Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fantastic to read reports of young people 14:59 - Apr 16 with 90304 viewsbluelagos

refusing to stand by and do nothing as climate change continues to devestate our precious environment

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/16/more-than-100-people-arrested-in

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 17:49 - Apr 18 with 3318 viewsMVBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:59 - Apr 18 by XYZ

Yes, they're talking about the disruption, but then, a good number of them move on to think about the wider issue.

As George Monbiot said, paraphrasing, either we prioritise the long-term sustainability of the planet ahead of relentless economic growth or we're bequeathing catastrophe.

Be the change you seek.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 18:03 - Apr 18 with 3280 viewschicoazul

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 15:43 - Apr 18 by Clapham_Junction

I have wondered whether the government could do something akin to declaring war on climate change and invoke powers needed to get us there. Rationing things like meat, fuel and electricity for a few years would probably be major parts of it. It would require a complete change of behaviour in many areas of life - pretty much ending the use of cars in urban areas, a change in dietary habits, far fewer trips abroad and mass mobilisation of people to work on things like renewable power installation and insulation - but I'm optimistic that we could cope and that in the long run it could actually lead to a much better society in terms of life priorities.

The key is having someone in power brave enough to suggest it, and having opposition parties brave enough to agree that it's needed and not just try and make political capital out of opposing it. Basically there needs to be some kind of societal consensus that we really need to do this, otherwise it's curtains for all of us. I fear this is the step we won't overcome.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 15:44]

According to David Wallace Wells, it's all over. Climate change has already happened. All you can do now is prepare, boyos.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 20:49 - Apr 18 with 3218 viewsStokieBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:25 - Apr 18 by SpruceMoose

I thought you knew about food. Now I realise you are a mere meat and two veg amateur.

Or alternatively I know about food and this know sea urchin is wrong. You as an amateur feel you need to say it's nice to be accepted.

Of course, everyone should probably just eat what they like without fear but nowadays that's impossible. Each to their own is something that's been assigned to the annuals of history.

SB
[Post edited 18 Apr 2019 20:53]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 20:52 - Apr 18 with 3214 viewsSpruceMoose

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 20:49 - Apr 18 by StokieBlue

Or alternatively I know about food and this know sea urchin is wrong. You as an amateur feel you need to say it's nice to be accepted.

Of course, everyone should probably just eat what they like without fear but nowadays that's impossible. Each to their own is something that's been assigned to the annuals of history.

SB

This is an outrage.

I deeply regret making you my poster of the year.

Edit - who am I kidding? You deserved that accolade.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 22:24 - Apr 18 with 3177 viewsWeWereZombies

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 20:49 - Apr 18 by StokieBlue

SB

The 'annuals' of history?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 00:59 - Apr 19 with 3132 viewsXYZ

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 16:08 - Apr 18 by J2BLUE

Try and be a bit more condescending, it really helps.

Can't have any sort of debate with you. You've picked a side and anyone who has any other ideas is wrong. I'll leave you to it.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/04/18/new-york-city-council-passes-bill-to-cut-bui
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:04 - Apr 19 with 3089 viewsfloridaboy

So these 'people' want air travel to cease. Wonder how many of them are flying away on holiday this year!

Although good to see so called celebrities joining their protest. Emma Thompson was involved in the protest yesterday. Good on her!

Especially as she was able to stand shoulder to shoulder with them after flying 5,500 miles for a bit of publicity!!!

I assume that once these people finish their protest they will all walk home to the various parts of the UK where they live!
[Post edited 19 Apr 2019 7:08]
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:56 - Apr 19 with 3067 viewsHerbivore

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:04 - Apr 19 by floridaboy

So these 'people' want air travel to cease. Wonder how many of them are flying away on holiday this year!

Although good to see so called celebrities joining their protest. Emma Thompson was involved in the protest yesterday. Good on her!

Especially as she was able to stand shoulder to shoulder with them after flying 5,500 miles for a bit of publicity!!!

I assume that once these people finish their protest they will all walk home to the various parts of the UK where they live!

I know a few people involved in these protests. None of them have cars, they all use public transport. They've stopped flying. They've either gone vegan or drastically cut their meat consumption. Maybe stop sneering at the people doing the protesting and give the message a listen?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:57 - Apr 19 with 3063 viewsBenters2

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:04 - Apr 19 by floridaboy

Load of crap innit.

