Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Opponents that were class at Portman Road 15:28 - Jun 12 with 9600 viewsDanFord

So the Rotherham players didn't think Campbell-Ryce played that well. I recall at the time it happened, he didn't track back, got loads of grief from his team mates but looked absolutely superb every time he got on the ball. But which players genuinely would have deserved a standing ovation at Portman Road over the years? I remember Waddle being unplayable when Sheffield Wednesday beat us (2-0 I think on the opening day of the season about 1990?). Glenn Hoddle was unreal when Swindon beat us 4-1 in 1991. Aiden Davidson had a worldy for Millwall when we drew 0-0 around 1996 (might have been the day we missed the playoffs and they went down). Ashley Young was relentless when Watford won down here when he was about 19 and playing on the RW and must have weighed about 8 stone. Seedorf was fantastic for Inter Milan. Ian Wright was different class when he scored a hat trick when we lost 5-1.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:30 - Jun 12 with 5832 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Adam Lallana tore us a new one that season Southampton went straight up.
Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:31 - Jun 12 with 5827 viewsDanFord

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:30 - Jun 12 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Adam Lallana tore us a new one that season Southampton went straight up.

Good shout. The way he and Lambert combined in that 5-2 was immense.

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:34 - Jun 12 with 5807 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Kevin Nolan ;-(

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:35 - Jun 12 with 5813 viewsBlueBadger

Liverpool, 2002 *winces at the memory*
[Post edited 12 Jun 2018 15:37]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:36 - Jun 12 with 5802 viewsITFC_Forever

Ryan Woods has run the game on several occasions when we have played Brentford here in recent years, although he didn't play at PR last season as he was on compassionate leave as his partner had just miscarried.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:37 - Jun 12 with 5790 viewsBilly_Blue_boy

Mark Bright and Ian Wright were brilliant when they were paired at Crystal Palarse. Cant remember our defence from the game but they got torn a new one that day!
Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:38 - Jun 12 with 5786 viewsSamWhiteUK

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:31 - Jun 12 by DanFord

"Makes Messi look sh*te" I believe was the chant, and it wasn't entirely untrue. He was class
Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:44 - Jun 12 with 5755 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:38 - Jun 12 by SamWhiteUK

"Makes Messi look sh*te" I believe was the chant, and it wasn't entirely untrue. He was class

Even after the Premiership years I still think the performance Lallana (and Southampton) put on that evening was one of the best I've seen from an opposition at Portman Road.

If I remember rightly Jack Cork and Sneiderlin were in that side as well, so a few that went on to play international football as well as Lallana and Lambert.
Login to get fewer ads

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:49 - Jun 12 with 5724 viewsDyland

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:31 - Jun 12 by DanFord

That was an amazing performance and the scoreline massively flattered us.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:53 - Jun 12 with 5708 viewsDyland

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:44 - Jun 12 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Even after the Premiership years I still think the performance Lallana (and Southampton) put on that evening was one of the best I've seen from an opposition at Portman Road.

If I remember rightly Jack Cork and Sneiderlin were in that side as well, so a few that went on to play international football as well as Lallana and Lambert.

It's the performance that stands out since we were last relegated, for sure. And there have been some decent ones.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 16:06 - Jun 12 with 5633 viewsPendejo

Hoddle's Swindon side were really good to watch, he had a good game for them, but, if memory serves me correctly a significantly younger version of "the Hod" had a cracking game for Spurs @ PR one year,

Wright always seemed to tear us apart, be it for Paliss or Arsenal. He got a standing ovation at John Wark testimonial when he was substituted.

Sure Mark Bright also always had good games against us.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 16:17 - Jun 12 with 5586 viewsNoCanariesAllowed

I must confess that I don't remember the Jamal Campbell-Ryce incident, but hearing about it did remind me of the time we gave Billy Sharp an ovation after he scored against us for Doncaster shortly after the death of his son. Certainly class from our fans.
Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 16:24 - Jun 12 with 5556 viewsGeoffSentence

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:49 - Jun 12 by Dyland

That was an amazing performance and the scoreline massively flattered us.

