Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... 01:03 - Aug 20 with 8468 viewsBlueStreak

But since getting home I really cannot even begin to understand the odds of this happening.

Driving back from Southampton this morning, and looked left out the window and saw my dad (who works for a shipping company) driving a lorry in the next lane to me.

Now dad works all over the country on a 4 day on 4 day off pattern so wasnt even sure he was working but to be on the same meter of road at exactly the same time over two hours away from Ipswich has freaked me out a bit haha. Add to that I don't normally pay too much attention to who is driving lorries just makes it more odd.

Anyone else had really strange chance meeting like this before?
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 01:31 - Aug 20 with 5229 viewshoppy

Not quite the same but similarly strange.

In November 2018, I had picked my son up in London, and taken him up to Telford for the weekend for a model making exhibition he wanted to go to.

We were just driving along the motorway about 20 miles from Telford, and I spotted a grey Peugeot 307 SW with the registration number KP07OLV. I had recently changed mine at the time, but my old car was an identical grey Peugeot 307 SW with the registration number KP07OLX, which I had bought back in 2011 from Foxhall Garage in Ipswich. That seemed quite strange, as presumably they would've both been registered at the same dealers originally.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 01:36 - Aug 20 with 5226 viewsjeera

Again, not the same thing but whilst we're here:

I was wandering down a street in some small place in Australia with a mate of mine when we bumped into some customers of his from Haverhill market.

One occasion a cousin of mine was on holiday somewhere in the Canaries with his wife, they went on a day boat excursion and found themselves sitting down next to the Town & Car Parks Manager [from Bury St Ed] and his wife.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 01:39 - Aug 20 with 5229 viewsfloridablue

Early 70s, Lloret De Mar beach in Spain. went up to a bar to order a drink and the girl sitting there was someone I was at school with a couple of years earlier. Regrets to this day I didn't try a little harder!
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 02:33 - Aug 20 with 5186 viewsacj

Totally different, but another one I reckon would’ve had some crazy long odds.

Was in the middle of one of the big blocos at Rio carnaval in 2017 (about 40000 people at basically a samba street party) and I bumped into a girl from Turkey that I’d met in Amsterdam a couple of years earlier. Her and her mates partied with us for the rest of the week, was a right laugh!

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 03:01 - Aug 20 with 5156 viewsIllinoisblue

I don’t know how exactly but that’s clearly a sign we’re going to get promoted

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 07:39 - Aug 20 with 4896 viewsPlums

Pulled into a public car park in one of the North Devon villages to discover our next door neighbours in the next parking bay. Was a very odd couple of minutes.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 07:56 - Aug 20 with 4837 viewsjeera

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 07:39 - Aug 20 by Plums

Pulled into a public car park in one of the North Devon villages to discover our next door neighbours in the next parking bay. Was a very odd couple of minutes.

Bloomin' dogging sites eh?

You never know what you're gonna get.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 08:19 - Aug 20 with 4799 viewstomo

Me and the wife were on holiday in Thailand. One evening we were walking back to our little hut when we decided to stop at a little beach bar for a night cap. We were soon joined by an Irish couple who were doing similar to us, one turned to two and so on and so forth. We spent the night drinking with them, got pished, added each other on Facebook etc and then said our goodbyes, stumbled home and that was that. A year later we were in Portugal for a wedding, we went into town for some dinner, on the way home we decide to stop for a night cap at a little bar. 10 minutes later who walks past and joins us? The exact same Irish couple we met in Thailand! All four of us couldn’t get our head round it and I still think about how mad it was years later.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 23:38]
Login to get fewer ads

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 08:23 - Aug 20 with 4789 viewsHerbivore

Not remotely the same league but I had an amusing coincidence at Starbucks at Ipswich Station. I'd ordered my drink and went to wait for it and there was one other guy waiting. Within a minute the lady called "[Redacted] black Americano" so I went up and took my drink and noticed the other guy giving me a little bit of a look. As I was adding a sugar to my coffee I heard another "[Redacted] black Americano" and it was then we both realised we had the same name and had ordered the same drink and I'd nicked his coffee.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 08:25 - Aug 20 with 4784 viewsStokieBlue

I was sitting on a tube during the day and a woman I worked with 10 years previously in Maidenhead sat down next to me.

Thought it was fairly random at the time given the number of tube trains per day, number of seats and the fact neither of us worked in London when we worked together but not on the level of some stories already posted.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... (n/t) on 08:32 - Aug 20 with 4763 viewsITFC_Forever

Similar to yours, my Dad was also a lorry driver and I once drove past him in the opposite direction on the M1 near Nottingham.

My father in law is the worst (best?) for bumping in to people he knows - happens on almost every holiday!

Have also seen bro-in-law's mate while on holiday.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 8:33]

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 08:35 - Aug 20 with 4746 viewsKeno

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 08:25 - Aug 20 by StokieBlue

I was sitting on a tube during the day and a woman I worked with 10 years previously in Maidenhead sat down next to me.

