Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This may not be very popular 21:39 - Mar 3 with 7702 viewsnodge_blue

But I thought that was a great email from Evans.

He set out how he continues to financially prop up the club even through covid. He has appointed a new manager. He's doing stuff to the ground. And he won't sell us out to anybody for the sake of it.

fair play to him.

Yes he's failed on the pitch and that is huge. But with this manager in place hopefully we can success regardless of whether its Evans or this American consortium behind it.

And lets not overlook that the consortium, whilst fresh and keen, would by the sounds of it be loading us up with debt that has to be paid back.

So Im not disappointed or pleased if the take over happens. The important think was getting rid of Lambert.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2021 21:39]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

This may not be very popular on 07:44 - Mar 4 with 1337 viewsSimonds92

This may not be very popular on 22:36 - Mar 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

It's a terrible written lengthy bit of prose that does not paint him in a particularly good light. The edits are visible in my browser. A slightly darker font - the first one is on "ment" on the end of "assignment" at the beginning of the sixth line of the lengthy sentence that makes up the second paragraph.

It comes across as the ramblings of a frustrated man. Hidden in it might be things he wants to communicate such as PL was wrong over investment in the squad and the training ground. Despite us falling out, we have decided to go with the official line that we have parted on good terms.

There is justification that as a league 1 club we need to be run as a league 1 club. I would argue that some of the investment in player wages would have been far better spent running the club far more like a Championship club. Run it like a league 1 one and guess where it is likely to be. His phrase "fiddling while Rome burns" is a complete misquote. The fiddling is about playing music and ignoring reality not about tinkering with things that do need changing.

If this is the way he communicates, it is little surprise there has been an issue.

"There were some points raised by Paul that I will take on board and look at when the time is right but while it pains me to say it - and hopefully not for long - we are a League One club playing football in the middle of a pandemic and we have to operate accordingly. The time is not right to fiddle while Rome burns."

Surely in this context the analogy is perfectly reasonable and makes sense? He cant ignore what's going on in the world right now and continue to fund and expand what is a hugely bloated and expensive first team. Suggests PL was after even more despite imo us having the best squad in the division.
This may not be very popular on 07:47 - Mar 4 with 1330 viewsWeWereZombies

This may not be very popular on 05:46 - Mar 4 by Ryorry

After carefully re-reading it in the cold light of early morning, I'd say that the second half of it referring to a potential takeover is just very carefully worded to cover all eventualities bearing in mind a NDA - e.g. "I have never looked to sell the Club. That is still the case." doesn't mean he's now changed his mind or doesn't want to sell - it's literally him saying he himself hasn't *actively* looked to sell - it still allows for the possibility that he's been approached by potential buyer/s who made the first move.

Some of the rest of it has a 'fin de siecle' tone about it, including the "end of'" thing - almost as tho now he knows he's (probably) about to depart, he can afford to relax somewhat & relish having a bit of a tongue-in-cheek wind-up at us. Imho.

But did he have to mention Lambert at all? I am thinking about this the morning after and wondering if the email was just the first presentation for the defence when the case for unfair dismissal goes to court...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

This may not be very popular on 07:47 - Mar 4 with 1330 viewsfooters

This may not be very popular on 07:44 - Mar 4 by wkj

Perhaps we should start a thread with Phil's name in it asking him for the latest info.

Good idea, me old fruit! Surely that will draw a line under this once and for all.

OI! PHIL!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This may not be very popular on 07:48 - Mar 4 with 1327 viewswkj

This may not be very popular on 07:44 - Mar 4 by Simonds92

"There were some points raised by Paul that I will take on board and look at when the time is right but while it pains me to say it - and hopefully not for long - we are a League One club playing football in the middle of a pandemic and we have to operate accordingly. The time is not right to fiddle while Rome burns."

Surely in this context the analogy is perfectly reasonable and makes sense? He cant ignore what's going on in the world right now and continue to fund and expand what is a hugely bloated and expensive first team. Suggests PL was after even more despite imo us having the best squad in the division.

What irritated me about that statement is there are almost another 100 teams going through the same pandemic as us, yet have not rewarded failure or been slow to change when the regime is not fit for purpose.

He always does this too, as if ITFC are the only team going through struggles - Pandemic, FFP, this, that, etc etc
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 7:52]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

This may not be very popular on 07:51 - Mar 4 with 1318 viewsWeWereZombies

This may not be very popular on 07:48 - Mar 4 by wkj

What irritated me about that statement is there are almost another 100 teams going through the same pandemic as us, yet have not rewarded failure or been slow to change when the regime is not fit for purpose.

