Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Genuine and serious question. 22:45 - Feb 8 with 4175 viewshomer_123

Has Evan's ever got a decision right during his time as our owner?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Genuine and serious question. on 22:50 - Feb 8 with 3519 viewsCoco

Ermmm sanctioned the deal to sign Dos Santos?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Genuine and serious question. on 22:50 - Feb 8 with 3521 viewshaynes_toe1

Appointing Mick I guess but some wouldnt even give him that!
Genuine and serious question. on 23:15 - Feb 8 with 3464 viewsgainsboroughblue

Genuine and serious question. on 22:50 - Feb 8 by haynes_toe1

Appointing Mick I guess but some wouldnt even give him that!

Appointing Mick was the right choice.
Unfortunately it was two appointments too late.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Genuine and serious question. on 23:17 - Feb 8 with 3453 viewsCoco

Genuine and serious question. on 23:15 - Feb 8 by gainsboroughblue

Appointing Mick was the right choice.
Unfortunately it was two appointments too late.

Aye

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Genuine and serious question. on 23:35 - Feb 8 with 3417 viewsjeera

His decisions regarding appointments seemed right at the time to most though.

Fans wanted Magilton gone and he was sacked. I didn't like it but there you go. Plenty agreed it was the right thing to do.

He appointed Keane and there was much excitement from several quarters. I couldn't get my head around it like a few others, but there you go.

When Jewell was appointed, he just seemed like a decent enough guy in contrast to Keane that most seemed to accept it even if it was a bit meh.

I was happy with MMc coming next, that felt right. Plenty of others said the same.

As for Hurst, most of us seemed ok with either him or Ross as the next direction at the time. It all sounded right enough.

Most were ok with Lambert next, viewed as someone who had seen it all before.

The decisions all seemed all right to many when they were taken and it could be said were influenced by fan demand to in small way.

So it depends how we weigh that decision making.

Not much of it has turned out right though, no.

His worst decision was one he's never got around to making and that's appointing someone proper to head the club; DoF, Chairman, who cares of the title.

Just get someone in who knows what he's doing.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Genuine and serious question. on 23:50 - Feb 8 with 3388 viewsRyorry

Genuine and serious question. on 23:35 - Feb 8 by jeera

Fans wanted Magilton gone and he was sacked. I didn't like it but there you go. Plenty agreed it was the right thing to do.

He appointed Keane and there was much excitement from several quarters. I couldn't get my head around it like a few others, but there you go.

When Jewell was appointed, he just seemed like a decent enough guy in contrast to Keane that most seemed to accept it even if it was a bit meh.

I was happy with MMc coming next, that felt right. Plenty of others said the same.

As for Hurst, most of us seemed ok with either him or Ross as the next direction at the time. It all sounded right enough.

The decisions all seemed all right to many when they were taken and it could be said were influenced by fan demand to in small way.

His worst decision was one he's never got around to making and that's appointing someone proper to head the club; DoF, Chairman, who cares of the title.

"His worst decision was one he's never got around to making and that's appointing someone proper to head the club; DoF, Chairman, who cares of the title.

Just get someone in who knows what he's doing."

Spot on.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Genuine and serious question. on 00:24 - Feb 9 with 3319 viewspatrickswell

This is an important point. Evans was badly let down to varying degrees by Magilton, Keane and Jewell. The latter two didn’t just fail to achieve what Evans set them up for, they absolutely stank the place out. I’m struggling to think of managers anywhere who made a worse job of being given decent funds for circa 2009/12 and producing the garbage that they did.

Where Evans starts to become culpable is in not being proactive when the club was finally competitive during his tenure under Mick. He was fortunate that McCarthy was stubborn enough to believe that he could get us up there on a bottom third budget and who knows, if key players hadn’t spent long periods injured then maybe he would have. But once Mick lost his mojo , the next appointment became crucial. Hurst seems to have come in and put his finger on issues at the club straight away, but abysmal man-management, inability to project the vision that he had and dreadful transfer business put us back to square one. At which point, PT Barnum stepped into the manager’s job and has continued to work on the basis that there’s a sucker born every minute, which works just perfectly for Marcus Evans.
Genuine and serious question. on 00:33 - Feb 9 with 3292 viewsParamedic

I don't recall anyone wanting Magilton gone. Jim should have been given at least until the end of that season if not longer. He was the last link to the old Ipswich. Evans brought Keane in for publicity only imo. Yes he got Sunderland up, but that was a one season wonder. Squandered the biggest budget any Ipswich manager has ever been handed and so began the downward spiral. My biggest dread which is now looking more likely is that we languish in the lower leagues, selling off the family silver just to get by. Very sad times indeed.

