Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
dozzell 21:38 - Apr 28 with 12448 viewsHarryB

what would everyones thoughts be if this happened?
dozzell on 11:50 - Apr 29 with 2526 viewsDyland

dozzell on 11:35 - Apr 29 by GlasgowBlue

You still haven’t told me what he brings to the party. Of course he’s a good footballer. He’s playing at a professional level. But what does he do? Other than tug somebody’s shirt when they run past him.

Is he a defensive or holding midfielder? As I said, he can’t tackle.
It’s he a deep midfielder who picks the ball up from the back four and sprays passes around the pitch? One decent pass in 5 IMO.
Is he box to box like Norris? How many times this season has he picked the ball up in our half, run at the opposition and had a 20 yard shot that has bothered the goalkeeper?

I just wish somebody could tell me what he does well consistently on the pitch.

He has vision and is a very good passer. The best we have. He needs better players around him to shine. I agree he is inconsistent, if he weren't he'd have left Town for a big fee already.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

dozzell on 12:12 - Apr 29 with 2492 viewsDurovigutum

I suspect he needs a fresh start away from the shadow of his father. He is easily a championship level player. Dyer has probably had a part in this, remember he and Mogga are still mates.
dozzell on 12:12 - Apr 29 with 2491 viewsKeaneish

dozzell on 11:50 - Apr 29 by Dyland

He has vision and is a very good passer. The best we have. He needs better players around him to shine. I agree he is inconsistent, if he weren't he'd have left Town for a big fee already.

"I think we’re soft, I think we lack character and we lack big players". Words from Paul Cook. He also commented about our inability to win second balls and that teams come to Portman Road and 'dominate the ball'. These are all direct comments about missing attributes from our midfield that are detrimental to our side.

You can have all the passing vision in the world but if you don't have attributes that stand up to the above critique, you won't progress or fulfil your potential.

I disagree with the idea that you need "better players to shine". Better players shine irrelevant of their team mates. Better players carry inferior players. We're dressing Dozzell up as a player we hope he becomes, not the player he's shown to be. He's 21 and this is League One. If he can't shine now, where will he shine?
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 12:25]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

dozzell on 12:26 - Apr 29 with 2470 viewsTheSelkirk

dozzell on 21:48 - Apr 28 by Mullet

Yes, he's that crap he's moving up a league.

I'd be interested to know which games Blackburn have watched where he demonstrated his capability to step up.
dozzell on 12:35 - Apr 29 with 2456 viewsSwansea_Blue

dozzell on 11:50 - Apr 29 by maccyd9

Even he himself said recently he needs to get better and more influential at both ends of the pitch.

If he did a really sound defensive job you'd overlook the lack of ouput going forward. I do get that he's a relatively defensive midfielder but you'd expect more. Even if you take it back it step, he doesn't pass through the thirds in to the forward areas. The majority of his passing (hence is high completion rate) is sideways and back wards.

It's not that I don't rate him technically, I just don't feel like he influences games and will never have that in his game.

He's daft if he thinks his role is to make things happen further up the pitch (if he's still to be used as the deep lying midfielder). That just doesn't happen in that role.

Again, the things you're criticising him for are not necessarily his primary role. Sure, it'd be nice if he was as good as Pirlo and could ping 45 yard passes between the lines and in behind teams. And he probably does have the best vision in the team for such passes. yet the bread and butter in that role are short passes.

What he's doing doesn't seem to be the problem for me. It's just that he needs to get better and more consistent at it. And it can take time - this is only his breakthrough season. It took Matt Grimes down here at Swansea another couple of years to establish himself, for example. So i still reckon Dozza's got room to improve and is worth persevering with.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

dozzell on 12:37 - Apr 29 with 2454 viewsjayessess

dozzell on 12:12 - Apr 29 by Keaneish

"I think we’re soft, I think we lack character and we lack big players". Words from Paul Cook. He also commented about our inability to win second balls and that teams come to Portman Road and 'dominate the ball'. These are all direct comments about missing attributes from our midfield that are detrimental to our side.

You can have all the passing vision in the world but if you don't have attributes that stand up to the above critique, you won't progress or fulfil your potential.

I disagree with the idea that you need "better players to shine". Better players shine irrelevant of their team mates. Better players carry inferior players. We're dressing Dozzell up as a player we hope he becomes, not the player he's shown to be. He's 21 and this is League One. If he can't shine now, where will he shine?

Other words from Paul Cook:

"But I think Andre Dozzell, for example, has been top class in the last two games. He’s played really, really well."

"Andre Dozzell is a smashing young player, he's going to be a very good player"

"I thought we had a couple of great performances tonight. I thought Andre Dozzell was excellent."

He's one of half a dozen players he's actually praised by name.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

dozzell on 12:43 - Apr 29 with 2441 viewssouthnorfolkblue

dozzell on 22:34 - Apr 28 by itfcjoe

Would be a real shame to see him go, but when I see the state of some of the responses about it especially on Twitter I think he’d be best of out of here and somewhere else he may be appreciated.

