Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Looking to buy a watch 08:23 - Mar 21 with 78110 viewsJakeITFC

Any recommendations of brands to go for or avoid?

Looking to spend <£1k so am I better to look second hand for a better brand on Watchfinder or buy a top end model from a lesser brand? Any up and comers you’d recommend?

In terms of model I’m thinking a sports type watch - Rolex Seamaster type thing.
Looking to buy a watch on 08:25 - Mar 21 with 18678 viewsReuser_is_God

TW Steel are good but not sure they have a similar model to what you’re looking for.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Looking to buy a watch on 08:33 - Mar 21 with 18661 viewsdavblue

I picked up my Tag from Watch Gallery last year, i have found them very good and their customer service has also been pretty impressive. I think they have changed their name recently so that would be worth a look.

They go very high end down to your £300 -£400 pound watches.

Longines do some nice watches as do Raymond Weil.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 8:34]
Looking to buy a watch on 08:33 - Mar 21 with 18651 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rolex tend to hold their value so you’ll struggle to find one in decent condition for that price

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Looking to buy a watch on 08:38 - Mar 21 with 18627 viewsartsbossbeard

Sports watch would indicate waterproof BUT maybe not a steel strap, maybe rubber?

Tag or Omega, if so BUT you are up the top end of the £1k budget.

I've got one of these, which is perfect:

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Tag%20Heuer/Professional/watches

Or when I got the battery replaced, the chap in the watch shop in town told me that the same Tag "engine" sits in the higher end Ellesse range of watches and they're bloody good value.

https://www.chronobox.com/en/gbp/product/2489180/ELLESSE-Performance-P-1200-CH-C

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Looking to buy a watch on 08:41 - Mar 21 with 18617 viewshomer_123

Do like an Omega.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Looking to buy a watch on 08:48 - Mar 21 with 18609 viewspeterleeblue

For that money you will get top end SEIKO. I bought a £200.00 basic sports model 20 years ago and still works perfectly!
Looking to buy a watch on 08:52 - Mar 21 with 18605 viewsuefacup81

Genuine question:

I've never understood the need to spend stupid amounts of money (I'm talking more than, say, £150) on a watch.

What do you get for a £5,000 Rolex that you don't get with a £150 Citizen EcoDrive - other than the name?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Looking to buy a watch on 08:53 - Mar 21 with 18582 viewsLord_Lucan

Looking to buy a watch on 08:52 - Mar 21 by uefacup81

Genuine question:

I've never understood the need to spend stupid amounts of money (I'm talking more than, say, £150) on a watch.

What do you get for a £5,000 Rolex that you don't get with a £150 Citizen EcoDrive - other than the name?

Birds.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Looking to buy a watch on 08:54 - Mar 21 with 18586 viewsfactual_blue

Genuine question:

You also get a 'LOOK AT ME, I'VE GOT AN EXPENSIVE WATCH' sign to hang round your neck.

Why do people feel the need to 'ask for advice' about such purchases?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Looking to buy a watch on 08:58 - Mar 21 with 18573 viewshomer_123

Genuine question:

Fair question.

For me, they are an investment, if you buy right (and spend a bit), they don't loose value and they can actually make you some as well.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Looking to buy a watch on 08:59 - Mar 21 with 18562 viewsJakeITFC

Looking to buy a watch on 08:54 - Mar 21 by factual_blue

You also get a 'LOOK AT ME, I'VE GOT AN EXPENSIVE WATCH' sign to hang round your neck.

Why do people feel the need to 'ask for advice' about such purchases?

Because I don’t want to buy a bad watch for a lot of money.
Looking to buy a watch on 09:02 - Mar 21 with 18553 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's not easy to find them under that price , but here's one and you would have 1p change.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/323125499384?chn=ps&var=512228465969&dispItem=1&adgroup

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Looking to buy a watch on 09:10 - Mar 21 with 18526 viewsJakeITFC

Looking to buy a watch on 08:38 - Mar 21 by artsbossbeard

Sports watch would indicate waterproof BUT maybe not a steel strap, maybe rubber?

Tag or Omega, if so BUT you are up the top end of the £1k budget.

I've got one of these, which is perfect:

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Tag%20Heuer/Professional/watches

Or when I got the battery replaced, the chap in the watch shop in town told me that the same Tag "engine" sits in the higher end Ellesse range of watches and they're bloody good value.

https://www.chronobox.com/en/gbp/product/2489180/ELLESSE-Performance-P-1200-CH-C

Thanks.

I really like those Tags but just worry that it’s a bit too small.
Looking to buy a watch on 09:28 - Mar 21 with 18489 viewsGuthrum

Looking to buy a watch on 08:58 - Mar 21 by homer_123

Fair question.

