80's. I'm going to re-introduce it to my vocabulary.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 20:28 - Feb 16 with 5734 viewsRocky

fustylugs, fopdoddle
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 20:33 - Feb 16 with 5724 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 12:34 - Feb 16 by Bluebell

It won't be long before cheques book go too!
[Post edited 16 Feb 2018 12:41]

Cash

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 20:41 - Feb 16 with 5715 viewsBarneycurley

close meaning humid my mum loved to use it

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 20:55 - Feb 16 with 5697 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Courting,
Frumpy.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 21:07 - Feb 16 with 5685 viewsdickie

Words that have died out/are dying out... on 11:19 - Feb 16 by TIB

More a derogatory phrase but..."Gaylord".

And quite rightly it should be gone...but back in the day that was rife.

"Oi Josh, you fancy coming to build a den?"

"Sorry mate, I'm just playing FIFA 94 on my Sega Mega Drive"

"Ah don't be a Gaylord".

Sorry to be a pedant but Fifa '94 doesn't exist on the Sega Megadrive. Fifa International Soccer was released in 1993 then was followed in 1994 by Fifa '95 (featuring Ipswich on the back cover if I recall).

Gaylord.
Words that have died out/are dying out... on 22:01 - Feb 16 with 5655 viewsMelford

Gordon Bennett as an exclamation. Never hear that anymore.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024