Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Finish the season now 12:22 - Mar 16 with 5467 viewsitfcjoe

Top 3 go up
Bottom 3 go down

Roll on 20/21

Life isn’t fair, pandemics aren’t fair, football isn’t fair - why the need to over complicate it if it goes on for much longer

I think either void or finish the season as is, and finishing it as is seems much fairer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Finish the season now on 13:07 - Mar 16 with 2003 viewsChrisd

Logically it makes sense, but there's too much at stake for clubs. Modern day football is all about the money. I'm going to enjoy watching the authorities decide what is best, as you've rightly said it's going to upset some clubs whatever the outcome. Grab the popcorn, it's going to be a very interesting watch on Thursday! My money is on 'null and void' it only needs 14 EPL clubs to vote for that.....Norwich, Aston Villa, Bournemouth, Watford, West Ham, Brighton just working my way up!
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 13:11]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Finish the season now on 13:08 - Mar 16 with 2002 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

We may as well just pick it back up when we can, if that effectively means that the 20/21 season doesnt happen or gets delayed, then so be it.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Finish the season now on 13:11 - Mar 16 with 1989 viewsgordon

Also, what happens to the clause in Lambert's contract if the season is voided?
Finish the season now on 13:15 - Mar 16 with 1973 viewsitfcjoe

Finish the season now on 13:04 - Mar 16 by monty_radio

So, for example, Bournemouth go down by virtue of one goal, having expected to have 9 games left to redeem themselves. Life isn't fair perhaps, but sport has rules to ensure that opportunity on the pitch is equal, even if form and skill-levels dictate otherwise. Using Bournemouth as my example still, I've always thought that when they do eventually drop, they'll fall, never again to rise to such levels - as in the case of such as Wimbledon, Notts County, Oldham etc. Imagine then, being a Cherries fan, if that fall is brought on by a curtailment that sends them down as things currently stand, by one goal, with the remaining nine chances scotched.

There isn’t an ideal solution for anyone though, Bournemouth miss out but chances are they’d go down anyway.

No solution is fair, even voiding it isn’t fair for those who then get dragged into it next year

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Finish the season now on 13:17 - Mar 16 with 1974 viewsFixed_It

Maybe fairer would be to devise the tables on average points per game, thus eliminating the discrepancy between the number of games teams have played. Although I'm sure the Peterborough chairman would argue that his team have played more difficult opponents than others....

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Finish the season now on 13:21 - Mar 16 with 1958 viewsclive_baker

Finish the season now on 12:46 - Mar 16 by tractorboy1978

Can it finish credibly? I am not sure it can. And you then run into next season being a bit of a farce as well - seen suggestions of playing every team once, either home or away. That's not a credible competition.

Logistically it'll be a bit of a pig, and there are question marks about out of contract players in June, but the legal implications of making this season void feel like something that could go on and on. Surely we're better off compromising next season. If we can finish the current season in September / October. Short break and start a new one in November, we'll have to run that accordingly. No domestic cups for example, and 2 league games per week over a shorter period. Either way it's going to be difficult but that feels like the least worst option IMO. It should mitigate any legal challenges from clubs and at least allow this season to conclude properly. If we were 10 games in it would be different, but so many sides (eg Liverpool) are well on their way to achieving something.

As I said, timings are going to dictate the decision anyway. If we can resume in July then there's really no logic to not concluding this season in a 6 week blast and pushing next season back a little. If we're talking back end of 2020 that football resumes then it's a very different conversation. Almost little point speculating until we have a clearer view. I certainly don't see any value at all in finishing the season now when there are so many unknowns. Nothing to gain from that at all.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 13:22]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Finish the season now on 13:23 - Mar 16 with 1952 viewsmonty_radio

Finish the season now on 13:15 - Mar 16 by itfcjoe

There isn’t an ideal solution for anyone though, Bournemouth miss out but chances are they’d go down anyway.

No solution is fair, even voiding it isn’t fair for those who then get dragged into it next year

Far better to play all the games over a three week period behind closed doors in whatever stadia involve the least movement. The suspension of games is, as government advice currently goes, self-imposed.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Finish the season now on 13:25 - Mar 16 with 1949 viewsgordon

Finish the season now on 13:15 - Mar 16 by itfcjoe

It will have to be completed - it's next season that will be compromised, if necessary, e.g. teams only play each other once and there's only one promotion and relegation place or something.
Login to get fewer ads

Finish the season now on 13:41 - Mar 16 with 1916 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Finish the season now on 13:07 - Mar 16 by Chrisd

Logically it makes sense, but there's too much at stake for clubs. Modern day football is all about the money. I'm going to enjoy watching the authorities decide what is best, as you've rightly said it's going to upset some clubs whatever the outcome. Grab the popcorn, it's going to be a very interesting watch on Thursday! My money is on 'null and void' it only needs 14 EPL clubs to vote for that.....Norwich, Aston Villa, Bournemouth, Watford, West Ham, Brighton just working my way up!
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 13:11]

An interesting point in seeing which PL team is likely to vote for null and void, I imagine:

For - Norwich, Villa, Brighton, West Ham, Spurs, Watford, Arsenal
, Man City, Bournemouth

Against - Liverpool, Leicester, Sheffield United, Chelsea, Man Utd, Crystal Palace, Burnley, Wolves

Indifferent - Everton, Newcastle, Southampton,

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Finish the season now on 13:43 - Mar 16 with 1907 viewstractorboy1978

Finish the season now on 13:21 - Mar 16 by clive_baker

Logistically it'll be a bit of a pig, and there are question marks about out of contract players in June, but the legal implications of making this season void feel like something that could go on and on. Surely we're better off compromising next season. If we can finish the current season in September / October. Short break and start a new one in November, we'll have to run that accordingly. No domestic cups for example, and 2 league games per week over a shorter period. Either way it's going to be difficult but that feels like the least worst option IMO. It should mitigate any legal challenges from clubs and at least allow this season to conclude properly. If we were 10 games in it would be different, but so many sides (eg Liverpool) are well on their way to achieving something.