He always does this too, as if ITFC are the only team going through struggles - Pandemic, FFP, this, that, etc etc
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 7:52]

I think it is 72 EFL clubs and twenty Premiership clubs these days...

This may not be very popular on 07:52 - Mar 4 with 1313 viewswkj

This may not be very popular on 07:51 - Mar 4 by WeWereZombies

I think it is 72 EFL clubs and twenty Premiership clubs these days...

I rounded up for effect ...

Crybaby

This may not be very popular on 07:54 - Mar 4 with 1309 viewsWeWereZombies

This may not be very popular on 07:42 - Mar 4 by footers

Never thought I'd see 'end of' in an official ITFC statement.

It read like one of those non-league chairman's drunken rants and was clearly written by more than one person.

Anyway, we're at the last knockings now, so let's hope the deal is concluded soon and we can push on at last.

He is trying to be matey, probably last mingled with football supporters fifteen years ago and thinks we still use terms like that. Sorted?

This may not be very popular on 07:58 - Mar 4 with 1299 viewsMetal_Hacker

Sorry but I couldn't think otherwise than the email/message being an absolute waste of a read as per usual marketing cr4p from our club

Don't need to look any further than LON's statement ref a new manager the other day,then fast forward 24 hours - enough said

It's all spin - the club think they're good at it but guess what......

Poll: If it were one or the other

Login to get fewer ads

This may not be very popular on 08:00 - Mar 4 with 1294 viewsfooters

This may not be very popular on 07:54 - Mar 4 by WeWereZombies

He is trying to be matey, probably last mingled with football supporters fifteen years ago and thinks we still use terms like that. Sorted?

He could always make it up to us by getting a round in...

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This may not be very popular on 08:03 - Mar 4 with 1286 viewswkj

This may not be very popular on 08:00 - Mar 4 by footers

He could always make it up to us by getting a round in...

Case of wine from New Zealand and I'll be back on side.

Crybaby

This may not be very popular on 08:09 - Mar 4 with 1282 viewsDanTheMan

This may not be very popular on 07:09 - Mar 4 by dissboy2

is that still avalable to view somewhere?

Well it took me a good twenty minutes but this is the one I remember.

Well, I like him by textbackup 25 Apr 2018 12:30
Like what he had to say, seems to know his stuff, and he hasn’t bullsht at all.

That’s all I, we, have wanted for years, there’s nothing there we didn’t know, but he’s spoken.

I’m back on board

UPPA FCKIN TOWEN

I've now read through that thread, it's pretty funny given what was to come.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 8:15]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

This may not be very popular on 08:14 - Mar 4 with 1258 viewstractorboy1978

This may not be very popular on 07:44 - Mar 4 by Simonds92

You could argue now is the perfect time to be 'fiddling' as he puts it. Events over the past 12 months have been terrible for all clubs and it'll be those that adapt (fiddle) and are innovative and forward thinking that will come out of this best and on the front foot. That's never been us under Evans.
This may not be very popular on 08:16 - Mar 4 with 1249 viewsportmanking

Fair play to him? For what? Presiding over our darkest decade and our lowest ebb? Creating a damaging disconnect between club and community that could see the club lose a generation of fans? Being an aloof custodian resulting in a wasteful scattergun approach? For telling our own fans we should be 'careful what we wished for' when football is all about dreaming big?

No, sorry. I'm not having it. Do one Evans and let us begin a new chapter, good and proper.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 8:22]
This may not be very popular on 08:22 - Mar 4 with 1229 viewsBlueBadger

It's no wonder really that people ended up eating out of Lambert's hand for so long, given how easy large sections of the fanbase continue to fall for guff like this.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This may not be very popular on 08:39 - Mar 4 with 1207 viewsSteve_M

This may not be very popular on 08:09 - Mar 4 by DanTheMan

Well it took me a good twenty minutes but this is the one I remember.

Well, I like him by textbackup 25 Apr 2018 12:30
Like what he had to say, seems to know his stuff, and he hasn’t bullsht at all.

That’s all I, we, have wanted for years, there’s nothing there we didn’t know, but he’s spoken.

