Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine 22:33 - Jul 13 with 20743 viewsElderGrizzly

About time too.

Pubs next?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:23 - Jul 14 with 1927 viewsMullet

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:20 - Jul 14 by 26_Paz

There was a guy on TV yesterday (I can’t remember who he was). He was saying that polling has shown that Britons are some on the most cautious people in Europe when it comes to their attitude to corona. Polling has also shown that we are the country with the least support for mask wearing in Europe. Baffling. *Probably because the government spent months telling us they were useless!*

The fact we see Johnson in a bright blue one plastered all over the media is very telling. This was after all the bloke who caught it after bragging about shaking hands and doing as he pleased in a hospital.

This is a bloke who has decided he wants a health kick after killing off a massive chunk of his population and voter base. Who has realised his obesity is what did him so much harm, he is a classic narcissist - the only way to get through to him is to make it affect him.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:27 - Jul 14 with 1911 viewssparks

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 23:44 - Jul 13 by jeera

I don't doubt that much either Matty.

And it still wont make me rush out and buy more stuff, but am happy to do my bit when I do go.

I simply wont go to shops... I find the idea of masks really rather unpleasant on a number of levels, albeit I recognise the medical case for it. I am not going to wear one anymore than I have to- which means no shops for me. No great loss in the online age.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:28 - Jul 14 with 1911 views26_Paz

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:23 - Jul 14 by Mullet

The fact we see Johnson in a bright blue one plastered all over the media is very telling. This was after all the bloke who caught it after bragging about shaking hands and doing as he pleased in a hospital.

This is a bloke who has decided he wants a health kick after killing off a massive chunk of his population and voter base. Who has realised his obesity is what did him so much harm, he is a classic narcissist - the only way to get through to him is to make it affect him.

Boris got just shy of 14 million votes in 2019 to jezza’s just over 10 million. Even if you assume all 60,000 odd excess deaths were of tories that is not a large chunk of his voter base. And you talk like he killed them himself rather than the deadly disease that has killed hundreds of thousands worldwide doing it ...

The Paz Man

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:34 - Jul 14 with 1900 viewsMullet

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:28 - Jul 14 by 26_Paz

Boris got just shy of 14 million votes in 2019 to jezza’s just over 10 million. Even if you assume all 60,000 odd excess deaths were of tories that is not a large chunk of his voter base. And you talk like he killed them himself rather than the deadly disease that has killed hundreds of thousands worldwide doing it ...

60,000 is a large chunk of people - we're still at a plane crash per day in deaths. Frame it in those terms it's head line news for weeks.

Those people have families, had his negligence killed my loved one(s) and I had voted him in I'd be resentful to say the least. His actions caused deaths, preventable ones that is fairly conclusive. It's a matter of whether you can live with that or not.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:40 - Jul 14 with 1886 views26_Paz

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:34 - Jul 14 by Mullet

60,000 is a large chunk of people - we're still at a plane crash per day in deaths. Frame it in those terms it's head line news for weeks.

Those people have families, had his negligence killed my loved one(s) and I had voted him in I'd be resentful to say the least. His actions caused deaths, preventable ones that is fairly conclusive. It's a matter of whether you can live with that or not.

Mistakes have been made in the handling of this for sure ... an inquiry in the fullness of time will explore exactly what went wrong and what went right. It’s a devilish situation to manage. There will be some kind of inquiry as to why our numbers are worse than a lot of other countries ... government handling of the situation may be one factor. Age of population, density of population, general unfit nature of a lot of British people will be other factors ...

The Paz Man

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:45 - Jul 14 with 1872 viewsMullet

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:40 - Jul 14 by 26_Paz

Mistakes have been made in the handling of this for sure ... an inquiry in the fullness of time will explore exactly what went wrong and what went right. It’s a devilish situation to manage. There will be some kind of inquiry as to why our numbers are worse than a lot of other countries ... government handling of the situation may be one factor. Age of population, density of population, general unfit nature of a lot of British people will be other factors ...