Our fanbase is so negative, so anti all our players, no wonder they struggle here

Because they have no reason to be negative do they!

Worst team in 50 years and you want to have a pop at the fans.

Poll: Our final position

dozzell on 12:45 - Apr 29 with 2433 viewsKeaneish

dozzell on 12:37 - Apr 29 by jayessess

Other words from Paul Cook:

"But I think Andre Dozzell, for example, has been top class in the last two games. He’s played really, really well."

"Andre Dozzell is a smashing young player, he's going to be a very good player"

"I thought we had a couple of great performances tonight. I thought Andre Dozzell was excellent."

He's one of half a dozen players he's actually praised by name.

And? Did you think that? Do you think Dozzell has been top class in the last two games at any point this season? I'd say that was Cook man managing and trying and approach to get something out of him rather than saying it actually is.

Login to get fewer ads

dozzell on 13:02 - Apr 29 with 2418 viewsjayessess

dozzell on 12:45 - Apr 29 by Keaneish

And? Did you think that? Do you think Dozzell has been top class in the last two games at any point this season? I'd say that was Cook man managing and trying and approach to get something out of him rather than saying it actually is.

I think Cook means what he says and in general Dozzell's been the best of a bad lot for us this season, certainly better than any other centre midfielder.

Everyone seems happy enough to take Cook's word for it when he's hammering the players, but disregard anything positive he says. Seems like a weird approach to me.

i don't disagree with a lot of that (n/t) on 13:25 - Apr 29 with 2405 viewsDyland

dozzell on 12:12 - Apr 29 by Keaneish

dozzell on 13:26 - Apr 29 with 2402 viewsSpruceMoose

dozzell on 22:33 - Apr 28 by MrTown

I couldn’t care less if Barcelona come in for him, we watch him every game, he doesn’t do enough, not effective enough, too lightweight, need better than him.

The fact that you have the balls to claim you're some kind of Real Footballing Man while you simultaneously post utter tripe like this is hysterical.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

dozzell on 13:40 - Apr 29 with 2392 viewsGavTWTD

When Paul Cook came here I really hope he had aready a list of players that he was looking forward to working with and could coach into the players we hope they could become, and Dozzell and Bishop would definately be in that list.

Dozzell has underperformed this season along with everyone else, and he's added a stupid fouling element to his play too. We know what his talents are, but he needs to demonstrate them. Perhaps Cook can get them out of him, or maybe he's given up on him. If he should go I will be disappointed because HOOOO, but will trust Cook's judgement.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

dozzell on 13:42 - Apr 29 with 2368 viewschrismakin

dozzell on 13:40 - Apr 29 by GavTWTD

When Paul Cook came here I really hope he had aready a list of players that he was looking forward to working with and could coach into the players we hope they could become, and Dozzell and Bishop would definately be in that list.

Dozzell has underperformed this season along with everyone else, and he's added a stupid fouling element to his play too. We know what his talents are, but he needs to demonstrate them. Perhaps Cook can get them out of him, or maybe he's given up on him. If he should go I will be disappointed because HOOOO, but will trust Cook's judgement.

The biggest problem for me is I still dont know how to describe what sort of player Dozzell is...

Is he attacking. Holding. Defensive. Floating?

What is he.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

dozzell on 13:47 - Apr 29 with 2361 viewsPhilTWTD

They've been after him for several windows and, as I've reported previously, have been keeping a close watch. I'm sure they'll make their interest known, assuming Tony Mowbray is still manager, which isn't a fair accompli from what I've been told.
dozzell on 14:10 - Apr 29 with 2302 viewshaynes_toe1

dozzell on 13:42 - Apr 29 by chrismakin

The biggest problem for me is I still dont know how to describe what sort of player Dozzell is...

Is he attacking. Holding. Defensive. Floating?

What is he.

Because he's technically good on the ball he can play the deeper play-making role but needs the right partner alongside him, or possibly even a three-man midfield. He could act as the pivot receiving from defenders and driving into the first 1/3rd space.

He could also play as a Number 10.

The reason you can't desribe him is because Lambert never gave him a dedicated position and role to play for a full duration of time and Cook has turned the entire team shape into even more of a mess than it was, so Dozzell is currently likely confused himself about what is expected from him.
dozzell on 14:42 - Apr 29 with 2265 viewsRadioOrwell

Needing good players around you is a really, really lame summary for a player.
Plenty of players would stand out if they were surrounded by dross.
In fact ANY decent player would.
dozzell on 14:44 - Apr 29 with 2256 viewsDyland

dozzell on 14:42 - Apr 29 by RadioOrwell

Needing good players around you is a really, really lame summary for a player.
Plenty of players would stand out if they were surrounded by dross.
In fact ANY decent player would.

