Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? 18:23 - May 24 with 10283 viewsMaySixth

Not loaded, not trolling, genuinely interested.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 22:16 - May 24 with 2966 viewsSpruceMoose

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 22:13 - May 24 by footers

Should socks not pulled up to the knee constitute a yellow card? IMO, yes.

What about playing in those little socks you can hide in your trainers? A fully exposed muscular calf would look pretty good to your Greek eyes surely?

And why do no football boots feature brogue patterning?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 22:18 - May 24 with 2954 viewsfooters

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 22:16 - May 24 by SpruceMoose

What about playing in those little socks you can hide in your trainers? A fully exposed muscular calf would look pretty good to your Greek eyes surely?

And why do no football boots feature brogue patterning?

Trainer socks are for women and effeminate blokes that pout in pictures.

Good question on the brogues though. Might be a few quid in that.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 22:20 - May 24 with 2948 viewsSpruceMoose

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 22:18 - May 24 by footers

This is the kind of football chat I come here for.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 22:23 - May 24 with 2937 viewsjeera

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 22:18 - May 24 by footers

Hang on a second.

You cannot go out wearing trainers wearing regular socks.

That's up there with sock and sandals.

Trainer socks are absolutely necessary unless you wanna look like your dad.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 22:31 - May 24 with 2922 viewsfooters

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 22:23 - May 24 by jeera

Hang on a second.

You cannot go out wearing trainers wearing regular socks.

That's up there with sock and sandals.

Trainer socks are absolutely necessary unless you wanna look like your dad.

Oh jeera... not you. Not you.

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 22:42 - May 24 with 2911 viewsjeera

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 22:31 - May 24 by footers

Oh jeera... not you. Not you.

What's are the options though?

Girl trainer socks, (your words, not mine), or dad socks look?

I mean, really?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 05:39 - May 25 with 2835 viewsdickie

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 22:07 - May 24 by textbackup

Pushed a tampon up too far, always get grumpy when that happens

You be careful sweetheart, toxic shock syndrome can kill. Want to get you some ibuprofen and a hot water bottle?
If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 11:12 - May 25 with 2767 viewspointofblue

Back to the OP as I have a confession - I voted Conservative in 2010, 2015 and 2017.

2010: I felt the country needed a different approach from a tiring Labour Party who were seemingly running out of steam, especially in light of the financial crisis which they hadn’t got a grip on
2015: Working for local Government I felt that the coalition had actually done a reasonable job over the previous five years and had worked together well. The presence of the Liberal Democrats also curbed the far right of the Conservatives. I was disappointed the Liberal Democrat vote collapsed to the extent it did.
2017: My belief was that May was looking for common sense answers to serious questions which faced the country, especially within adult social care. It is my feeling that she should have not backed down on a cap and rode the furore through. It made her look anything but strong and stable.

In 2015 and 2017 I read through every party’s manifesto and voted what I thought was right for the country. Was I naive? Was I risk averse? Possibly. But when reading the 2019 manifestos and knowing who was running the Conservatives I could not vote for them. I could see what was going to happen. I voted for the Greens based on their manifesto even though I did not agree with every promise they made. Every day that goes by I’m happier with my decision but sadder for the country.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 21:10 - May 25 with 2710 viewsMaySixth

I have no idea but someone please tell me textbackup has had a meltdown because someone he or she doesnt know has posted this thread.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 08:15 - May 26 with 2635 viewsElephantintheRoom

I didn't vote tory but I can answer that quite easily.

The tory party have always gone for selfish self interest above the state.... a popular option for wealthier people and the self-employed.... and the elderly.... they have never appealed to the majority and even in the 'oven-ready brexit' election only got 44% of the vote.

Just a few days before covid took off in this country a vile chancellor stamped his feet and resigned because he wasn't allowed to cut taxes and services..... strangely nothing has been heard from him since.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 10:00 - May 26 with 2618 viewsBrixtonBlue

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 19:55 - May 24 by BloomBlue

All governments have good and bad things about them, I've seen so many but I've never seen a perfect one and i never expect one to be perfect because no individual or group has ever perfect. The important thing for me is the best pieces are greater than the bad pieces. I think they've done a lot right so far and in the end you have to vote on what is available and at the last GE Labour wasn't a an option especially Corbyn's inability to make a decision. After the shltshower on Blair and Brown, Labour had a chance to change but the Labour membership picked the wrong leader.
Starmer has started well but we'll have to see what his policies are, you aren't going to win a GE purely on asking questions.
Plus in 4+ years things will be different ie will a party want to take us back into the EU and adopting the Euro?

