Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t 08:10 - May 4 with 3331 viewshoppy

About acceptance or ignoring it... and seen some of the replies, I thought it worth posting this, in the hope it might make some people think a bit more...

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/ipswich-mum-in-hospital-with-coronavirus-1-6635883

Stay safe everyone.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 09:53 - May 4 with 656 viewsGuthrum

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 08:23 - May 4 by hoppy

Gloves only if they’re put on as you go into the store and then discard them on the way out, otherwise you’re just taking that contact point with you. Are those that are wearing gloves washing their hands with them on as well?

Indeed. Difficulty is getting hold of disposable gloves at the moment (I was fortunate enough to have a box on the go already).

Also minimise the number of times you go in the shops.
[Post edited 4 May 2020 9:53]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 09:55 - May 4 with 653 viewsGuthrum

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 09:03 - May 4 by GlasgowBlue

With you on the limited use and disposing of gloves.

Regarding supermarkets, people are queuing respectfully adhering to the 2m rule but as soon as they get in the shop they are doing the complete opposite. Trying to squeeze last people who are blocking the aisle, picking up stuff and putting it back on the shelf.

All our love to Kelly and wishing her a speedy recovery. Hope you, Yasmin and the boys are ok.
[Post edited 4 May 2020 9:04]

The majority aren't wearing any kind of mask or face-covering, either. Or following the arrows/footprints on the floor.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Life's crap at the moment mate, but you two.... on 09:57 - May 4 with 647 viewsBloots

….both seem to have a strong bond and a positive outlook on life.

She'll get better and so will life.

Stay strong.

Now wash your hands.

x

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 10:17 - May 4 with 618 viewslongtimefan

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 09:26 - May 4 by itfcjoe

I use the hand sanitiser on offer on the way in and the way out now, easiest way

Must admit that's what I do now. When this all started I was wearing gloves, put on on leaving the car and removing before re-entry. However, I realised I was still occasionally touching my face with them on, totally defeating the object. Also, what do you do at the checkout? Open your wallet with them on or take them off prior to doing that? You may then either put infection on your wallet or infect your hands via the trolley or bags you've used.
This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 10:25 - May 4 with 597 viewsKeno

thinking of you

hope she recovers quickly

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 10:31 - May 4 with 591 viewsDebsyAngel

Hope KJ gets well soon and can come home.

I too worry about the shops, I only go myself once a week. i have been happy with Boots and Wilko's, they are only letting a few people in at a time, but it's Sainsburys I am annoyed at. They are letting too many in at once and it creates a bottleneck when people are going in/out as people are all milling about in the same place. A lot in there do not care if they get too close to you, and I had a bloke leaning over me to get a basket - he could not wait 30 seconds for me to get mine and move away. And that woman last week coughing everywhere in the outside queue and nothing being said at ALL by that security bloke. I waited nervously inside as did not want to walk through her germs, and then she comes in, and coughs all over where I was standing... I just hope it was a smokers' cough, but I have been bricking it ever since.

I wipe down all I buy, the bags I use, wash my hands thoroughly or use the gel when out, even wipe post and parcels down. But I still feel I do not do enough and that once someone coughs near you, that's game over.

All the best to your family.
This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 10:36 - May 4 with 587 viewsgordon

Sorry to hear this, will be wishing for a quick recovery. Supermarkets are an odd one. I'm doing a fair amount of walking and cycling, but I come into reasonably close contact with probably 50x more people doing my weekly shop than the rest of the week, and there aren't many sensible safeguards in place.
This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 10:38 - May 4 with 583 viewsDecoy_Octopus

All the best, hope she has a speedy recovery.

With regards to shopping, we are being extra careful as my wife is highly vulnerable. We are having it delivered but still disinfecting all packaging and thouroughly washing our hands after touching it.
Login to get fewer ads

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 10:40 - May 4 with 578 viewsfooters

Sorry to hear that, hoppy. My best wishes to KJ and family.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 10:55 - May 4 with 561 viewspimballwizard

Jeez mate . Please pass on my bestest wishes to KJ . Happy memories and of course of times to come whether it be on the astro turf at PR or getting soaked in a field in North Gloucestershire playing silly games !!

KTF and stay safe.

Best . Mr C.
This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 11:07 - May 4 with 546 viewsfactual_blue

Bloody hell. Pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bluebadger can keep an eye on her, so what more could you hope for?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 11:08 - May 4 with 546 viewseireblue

Crikey, hopefully KJ will be out soon and can call up the EADT to explain the correct pronunciation of Yasmin. Tut tut.
This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 11:13 - May 4 with 538 viewsBlue_Order

Sorry to hear that mate.