Yep, and Andre does stand out.

But yeh, fans on a message board know better than pro managers :)

I agree he is inconsistent and does loads of crap stuff during games as well as the good stuff.

dozzell on 15:10 - Apr 29 with 2208 viewsKeaneish

dozzell on 13:02 - Apr 29 by jayessess

I think Cook means what he says and in general Dozzell's been the best of a bad lot for us this season, certainly better than any other centre midfielder.

Everyone seems happy enough to take Cook's word for it when he's hammering the players, but disregard anything positive he says. Seems like a weird approach to me.

That’s a very simplistic view of psychology. Too simplistic in my view. The fact that Dozzell has been the best of a bad bunch doesn’t make his performances, “top class” does it? I think these comments point more toward it being about man management than effusive praise based on merit.

dozzell on 15:37 - Apr 29 with 2174 viewsHullblue

dozzell on 14:44 - Apr 29 by Dyland

Yep, and Andre does stand out.

But yeh, fans on a message board know better than pro managers :)

I agree he is inconsistent and does loads of crap stuff during games as well as the good stuff.

I wonder whether the fact he stands out works against him sometimes.

He's always got time on the ball - and usually gets more touches than our other players - both signs of class.

But I think this also makes it easier for fans to notice what he does and doesn't do Vs a player who just kicks and heads it in a rush all game.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

dozzell on 15:43 - Apr 29 with 2159 viewsAlanG296

dozzell on 22:34 - Apr 28 by itfcjoe

Would be a real shame to see him go, but when I see the state of some of the responses about it especially on Twitter I think he’d be best of out of here and somewhere else he may be appreciated.

Our fanbase is so negative, so anti all our players, no wonder they struggle here

That's it, blame the fans for players not performing to an acceptable level, even when there haven't been any in the ground for all but one game in over a year!
dozzell on 15:53 - Apr 29 with 2136 viewsKeaneish

dozzell on 13:40 - Apr 29 by GavTWTD

Yeah agreed. Look at the potential of Downes, Bishop and Dozzell as a trio. Each gifted in their own right with very complimentary skill sets. If those three were performing to their ability, we'd be unrecognisable from the performances we've seen.

If we have to lose one to freshen it up, you'd say attribute wise, Downes is the more replaceable. However, application of that potential over the last 80 + games is a different story. Dozzell is the shoe in to leave should that be deemed necessary and the only one we'd make cash on right now.

dozzell on 16:01 - Apr 29 with 2112 viewsGlasgowBlue

Sorry but I just don't see it. Nolan offers more to the team imo.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

dozzell on 16:15 - Apr 29 with 2099 viewshype313

dozzell on 16:01 - Apr 29 by GlasgowBlue

Sorry but I just don't see it. Nolan offers more to the team imo.

I've been thinking about the comparisons with Andre and Kieron, both played 80 plus games at this age (although KD left at 21)

And as much as Kieron had Magic, Holland, Jamma alongside him and Andre doesn't have anyone remotely at that caliber, I still think Keiron in this team would be shining bright regardless of the lack of quality in the side.

I'd love to see Andre push on and become a top player, but from what I've seen, there just isn't much evidence that this will be the case. Things could change obviously with a fresh impetus and new faces etc, but managers will want more than someone sitting deep pinging the occasional champagne pass.

FWIW I actually think he's more impactful in a number ten role.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

dozzell on 16:29 - Apr 29 with 2057 viewstractorboy1978

dozzell on 16:15 - Apr 29 by hype313

I've been thinking about the comparisons with Andre and Kieron, both played 80 plus games at this age (although KD left at 21)

And as much as Kieron had Magic, Holland, Jamma alongside him and Andre doesn't have anyone remotely at that caliber, I still think Keiron in this team would be shining bright regardless of the lack of quality in the side.

I'd love to see Andre push on and become a top player, but from what I've seen, there just isn't much evidence that this will be the case. Things could change obviously with a fresh impetus and new faces etc, but managers will want more than someone sitting deep pinging the occasional champagne pass.

FWIW I actually think he's more impactful in a number ten role.

He's not in the same league as Dyer, but Kieron is the best player our academy has produced since the Robson era so it is not really a fair comparison.
dozzell on 16:39 - Apr 29 with 2039 viewsjayessess

dozzell on 15:10 - Apr 29 by Keaneish

That’s a very simplistic view of psychology. Too simplistic in my view. The fact that Dozzell has been the best of a bad bunch doesn’t make his performances, “top class” does it? I think these comments point more toward it being about man management than effusive praise based on merit.

Deciding Cook's comments are honest appraisals or not according to whether you agree with them is psychology too, isn't it?

I'm not sure there's so much method to Cook's comments on players. Half the time he seems to be speaking in spite of himself. The praise for Dozzell came after he'd more or less declared the season over and done with, after the "demolition man" comments. If he's intending to get rid of him asap what's the point of man managing him at that point?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024