Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead 15:16 - Jul 10 with 4675 viewshampstead_blue

The Times page 3.

He's spot on. If the BBC put out The Office today he would have had throngs pounding down his door.

F😘CK your sensitivities. I want the likes of Gervais to have space to challenge and make us wet ourselves.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:35 - Jul 10 with 1314 viewsSpruceMoose

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:33 - Jul 10 by itfcjoe

I think a lot of it is attention seeking, write an article on why something should be cancelled and it gets hits.

Agree with the rest, as to why certain terms drop out of what is acceptable and get cut out etc

Yeah you're probably right, It's very easy to just sit at home in your pants and whip up a frenzy online nowadays. Except a lot of the time it's not much of a frenzy at all really.

The press may report on it like it is but often it seems to just be a handful of people on both sides of the argument wetting their pants and going at it while everyone else looks on going 'eh?'. Mainly it seems to be the 'PC Gone Mad' crowd who make the biggest fuss.

Half the time I think it's just stuff we can ignore to be honest.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 16:43]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:36 - Jul 10 with 1314 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:33 - Jul 10 by itfcjoe

I think a lot of it is attention seeking, write an article on why something should be cancelled and it gets hits.

Agree with the rest, as to why certain terms drop out of what is acceptable and get cut out etc

Agreed, and the default twitter setting of OUTRAGE and pedantry.

I agree that 'some' items will need to be censored, but they are likely to be pretty rare incidents.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:38 - Jul 10 with 1307 viewsDarth_Koont

You what?

Pronouns: He/Him

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:47 - Jul 10 with 1290 viewsMullet

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:31 - Jul 10 by SpruceMoose

Not sure why saying things should be looked at maturely and on a case by case basis has got a downvote from you Mullet.

I thought a bland middle ground approach would be right up your street?
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 16:33]

Please be Mullet-specific in future you festering tic hotel x

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:53 - Jul 10 with 1272 viewsHerbivore

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:36 - Jul 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Agreed, and the default twitter setting of OUTRAGE and pedantry.

I agree that 'some' items will need to be censored, but they are likely to be pretty rare incidents.

I see far more outrage aimed at the apparently oversensitive people who are allegedly outraged about stuff than I do actual outrage from those who are allegedly outraged. This is just the modern version of political correctness gone mad, people getting offended because you can't say blackboard or Christmas anymore because it offends people, when in truth literally nobody is offended by it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:58 - Jul 10 with 1258 viewsSpruceMoose

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:47 - Jul 10 by Mullet

Please be Mullet-specific in future you festering tic hotel x

I'm more of a tic B&B, but duly noted.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 17:00 - Jul 10 with 1256 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:31 - Jul 10 by SpruceMoose

Not sure why saying things should be looked at maturely and on a case by case basis has got a downvote from you Mullet.

I thought a bland middle ground approach would be right up your street?
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 16:33]

Apologies love, just habit.

I have now returned it to neutral.

You know all about giving down votes for no reason.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 17:02 - Jul 10 with 1251 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:53 - Jul 10 by Herbivore

I see far more outrage aimed at the apparently oversensitive people who are allegedly outraged about stuff than I do actual outrage from those who are allegedly outraged. This is just the modern version of political correctness gone mad, people getting offended because you can't say blackboard or Christmas anymore because it offends people, when in truth literally nobody is offended by it.

Outrage, outrage everywhere!

Login to get fewer ads

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 17:04 - Jul 10 with 1241 viewsHerbivore

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 17:02 - Jul 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Outrage, outrage everywhere!

People just need to chill. Nobody is trying to cancel Christmas or make it illegal to ask for a black coffee in Costa.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 17:04 - Jul 10 with 1241 viewsSpruceMoose

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 17:00 - Jul 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Apologies love, just habit.

I have now returned it to neutral.

You know all about giving down votes for no reason.

You're a strange one.

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 17:33 - Jul 10 with 1202 viewsWeWereZombies

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:02 - Jul 10 by Libero

"he went home and got a book"

'my knees hurt'

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 17:51 - Jul 10 with 1190 viewssolomon

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 15:38 - Jul 10 by JakeITFC

What in the office do you think is problematic and would require censorship today?

Bearing in mind that I know it pretty much off by heart so you can be specific.

I think the Pakistani lad in (I think it’s was the first episode) where Brent referred to him as not being him but “the other one” to which the guy replied “you mean the other p...” that would be a non starter today.
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 17:55 - Jul 10 with 1184 viewsSpruceMoose

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 17:51 - Jul 10 by solomon

I think the Pakistani lad in (I think it’s was the first episode) where Brent referred to him as not being him but “the other one” to which the guy replied “you mean the other p...” that would be a non starter today.

I think it's fine. The joke is at the expense of the racist and not the minority.

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 18:05 - Jul 10 with 1177 viewseireblue

Aren’t you the snowflake that is always asking people to be nice to you?

Curious.

Anyway, Gervais is still making comedies, I wonder how that is happening.
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 18:17 - Jul 10 with 1170 viewsLankHenners

Gervais is almost solely responsible for the tedious ‘cancel culture’ cycle. He hasn’t done anything that funny in years and now every time someone doesn’t find a joke of his funny he makes a big thing of that person being ‘offended’ when in reality just saying something slightly outrageous with no punchline is lazy and unfunny.

