Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hmmmm 00:02 - Nov 19 with 16664 viewsPhilTWTD

Another thread which deteriorated into name-calling, sniping, winding-up and stirring up of old arguments. Not a particularly pleasant board to run at present. Perhaps a lighter mood tomorrow?
Hmmmm on 14:41 - Nov 19 with 1034 viewssolomon

Hmmmm on 08:43 - Nov 19 by PhilTWTD

"A fringe element have been allowed to deny and rubbish it’s even existed".

I've never seen anyone argue that on here. Posters have argued that the issue was exaggerated or used for political purposes but they have said the problem existed and have condemned it.

I realise the sensitivity of threads such as these - and I'm also referring to similar discussions re Islamaphobia - but have always felt they are better played out rather than removed as a matter of course.

I would hope the discussion of the issues have led to a greater understanding of the issues both for those involved and those just reading.

Ultimately it is a forum for debate, so it’s probably inevitable that there are going to be a variety of opinions not all of which are going to be palatable and it’s not a perfect science - what I deem beyond the pale may not be seen as that by some posters or vice versa. Equally, anyone posting overtly antisemitic, Islamophobic or otherwise racist posts wouldn’t be welcome.

For the record, I am aware of a number of Jewish posters - or posters with Jewish family connections - who have taken part in these debates and I have liaised with them while they have been ongoing.

Appreciate your response, can’t say I agree with you 100% but I have to respect your opinion as hopefully you do mine.
Hmmmm on 14:43 - Nov 19 with 1027 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Hmmmm on 14:39 - Nov 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

But your opinion is wrong, and thus offensive. No-one has posted that antisemitism doesn't exist.

‘Opinions’ can’t be wrong. Only facts can.

Solomon is giving his opinion on a subject and I think he’s obviously well within his right to give his take on it without being told his opinion is meaningless because he’s not a regular poster.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Hmmmm on 14:43 - Nov 19 with 1022 viewsSpruceMoose

Hmmmm on 14:41 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

The theory that older and regular posters hold more weight on here than newbies and younger posters has been around by some on here for many years since even before I joint. It’s ridiculous frankly.

Just judge a post by its honesty and a poster by their consistency over time. Nothing else can be done. That's how reputations are formed.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Hmmmm on 14:43 - Nov 19 with 1021 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Hmmmm on 14:41 - Nov 19 by Keno

Shut it Junior

Hmmmm on 14:45 - Nov 19 with 1016 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Hmmmm on 14:43 - Nov 19 by SpruceMoose

Just judge a post by its honesty and a poster by their consistency over time. Nothing else can be done. That's how reputations are formed.

Agreed*

So Solomon not being a regular poster shouldn’t be held against him when giving his opinion.

*We’re agreeing a lot lately.. what happened

Hmmmm on 14:46 - Nov 19 with 1006 viewsSpruceMoose

Hmmmm on 14:43 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Solomon is giving his opinion on a subject and I think he’s obviously well within his right to give his take on it without being told his opinion is meaningless because he’s not a regular poster.

Come on now. Of course opinions can be wrong.

If my opinion is that unicorns live in Chantry Park then that's obviously a wrong opinion. If I hold the opinion that Black people are inherently inferior to other races then clearly that's wrong.

Opinions don't have some special protected status. Some opinions are fine and generally agreed upon, others are up for debate but could go either way depending on your outlook, but some opinions are just flat out wrong.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Hmmmm on 14:47 - Nov 19 with 995 viewsfooters

Hmmmm on 14:46 - Nov 19 by SpruceMoose

If my opinion is that unicorns live in Chantry Park then that's obviously a wrong opinion. If I hold the opinion that Black people are inherently inferior to other races then clearly that's wrong.

Opinions don't have some special protected status. Some opinions are fine and generally agreed upon, others are up for debate but could go either way depending on your outlook, but some opinions are just flat out wrong.

What did you think of your Barry's Tea, btw? Let's test this theory.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Hmmmm on 14:48 - Nov 19 with 988 viewsStokieBlue

Hmmmm on 14:45 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Agreed*

So Solomon not being a regular poster shouldn’t be held against him when giving his opinion.

Rutting season finished at the end of October so he's in a better mood now.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Hmmmm on 14:49 - Nov 19 with 980 viewsSpruceMoose

Hmmmm on 14:45 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Agreed*

Whoops. I just ruined it by disagreeing with you!