AllalallalSunderland

Login to get fewer ads

Genuine and serious question. on 00:37 - Feb 9 with 3277 viewsjeera

Genuine and serious question. on 00:33 - Feb 9 by Paramedic

I don't recall anyone wanting Magilton gone. Jim should have been given at least until the end of that season if not longer. He was the last link to the old Ipswich. Evans brought Keane in for publicity only imo. Yes he got Sunderland up, but that was a one season wonder. Squandered the biggest budget any Ipswich manager has ever been handed and so began the downward spiral. My biggest dread which is now looking more likely is that we languish in the lower leagues, selling off the family silver just to get by. Very sad times indeed.

With respect mate that would be your memory, unless you were absent at the time.

Bedsheets at games, albeit not in large numbers and more of a vocal few.

But plenty on here; the arguments ran for page after page.

JM wouldn't even allow local press anywhere near him in the end as he blamed them for much of the unrest.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Genuine and serious question. on 00:38 - Feb 9 with 3281 viewspatrickswell

The maxim at the time was that money can go a long way to ensuring success. Magilton had three transfer windows with Evans putting up good sums of money and he kept hitting the glass ceiling of 8th/9th place and we were dreadfully inconsistent in 2008/09.

The fact that he is palpably still the second best ITFC manager to have worked under Marcus Evans - and was an inheritance - is a damning indictment of the most of the ones that Evans actually chose to employ.
Genuine and serious question. on 00:52 - Feb 9 with 3244 viewsBlueBadger

The clamour over Magilton made people singing about Mick touching kids look sane and reasoned.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Genuine and serious question. on 01:10 - Feb 9 with 3231 viewseddiespearitt03

There are not many football clubs who are handing out wage packets for nothing in return.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 13:34]
Genuine and serious question. on 07:20 - Feb 9 with 3065 viewsBluefish

I agree

I haven't necessarily agreed with everything but has usually been in line with what the fans wanted. I didn't agree with sacking Jim or keeping roy for so long but the fans wanted both. I wished we'd sorted the MM situation properly but the fans wanted him out. No one at all can say the Hurst appointment wasn't approved by the supporters. It is hindsight where we have got it wrong, you could argue that keane should have gone far far earlier (and I did) and possibly jewell though. I fear repeating that with Shambert

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Genuine and serious question. on 07:42 - Feb 9 with 3012 viewsDubtractor

Genuine and serious question. on 07:20 - Feb 9 by Bluefish

I agree

I haven't necessarily agreed with everything but has usually been in line with what the fans wanted. I didn't agree with sacking Jim or keeping roy for so long but the fans wanted both. I wished we'd sorted the MM situation properly but the fans wanted him out. No one at all can say the Hurst appointment wasn't approved by the supporters. It is hindsight where we have got it wrong, you could argue that keane should have gone far far earlier (and I did) and possibly jewell though. I fear repeating that with Shambert

Thing is, when you make decisions based on what fans want you're in trouble.

Any amount of due diligence should have told him that Keane would be a disaster, that Hurst and Doig were a pair of bullies, that Jewell had long ceased being a competent manager.

The only appointment that was a good one was Mick. That's it. He has appointed poor managers, and then compounded it by failing to manage those managers properly.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Genuine and serious question. on 08:00 - Feb 9 with 2975 viewsBluefish

Genuine and serious question. on 07:42 - Feb 9 by Dubtractor

Any amount of due diligence should have told him that Keane would be a disaster, that Hurst and Doig were a pair of bullies, that Jewell had long ceased being a competent manager.

The only appointment that was a good one was Mick. That's it. He has appointed poor managers, and then compounded it by failing to manage those managers properly.