Herd immunity, a refusal to accept responsibility, PPE, Barnard Castle, care homes etc. you can apologise and deflect all you like. You might get Hancock's job if you keep going a little more.

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:50 - Jul 14 with 1851 viewsfooters

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:45 - Jul 14 by Mullet

Herd immunity, a refusal to accept responsibility, PPE, Barnard Castle, care homes etc. you can apologise and deflect all you like. You might get Hancock's job if you keep going a little more.

There's also about 52% of the country who are thick as pig sh1t and refuse to face facts when they're presented. But I'm sure it's not their fault. As usual.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:50 - Jul 14 with 1851 viewsitfcjoe

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:06 - Jul 14 by GlasgowBlue

Why? There is no great effort in putting a piece of cloth over your face.

I think it will, one shop insisted on wearing one when I was out on Sunday - it's a pain and not that comfortable, for someone wearing glasses guess even more so.

It was nice having a normal days shopping, now I won't bother to do that sort of trip, I'll pop in as and when I need things but won't be a browser or used as an activity for me as too much hassle with the kids

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:53 - Jul 14 with 1831 views26_Paz

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:45 - Jul 14 by Mullet

Every country had issues with PPE. Whilst I agree discharging people into care homes was borderline insane it has to be looked at in the context of the time. There were genuine fears (that thankfully were never realised) that hospitals would be overwhelmed. One man driving to Barnard castle to protect his family will have no impact whatsoever on a pandemic of this scale. Questions to be answered and lessons to be learnt, yes, a scandal on the scale you are suggesting, I’m not sure.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 8:54]

The Paz Man

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 09:02 - Jul 14 with 1807 viewsellerblue

Here in Germany the wearing of masks/ face coverings on public transport and all shops has been in force for about 3 months. simple put mask on before entering take off when leaving no mask no travel no mask no service this is in conjunction with social distancing, you do not have to wear in pubs but serving staff are obliged to wear face covering as also shop staff have to wear face covering

Heinsberg Blue

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 09:02 - Jul 14 with 1805 viewsbluelagos

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:53 - Jul 14 by 26_Paz

Every country had issues with PPE. Whilst I agree discharging people into care homes was borderline insane it has to be looked at in the context of the time. There were genuine fears (that thankfully were never realised) that hospitals would be overwhelmed. One man driving to Barnard castle to protect his family will have no impact whatsoever on a pandemic of this scale. Questions to be answered and lessons to be learnt, yes, a scandal on the scale you are suggesting, I’m not sure.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 8:54]

Given that over 20k old people died in care homes - I think the scale of the questions are rather large tbf.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 09:30 - Jul 14 with 1764 viewsJakeITFC

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 08:27 - Jul 14 by sparks

I simply wont go to shops... I find the idea of masks really rather unpleasant on a number of levels, albeit I recognise the medical case for it. I am not going to wear one anymore than I have to- which means no shops for me. No great loss in the online age.

I have got quite used to wearing one in shops now (despite having glasses which makes it tricky) and am over the initial discomfort - think you'd probably surprise yourself at how normal it becomes quite quickly.

I have also found that people have been more considerate of my presence and given more space whilst wearing the mask - hopefully that's another side effect of this legislation.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 09:32 - Jul 14 with 1756 views26_Paz

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 09:30 - Jul 14 by JakeITFC

I have got quite used to wearing one in shops now (despite having glasses which makes it tricky) and am over the initial discomfort - think you'd probably surprise yourself at how normal it becomes quite quickly.

I have also found that people have been more considerate of my presence and given more space whilst wearing the mask - hopefully that's another side effect of this legislation.