As I said, timings are going to dictate the decision anyway. If we can resume in July then there's really no logic to not concluding this season in a 6 week blast and pushing next season back a little. If we're talking back end of 2020 that football resumes then it's a very different conversation. Almost little point speculating until we have a clearer view. I certainly don't see any value at all in finishing the season now when there are so many unknowns. Nothing to gain from that at all.
[Post edited 16 Mar 2020 13:22]

Some certainty is going to be needed though before long. A lot of lower league clubs work with one and two year contracts and most lower league clubs operate on very tight budgets. I imagine many of them may take the approach that they operate with skeleton playing staff so whether this season re-commences in late June/early July or whether it's starting a new season in August/September/October is a fairly pertinent issue. We cannot be in a position where we are reviewing the situation every couple of weeks.
Finish the season now on 13:52 - Mar 16 with 1889 viewsTJS

I don't think finishing as it is now is really an option as I don't think trophies have ever been awarded based on partially completed seasons.
The most recent precedent is effectively the 1939/1940 season which was abandoned as soon as WWII started although only a few games had been played.
Finish the season now on 14:02 - Mar 16 with 1876 viewstextbackup

I just hope that whatever ‘the powers that be’ decide that everyone just swallows it and accepts it. If we were top of L1 10 points clear I’d still have that opinion. It’s life.
Can see some utter disgusting actions after all this, clubs and people come out in some seriously bad light.
We, as in the world, are in this together

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Finish the season now on 14:09 - Mar 16 with 1858 viewsJosebadleg

I'd void this season but start next season with a points handicap depending on where you were in the league before it was cancelled.

They say I have a short attenti.........
Poll: What are you looking for in the new manager

Finish the season now on 14:27 - Mar 16 with 1837 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Finish the season now on 13:01 - Mar 16 by BiGDonnie

How about we take the form table from the last 20 games and promote and relegate those in the top/bottom three? Probably fairer.

Because we will go down!!!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Finish the season now on 14:33 - Mar 16 with 1826 viewsBiGDonnie

Finish the season now on 14:27 - Mar 16 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Because we will go down!!!

It'd fall in line perfectly with the 'banta era'!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Finish the season now on 14:47 - Mar 16 with 1821 viewsPhilTWTD

I think just restrict it to one up, one down this season. Seems unfair on those still challenging for safety to be relegated but not on those where it's all but a foregone conclusion.
Finish the season now on 14:49 - Mar 16 with 1815 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Finish the season now on 13:00 - Mar 16 by itfcjoe

The simplest solution is often the best. Null and void achieves nothing for me and doesn’t let things move on.

Every club in the promotion or relegation positions should have begun preparations for next season as it is.

I think there would be a lot more to challenge legally if they stopped it now and said positions stand. Financially they could settle prize money in the PL based on league positions as they are, and therefore within the PL there wouldn't be a huge amount of argument for financial loss.

Leeds and WBA might have a legal challenge but not sure who that would be against since they're merely members of the Football League.

There are so many issues but presumably they will go with the one that most clubs could get comfortable with. All bar a few in the PL would be able to get comfortable with the above I expect.
Finish the season now on 14:53 - Mar 16 with 1807 viewsGarv

Finish the season now on 14:47 - Mar 16 by PhilTWTD

I think just restrict it to one up, one down this season. Seems unfair on those still challenging for safety to be relegated but not on those where it's all but a foregone conclusion.

Surely that massively affects the integrity of the league?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Finish the season now on 15:10 - Mar 16 with 1797 viewsPhilTWTD

Finish the season now on 14:53 - Mar 16 by Garv

Surely that massively affects the integrity of the league?

I may have been being slightly facetious given who is currently bottom of the Premier League.
Finish the season now on 15:17 - Mar 16 with 1773 viewsITFC_Forever

Finish the season now on 13:01 - Mar 16 by BiGDonnie

How about we take the form table from the last 20 games and promote and relegate those in the top/bottom three? Probably fairer.

Christ, that doesn't do us any favours!

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Finish the season now on 15:49 - Mar 16 with 1748 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I think it's absolutely pointless planning for any outcome. It could be May. It could be August.

Until clubs are able to return there seems little point speculating. Whatever happens will be a mess, it won't be ideal and someone will lose out. Choosing the best of the bad options available can only be made when faced with the facts at that time.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Finish the season now on 16:05 - Mar 16 with 1728 viewsDarkHorse

Voiding it is far fairer, given that only Liverpool were assured of anything.
Finish the season now on 16:08 - Mar 16 with 1723 viewsKeaneish

Nah. Cancel the season for the same reasons. There's precedent for that, not completing a season which is incomplete.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Finish the season now on 16:37 - Mar 16 with 1693 viewsportmanking

This is what I suggested a few days ago.

It's the only way to keep our football schedule in a semblance of normality.

Ending the season now and promoting the top 2/3 and relegating the bottom 3 rewards those who have been most consistent up to this point - something no football club owner could argue against, surely?

Voiding it seems utter madness given we're so far down the road of the campaign.
Finish the season now on 16:44 - Mar 16 with 1683 viewsITFC_Forever

Finish the season now on 16:08 - Mar 16 by Keaneish

Nah. Cancel the season for the same reasons. There's precedent for that, not completing a season which is incomplete.

But there's not a precedent, you can't include the 1939-40 season as it was abandoned after only a handful of games.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024