Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fantastic to read reports of young people 14:59 - Apr 16 with 90301 viewsbluelagos

refusing to stand by and do nothing as climate change continues to devestate our precious environment

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/16/more-than-100-people-arrested-in

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 20:01 - Apr 25 with 1827 viewsGlasgowBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 19:22 - Apr 25 by BrixtonBlue

I have an example - Ford cars were deliberately made to rust.

I can't find anything on this. Do you have a link?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 20:35 - Apr 25 with 1807 viewsBrixtonBlue

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 20:01 - Apr 25 by GlasgowBlue

I can't find anything on this. Do you have a link?

This was told to my dad many years ago (well before the internet age) so no, I don't have a link. Not exactly proof, I grant you. He talked as if it was a well known thing though. In his experience Ford cars rusted quicker than anything else he had.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 20:42 - Apr 25 with 1790 viewsWeWereZombies

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 20:35 - Apr 25 by BrixtonBlue

This was told to my dad many years ago (well before the internet age) so no, I don't have a link. Not exactly proof, I grant you. He talked as if it was a well known thing though. In his experience Ford cars rusted quicker than anything else he had.

I guess he never bought British Leyland then, the Allegro especially was notorious for poor bodywork. Their chief executive Sir Michael Edwardes documented the 'problems' in his book 'Back From The Brink'.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:15 - Apr 25 with 1761 viewsjeera

There's been many an ancient Ford model to grace the road long after production.

Sometimes people say these things because they've been told themselves huh?

And people tend to generalise anyway of course.

Someone who says all *whatever make* of car are all rubbish nowadays often don't seem to realise badges and site production can be quite different things.

I will stand by certain stereotyping though. Such as Ford diesels can be a nightmare and Peugeot's electronics are generally sh1t.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:23 - Apr 25 with 1755 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 14:39 - Apr 25 by lowhouseblue

which choices are you being denied? carbon free air travel? i blame capitalism.

Access to land and and time to invest in living sustainably spring to mind due to having to be a wage slave to pay the man his rent! I blame capitalism too.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:25 - Apr 25 with 1754 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 13:33 - Apr 25 by lowhouseblue

but how will they respond if a foreign holiday becomes unaffordable for most people - as it was 50 or 60 years ago?

In case you hadn't realised it already is.......typical old Labour!

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:29 - Apr 25 with 1751 viewsJ2BLUE

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:23 - Apr 25 by BanksterDebtSlave

Access to land and and time to invest in living sustainably spring to mind due to having to be a wage slave to pay the man his rent! I blame capitalism too.

Rent you will have to find forever because you refuse to get a mortgage from the banks.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:33 - Apr 25 with 1745 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:29 - Apr 25 by J2BLUE

Rent you will have to find forever because you refuse to get a mortgage from the banks.

Well I am actually trying to think of this beyond just my own life experience but feel free to swap rent for mortgage if you please!

Login to get fewer ads

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:43 - Apr 25 with 1733 viewsJ2BLUE

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:33 - Apr 25 by BanksterDebtSlave

Well I am actually trying to think of this beyond just my own life experience but feel free to swap rent for mortgage if you please!

Just making a point brother. Although I disagree with the use of the term wageslave I do have a lot of sympathy for the view that society is wrong and working long hours for all of our prime life years simply to pay for ever increasing essentials is a terrible waste of the gift of life. The only reason I want to be rich is to buy the freedom of myself and my family.

There is no question that capitalism involves a constant push for ever increasing profit at the expense of the planet and the vast majority of people. Capitalism also brings some benefits but probably not to the Tesco Express staff working 6am-11pm on Easter Sunday but god forbid they miss out on a few sales.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:56 - Apr 25 with 1717 viewsStokieBlue

I thought that was supposed to be Fiat's.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 22:19 - Apr 25 with 1689 viewsjeera

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:56 - Apr 25 by StokieBlue

SB

That makes more sense.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 23:44 - Apr 25 with 1635 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 21:56 - Apr 25 by StokieBlue

SB

Plenty about the car industry here...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence
.....and more....
Ending the Depression Through Planned Obsolescence, by Bernard London, 1932

The origins of phrase planned obsolescence go back at least as far as 1932 with Bernard London's pamphlet Ending the Depression Through Planned Obsolescence.[10]The essence of London's plan would have the government impose a legal obsolescence on consumer articles, to stimulate and perpetuate consumption.

Brooks StevensEdit

However, the phrase was first popularized in 1954 by Brooks Stevens, an American industrial designer. Stevens was due to give a talk at an advertising conference in Minneapolis in 1954. Without giving it much thought, he used the term as the title of his talk. From that point on, "planned obsolescence" became Stevens' catchphrase. By his definition, planned obsolescence was "Instilling in the buyer the desire to own something a little newer, a little better, a little sooner than is necessary."
Vance Packard's The Waste MakersEdit

In 1960, cultural critic Vance Packard published The Waste Makers, promoted as an exposé of "the systematic attempt of business to make us wasteful, debt-ridden, permanently discontented individuals". Packard divided planned obsolescence into two sub categories:

obsolescence of desirability; andobsolescence of function.

"Obsolescence of desirability", a.k.a. "psychological obsolescence", referred to marketers' attempts to wear out a product in the owner's mind. Packard quoted industrial designer George Nelson, who wrote: "Design... is an attempt to make a contribution through change. When no contribution is made or can be made, the only process available for giving the illusion of change is 'styling!'"

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 05:23 - Apr 26 with 1602 viewsBenters2

Fantastic to read reports of young people on 19:22 - Apr 25 by BrixtonBlue

I have an example - Ford cars were deliberately made to rust.

What a load of bolox.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024