I’ve been back on public transport for over a month now for work. Hated it at first but very used to it now ... hopefully people will adjust quite quickly

The Paz Man

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 09:33 - Jul 14 with 1753 viewsbluelagos

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 09:30 - Jul 14 by JakeITFC

Am not going to pretend I like I wearing one - but have used a bandana which I find preferable.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 09:34 - Jul 14 with 1753 viewssparks

Perhaps- though I hate the feel of anything around my ears. Have enough trouble getting glasses that I can wear for 10 minutes without wanting to throw them across the room.

My issue is not an altogether rational one- and I recognise that. Its not the discomfort- its the look and idea of covering one's mouth as if ashamed or embarrassed. I just instinctively don't like it. Dunno why. I always cringe when players or officials at football do that copvering their mouth thing to have a desperately important secret conversation. Really hate it. A psychologist could probably have a field day.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 10:40 - Jul 14 with 1703 viewsstonojnr

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 00:40 - Jul 14 by DebsyAngel

Thanks for understanding. That is the problem with invisible illnesses - nobody can see them and judge you because you don't "look ill". They cannot see the panic and turmoil going on inside my mind and body. And masks can be dangerous - some medical advisers have stated this - they can cause pleurisy and I had that last year and it took 10 months to recover from.

I have been doing my best, distancing from people, following arrows in supermarkets, using hand gel, wipes on baskets and handrails/escalators etc and wiping everything down once I am home. People cannot even follow "keep left" signs in town, just walking where they like.

Well i'm asthmatic myself,so totally understand, and am feeling all the same stress/anxiety about this which actually makes it more likely now I'll have an asthma attack because increased stress is a known asthma trigger

and asthma kills people,its not like they show on the TV or movies where you just puff a blue inhaler & everything's fine,it kills 3 people per day on average in the UK.

So people saying oh what's the problem it's just a bit of cloth, well the problem is,if you have a medical condition that impacts your breathing,wearing any face covering makes you feel like you are suffocating, if you feel like you are suffocating it can trigger an asthma attack which can kill you. So yes it IS a big problem actually.

I've avoided public transport lately as I wanted to avoid the inevitable conflict and people judging me, I cant avoid shopping for food and will just have to put up with it, but inevitably there will be conflict,some security guard, bored pcso or busy body member of the public will no doubt lecture me, publically shame me,get needlessly aggressive about it.

but I will not return to the high street whilst being made to feel like I'm an outcast or a pariah because I cant breath properly.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 10:56 - Jul 14 with 1687 viewsDebsyAngel

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 10:40 - Jul 14 by stonojnr

Well i'm asthmatic myself,so totally understand, and am feeling all the same stress/anxiety about this which actually makes it more likely now I'll have an asthma attack because increased stress is a known asthma trigger

and asthma kills people,its not like they show on the TV or movies where you just puff a blue inhaler & everything's fine,it kills 3 people per day on average in the UK.

So people saying oh what's the problem it's just a bit of cloth, well the problem is,if you have a medical condition that impacts your breathing,wearing any face covering makes you feel like you are suffocating, if you feel like you are suffocating it can trigger an asthma attack which can kill you. So yes it IS a big problem actually.

I've avoided public transport lately as I wanted to avoid the inevitable conflict and people judging me, I cant avoid shopping for food and will just have to put up with it, but inevitably there will be conflict,some security guard, bored pcso or busy body member of the public will no doubt lecture me, publically shame me,get needlessly aggressive about it.

but I will not return to the high street whilst being made to feel like I'm an outcast or a pariah because I cant breath properly.

Describes how I feel to a tee - I did wear a face covering on the bus about 3 weeks ago to town (so I could go to get my exemption card ironically as well as normal shopping) and just wearing it for 10-15 minutes was enough, I got off the bus and nearly fainted and was disorientated and frightened for the rest of my time up there. The man at the bus station for the card was really nice, he said he didn;t want to see any evidence I had asthma, but I did bring all my inhalers with me. But how do you prove anxiety to someone? I only go out once a week to town and force myself to as my mental health and anxiety have deteriorated dramatically over the last few weeks. Also some people could go and get exemption cards without any proof of genuinely needing one. I only use the bus once a week (I tend to walk home, but can't walk there and back as it leaves me exhausted and I have chronic fatigue).