Time to bring out the water cannon I reckon.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:00 - Apr 19 with 3063 viewsfooters

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:57 - Apr 19 by Benters2

Load of crap innit.

When was the last time you flew somewhere, benters?

You strike me more as a staycation kind of chap.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 09:38 - Apr 19 with 3030 viewsWeWereZombies

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:57 - Apr 19 by Benters2

Load of crap innit.

Bit late for that one, young man:

'Three unusable water cannon bought by Boris Johnson when he was mayor of London have been sold for scrap, at a net loss of more than £300,000.

Johnson bought the crowd-control vehicles from the German police in 2014, in anticipation of social unrest, without checking whether they could be used on London’s streets. In one of his most humiliating episodes as mayor, the then home secretary, Theresa May, banned them from use anywhere in England and Wales. It left the capital’s taxpayers with three expensive white elephants.'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/nov/19/boris-johnson-unused-water-canno

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:18 - Apr 19 with 3008 viewsBenters2

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 08:00 - Apr 19 by footers

When was the last time you flew somewhere, benters?

You strike me more as a staycation kind of chap.

Ages ago to the south of France,I don’t like going abroad if I can help it,far to many foreigners about for my liking.

I am doing my bit chap,been working in my garden since 7am planting Hollyhocks,Lavateria,all brought on from cuttings and seedlings,also a Cherrytree and Baytree oh and a Olive tree they were salvaged from a garden that a friend didn’t want anymore.

Using compost made by my fair hands and water collected from my water butts.

Happy Easter,have a good bank holiday.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:24 - Apr 19 with 3008 viewsfooters

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:18 - Apr 19 by Benters2

Ages ago to the south of France,I don’t like going abroad if I can help it,far to many foreigners about for my liking.

I am doing my bit chap,been working in my garden since 7am planting Hollyhocks,Lavateria,all brought on from cuttings and seedlings,also a Cherrytree and Baytree oh and a Olive tree they were salvaged from a garden that a friend didn’t want anymore.

Too many of them over here too!

Sounds lovely. I'm not a gardening sort. Everything I touch suddenly becomes very ill. Planning a little herb garden in the coming weeks though. Buying those little herb tubs at the shop is depressing if you end up chucking them.

Actually a bit miffed this morning, buh. There's a BBQ going on tomorrow and I'm persona non grata apparently! Oh well, sod em!
[Post edited 19 Apr 2019 10:25]

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:29 - Apr 19 with 2997 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:18 - Apr 19 by Benters2

Become a 'guerilla gardener' Benters......spread the love.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:31 - Apr 19 with 2996 viewsfooters

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 10:29 - Apr 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

Become a 'guerilla gardener' Benters......spread the love.

Yeah but then you get all those tourists gawping and pointing at you.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 11:49 - Apr 19 with 2970 viewsfloridaboy

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:56 - Apr 19 by Herbivore

I know a few people involved in these protests. None of them have cars, they all use public transport. They've stopped flying. They've either gone vegan or drastically cut their meat consumption. Maybe stop sneering at the people doing the protesting and give the message a listen?

Sorry I am not sneering. Great that a few use public transport but that is a few out of how many thousand.

Still doesn't alter the fact that many of them came from outside of London either by train, coach or car.

Still it gives them something to do while off for the Easter break!
l
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:11 - Apr 19 with 2951 viewsBloomBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 07:56 - Apr 19 by Herbivore

But have they given up their smart phones, tablets etc and stopped using the internet because all those electrical devices which drive the internet use a huge amount of energy?
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:14 - Apr 19 with 2945 viewsRyorry

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:30 - Apr 18 by NthQldITFC

I somewhat agree, but I think the real aim is to force politicians to act, and (generalising shamelessly) the only thing that they respond to is a threat to their seats.

I can't imagine many people will have their opinions of the reality of the danger changed either way by this, but if more of us are persuaded to come out and demonstrate our concern, there's more chance of SOME progress in policy, at least.

I am personally utterly convinced by the science, but despite reducing my impact on the planet some extent, I have done pretty much bu99er all in terms of positive action. To my shame. Thus, I thank, support and salute these protesters.

What really galls me is how we tend to ignore the big picture and bicker about relative trivialities such as getting to work late, or "they look like they're enjoying themselves too much". Not sure if this is cowardice, selfishness or downright stupidity.