I’m back on board

UPPA FCKIN TOWEN

I've now read through that thread, it's pretty funny given what was to come.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 8:15]

It was quite strange how well received that was and similarly this current statement is rather disingenuous , not least in it's reference to the other shareholders whom Evans has ignored for 13 years.

It's a clear holding statement, maybe with the intent of flushing out alternate bids but not much more than that.

Fans really should consider Me's success or failure in wider terms than just how well the current first team manager is doing, and the same will go for any new owners.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This may not be very popular on 08:42 - Mar 4 with 1197 viewsMullet

This may not be very popular on 08:39 - Mar 4 by Steve_M

It was quite strange how well received that was and similarly this current statement is rather disingenuous , not least in it's reference to the other shareholders whom Evans has ignored for 13 years.

It's a clear holding statement, maybe with the intent of flushing out alternate bids but not much more than that.

Fans really should consider Me's success or failure in wider terms than just how well the current first team manager is doing, and the same will go for any new owners.

Was weird at the time, but looking back now.... Jeebus.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

This may not be very popular on 08:47 - Mar 4 with 1179 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Wow! Is it that easy to fool you? Really? One of my favourite news presenters in the USA said of Trump years ago "Look at what he does, not at what he says."

We got relegated in 2018-19. How much cash do you think he put into ITFC that season? Was it the much vaunted £6m? Nope, it was in fact, £585,000. In fact, in the last 5 financial years, covering the seasons 2014-2019, he loaned ITFC £10m, i.e. an average of £2m per season. Not a sum to be sniffed at, but far short of what almost every Ipswich fan believes.

However, it is the use of that money that gets me. Sure, it is his money, his club....he can do what he wants, but he does not use the money wisely, and as a result, we are in the mess that we find ourselves, struggling to get out of League One.

To give you a few examples of how he has used money unwisely: 5 year contract; letting numerous players walk for nothing; or not cashing in at the right moment because an effective system is not in place to research and quickly sign replacements; never employing an experienced CEO, let alone a CEO with relevant football experience; allowing Hurst to rip the heart out of the side, which would never happen if he had a modern football structure in place.

Let's hope that Paul Cook can work some miracles, eh?
Phil, can we have some clarity on the sums ME has put in? on 08:55 - Mar 4 with 1159 viewsHighgateBlue

This may not be very popular on 08:47 - Mar 4 by FrankfurtBlue

Wow! Is it that easy to fool you? Really? One of my favourite news presenters in the USA said of Trump years ago "Look at what he does, not at what he says."

We got relegated in 2018-19. How much cash do you think he put into ITFC that season? Was it the much vaunted £6m? Nope, it was in fact, £585,000. In fact, in the last 5 financial years, covering the seasons 2014-2019, he loaned ITFC £10m, i.e. an average of £2m per season. Not a sum to be sniffed at, but far short of what almost every Ipswich fan believes.

However, it is the use of that money that gets me. Sure, it is his money, his club....he can do what he wants, but he does not use the money wisely, and as a result, we are in the mess that we find ourselves, struggling to get out of League One.

To give you a few examples of how he has used money unwisely: 5 year contract; letting numerous players walk for nothing; or not cashing in at the right moment because an effective system is not in place to research and quickly sign replacements; never employing an experienced CEO, let alone a CEO with relevant football experience; allowing Hurst to rip the heart out of the side, which would never happen if he had a modern football structure in place.

Let's hope that Paul Cook can work some miracles, eh?

People are entitled to their own opinions, but they're not entitled to their own facts.

Town fans are entitled to be pro-Evans or anti-Evans, and it seems to me that a major factor in forming that opinion is whether he has put millions into the Club in order to keep it afloat. When a genuine fan is basically called a fool (or at least that he/she has been "fooled"), based on assertions that ME only put in 10% of the £6m figure that I for one understood he had been putting in each year, it seems to me that some sort of objective truth needs to be asserted. Does ME put in (circa) £6m each year, including the 2018-19 period referred to or not?

I'm just seeking to establish facts. If the figure is £585,000, then we'll know. But if Evans' financial input is being discredited just because his managerial appointments have largely been flops, then that's not something that the board should allow to go unchecked.

Further, ME said in his statement that in the last year he could not have put another penny into the squad under current rules. I haven't seen any refutation of this. But if it's true, surely the man deserves credit for putting in as much as he lawfully could at this terrible time for football finances and the wider economy that funds football.