We were told to go out more, to exercise, to get back to normal - this is not normal. I feel the rest of the year is over, and next year. I do not trust that a miraculous vaccine will ever come either. I cannot even go to my Doctor re my mental health as all they do is recommend antidepressants that I cannot take or a counsellor (which just does not work for me). I doubt too that I will ever get seen by ENT about my lump in my nose that makes it difficult to breathe too.

I just feel like giving up. May as well cancel my Season Ticket as I cannot see me getting to the matches if have to be suffocated through the whole experience. I know a lot of people think I am a hypocondriac - but a lot of my conditions have been worsened by anxiety and stress.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 10:59 - Jul 14 with 1674 viewsDebsyAngel

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 06:20 - Jul 14 by GlasgowBlue

Several disability support orgs are offering them. At a price.

https://shop.disabilityhorizons.com/products/ppe/mask-exemption-travel-card-lany

https://hiddendisabilitiesstore.com/hidden-disabilities-face-covering.html

Although this does seem open to abuse as it appears anyone can by one.

Thanks for the links but why should anyone pay to prove they have an illness? Taking the pee in my opinion.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 11:02 - Jul 14 with 1661 viewsgiant_stow

I seem to have a disability which will stop me being able to wear the normal mask.

This may be linked to having too many fingers, but the mask straps always fall off my ears - on further investigation, I seem to have unsually flacid ear lobes.

Can anyone reccomend a mask which ties around the back of the head please?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 11:29 - Jul 14 with 1629 viewsrgp1

Two questions , first of all banks are explicit that you must not cover your face whilst on the premises and secondly what constitutes a face covering? Is it a crash helmet or a gas mask for example. Could you walk into a shop with a stocking over your head? After all it is technically a face covering.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 11:48 - Jul 14 with 1598 viewsWeWereZombies

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 10:59 - Jul 14 by DebsyAngel

Thanks for the links but why should anyone pay to prove they have an illness? Taking the pee in my opinion.

Would one of the clear plastic visor helmets be acceptable to you, although I am not sure if they count as an allowable face covering for public transport and shops?

[edit] There is a Scottish Government webpage that says, 'yes, visors are good too':

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-phase-3-staying-safe-and-
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 11:51]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 11:50 - Jul 14 with 1590 viewsDebsyAngel

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 11:48 - Jul 14 by WeWereZombies

Would one of the clear plastic visor helmets be acceptable to you, although I am not sure if they count as an allowable face covering for public transport and shops?

[edit] There is a Scottish Government webpage that says, 'yes, visors are good too':

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-phase-3-staying-safe-and-
[Post edited 14 Jul 2020 11:51]

Don;t think these count as face coverings - they are more for shop staff etc.
Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 11:54 - Jul 14 with 1577 viewsWeWereZombies

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 11:50 - Jul 14 by DebsyAngel

Don;t think these count as face coverings - they are more for shop staff etc.

Oh well, you could always move to Scotland. For sure, the weather is awful but we do still have a functioning health service...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 12:21 - Jul 14 with 1538 viewsSwansea_Blue

Incredibly, it seems like the anti-mask movement is a bit of a thing. I can't get my head around the selfishness of such a stance. The only caveat is I don't know how widespread it is things on Twitter seems to blow up larger than life, but #NoMasks is currently trending.

The state of some of these . Even calling for riots because we are being required to be considerate and try to limit the spread of the virus.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 12:24 - Jul 14 with 1520 viewsGaryCooper

Masks required from 24th July in shops or a £100 fine on 11:02 - Jul 14 by giant_stow

I seem to have a disability which will stop me being able to wear the normal mask.

This may be linked to having too many fingers, but the mask straps always fall off my ears - on further investigation, I seem to have unsually flacid ear lobes.

Can anyone reccomend a mask which ties around the back of the head please?

Just go full Jesse James.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024