Thought it was fairly random at the time given the number of tube trains per day, number of seats and the fact neither of us worked in London when we worked together but not on the level of some stories already posted.

SB

My family originate on one of the Channel Islands (the nice one not the posh one that twinned with Norfolk). The first time I went there I was trying to find an old family house to no avail but did end up playing with a spaniel on the local beach. Half hour later at a beach a couple of miles away I ended up playing with the same spaniel, who was obviously out on its own.

I took the number off the dog's tag and called the owner. In the course of conversation we realised the owner is something like my 3rd cousin and as a result of playing with spaniel I am now in contact with the surviving local relatives

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 08:41 - Aug 20 with 4733 viewsitfcjoe

I was in Sydney and my Mrs was watching some street performers so i wandered down to watch the big screen with the cricket on for 5 minutes, sat down and as I did a girl sat down next to me who was a friend from 6th form - she lived in Melbourne and had was visiting a friend for 2 days......very strange on the other side of the world.

Have bumped into random mates at train stations and things like that but doing so at connecting stations is a bit less rare even if me and a mate were going to Liverpool from Southampton and he was going cross country from Wales and meeting at a Midlands one.....or another on the way to an away game as he is making way back from a night out

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 09:12 - Aug 20 with 4650 viewsJ2BLUE

Coming up with a convincing story as to how that goat and myself ended up in that empty field at the same time in the middle of the night is a matter for my lawyer.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 09:18 - Aug 20 with 4616 viewsbluelagos

When I was a kid, my dad used to tell me how before I was born, he and my mum got married in the same church, on the same day, with the same priest.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:01 - Aug 20 with 4540 viewsBlueBadger

As the late Sir Terry Pratchett used to say, million to one chances crop up 9 times out of 10.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:04 - Aug 20 with 4526 viewsKeno

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 09:18 - Aug 20 by bluelagos

When I was a kid, my dad used to tell me how before I was born, he and my mum got married in the same church, on the same day, with the same priest.

Your dad married a priest?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:08 - Aug 20 with 4514 viewsPhilTWTD

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 08:35 - Aug 20 by Keno

My family originate on one of the Channel Islands (the nice one not the posh one that twinned with Norfolk). The first time I went there I was trying to find an old family house to no avail but did end up playing with a spaniel on the local beach. Half hour later at a beach a couple of miles away I ended up playing with the same spaniel, who was obviously out on its own.

I took the number off the dog's tag and called the owner. In the course of conversation we realised the owner is something like my 3rd cousin and as a result of playing with spaniel I am now in contact with the surviving local relatives

Downvoted for Jerseyist comment.
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:11 - Aug 20 with 4499 viewsKeno

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:08 - Aug 20 by PhilTWTD

Downvoted for Jerseyist comment.

Ha!!

I never mentioned the place!!

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:14 - Aug 20 with 4497 viewsPhilTWTD

I had once got on to the M25 and saw the chap who lived in the flat below me's distinctive camper van on the other carriageway.

A friend of mine was in Prague just as Eastern Europe opened up and someone tapped him on the shoulder and said, "Excuse me, do you work in the camera shop in Woodbridge?", which, of course, he did.

I did read a piece one about people bumping into friends on holiday like that and it suggested that it probably shouldn't be viewed as a surprise given people tend to gravitate to certain places on their holidays.
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:17 - Aug 20 with 4483 viewsSparky85

Went last minute for a long weekend away in Prague back in 03. Was walking through the main square and there were a few guys throwing a tennis ball around. As was walking closer, I noticed a very distinct hair style and thought it looked remarkably similar to one of my school mates. Got closer and it was actually him. Both had the same idea and got the exact same deal to go out there.
Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:20 - Aug 20 with 4467 viewshoppy

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 09:12 - Aug 20 by J2BLUE

Coming up with a convincing story as to how that goat and myself ended up in that empty field at the same time in the middle of the night is a matter for my lawyer.

The second time more difficult than the first, I can only imagine?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:25 - Aug 20 with 4455 viewsclive_baker

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:17 - Aug 20 by Sparky85

Went last minute for a long weekend away in Prague back in 03. Was walking through the main square and there were a few guys throwing a tennis ball around. As was walking closer, I noticed a very distinct hair style and thought it looked remarkably similar to one of my school mates. Got closer and it was actually him. Both had the same idea and got the exact same deal to go out there.

Didn't you work in the camera shop in Woodbridge?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:34 - Aug 20 with 4427 viewsJ2BLUE

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:20 - Aug 20 by hoppy

The second time more difficult than the first, I can only imagine?

For me or the goat?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Something happened today which I thought was unreal at the time... on 10:38 - Aug 20 with 4425 viewstractorboy1978

I remember as kids us pulling up outside our Eurocamp caravan in Florence, at a site which must of had 1,000 odd caravans on, and the kids in the caravan opposite us were out playing football in their ITFC shirts. Turned out they lived 2 minutes around the corner from us in Ipswich.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024