I've looked back on some of PR Paul's past clubs and it is quite scary to see comments saying he is a really good guy that has done so much to be nice to the fans, it would have been exactly the due diligence reports that ME wanted. The problem is they also call he clueless and even name him shambert.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Genuine and serious question. on 08:06 - Feb 9 with 2964 viewssparks

I suspect it was a minority of fans who wanted Magilton gone. Just a noisy one.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Genuine and serious question. on 08:07 - Feb 9 with 2968 viewsGuthrum

He made on major mistake. Not so much sacking Magilton, as things had rather come to a dead end there, but in being persuaded to replace him with Roy Keane.

Virtually everything leads on from that decision. We went from being an upper Champ team to a lower one and blew all of Evans' "ITFC budget". Subsequent to that everyone has been trying to climb back up, apart from Jewell's first window, with restricted funds.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Genuine and serious question. on 08:12 - Feb 9 with 2941 viewsMullet

A fair few, because let's be honest it's been a slower decline than at many other clubs and with far less bloodletting. But how important they have proven to be is questionable.

He's been far too reactive to the whim "of the fans" and by that I mean the gobsh1tes and sheep who turned on Jim. He then compounded that with Mick because he rightly feared ST sales would nosedive.

Well he's finally run out of ground on that front, as we look likely to be hitting 10k averages this season.

Had he done what was right for the club, the fans would have followed because we'd have seen more success on the pitch. I notice a lot of people are crying about Mick on twitter today/last night and a bit on here too. What happened to "don't mention Mick" etc?

That's the problem. He listens to and tries to pander to that sort of chat when it reaches him.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Genuine and serious question. on 08:18 - Feb 9 with 2917 viewsWacko

Wow you're so prescient

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Genuine and serious question. on 08:26 - Feb 9 with 2880 viewsElephantintheRoom

Selling Wickham and MIngs were good decisions. As was stealing the training ground - aside from that he's been startlingly inept which makes you wonder just how awfully the touting side of the business is run.... and whether he has retained Mr O'Reilly from Fawlty Towers to renovate his west country gaffe

I think he came in with a thought that his commission-based pressure selling tactics that persuaded the gullible to go to rubbish conferences to listen to hot air should work in football. Alas players cant be bothered to perform by and large - and run down their contracts given half a chance..

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Genuine and serious question. on 08:52 - Feb 9 with 2826 viewsbraveblue

Magilton was booed off the field with chants of you don’t know what you’re doing!!! Selective memories.
Genuine and serious question. on 12:11 - Feb 9 with 2672 viewsNo9

As I posted after he had been owner of ITFC for only a short period of time- "he needs the assistance of a top football man".
Until he gets that his investment will continue to devalue
Genuine and serious question. on 12:20 - Feb 9 with 2660 viewspointofblue

Genuine and serious question. on 07:42 - Feb 9 by Dubtractor

Keane never understood the club and Jewell and Lambert, career wise, had both outlived their welcome well before they joined us. Mick was a decent appointment and I have some sympathy for him with Hurst as his approach on a budget seemed to work. I do wonder how different things may have been had we taken our chances at Rotherham in our first away game of the season - I think that, and the defeat at Exeter, really saw Hurst lose it and never recover.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Genuine and serious question. on 12:30 - Feb 9 with 2628 viewscbower

Poor recruitment (though not necessarily always through underinvestment) in playing squad and lack of direction from the top of the club throughout his time. Massive failure to back MM in 2015 window is his biggest legacy.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 12:35]

bluescouser

Genuine and serious question. on 12:45 - Feb 9 with 2583 viewsOxford_Blue

When the fans wanted Magilton to be given the chance, Evans kept him and gave him money to spend. When the fans wanted Magilton out, Evans sacked him. When the fans wanted a big name manager, who was also to be given money to spend, Keane was brought in then sacked when the fans wanted him out. Then when we needed a safe pair of hands, PJ and MM were brought in, then both left when the fans turned against them.

Then the fans wanted a young manager to be given time, so Hurst was brought in. Then when it went wrong the fans wanted him out and Evans sacked him. Then the fans wanted automatic promotion from league one so Evans brought in the last manager to get successive promotions from league one to the premiership.

At each stage, Evans has made decisions that the majority of the fans didn’t challenge. Then when things don’t work out, we blame Evans.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 12:48]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024