"I think they've done a lot right so far"

Can you name some of these things?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 10:27 - May 26 with 2603 viewsTJS

I voted for them and it is what it is - I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.
I normally vote Lib Dem but there was no way I could vote for simply overturning the result of a democratic referendum (despite voting remain)
I don't think Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott would have been any more competent either.
Let's not forget that is the alternative that Labour decided to offer 5 months ago - not Keir Starmer.
If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 11:05 - May 26 with 2579 viewstractordownsouth

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 10:27 - May 26 by TJS

I voted for them and it is what it is - I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.
I normally vote Lib Dem but there was no way I could vote for simply overturning the result of a democratic referendum (despite voting remain)
I don't think Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbott would have been any more competent either.
Let's not forget that is the alternative that Labour decided to offer 5 months ago - not Keir Starmer.

Yep, those are fair points. I'd have prefered a Labour govt, but it was the worst offer we put forward in a General Election for years. And even as an someone who wanted a vote on the deal due to the facts that had emerged since the referendum, I thought the Lib Dem stance was arrogant - I voted Lib Dem as Labour never win where I live and the candidate also disagreed with the revoke policy.

Would you vote for Keir now?

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 12:04 - May 26 with 2548 viewsJambo

Much like GB, I voted from '97 until the last election for the Tories.
I resigned my Conservative membership after the DUP deal.
Being in South Norfolk, our area is a safe Tory seat and being a farmer they have always been the party that have understood Agriculture more than any other.

However, with the rejection of the Agriculture Bill, that would have protected British produced food from lower standard imports I do not believe that they truly care about anything and will now bulldoze their plans through with the majority they have.

If there was an election tomorrow, I'd vote for Labour. Early days for Keir Starmer as a leader but he comes across as a proper politician / statesman not some chancer who has blustered his way into office.

I think that any govt would have struggled with Covid 19 the only bright spot being that Rishi Sunak is appearing to be a very dynamic chancellor.

It is what it is and I find it deeply troubling.
If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 12:09 - May 26 with 2544 viewsVaughan8

I think a lot of people who voted for them did so because Corbyn was an even worse option.

We will never know how he would have done in this situation.
If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 12:14 - May 26 with 2534 viewsSarge

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 19:55 - May 24 by BloomBlue

All governments have good and bad things about them, I've seen so many but I've never seen a perfect one and i never expect one to be perfect because no individual or group has ever perfect. The important thing for me is the best pieces are greater than the bad pieces. I think they've done a lot right so far and in the end you have to vote on what is available and at the last GE Labour wasn't a an option especially Corbyn's inability to make a decision. After the shltshower on Blair and Brown, Labour had a chance to change but the Labour membership picked the wrong leader.
Starmer has started well but we'll have to see what his policies are, you aren't going to win a GE purely on asking questions.
Plus in 4+ years things will be different ie will a party want to take us back into the EU and adopting the Euro?

“ Starmer has started well but we'll have to see what his policies are, you aren't going to win a GE purely on asking questions.”

No, as we’ve seen, to win a GE you hide in a fridge so you don’t have to answer questions.
If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 12:18 - May 26 with 2516 viewsbracknell_blue

Thney have proved themselves just as bad, as morally corrupt, as inept and as condecending as I feared.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 12:24 - May 26 with 2493 viewsmrshallisfit

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 20:18 - May 24 by GlasgowBlue

I didn't vote Tory last election because I resigned from the Tory party in 2017 out of disgust for May doing a deal with the DUP.

I previously voted Tory in 83, 87 and 92 as I belived the Tories offered the policies that were best for the country.

In 97, 02 and 05 I voted Tory purely for misguided tribal reasons. Blair was always going to be a far better PM that Hague (at the time) IDS, and Howard. Thinking back it was extremely misguided illogical tribalism.

20 and 2015 because I believed the Tories had the best plan to get the economy back on course after the crash. 2017 reluctantly but the alternative was Corbyn which was far worse.

I would have voted Lib Dem in December but I thought the campaign was appalling and it was a case of a pox on all your houses.

So...... you always have Tory. And always,will I guess
If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 13:10 - May 26 with 2446 viewsTJS

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 11:05 - May 26 by tractordownsouth

Yep, those are fair points. I'd have prefered a Labour govt, but it was the worst offer we put forward in a General Election for years. And even as an someone who wanted a vote on the deal due to the facts that had emerged since the referendum, I thought the Lib Dem stance was arrogant - I voted Lib Dem as Labour never win where I live and the candidate also disagreed with the revoke policy.