"What really galls me is how we tend to ignore the big picture and bicker about relative trivialities such as getting to work late"

Tell that to the man who's been undergoing daily radiotherapy at UCLH for cancer on his spine - journey usually 10 mins from Vauxhall according to radio report this morning, but yesterday he had to spend 90 mins getting there in a car in agony due to the holdup.

Anyway, another way to have a say - boycott businesses who aren't doing their bit - eg Amazon, now sending out books in plastic packaging instead of the cardboard wrap-arounds that they used to. Support & give your custom to those who are going the right way, like these crisp manufacturers, who I believe are also aiming to be carbon neutral within the next 2 years -

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/environment/two-farmers-makes-debut-with-crisps-in-c

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:30 - Apr 19 with 2928 viewsjeera

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:11 - Apr 19 by BloomBlue

But have they given up their smart phones, tablets etc and stopped using the internet because all those electrical devices which drive the internet use a huge amount of energy?

These repeated negative comments are ridiculous distractions from people who have no interest in taking some responsibility themselves.

Some people are getting off their backsides and are trying to be heard, but it's easier to take the piss from afar, rather than face the issues they raise.

The suggestion of ceasing all air travel is of course absurd and not gonna happen, but aim big and maybe smaller things will happen.

We can all at least try to avoid single use plastics, aim to purchase lower emission vehicles, be responsible using resources where possible. That kinda thing.

I am always nagging friends of mine and family members about their habits.Some of them seem to think it's some kind of flipping game to see what crap they can get away with chucking away without anyone noticing. I dragged polystyrene out of a mate's blue bin the other day. Too sodding lazy to check whether it goes in there or not. Crisps packets...

"Oh but I bet 'they' all have TVs hur hur" is just plain ignorant.

Corporations need to change the way they think; the way they behave, and if they believe they will lose money, then the ideas will come.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:38 - Apr 19 with 2920 viewsBloomBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:30 - Apr 19 by jeera

These repeated negative comments are ridiculous distractions from people who have no interest in taking some responsibility themselves.

Some people are getting off their backsides and are trying to be heard, but it's easier to take the piss from afar, rather than face the issues they raise.

The suggestion of ceasing all air travel is of course absurd and not gonna happen, but aim big and maybe smaller things will happen.

We can all at least try to avoid single use plastics, aim to purchase lower emission vehicles, be responsible using resources where possible. That kinda thing.

I am always nagging friends of mine and family members about their habits.Some of them seem to think it's some kind of flipping game to see what crap they can get away with chucking away without anyone noticing. I dragged polystyrene out of a mate's blue bin the other day. Too sodding lazy to check whether it goes in there or not. Crisps packets...

"Oh but I bet 'they' all have TVs hur hur" is just plain ignorant.

Corporations need to change the way they think; the way they behave, and if they believe they will lose money, then the ideas will come.

As I said if everyone stopped using the internet that would make a massive difference much more than stopping all air travel would.
But when I was in the west end earlier this week nearly everyone one of those protesting was using a smartphone.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:38 - Apr 19 with 2920 viewsClapham_Junction

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:11 - Apr 19 by BloomBlue

I didn't realise Louise Mensch frequented provincial football messageboards.
Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:44 - Apr 19 with 2908 viewsjeera

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:38 - Apr 19 by BloomBlue

As I said if everyone stopped using the internet that would make a massive difference much more than stopping all air travel would.
But when I was in the west end earlier this week nearly everyone one of those protesting was using a smartphone.

All you've done is repeat the same rubbish.

You change the things you can, not tell others to change the things they can't.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:46 - Apr 19 with 2905 viewsLord_Lucan

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:38 - Apr 19 by Clapham_Junction

I didn't realise Louise Mensch frequented provincial football messageboards.

I don't half fancy Louise Mensch

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:58 - Apr 19 with 2881 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 12:44 - Apr 19 by jeera

All you've done is repeat the same rubbish.

You change the things you can, not tell others to change the things they can't.

Isn’t that exactly what this particular group are doing?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:39 - Apr 19 with 2862 viewsJ2BLUE

Last night's documentary is well worth a watch. Scary stuff but also reassuring that some very clever technology is in the early stages of development. As a species, we will get what we deserve in the end. There are things we can all do right now. None of us can be perfect but we can try our best to turn the tide.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024