Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Build the team around Alan Judge? 15:17 - Mar 7 with 2646 viewsEl_Fenix

In an earlier thread, Nthsuffolkblue posed the question "Did Judge's bad news affect the performance at all?"

A related question is: "Did Judge's absence yesterday affect the performance at all?" My answer is "Yes, rather obviously". When playing in his preferred central role, Alan Judge brings guile and energy to the team, and makes other players, including James Norwood, more effective. I think that Paul Cook could build a team around Alan Judge, in a similar way to how Don Revie deployed Johnny Giles in the great Leeds teams of the late 1960's and early 1970's.

My perspective on personnel issues is influenced by the fact that professional sport franchises in the United States are notoriously unsentimental about personnel decisions. With US sensibilities, I would expect ITFC to release Luke Chambers, Cole Skuse, Freddie Sears and Emyr Hughes when their contracts expire, and Kayden Jackson and Gwion Edwards to move to other teams as soon as they can. I would expect Janoi Donacien to be offered a new contract, to be a cost-effective back up to injury-prone Kane Vincent-Young; and John Nolan to be retained as part of a midfield 'squad'.

As a manager in League One, I would consider the current goal keepers and a no-frills back four of Kenlock, Wilson, Nsiala and KVY/Donacien, to be adequate. I would drive the professional development of former academy players (e.g. Bishop, Downes, Dozzell, Lankester, Wolfenden, Dobra and El Mizouni) using an up-or-out approach. Assuming that some of them flourished, I would have the majority of a squad in place. Specific needs could be met during transfer windows. I would not sign more than two or three loan players.

It will be very interesting to see how Paul Cook proceeds.

ITFC shall rise like a phoenix from the ashes of its long decline!

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:23 - Mar 7 with 2330 viewsWD19

Have you been drinking?

Alan Judge is 32 and has had bad injuries. We can’t be building anything around him with the future in mind.

....and we did not lose yesterday because he was absent. Yesterday was an extension of the Accrington performance, but unfortunately Gillingham had 11 players.
Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:25 - Mar 7 with 2320 viewsGlasgowBlue

Judge is too old to build a team around. That said, he has been our best player of 2021 and we really missed him yesterday.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:27 - Mar 7 with 2305 viewsHerbivore

No.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:28 - Mar 7 with 2292 viewsCoco

he was satan reborn literally 5 games ago.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:49 - Mar 7 with 2247 viewsEl_Fenix

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:23 - Mar 7 by WD19

Have you been drinking?

Alan Judge is 32 and has had bad injuries. We can’t be building anything around him with the future in mind.

....and we did not lose yesterday because he was absent. Yesterday was an extension of the Accrington performance, but unfortunately Gillingham had 11 players.

He has had one terrible injury and several lesser injuries. Based on his current form, he seems to have overcome them pretty well.

We could build around him with a time horizon of two more seasons. If it was successful, we would be in the Championship and could evolve from a better foundation. I agree that Judge would not be part of a five-year plan ... but in the long run we are all dead ...

You can't say that for certain. Judge and Norwood spark each other - and after three quarters of the game, the score was tied 1-1 ...

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:50 - Mar 7 with 2237 viewsMrTown

No. Judge has had a handful of good games in 2 and half years. Release at the end of year.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:51 - Mar 7 with 2235 viewsAce_High1

Should be released along with half of the squad we have. Too much average squad filler dross for my liking.

Play the kids with a few of our other home grown players like Bish and a couple of quality additions.
Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:53 - Mar 7 with 2223 viewsipswichtillidie

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:50 - Mar 7 by MrTown

No. Judge has had a handful of good games in 2 and half years. Release at the end of year.

Judge has had a handful of good games over 2 years! He’s too old and not got the legs. Probably been our poorest player this season over the first 20 games and his goal/assist out put for his position is dreadful. Improved of late but I certainly wouldn’t be building a team around him.

Gav

Login to get fewer ads

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:56 - Mar 7 with 2215 viewsEl_Fenix

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:50 - Mar 7 by MrTown

His good games have come when he is not being played out of position, which for the most part has been recently.

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 16:32 - Mar 7 with 2131 viewsHerbivore

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:56 - Mar 7 by El_Fenix

His good games have come when he is not being played out of position, which for the most part has been recently.

He's been played in position loads and even when nominally starting out of position he plays where he likes anyway.

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 16:35 - Mar 7 with 2113 viewsGlasgowBlue

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:28 - Mar 7 by Coco

he was satan reborn literally 5 games ago.

Considerably more than 5.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 16:38 - Mar 7 with 2102 viewsclive_baker

Not sure I would go that far but he should certainly be in it. Judge, Downes + 1 of Bishop or Dozzell for me if we’re going with a 3 in the middle.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 16:41 - Mar 7 with 2098 viewshomer_123

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:49 - Mar 7 by El_Fenix

He has had one terrible injury and several lesser injuries. Based on his current form, he seems to have overcome them pretty well.

We could build around him with a time horizon of two more seasons. If it was successful, we would be in the Championship and could evolve from a better foundation. I agree that Judge would not be part of a five-year plan ... but in the long run we are all dead ...

