Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 18:34 - Sep 8 with 8408 viewspistonbroke

Best team won
Ashes on 18:37 - Sep 8 with 5517 viewsFtnfwest

Best team retained, they haven’t won yet
Ashes on 18:38 - Sep 8 with 5515 viewspistonbroke

Ashes on 18:37 - Sep 8 by Ftnfwest

Well they can’t lose can they , better bowlers won or should I say retained the ashes for them
Ashes on 18:39 - Sep 8 with 5509 viewsFtnfwest

Ashes on 18:38 - Sep 8 by pistonbroke

Well they can’t lose can they , better bowlers won or should I say retained the ashes for them

No question, will be interesting to see how much today took out of their quicks with a 3 day turnaround to the oval
Ashes on 19:08 - Sep 8 with 5463 viewssparks

Ashes on 18:39 - Sep 8 by Ftnfwest

No question, will be interesting to see how much today took out of their quicks with a 3 day turnaround to the oval

Team with the best individual won.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Ashes on 19:33 - Sep 8 with 5421 viewsJakeITFC

Ashes on 19:08 - Sep 8 by sparks

Think that does their bowling unit a disservice - Hazelwood and Cummins especially.
Ashes on 19:36 - Sep 8 with 5415 viewsRomeo4

Best individual batsman and superior bowling attack won. Other than Smith their batters are pretty average. Ours are no better though. We are a very ordinary test side at the moment.
Ashes on 19:37 - Sep 8 with 5412 viewssparks

Ashes on 19:33 - Sep 8 by JakeITFC

Think that does their bowling unit a disservice - Hazelwood and Cummins especially.

Our bowling unit wasnt bad either.

Swap Smith to our number 3- who wins?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Ashes on 19:49 - Sep 8 with 5386 viewsRadlett_blue

Better team retained.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes on 20:50 - Sep 8 with 5320 viewsElephantintheRoom

Best being a relative term. Team with a once in a generation batsman and a balanced bowlng attack who outmanouvred a one day team mascarading as a test team - just

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Ashes on 21:07 - Sep 8 with 5296 viewsGirthyguy

Surely to make it more interesting if its 2-2 have a super over.
Ashes on 21:16 - Sep 8 with 5278 viewsxrayspecs

Great entertainment but two average sides.

Smith outstanding.
England batting a bit hit and miss, Aussies, Smith aside, not much better.

Both teams bowled well. Aussies more consistent and effective.

To whoever said below that it is a one day side masquerading as a test team, there is some truth in that. That they only just beat us is way off the mark. We have been outplayed in too many sessions to claim this was close.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 21:17]
Ashes on 21:22 - Sep 8 with 5263 viewsSitfcB

Team full of cheating b’stards.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Ashes on 21:26 - Sep 8 with 5264 viewsReuser_is_God

I’m sorry but our batting has been woeful, drastic change needed in that department.

Ed Smith who has spent his summer swanning around corporate sections of those fcuking stupid glass sipping champagne carries the can here. Sh1t player & even worse National selector.

Joe Root being relieved of the captaincy is the first step we ought to take in rectifying our batting woes.

Getting skittled for below 100 every now & then can happen but it’s happened to us 3 times this year & the summer hasn’t even finished.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Ashes on 21:27 - Sep 8 with 5256 viewsReuser_is_God

They have, they’ve retained the Ashes therefore they’ve won it.

Us making the series 2-2 means fcuk all, it’s still the Aussies taking the urn home. We’ve lost, regardless of what happens at The Oval.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Ashes on 21:39 - Sep 8 with 5227 viewsFtnfwest

Ashes on 21:27 - Sep 8 by Reuser_is_God

They have, they’ve retained the Ashes therefore they’ve won it.

Us making the series 2-2 means fcuk all, it’s still the Aussies taking the urn home. We’ve lost, regardless of what happens at The Oval.

Well you ask them if they think they’ve won them already then. I know what the answer would be (I also think they’ll win 3-1 anyway tbh)
Ashes on 22:37 - Sep 8 with 5193 viewsRyorry

In 9 words - they had Smith, we had Roy and dropped catches.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Ashes on 22:46 - Sep 8 with 5177 viewsrkc123

It's hard to argue they have been the better side, but I think it has been overlooked slightly that we have been without Anderson and Wood (and Woakes obviously wasn't right either). I think given the form Wood found over the past 9 months or so it is probably a fair equivalent to ask how the Aussies would have done if you removed Cummins and Pattinson from their squad. Not saying we would have won the series, but it would certainly have limited their options and removed the luxury of being able to rotate their bowlers across the 4 tests to ensure they are fresh.