I think we are fine so long as we avoid certain subjects! Other stuff we seem to see eye to eye on. I'd still let you buy me a pint at the end of the day!

Hmmmm on 14:49 - Nov 19 with 977 viewsHerbivore

Hmmmm on 14:41 - Nov 19 by Keno

Shut it Junior

Posting during school hours as well. Outrageous.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hmmmm on 14:49 - Nov 19 with 974 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Hmmmm on 14:43 - Nov 19 by The_Romford_Blue

Of course opinion's can be wrong. It's my opinion that you are entirely made of cheese.

His is wrong, unless you want to link me to where someone has said antisemitism doesn't exist.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Hmmmm on 14:50 - Nov 19 with 965 viewsSpruceMoose

Hmmmm on 14:48 - Nov 19 by StokieBlue

Rutting season finished at the end of October so he's in a better mood now.

SB

Not really. Got to work out how to pay for all the calves I made now.

Hmmmm on 14:51 - Nov 19 with 952 viewsSpruceMoose

Hmmmm on 14:47 - Nov 19 by footers

What did you think of your Barry's Tea, btw? Let's test this theory.

It was more Barry from Eastenders than it was Barry White.

Hmmmm on 14:54 - Nov 19 with 942 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hmmmm on 14:21 - Nov 19 by giant_stow

Are the up arrowers to this post really agreeing that Solomon should be banned?! Or that his post was "a disgusting cowardly display"?! Or that newer posters should affectively be seen and not heard?
[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 14:30]

The blatant lying bit.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Hmmmm on 15:02 - Nov 19 with 917 viewssolomon

Hmmmm on 14:39 - Nov 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

But your opinion is wrong, and thus offensive. No-one has posted that antisemitism doesn't exist.

I’m sorry you disagree, as before you are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.
Hmmmm on 15:09 - Nov 19 with 882 viewssolomon

Hmmmm on 08:02 - Nov 19 by GlasgowBlue

If I had a pound for every time blatant antisemitism was excused away by the same three posters as being part of a smear campaign by the Israel lobby/Blairites or that duel loyalty tropes were dismissed as legitimate criticism of the Israeli government then I wouldn’t have needed to waste my time working as a gammon faced timeshare conman in an ill fitting suit.

Being on here is a lot more intimidating than I ever could have imagined , thank god the real world is a bit more enlightened, which in itself is a bit sad when you look at it that way.
Hmmmm on 15:12 - Nov 19 with 863 viewsRyorry

Hmmmm on 14:49 - Nov 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

Of course opinion's can be wrong. It's my opinion that you are entirely made of cheese.

His is wrong, unless you want to link me to where someone has said antisemitism doesn't exist.

I think there's a distinction to be made between 'opinions' and 'feelings' - individuals' perceptions of and feelings about situations are going to vary with their experiences and backgrounds - and with that old thing of "don't judge someone till you've walked a mile in their shoes", I don't think anyone can say that such feelings are wrong.

Not having a pop at you or anyone else, just a general point.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Hmmmm on 15:14 - Nov 19 with 865 viewsm14_blue

Hmmmm on 15:09 - Nov 19 by solomon

Being on here is a lot more intimidating than I ever could have imagined , thank god the real world is a bit more enlightened, which in itself is a bit sad when you look at it that way.

Oh come on.

I agree with much of what you’ve said but seriously, intimidating?? This is TWTD for goodness sake, it’s basically mumsnet without the nasty period stuff.
Hmmmm on 15:15 - Nov 19 with 866 viewsSpruceMoose

Hmmmm on 15:12 - Nov 19 by Ryorry

I think there's a distinction to be made between 'opinions' and 'feelings' - individuals' perceptions of and feelings about situations are going to vary with their experiences and backgrounds - and with that old thing of "don't judge someone till you've walked a mile in their shoes", I don't think anyone can say that such feelings are wrong.

Not having a pop at you or anyone else, just a general point.

That's fine, so long as people remember that Facts > Feelings. It's when people are dogmatic in holding on to their opinion and not accepting reality in the face of mounting evidence that's the issue.

Hmmmm on 15:15 - Nov 19 with 865 viewsChutney

Hmmmm on 06:52 - Nov 19 by jeera

This is a blatant lie and you should be banned for even suggesting it.