All the best.
This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 11:15 - May 4 with 532 viewsKieran_Knows

Sorry to hear that Hoppy, all the very best to you all.

Like others have already mentioned, I get the impression even Supermarkets are started to become fairly blase about it all. Went to do our weekly food shop one Friday evening a couple of weeks back, and the Asda on Bury Road was as busy as it normally was before all this started. Was quite uncomfortable.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 11:20 - May 4 with 527 viewsgordon

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 11:15 - May 4 by Kieran_Knows

Sorry to hear that Hoppy, all the very best to you all.

Like others have already mentioned, I get the impression even Supermarkets are started to become fairly blase about it all. Went to do our weekly food shop one Friday evening a couple of weeks back, and the Asda on Bury Road was as busy as it normally was before all this started. Was quite uncomfortable.

Yes, there's a risk we're going to get stuck in a position where the daily rate of infection remains too high to lift measures, but because we're all starting to relax because the messaging from the government is far too optimistic (in my opinion), the infection rate is going to stay stubbornly high.
This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 11:21 - May 4 with 526 viewsBlueBadger

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 09:55 - May 4 by Guthrum

The majority aren't wearing any kind of mask or face-covering, either. Or following the arrows/footprints on the floor.

Most of the face coverings I've seen in the supermarket either won't do the job(because they're thin scarves that will soon moisten and offer little no no effective barrier in or out) or are being worn very badly - ie, not properly fitted to the face, they're constantly being removed and hung around chins /necks so the the wearer can scratch/talk on the phone.etc and seem to be offering a false sense of security to their owners. Most of the mask wearers I've encountered in the supermarket seem to believe that they're now immune to everything and *will* invade your 2 metre zone.

I suffer from an allergy-driven rhinitis that this year has manifested itself as a dry cough rather than the traditional sniffles. I normally rein it in a fair bit bit I'm tending to 'let it go' a bit in the supermarket when faced with one of these berks. I've also taken to using my trolley to 'block' aisles so people can't sneak up behind me.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 11:52 - May 4 with 492 viewsRocky

All the best for a speedy recovery.
This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 12:02 - May 4 with 476 viewsAce_High1

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 10:17 - May 4 by longtimefan

Must admit that's what I do now. When this all started I was wearing gloves, put on on leaving the car and removing before re-entry. However, I realised I was still occasionally touching my face with them on, totally defeating the object. Also, what do you do at the checkout? Open your wallet with them on or take them off prior to doing that? You may then either put infection on your wallet or infect your hands via the trolley or bags you've used.

This is where you need to pre-plan.

Credit card out of wallet already in back pocket ready for the checkpoint. Remove left glove, insert credit card, then use gloves right hand to put in PIN number....... left hand to put credit card back into pocket, glove back on.... get the hell out of there!! Dispose of gloves.
This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 12:12 - May 4 with 468 viewssparks

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 12:02 - May 4 by Ace_High1

This is where you need to pre-plan.

Credit card out of wallet already in back pocket ready for the checkpoint. Remove left glove, insert credit card, then use gloves right hand to put in PIN number....... left hand to put credit card back into pocket, glove back on.... get the hell out of there!! Dispose of gloves.

It shows that this virus is extraordinarily slippery in terms of contagiousness.

I wear gloves in the coop (though am running out- starting to wash and re-use a week later). We also wash everything that comes into the house- sink full of soapy water- work through the shopping before anything goes further than the utility room. Things like paper packets of flour etc are problematic though. Also have a strict regime for deliveries- I do the unwrapping, get rid of the cardboard immiediately and wash hands. Anything which might have been packed in the last couple of days sits in quarantine in the hall for a few days before anyone uses / touches it. Anything in plastic gets emptied out and the plastic thrown out.

And yet- morons in the CoOp are still being morons. Had a fairly serious set-to with a woman in there yesterday who brished past me saying "sorry" whilst I was at the checkout, rather than gong around the other way to get to the aisle she wanted. She then did it again on the way back and I got somewhat irate... Her excuse? "I said sorry... what more do you want" Followed by "Im not 2 metres now so...."

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 12:23 - May 4 with 452 viewsRyorry

Flippin Nora Hoppy, absolutely shocked to hear all that. Well done to you both for doing both the newspaper article & for posting it here.

All the best to you all, may KJ's recovery continue speedily so you can all be reunited soon.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 12:25 - May 4 with 447 viewsAce_High1

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 12:12 - May 4 by sparks

It shows that this virus is extraordinarily slippery in terms of contagiousness.