Would you vote for Keir now?

To be honest probably not - I would probably vote Lib Dem again but wouldn't have any serious problem with Starmer being PM either.
If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 14:02 - May 26 with 2403 viewsRadlett_blue

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 18:26 - May 24 by dickie

Irrespective of the state of the Labour Party at the election

Governments often fare badly at polls mid term because respondents know they aren't electing a Prime Minister & a government. However, all the recent reputable polls give the Tories around 47% & Labour 34%.
Interesting. If I thought TWTD was a representative sample, I would have expected the polls to forecast a Labour landslide. The same from the endless social media outrage. My only conclusion is that our politics are more divisive than ever, but also that the vocal antis will usually out-shout the quiet supporters.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 14:12 - May 26 with 2389 viewsgordon

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 14:02 - May 26 by Radlett_blue

Governments often fare badly at polls mid term because respondents know they aren't electing a Prime Minister & a government. However, all the recent reputable polls give the Tories around 47% & Labour 34%.
Interesting. If I thought TWTD was a representative sample, I would have expected the polls to forecast a Labour landslide. The same from the endless social media outrage. My only conclusion is that our politics are more divisive than ever, but also that the vocal antis will usually out-shout the quiet supporters.

It's just an age skew thing, isn't it?

At least until they came up with the ballsy policy of culling their core demographic, the Conservative Party attract a far greater share of the vote with those more experienced members of society.

TWTD age profile is presumably lower, so less likely to be positively disposed towards the Conservative Party. Same with Twitter etc.
If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 14:20 - May 26 with 2375 viewsSarge

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 14:12 - May 26 by gordon

It's just an age skew thing, isn't it?

At least until they came up with the ballsy policy of culling their core demographic, the Conservative Party attract a far greater share of the vote with those more experienced members of society.

TWTD age profile is presumably lower, so less likely to be positively disposed towards the Conservative Party. Same with Twitter etc.

I think that certainly plays a part.

Almost nobody that I know of in my social circles (mid 20s) would support the Conservatives aside from the more simple ones who’ll post a picture on facebook of Boris waving a flag on a zip line with something like ‘look how much he cares, get behind him’ etc.

Ultimately why would anyone young vote for them?
If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 15:06 - May 26 with 2348 viewsHerbivore

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 19:33 - May 24 by Chrisd

I voted Tory sadly, but at that time it was a best of a very bad bunch. Boris has left the door massively ajar now for Labour, Keir Starmer really needs to burst right through it. This is a huge opportunity.
[Post edited 24 May 2020 20:24]

Correction: they were the worst of a bad bunch.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 15:21 - May 26 with 2324 viewsgordon

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/26/dominic-cummings-boris-joh

Elect a career liar, composed of nothing but narcissism, and this is what you end up with.

And, if anyone thinks things are bad right now, wait till we're experiencing a second wave of COVID in winter, while also trying to exit the EU without any semblance of a coherent strategy to manage either.
If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 15:26 - May 26 with 2314 viewsHerbivore

If you voted Tory at last Election, what do you genuinely think of this govt? on 11:12 - May 25 by pointofblue

Back to the OP as I have a confession - I voted Conservative in 2010, 2015 and 2017.

2010: I felt the country needed a different approach from a tiring Labour Party who were seemingly running out of steam, especially in light of the financial crisis which they hadn’t got a grip on
2015: Working for local Government I felt that the coalition had actually done a reasonable job over the previous five years and had worked together well. The presence of the Liberal Democrats also curbed the far right of the Conservatives. I was disappointed the Liberal Democrat vote collapsed to the extent it did.
2017: My belief was that May was looking for common sense answers to serious questions which faced the country, especially within adult social care. It is my feeling that she should have not backed down on a cap and rode the furore through. It made her look anything but strong and stable.

In 2015 and 2017 I read through every party’s manifesto and voted what I thought was right for the country. Was I naive? Was I risk averse? Possibly. But when reading the 2019 manifestos and knowing who was running the Conservatives I could not vote for them. I could see what was going to happen. I voted for the Greens based on their manifesto even though I did not agree with every promise they made. Every day that goes by I’m happier with my decision but sadder for the country.

I also worked in local government from 2010-15 and I don't know how you reach the conclusion that they did a good job. They utterly decimated services during that time.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024