What a disgusting cowardly display.

Edit: "Every time".

According to your own profile you didn't join this forum until May this year.

You are not in a position to say what has and hasn't been said in the past on here.

[Post edited 19 Nov 2020 6:58]

You act like you own the place, calling out who should be banned. How long someone has been posting on here is of no relevance. Twice in a few days you're trying to act superior based on the fact you're a 'long term poster' or whatever phrase you used. Newsflash, nobody gives a sh1t.

Solomon has as much right to an opinion as anyone, besides you have no idea how long someone has been lurking prior to being a poster.

This sort of attitude does nothing to attracting new posters to contribute, and the irony is it's the self proclaimed long term posters like you who are the most poisonous. Perhaps YOU should be banned given your a common denominator for all trouble on here?
Hmmmm on 15:16 - Nov 19 with 859 viewsfooters

Hmmmm on 15:09 - Nov 19 by solomon

Yeah, it's like Stormfront. Especially the stuff about 'best biscuits' or 'why Paul Lambert is useless'.... Oh wait, maybe that's why.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Hmmmm on 15:18 - Nov 19 with 856 viewsChurchman

Hmmmm on 14:46 - Nov 19 by SpruceMoose

Why is your opinion that unicorns live in Chantry Park wrong? Just because you haven’t seen them doesn’t mean they are not there ...

On a serious note, I don’t disagree with you at all (apart from the unicorns). I’m sure there are people out there that think Adolf Hitler was a ‘good bloke’, but all available evidence says he wasn’t.

But there is a grey area with opinions in that there is a danger that if one holds firm views on certain things, then then a contrary view can be perceived as wrong when it might not be. That is the value of debate and being open minded - and avoiding personal abuse.
Hmmmm on 15:22 - Nov 19 with 847 viewsSpruceMoose

Hmmmm on 15:15 - Nov 19 by Chutney

You act like you own the place, calling out who should be banned. How long someone has been posting on here is of no relevance. Twice in a few days you're trying to act superior based on the fact you're a 'long term poster' or whatever phrase you used. Newsflash, nobody gives a sh1t.

Solomon has as much right to an opinion as anyone, besides you have no idea how long someone has been lurking prior to being a poster.

This sort of attitude does nothing to attracting new posters to contribute, and the irony is it's the self proclaimed long term posters like you who are the most poisonous. Perhaps YOU should be banned given your a common denominator for all trouble on here?

This is what I meant about judging a poster by their consistency and honesty. Chutney has neither of those qualities, and is just using this subject to have a pop at another poster he's obsessed with (which I also mentioned earlier as a problem on here).

He cries about abuse... But posts plenty of it himself. You only have to look at the first two pages of his post history to see. I'm sure if you could be arsed to delve back even further you'd find even more. It's just crocodile tears.

Fred Perry are going to stop making..... by Chutney 28 Sep 2020 18:47
Not ‘bless’, you’re just pig ignorant.

Probably, yes. (n/t) by Chutney 12 Sep 2020 23:01
Well that’s helpful. Idiot

Blub. (n/t) by Chutney 6 Sep 2020 21:11
Its probably morons like you that are the reason

Hmmmm on 15:27 - Nov 19 with 834 viewsSpruceMoose

Hmmmm on 15:18 - Nov 19 by Churchman

Why is your opinion that unicorns live in Chantry Park wrong? Just because you haven’t seen them doesn’t mean they are not there ...

On a serious note, I don’t disagree with you at all (apart from the unicorns). I’m sure there are people out there that think Adolf Hitler was a ‘good bloke’, but all available evidence says he wasn’t.

But there is a grey area with opinions in that there is a danger that if one holds firm views on certain things, then then a contrary view can be perceived as wrong when it might not be. That is the value of debate and being open minded - and avoiding personal abuse.

On the way home from the pub ond night I took a shortcut through the park and I'm pretty sure I saw Big Foot. Could have just been Sitters though I suppose.

Hmmmm on 15:28 - Nov 19 with 829 viewsStokieBlue

Hmmmm on 15:27 - Nov 19 by SpruceMoose

On the way home from the pub ond night I took a shortcut through the park and I'm pretty sure I saw Big Foot. Could have just been Sitters though I suppose.

Did he have any shoes on?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024