You can't say that for certain. Judge and Norwood spark each other - and after three quarters of the game, the score was tied 1-1 ...

Nothing to do with injury, he's had a couple of decent games in recent weeks and you think that constitues building a team around him?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 16:41 - Mar 7 with 2099 viewsGuthrum

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:51 - Mar 7 by Ace_High1

Should be released along with half of the squad we have. Too much average squad filler dross for my liking.

Play the kids with a few of our other home grown players like Bish and a couple of quality additions.

We'd end up in League Two, at best. Especially as we don't have money for 'quality additions'.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 16:52 - Mar 7 with 2075 viewsChurchman

Been musing about Judge today. The decision is that he is old, injury prone and over the hill. Good performances are infrequent and he is part of a losing culture that has embraced mediocrity at the club. Say goodbye.

An interesting one is KVY. 9 appearances in two seasons assuming he doesn’t return before May is ridiculous. Employment of a proper medical and fitness team is really needed (unlikely under dear leader Evans, of course) so that he can be assessed. Shame as he looked really promising.
Build the team around Alan Judge? on 17:10 - Mar 7 with 2039 viewsKeaneish

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 16:38 - Mar 7 by clive_baker

Not sure I would go that far but he should certainly be in it. Judge, Downes + 1 of Bishop or Dozzell for me if we’re going with a 3 in the middle.

Agreed. Three of those 4 although i'd rather we played a 4-3-1-2 and used full backs with plenty of width. This way we could get all 4 of them in or Parrott and it would put Jackson and Norwood back up front together; it opens up better options with our strength. Let's face it, we don't have any wide players.

Strength in depth of full backs required given we barely have the type required either.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 17:13 - Mar 7 with 2034 viewsGeorge03

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 15:49 - Mar 7 by El_Fenix

I think the year we went down the team was going to be built around him. With Norwood in front him in a 4-3-3 formation. However, his broken arm, rumours of moving to QPR and Jackson’s pre season form prevented it from happening.
Build the team around Alan Judge? on 17:53 - Mar 7 with 1971 viewsEl_Fenix

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 17:13 - Mar 7 by George03

I think the year we went down the team was going to be built around him. With Norwood in front him in a 4-3-3 formation. However, his broken arm, rumours of moving to QPR and Jackson’s pre season form prevented it from happening.

Agreed.

I don't see anyone else in the squad who can contribute his combination of guile, energy and experience. He has been playing much better for the past eight weeks or so, and in my opinion he makes Norwood more effective.

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 18:24 - Mar 7 with 1910 viewsBluedandy

How about we build a team around Alan Carr?
Build the team around Alan Judge? on 19:22 - Mar 7 with 1743 viewsGarv

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 17:53 - Mar 7 by El_Fenix

Agreed.

I don't see anyone else in the squad who can contribute his combination of guile, energy and experience. He has been playing much better for the past eight weeks or so, and in my opinion he makes Norwood more effective.

This is what a lot of people fail to see. Instead they pick up the fact that he likes to roam and get annoyed by it, despite the fact he's doing it because no one else is as prepared as he is to get on the ball and try and make something happen. Even during his poorer periods this season he was never as bad as made out.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 19:54 - Mar 7 with 1686 viewsITFC_96

Saw the title and genuinely thought it was a joke.
Build the team around Alan Judge? on 20:02 - Mar 7 with 1668 viewsHerbivore

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 19:22 - Mar 7 by Garv

This is what a lot of people fail to see. Instead they pick up the fact that he likes to roam and get annoyed by it, despite the fact he's doing it because no one else is as prepared as he is to get on the ball and try and make something happen. Even during his poorer periods this season he was never as bad as made out.

It's not the roaming that's the issue per se, it's more that he hasn't been very good for the 2 and a bit years that he's been here. Nowhere near enough goals or assists for a player who is given the licence he is given to play without much positional discipline. He's had a decent few weeks lately and that's great, but it's not enough to warrant building a team around him.

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 20:13 - Mar 7 with 1649 viewsSpruceMoose

I have no idea what I just read.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 22:35 - Mar 7 with 1551 viewsArnieM

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 20:02 - Mar 7 by Herbivore

It's not the roaming that's the issue per se, it's more that he hasn't been very good for the 2 and a bit years that he's been here. Nowhere near enough goals or assists for a player who is given the licence he is given to play without much positional discipline. He's had a decent few weeks lately and that's great, but it's not enough to warrant building a team around him.

Suffice to say , ole Judgy ain’t “ one for the future”!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 22:41 - Mar 7 with 1539 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Build the team around Alan Judge? on 20:13 - Mar 7 by SpruceMoose

I have no idea what I just read.

I have no idea how the leap was made from my comment.

I meant that other players were affected by the news.

Yes, Judge has had a few better matches but we do not rely on one player (except perhaps Norwood at the moment as few others seem to be able to score).

Building the team around Judge is not the future. Indeed, building it around any one player never is. Didn't Magic intend to build the team around Bowditch at one point?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024