Cheers, and COYB.
This may not be very popular on 08:59 - Mar 4 with 1147 viewsChurchman

This may not be very popular on 08:16 - Mar 4 by portmanking

Fair play to him? For what? Presiding over our darkest decade and our lowest ebb? Creating a damaging disconnect between club and community that could see the club lose a generation of fans? Being an aloof custodian resulting in a wasteful scattergun approach? For telling our own fans we should be 'careful what we wished for' when football is all about dreaming big?

No, sorry. I'm not having it. Do one Evans and let us begin a new chapter, good and proper.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 8:22]

Agree with that. It’s the reason I want to see the back of him and won’t spend money on the portfolio till he goes. The thing is that whatever words he uses, actions speak louder and he has a track record of those now. Cook is going to have to do his job hamstrung. He will never have quite enough, because mediocrity is fine. It happened that way with McCarthy.
Phil, can we have some clarity on the sums ME has put in? on 09:12 - Mar 4 with 1130 viewsWeWereZombies

Phil, can we have some clarity on the sums ME has put in? on 08:55 - Mar 4 by HighgateBlue

People are entitled to their own opinions, but they're not entitled to their own facts.

Town fans are entitled to be pro-Evans or anti-Evans, and it seems to me that a major factor in forming that opinion is whether he has put millions into the Club in order to keep it afloat. When a genuine fan is basically called a fool (or at least that he/she has been "fooled"), based on assertions that ME only put in 10% of the £6m figure that I for one understood he had been putting in each year, it seems to me that some sort of objective truth needs to be asserted. Does ME put in (circa) £6m each year, including the 2018-19 period referred to or not?

I'm just seeking to establish facts. If the figure is £585,000, then we'll know. But if Evans' financial input is being discredited just because his managerial appointments have largely been flops, then that's not something that the board should allow to go unchecked.

Further, ME said in his statement that in the last year he could not have put another penny into the squad under current rules. I haven't seen any refutation of this. But if it's true, surely the man deserves credit for putting in as much as he lawfully could at this terrible time for football finances and the wider economy that funds football.

Cheers, and COYB.

No one outside of the Marcus Evans Group, and probably very few inside it, will have a clear idea of the funds that come Ipswich Town's way each year. For sure the accounts of the club will show a sum but there will be hidden costs and hidden revenues that are either difficult to quantify at balance sheet date or for an accounting period, others will be contingent upon future events (i.e. being able to recover a debt or to service that debt at a lower cost either through internal lending within the group or waiving the interest that should accrue on a permanent or temporary basis), and if there is a way of not declaring a cost or revenue under current accounting guidelines I would imagine the instruction would be to keep mum about it.

Phil, can we have some clarity on the sums ME has put in? on 09:17 - Mar 4 with 1121 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Phil, can we have some clarity on the sums ME has put in? on 08:55 - Mar 4 by HighgateBlue

Cheers, and COYB.

Don't believe it because I write it. Check it out for yourself. The Companies House website could be helpful in that:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00315421/fili

Being fooled by something is not the same as being a fool, so please don't twist my words.
This may not be very popular on 09:19 - Mar 4 with 1113 viewschicoazul

And yet still some people fall for it every time.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This may not be very popular on 09:47 - Mar 4 with 1080 viewsSteve_M

This may not be very popular on 09:19 - Mar 4 by chicoazul

And yet still some people fall for it every time.

See also "Boris is doing the best he can."

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This may not be very popular on 09:48 - Mar 4 with 1080 viewschicoazul

This may not be very popular on 09:47 - Mar 4 by Steve_M

See also "Boris is doing the best he can."

It’s a very difficult situation!!1!1!11

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Phil, can we have some clarity on the sums ME has put in? on 09:51 - Mar 4 with 1072 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Phil, can we have some clarity on the sums ME has put in? on 09:12 - Mar 4 by WeWereZombies

No one outside of the Marcus Evans Group, and probably very few inside it, will have a clear idea of the funds that come Ipswich Town's way each year. For sure the accounts of the club will show a sum but there will be hidden costs and hidden revenues that are either difficult to quantify at balance sheet date or for an accounting period, others will be contingent upon future events (i.e. being able to recover a debt or to service that debt at a lower cost either through internal lending within the group or waiving the interest that should accrue on a permanent or temporary basis), and if there is a way of not declaring a cost or revenue under current accounting guidelines I would imagine the instruction would be to keep mum about it.

What they are legally capable of manipulating will be limited. The order of the loans declared in the cashflow statements will not be greatly different from what actually happened.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024