I wear gloves in the coop (though am running out- starting to wash and re-use a week later). We also wash everything that comes into the house- sink full of soapy water- work through the shopping before anything goes further than the utility room. Things like paper packets of flour etc are problematic though. Also have a strict regime for deliveries- I do the unwrapping, get rid of the cardboard immiediately and wash hands. Anything which might have been packed in the last couple of days sits in quarantine in the hall for a few days before anyone uses / touches it. Anything in plastic gets emptied out and the plastic thrown out.

And yet- morons in the CoOp are still being morons. Had a fairly serious set-to with a woman in there yesterday who brished past me saying "sorry" whilst I was at the checkout, rather than gong around the other way to get to the aisle she wanted. She then did it again on the way back and I got somewhat irate... Her excuse? "I said sorry... what more do you want" Followed by "Im not 2 metres now so...."

Absolutely, the behaviour of some people in shops is a disgrace.

I try and put off going for as long as I can and then when I am there wear gloves and keep as far away from people as I can.

Yet people have no idea, in the question on Saturday everyone is keeping 2 metres apart as shown on the pavement and then one women at the front walks right up to the poor supermarket employee to ask a question and is literally face to face. People are clueless.

In the shop, people coughing and not covering their mouths, leaving trolleys and wandering around the stores, stopping for a chat two or three trolleys at a time.

I try and get in and out as quick as I can whilst complying with the rules.

I am managing to isolate perfectly fine apart from the shopping, so if I do get it I will know where I contracted it from. Before all this I never used the shop, always online deliveries but since end of March can't get an online delivery at all.
This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 12:37 - May 4 with 431 viewsRyorry

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 12:12 - May 4 by sparks

Good point about the contagion via surfaces contact with this virus.

"Quarantining" of items is the way to go tho. All my shopping is either done online or via deliveries from kind neighbours & I simply do not have the time (or patience really) to disinfect everything that comes into the house - it's impossible to do anyway with some things - bread that comes in paper bags, cereals in cardboard boxes, letters through the post etc.

So items that need the frig go straight in there & then I just wash my hands after handling or cooking them. Everything else gets tipped out of the wrapping which then goes straight into the recycling, or if not poss to do that, into quarantine in the basement for at least 3 days.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 12:44 - May 4 with 426 viewsgainsboroughblue

Hope she is home soon mate.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 12:46 - May 4 with 423 viewsBLUEGOLD

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 12:37 - May 4 by Ryorry

Good point about the contagion via surfaces contact with this virus.

"Quarantining" of items is the way to go tho. All my shopping is either done online or via deliveries from kind neighbours & I simply do not have the time (or patience really) to disinfect everything that comes into the house - it's impossible to do anyway with some things - bread that comes in paper bags, cereals in cardboard boxes, letters through the post etc.

So items that need the frig go straight in there & then I just wash my hands after handling or cooking them. Everything else gets tipped out of the wrapping which then goes straight into the recycling, or if not poss to do that, into quarantine in the basement for at least 3 days.

I’m sorry to hear this Hoppy.

My other half works in a Covid ward and I cannot believe some of the nonsense I read from some posters on here, particularly NotSure who I hope is a troll, but the lockdown is saving lives and the health service would collapse if people went back to the old normal.

It’s taken 6 weeks to get it manageable levels
This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 12:50 - May 4 with 417 viewsJonBlue

This certainly isn’t a ‘look at me’... but having just read the lockdown t on 12:25 - May 4 by Ace_High1

Absolutely, the behaviour of some people in shops is a disgrace.

I try and put off going for as long as I can and then when I am there wear gloves and keep as far away from people as I can.

Yet people have no idea, in the question on Saturday everyone is keeping 2 metres apart as shown on the pavement and then one women at the front walks right up to the poor supermarket employee to ask a question and is literally face to face. People are clueless.

In the shop, people coughing and not covering their mouths, leaving trolleys and wandering around the stores, stopping for a chat two or three trolleys at a time.

I try and get in and out as quick as I can whilst complying with the rules.

I am managing to isolate perfectly fine apart from the shopping, so if I do get it I will know where I contracted it from. Before all this I never used the shop, always online deliveries but since end of March can't get an online delivery at all.

It's fun being a supermarket worker at the moment. Although a lot of people do try to follow the social distancing rules, a significant minority do not and that's where the whole system falls down. I'm resigned to the fact that I'm very likely to be infected at some point (if I haven't been already) and all I can hope is that it doesn't affect me too seriously. I'm getting 90p an hour extra 'danger money' at the moment so that makes everything alright...

Best wishes to your family, Hoppy.
[Post edited 4 May 2020 13:02]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024