It all boils down to a few things - being offended and finding something distasteful are different things and get conflated far too much; ‘offended’ people have existed forever, and people have shown distaste at shows through the years at the time they aired not just in retrospect; it’s easier to share an opinion with the masses than it used to be; it’s an easy click bait topic for online media outlets; well meaning but misguided tv people shouldn’t delete episodes/series but if necessary put a disclaimer up before hand, exceptions perhaps made for particularly harsh language which doesn’t seem to have a clear reason for being there; you don’t have to get worked up every time someone voices they don’t like something, they might have a point, they might be overreacting, who really cares; I find, generally, the people who complain about ‘cancel culture’ or ‘you can’t say anything anymore’ tend to be about as funny as a kick in the bollox themselves and only like ‘offensive’ things because they think they’re rebelling against an invented PC culture.

Just watch the TV you want and don’t get put out of shape if someone doesn’t like it for whatever reason.

I’d also add that given we hear from all these people all the time without actively seeking them out, that there isn’t some mass silencing of ‘risky’ voices, and I think they know that.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 18:19]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 18:28 - Jul 10 with 1147 viewshampstead_blue

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 15:38 - Jul 10 by JakeITFC

What in the office do you think is problematic and would require censorship today?

Bearing in mind that I know it pretty much off by heart so you can be specific.

I wish there was a way of posting photos from our phones.
I'd pic the article so you can see.

Gervais is pretty adamant the cancel culture at the BBC would have for him

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 18:33 - Jul 10 with 1143 viewsFunge

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:21 - Jul 10 by itfcjoe

Because people deliberately remove context from comedy these days and it would be shown as a stand alone thing which would be out of order.

There are people wanting Friends cancelled because it is 'overtly homophobic'

Friends should be cancelled because it is W A N K spells sh1t.
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 18:48 - Jul 10 with 1126 viewsghostofescobar

B0ll0x - Fleabag as an example.

GhostOfEscobar

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 18:53 - Jul 10 with 1117 viewsEwan_Oozami

In that case, do you find Stewart Lee funny?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 18:57 - Jul 10 with 1107 viewsm14_blue

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 16:02 - Jul 10 by Libero

"he went home and got a book"

Reads a book a week.
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 19:17 - Jul 10 with 1080 viewsLibero

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 18:57 - Jul 10 by m14_blue

Reads a book a week.

“There are some things I won’t laugh at, for example, the disabled...”
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 19:22 - Jul 10 with 1072 viewsLibero

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 17:55 - Jul 10 by SpruceMoose

I think it's fine. The joke is at the expense of the racist and not the minority.

Yep, exactly.

It’s not rocket science.
Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 19:34 - Jul 10 with 1048 viewsTrequartista

The brilliance about those scenes in The Office are that he's using the different characters to portray conversations about race that people are normally afraid to partake in. On one level they lampoon casual racism, and then on another they poke a stick at liberal sensibilities on debating it.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 19:36 - Jul 10 with 1038 viewshampstead_blue

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 18:05 - Jul 10 by eireblue

Aren’t you the snowflake that is always asking people to be nice to you?

Curious.

Anyway, Gervais is still making comedies, I wonder how that is happening.

Sorry, is this post direct to myself? It's deep in the page so not sure. I'll answer with goodwill.
If it is I then I am agreeing with RG. RG is saying that he feels hampered and lucky that he's made his money. He clearly is firing some criticism at the BBC for their wimpish behaviour to the pathetic cancel culture.
Maybe for him to be at his best he needs to go to a Netflix or other platform.

I think the BBC is pretty lame at best and seems to adopt the latest trends in wimpish behavior. They need a darn good flush out.

What is interesting is that a few in the thread want strong comedy and for words and comedy to be taken in context BUT.......when it's directed at them they cry wolf.

Herbi and Libero are all for strong words (in context) but.........well, "they don't like it up 'em".....to quote the wonderful Cpl Jones.

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 19:54 - Jul 10 with 1013 viewsDubtractor

Gervais. Risky comedy is dead on 19:36 - Jul 10 by hampstead_blue

Sorry, is this post direct to myself? It's deep in the page so not sure. I'll answer with goodwill.
If it is I then I am agreeing with RG. RG is saying that he feels hampered and lucky that he's made his money. He clearly is firing some criticism at the BBC for their wimpish behaviour to the pathetic cancel culture.
Maybe for him to be at his best he needs to go to a Netflix or other platform.

I think the BBC is pretty lame at best and seems to adopt the latest trends in wimpish behavior. They need a darn good flush out.

What is interesting is that a few in the thread want strong comedy and for words and comedy to be taken in context BUT.......when it's directed at them they cry wolf.

Herbi and Libero are all for strong words (in context) but.........well, "they don't like it up 'em".....to quote the wonderful Cpl Jones.

You keep talking about the BBC's cancel culture, can you list maybe 5 things that they have cancelled that come under this p1ss weak claim?

Also, 'cancel culture' this is another victim like phrase from the very people that like to call people on the left a snowflake isn't it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024