The application shown by our batting over the last 3 innings is encouraging going forward, if they can keep that going over the next few series you would think we could finally start putting up the sort of big scores that we haven't seen in many years, we aren't often going to have to face the quality of attack that the Aussies have brought over here.
Ashes on 22:47 - Sep 8 with 5171 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Best team has won (again) and thereby retained the Ashes.

The only time we competed was when Archer ruled Smith out and Stokes played an amazing innings. Aside from that we have been very poor.

Smith and Cummings have made a big difference. None of our batsmen has been consistently good enough. Archer looked like he might be enough for us but has looked like he is carrying an injury since. We have missed Anderson and need a consistent opening batsman. They also need a consistent opening batsman (Warner has been poor) but have compensated far better thanks to Smith who has been phenomenal and is man of the series regardless of what happens in the final test.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Ashes on 06:37 - Sep 9 with 5030 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Ashes on 19:37 - Sep 8 by sparks

Our bowling unit wasnt bad either.

Swap Smith to our number 3- who wins?

Putting Smith in our side would almost certainly have made the difference, however remove him entirely and I still think Australia would have the better side - even though we actually won the test in which he didn’t play

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Ashes on 07:01 - Sep 9 with 5008 viewsEly_Blue

I’d say it’s more a case of the worst team didn’t win, both teams have had very poor spells in the series, it’s just a shame that none of the England top order can bat!

And don’t get me started on the the 1 player that is the difference between the two teams, should have been banned for life, there is no place in sport for what he did and it is no different to those who cheat by taking drugs

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Ashes on 07:28 - Sep 9 with 4978 viewsBlueRaider

Ashes on 21:16 - Sep 8 by xrayspecs

Great entertainment but two average sides.

Smith outstanding.
England batting a bit hit and miss, Aussies, Smith aside, not much better.

Both teams bowled well. Aussies more consistent and effective.

To whoever said below that it is a one day side masquerading as a test team, there is some truth in that. That they only just beat us is way off the mark. We have been outplayed in too many sessions to claim this was close.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2019 21:17]

Correct, if an 'normal' batsman had been batting 4 for Australia instead of Smith I think it would now be 2-1 or even 3-0 to us.

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Ashes on 08:04 - Sep 9 with 4954 viewsitfcjoe

Steve Smith the major difference, and we've desperately missed Jimmy Anderson, who can control an end and frustrate by stopping the score flowing - without a proper spinner too we've let me too many sessions get away from us.

Too many batsman not been up to it either - Roy, Bairstow and Buttler not done anything, Denly dug in well but never looks like converting anything to a big score.

Reality is we've been hammered in the series, but for a once in a lifetime innings we'd be 3-0 down, been outplayed everywhere bar Lords.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ashes on 08:11 - Sep 9 with 4950 viewsChurchman

Ashes on 21:26 - Sep 8 by Reuser_is_God

I’m sorry but our batting has been woeful, drastic change needed in that department.

Ed Smith who has spent his summer swanning around corporate sections of those fcuking stupid glass sipping champagne carries the can here. Sh1t player & even worse National selector.

Joe Root being relieved of the captaincy is the first step we ought to take in rectifying our batting woes.

Getting skittled for below 100 every now & then can happen but it’s happened to us 3 times this year & the summer hasn’t even finished.

Agree with this. I would add that when I look at the teams, only Stokes would get in the Australian team, maybe Archer in my view. Denly is a good county player, Roy and Buttler are good hit and giggle cricketers, Root and Bairstow not the Test players they were. So basically the tail started at 1. We seem as far behind Australia now as we were in the 90s, sadly.

Root cuts a sad figure for me, in particular. He has never struck me as Captain material and it would appear to have taken so much from his batting in what should be the prime of his career. Sometimes, people are just not cut out for it. Botham is another that leaps to mind.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2019 8:16]
Ashes on 08:11 - Sep 9 with 4949 viewscaught-in-limbo

best individual batsman
better captaincy
better selectors
better bowling attack

it's been a superb ashes series though, shame it's (sort of) over before the Oval.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Ashes on 08:52 - Sep 9 with 4920 viewsPJH

Ashes on 21:39 - Sep 8 by Ftnfwest

Well you ask them if they think they’ve won them already then. I know what the answer would be (I also think they’ll win 3-1 anyway tbh)

They would and should be at least 3-1 ahead now but for Stokes' innings but they may well win at The Oval.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024