Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Junker rules out extension. 14:31 - Oct 17 with 15605 viewshampstead_blue

Looks like it's Boris's deal or No Deal.

That should focus their minds tomorrow.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Junker rules out extension. on 15:33 - Oct 17 with 1709 viewsStokieBlue

Junker rules out extension. on 15:32 - Oct 17 by homer_123

Look how easy it is to leave the EU.....

It's easy if the whole country is behind it. We don't know if that would have been the case for Greece but if there is a majority then there is little the EU can do. Even now it's not the EU stopping us leaving - it's us not being able to agree what we want to do.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Junker rules out extension. on 15:37 - Oct 17 with 1695 viewshomer_123

Junker rules out extension. on 15:33 - Oct 17 by StokieBlue

It's easy if the whole country is behind it. We don't know if that would have been the case for Greece but if there is a majority then there is little the EU can do. Even now it's not the EU stopping us leaving - it's us not being able to agree what we want to do.

SB

Greece would, likely, have been in the same situation though.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Junker rules out extension. on 15:43 - Oct 17 with 1670 viewsMookamoo

Junker rules out extension. on 15:21 - Oct 17 by ZedRodgers

It will be perceived and reported as Junker doing Johnson a favour but it should be obvious that the EU will do what they can to persuade the UK that this deal (that they are content with) should be passed.

I don't buy in to this now being the win/win situation for Johnson that some have suggested though. I agree that this kind of pressure from the EU increases the risk of the worst possible outcome but if the deal is voted down and an extension is rejected, our majority-remain parliament will be faced with accepting no deal or attempting to revoke Article 50.

I can't see the likes of Benn and Cherry admitting defeat at that point, or that they'll consider attempting to revoke Article 50 to be off-limits. It's difficult to say whether revoke will have legs at that point but who knows what could happen when we're staring down the barrel.

Can they look to revoke Article 50 on the basis on offering the country a choice of the Boris deal or Remain in a second referendum, thus taking the choice of an 'extension' out of the hands of the EU?
Junker rules out extension. on 15:46 - Oct 17 with 1659 viewslinhdi

Junker rules out extension. on 15:43 - Oct 17 by Mookamoo

Can they look to revoke Article 50 on the basis on offering the country a choice of the Boris deal or Remain in a second referendum, thus taking the choice of an 'extension' out of the hands of the EU?

That's too sensible ERG would collectively explode if that happened.
Junker rules out extension. on 15:50 - Oct 17 with 1645 viewsMookamoo

Junker rules out extension. on 15:46 - Oct 17 by linhdi

But if thats the only option for Benn and the rest of the remainers, then could they not buddy up and make the ERG irrelevant?

I think what I'm trying to work out is if Article 50 is the responsibility of Government or Parliament.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2019 15:50]
Junker rules out extension. on 16:47 - Oct 17 with 1590 viewsWeWereZombies

Junker rules out extension. on 15:50 - Oct 17 by Mookamoo

But if thats the only option for Benn and the rest of the remainers, then could they not buddy up and make the ERG irrelevant?

I think what I'm trying to work out is if Article 50 is the responsibility of Government or Parliament.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2019 15:50]

That second sentence might be the nub of the argument now, I think it is the Government who are responsible for invoking and revoking Article 50. Theresa May seemed to invoke it almost as her own act, so Parliament could vote to revoke but find Johnson unwilling to do so. In which circumstances that vote of no confidence would finally emerge and a General Election is called.

Which would not stop the European Union booting us out on the 31st October.

Cold comfort that the DUP and, maybe, the ERG have been sidelined on the same day.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Junker rules out extension. on 18:04 - Oct 17 with 1548 viewsOxford_Blue

He’s said that (or other leading EU leaders have) repeatedly before then agreeing to an extension
Junker rules out extension. on 18:26 - Oct 17 with 1530 viewsnodge_blue

He gave a soundbite in a passing moment. It won’t stick. And tusk contradicted it soon after.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Login to get fewer ads

Junker rules out extension. on 19:03 - Oct 17 with 1499 viewsKievthegreat

Junker rules out extension. on 18:26 - Oct 17 by nodge_blue

He gave a soundbite in a passing moment. It won’t stick. And tusk contradicted it soon after.

It especially wont stick as it's not Juncker's decision and he has no say in the matter.
Junker rules out extension. on 19:19 - Oct 17 with 1483 viewsBlueBoots

Junker rules out extension. on 15:43 - Oct 17 by Mookamoo

From the BBC News website...

"The European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruling last year confirmed that the UK could revoke Article 50 itself, without having to ask the other 27 EU countries for permission.

This could be done by writing a letter to the European Council, made up of EU heads of state.

The ECJ said the UK would then remain a member of the EU on the same terms - as it has now - including keeping its budget rebate.

But it did set some conditions.

The ruling said revocation should be "unequivocal and unconditional", suggesting that the UK could not simply revoke Article 50 in order to buy more time and then resubmit it at a later date.

A senior lawyer at the ECJ said that "appropriate legal instruments" could be used if a member state tried to trigger and revoke Article 50 in order to secure a better withdrawal deal. "

My understanding is that we would need to ask the EU for an extension to hold a referendum after October 31st, and that it would only take one member state to veto that request to leave us crashing out with a No-deal Brexit...
[Post edited 17 Oct 2019 19:22]

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Junker rules out extension. on 19:33 - Oct 17 with 1473 viewsjas0999

The problem remains:

Labour won’t back any deal
Labour won’t back no deal.