We had 15 minutes or so, where we looked really good and got right back in it. Then we can out of steam.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 16:29 - Jun 12 with 5542 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 16:17 - Jun 12 by NoCanariesAllowed

I must confess that I don't remember the Jamal Campbell-Ryce incident, but hearing about it did remind me of the time we gave Billy Sharp an ovation after he scored against us for Doncaster shortly after the death of his son. Certainly class from our fans.

If I remember correctly He pulled up his shirt to reveal a t-shirt with a message to his recently deceased son and even the referee had the common sense to not produce a yellow card.

A rare moment of decency and good will from everyone within the ground to recognise a young man still in pain
Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 16:32 - Jun 12 with 5527 viewsSmithy

Sheringham Millwall 1991

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 16:35 - Jun 12 with 5516 viewsDanFord

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 16:17 - Jun 12 by NoCanariesAllowed

That was the only time I have ever wanted a player to score a goal against Town. Unimaginable what he was going through but that day him getting a goal that he was going to quite obviously dedicate to his son was far more important to me than a meaningless match from Town's point of view. Didn't we lose 3-1 around April time when we weren't going up or down? He was always going to score that day and it's probably the most emotional any goal not scored by Town or England has made me.

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 16:40 - Jun 12 with 5496 viewsFtnfwest

i was at that game. There was definitely some sort of issue with the Rotherham manager because he actually substituted Campbell Ryce after about 65 minutes i think. He was playing us single handed that night. Bit of a lost cause for them as i think they were well adrift and all but down at the time.
Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 16:51 - Jun 12 with 5446 viewsSomethingBlue

He wasn't brilliant at all that day, it was a silly back-handed point by some of our fans about our (free-scoring, as it happened) style under Royle.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 16:51 - Jun 12 with 5441 viewsJakeITFC

Sean Scannell and Wilf Zaha gave us a lot of trouble a few times.
He ended up playing for us on 16:55 - Jun 12 with 5417 viewshomer_123

But Richard Chaplow circa 2010 or 2011.

Just bossed the entire midfield at PR - he was stand out, head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch that day.

Fully appreciate that the bar may not have been high from our perspective.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 16:57 - Jun 12 with 5407 viewsSuperfrans

Kazenga Lua Lua has killed us a couple of times when Brighton have played at Portman Road.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

He ended up playing for us on 16:57 - Jun 12 with 5407 viewsTractorJack

He ended up playing for us on 16:55 - Jun 12 by homer_123

But Richard Chaplow circa 2010 or 2011.

Just bossed the entire midfield at PR - he was stand out, head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch that day.

Fully appreciate that the bar may not have been high from our perspective.

I remember that. Preston on the opening day I think.
Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 17:14 - Jun 12 with 5357 viewsParsley

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 15:44 - Jun 12 by King_of_Portman_Rd

Just looked up the teams, some interesting Ipswich connections. Kelvin Davis and Dan Harding were also in that Southampton side, as well as a certain Mr Bialkowski on the bench
Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 17:29 - Jun 12 with 5307 viewsgainsboroughblue

Klinsmann v Spurs 1994.

Kevin Wilson playing for Derby against us in around '84. So good, we signed him.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Opponents that were class at Portman Road on 17:36 - Jun 12 with 5284 viewsSwansea_Blue

Shearer gave us a torrid time when he was with Blackburn. Grabbed a couple in one match I remember, including a swivelling volley/half volley from the corner of the box. Can't remember which year though.

There would have been quite a few during SBR's time, but more often than not it was our players who were class. A few names popped up in the thread the other day about other team's players, including some real legends like Best and Cruyff. Hoddle was someone I singled out - absolute class, even in the twilight of his career with Swindon.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024