For me, they are an investment, if you buy right (and spend a bit), they don't loose value and they can actually make you some as well.

And you get one of those nifty display cases with a rotating bit to keep the self-winding mechanism going.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Looking to buy a watch on 09:28 - Mar 21 with 18488 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Genuine question:

The Rolex doesn’t pull the hairs out of your arm or detiriorate.

Also, I just sold a ten year old one through watch finder for £150 less than I paid for it, so they’re kinda cheap too
Looking to buy a watch on 10:04 - Mar 21 with 18430 viewsHeathlander

I love my tag Heuer formula 1 watch. Reasonable price for a fancy time piece. 13 years old and still going strong.
Looking to buy a watch on 10:13 - Mar 21 with 18389 viewsJ2BLUE

Genuine question:

Agree. If someone offered me a free Rolex on the condition that I wear it for the next 5 years i'd turn them down. Hate wearing a watch.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Looking to buy a watch on 10:17 - Mar 21 with 18366 viewshampstead_blue

Back to the OP.

Gardiner Holgate is a good place for auction watches.

If you go for something second hand/vintage you'll need to factor in that every 5 years it will need a service. I've Omega Chronostops, awesome! but every service is £250. Still, they are accurate, tidy, and very cool.

Also look at Omega Electronic, not quartz. Electronic. For your budget you can get a corker.

On a personal note, for your budget I'd do a decent amount of research about who makes what. A lot of brands have generic movements and cost <£50 each to make.

Good luck and have some fun!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Looking to buy a watch on 10:24 - Mar 21 with 18351 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Looking to buy a watch on 08:59 - Mar 21 by JakeITFC

I got a tag f1 watch for my 40th and is worth more now.

Some Watches do hold there values
Looking to buy a watch on 10:28 - Mar 21 with 18344 viewsLord_Lucan

Why don't you spend £1k on a jolly to Hong Kong and buy a very good fake in Kowloon, you can even choose from a catalogue. I've got a fantastic Breitling and it never misses a beep, cost me £50

Edit; Actually you might have to factor a bit more than £1k but you are a man of means.

Did you find the mince section yesterday?
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 10:42]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Looking to buy a watch on 10:39 - Mar 21 with 18314 viewsfergalsharkey

Looking to buy a watch on 08:59 - Mar 21 by JakeITFC

What is a 'bad' watch?

I would avoid automatic tags as i have had a couple and both rubbish.

Battery tags ok though.

I have a decent longines which are not silly money.

blancpain if you want something proper that only real watch people will appreciate but your are talking 8k plus.
omega and breitling are mainly for mid managment christmas gift people.

Poll: Cook out?

Looking to buy a watch on 10:43 - Mar 21 with 18294 viewsBrixtonBlue

Looking to buy a watch on 10:13 - Mar 21 by J2BLUE

Agree. If someone offered me a free Rolex on the condition that I wear it for the next 5 years i'd turn them down. Hate wearing a watch.

I'm with you. Rings as well.

On a separate note I agree with the poster who asked why you'd spend a small fortune on a watch, particularly when everyone has the time on their phone. I've not worn a watch in probably 25 years.

It's pretty much a piece of jewellery these days isn't it? Can't see any other point to it.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Looking to buy a watch on 11:05 - Mar 21 with 18243 viewsNo9

This site should give you some ideas

http://www.qualitytime-watches.co.uk/default.aspx?m=1&mi=41&title=Home&gclid=Cjw
Looking to buy a watch on 11:16 - Mar 21 with 18215 viewsimsureazzure

Looking to buy a watch on 10:43 - Mar 21 by BrixtonBlue

I'm with you. Rings as well.

On a separate note I agree with the poster who asked why you'd spend a small fortune on a watch, particularly when everyone has the time on their phone. I've not worn a watch in probably 25 years.

It's pretty much a piece of jewellery these days isn't it? Can't see any other point to it.

You can tell a mans style and class by two items, shoes and watch.

I take it you wear shoes?
Looking to buy a watch on 11:16 - Mar 21 with 18215 viewsTIB

AMJ (Andrew Michael’s Jewellers). Based in Newark but renowned for their selection of watches, high and low end, new and used. I got my wife’s wedding rings from there and walk passed it most weekends and admire the hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of watches in there. I want to say they are the UK or Europe’s biggest seller of Breitling’s also.

For that price you’ll be able to get a Tag, maybe a Breitling Skyracer new. Definitely have a look at their site or call them as they are a great bunch and know their stuff.

If you wanted some more reassurance, I know Frank Cl4ck Nouble buys through them
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 11:20]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024