Okay - fair enough, therefore we need an election ... but

Labour won’t back an election.

Which begs the question, what will Labour back? This could go on for years.
Junker rules out extension. on 19:37 - Oct 17 with 1466 viewsWeWereZombies

Junker rules out extension. on 19:33 - Oct 17 by jas0999

The problem remains:

I think Johnson is about to do a deal with the SNP...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Junker rules out extension. on 19:37 - Oct 17 with 1464 viewsNo9

The EU is a democratic institution = it's not his decision
Junker rules out extension. on 20:07 - Oct 17 with 1449 viewsjas0999

Junker rules out extension. on 19:37 - Oct 17 by WeWereZombies

I think Johnson is about to do a deal with the SNP...

Ha ha
Junker rules out extension. on 20:29 - Oct 17 with 1441 viewsitfcjoe

Junker rules out extension. on 19:33 - Oct 17 by jas0999

The problem remains:

They will back an election post October 31st

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Junker rules out extension. on 21:21 - Oct 17 with 1400 viewsBlueBadger

Junker rules out extension. on 15:46 - Oct 17 by linhdi

I'm sure we all have our fingers crossed.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Junker rules out extension. on 21:22 - Oct 17 with 1401 viewsBlueBadger

Junker rules out extension. on 16:47 - Oct 17 by WeWereZombies

That second sentence might be the nub of the argument now, I think it is the Government who are responsible for invoking and revoking Article 50. Theresa May seemed to invoke it almost as her own act, so Parliament could vote to revoke but find Johnson unwilling to do so. In which circumstances that vote of no confidence would finally emerge and a General Election is called.

Which would not stop the European Union booting us out on the 31st October.

Cold comfort that the DUP and, maybe, the ERG have been sidelined on the same day.

That's the main good thing to come out of time. Two showers of vile old bigots have been effectively sidelined.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Junker rules out extension. on 22:04 - Oct 17 with 1381 viewsElderGrizzly

Junker rules out extension. on 15:21 - Oct 17 by ZedRodgers

It will be perceived and reported as Junker doing Johnson a favour but it should be obvious that the EU will do what they can to persuade the UK that this deal (that they are content with) should be passed.

I don't buy in to this now being the win/win situation for Johnson that some have suggested though. I agree that this kind of pressure from the EU increases the risk of the worst possible outcome but if the deal is voted down and an extension is rejected, our majority-remain parliament will be faced with accepting no deal or attempting to revoke Article 50.

I can't see the likes of Benn and Cherry admitting defeat at that point, or that they'll consider attempting to revoke Article 50 to be off-limits. It's difficult to say whether revoke will have legs at that point but who knows what could happen when we're staring down the barrel.

Well at least Boris got a stonking deal. Oh...

Junker rules out extension. on 01:05 - Oct 18 with 1332 viewstractordownsouth

Junker rules out extension. on 14:35 - Oct 17 by GlasgowBlue

“ as No Deal screws Ireland badly.”

So taking it off the table was a poor strategy.

The damage No Deal does to us will be much greater than the damage it causes to the EU. Using it as a negotiating strategy is like saying “ Give us what you want or we’ll slap you in the face and slap ourselves in the face 5 times”

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Junker rules out extension. on 06:09 - Oct 18 with 1284 viewsBlueRaider

Junker rules out extension. on 14:37 - Oct 17 by ElderGrizzly

Not really as the EU would never let it happen

So of course taking no deal off the table was a bad strategy, if the EU would not let it happen, making them think we would was the best way of getting the best possible deal

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Junker rules out extension. on 06:15 - Oct 18 with 1280 viewsjeera

Junker rules out extension. on 06:09 - Oct 18 by BlueRaider

So of course taking no deal off the table was a bad strategy, if the EU would not let it happen, making them think we would was the best way of getting the best possible deal

This is the problem.

The WA is supposed to be an agreement - not a threat.

We are not at war.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Junker rules out extension. on 06:17 - Oct 18 with 1279 viewsSteve_M

Junker rules out extension. on 14:35 - Oct 17 by GlasgowBlue

“ as No Deal screws Ireland badly.”

So taking it off the table was a poor strategy.

But not as badly as it screws the UK.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Junker rules out extension. on 07:21 - Oct 18 with 1241 viewsNo9

Junker rules out extension. on 06:17 - Oct 18 by Steve_M

But not as badly as it screws the UK.

This is going to be very bad for British Industry & farmers
Junker rules out extension. on 07:23 - Oct 18 with 1236 viewsjjblue84

Junker rules out extension. on 06:15 - Oct 18 by jeera

This is the problem.

The WA is supposed to be an agreement - not a threat.

We are not at war.

We will be if Parliament goes against the people again, everyone knows this is the last chance!
Junker rules out extension. on 07:24 - Oct 18 with 1235 viewsitfcjoe

Junker rules out extension. on 07:23 - Oct 18 by jjblue84

We will be if Parliament goes against the people again, everyone knows this is the last chance!

Why will they sign up to Johnson’s Surrender Deal?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024