Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... 15:27 - Jul 7 with 18435 viewsITFCBlues

Why are we bothering with the academy? Seems pointless if you're letting your best players walk for peanuts.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 13:37 - Jul 8 with 1770 viewstractorboy1978

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 13:20 - Jul 8 by itfcjoe

We aren't signing on enormous money at the moment, big for L1 but that is small for the Championship - so we will likely hit a financial ceiling at some point.

Brentford model must be a bit under threat due to Brexit - there has been some really ruthless domestic recruitment from Cat 1 clubs this summer as they can't get players in from continent - how Brentford get on from here is interesting - I can't imagine any of their signings in recent years would meet GBE requirements

It will be interesting. People underestimate just how advanced Brentford's model is. It's a proprietary data model that they invest heavily in and they very, very rarely sign a dud. You can't just replicate it and close your academy.

I can't remember who said it or when but there is some quote about having to employ near on 100 scouts to be able to compete with it.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 13:39]
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 13:57 - Jul 8 with 1734 viewsMrTown

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 13:32 - Jul 8 by itfcjoe

Most haven't let them walk though!

This is more at younger ages, i.e. those U16 going full time this summer

We haven't let anyone walk. The player chose to walk.

He was offered terms, terms we thought were suitable and reasonable for him. He chose not to sign.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 13:58]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 15:58 - Jul 8 with 1664 viewsHARRY10

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 13:37 - Jul 8 by tractorboy1978

It will be interesting. People underestimate just how advanced Brentford's model is. It's a proprietary data model that they invest heavily in and they very, very rarely sign a dud. You can't just replicate it and close your academy.

I can't remember who said it or when but there is some quote about having to employ near on 100 scouts to be able to compete with it.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 13:39]

Brentford closed their acadamy because of their location which meant they were competing with much bigger clubs in that area.

At the time, it was a large amnount of their income.

The data myth is also extremely misleading. You can count and number crunch mumbo jumbo until the cows come home, but there are still the more important factors that have to be factored in.

Much is players attitude and aptitude. How many of ours, never mind elsewhere, have shown promise only to not make it. Often due to not having the commitment required. And no vacuous gobbledegook can identify that.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:02 - Jul 8 with 1660 viewstractorboy1978

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 15:58 - Jul 8 by HARRY10

Brentford closed their acadamy because of their location which meant they were competing with much bigger clubs in that area.

The data myth is also extremely misleading. You can count and number crunch mumbo jumbo until the cows come home, but there are still the more important factors that have to be factored in.

Much is players attitude and aptitude. How many of ours, never mind elsewhere, have shown promise only to not make it. Often due to not having the commitment required. And no vacuous gobbledegook can identify that.

As I said, they very, very rarely make a mistake so their 'mumbo jumbo' way of approaching recruitment must work.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:12 - Jul 8 with 1641 viewsHARRY10

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:02 - Jul 8 by tractorboy1978

As I said, they very, very rarely make a mistake so their 'mumbo jumbo' way of approaching recruitment must work.

I presume you have a list of every player they have signed since they closed their academy, and what they have dome since

I await the list....
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:13 - Jul 8 with 1640 viewsRadioOrwell

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 15:58 - Jul 8 by HARRY10

It would be nice to see a flow chart of 'Investment in Academy V Returns from Academy'
And by returns I mean anything resembling sell on fee or great performances on the pitch.

I really don't know but I'd say we are in deficit.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:17 - Jul 8 with 1628 viewsHARRY10

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:13 - Jul 8 by RadioOrwell

It would be nice to see a flow chart of 'Investment in Academy V Returns from Academy'
And by returns I mean anything resembling sell on fee or great performances on the pitch.

I really don't know but I'd say we are in deficit.

That is a fault with how Evans ran the club

and there are many other areas of the club that have suffered similarly
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:42 - Jul 8 with 1604 viewstractorboy1978

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:12 - Jul 8 by HARRY10

I presume you have a list of every player they have signed since they closed their academy, and what they have dome since

I await the list....

Taking players signed for over £1m:

2020/21 - Toney - 30+ goals and could sell now for 5 times what they paid for him

2019/20 - Jenson, Jansson, Norgaard, Raya, Pinnock, Mbuemo - all played majority of their games this season in a promotion winning side. 2 of those are now in the Danish squad that we played yesterday. All bar Jansson would sell for more than was paid for them.

2018/19 - Konsa, sold at a massive profit to Villa and now a PL regular. Benrahma, sold at a £20m+ profit to West Ham. Jeanvier, 60 appearances in two seasons and sold for similar fee to what they paid

2017/18 - Watkins, sold at a £20m+ profit to Villa, PL regular and in the England squad. Maupay, sold at a £20m+ profit to Brighton, PL regular. Dalsgaard, 150 appearances in 4 seasons and regular in side that got promoted this season.

I cannot be arsed to go further back, but they don't make expensive mistakes.
Login to get fewer ads

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:51 - Jul 8 with 1578 viewsHARRY10

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:42 - Jul 8 by tractorboy1978

Taking players signed for over £1m:

2020/21 - Toney - 30+ goals and could sell now for 5 times what they paid for him

2019/20 - Jenson, Jansson, Norgaard, Raya, Pinnock, Mbuemo - all played majority of their games this season in a promotion winning side. 2 of those are now in the Danish squad that we played yesterday. All bar Jansson would sell for more than was paid for them.

2018/19 - Konsa, sold at a massive profit to Villa and now a PL regular. Benrahma, sold at a £20m+ profit to West Ham. Jeanvier, 60 appearances in two seasons and sold for similar fee to what they paid

2017/18 - Watkins, sold at a £20m+ profit to Villa, PL regular and in the England squad. Maupay, sold at a £20m+ profit to Brighton, PL regular. Dalsgaard, 150 appearances in 4 seasons and regular in side that got promoted this season.

I cannot be arsed to go further back, but they don't make expensive mistakes.

So a very selective list, that makes no mention of any coaching

The players are simply signed for little or nothing then ....whooosh.... they are sold for millions

Try having a look at what Crystal Palace are now doing, what the scum spent on upgrading their training facilities and recognise that every player you list has come through an academy, along with coaching

.....or are you going to tell me that Brentford have given up on coaching as well.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:59 - Jul 8 with 1558 viewstractorboy1978

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:51 - Jul 8 by HARRY10

So a very selective list, that makes no mention of any coaching

The players are simply signed for little or nothing then ....whooosh.... they are sold for millions

Try having a look at what Crystal Palace are now doing, what the scum spent on upgrading their training facilities and recognise that every player you list has come through an academy, along with coaching

.....or are you going to tell me that Brentford have given up on coaching as well.

I've never said coaching isn't important, I don't really know what argument you are trying to pick. I was highlighting their recruitment model is very good (which it is), nothing more, nothing less.

But on a side note, Brentford do get their young players out on decent loans too which is a big thing and something we've largely been terrible at for a long time.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 17:00]
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 17:01 - Jul 8 with 1546 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:59 - Jul 8 by tractorboy1978

I've never said coaching isn't important, I don't really know what argument you are trying to pick. I was highlighting their recruitment model is very good (which it is), nothing more, nothing less.

But on a side note, Brentford do get their young players out on decent loans too which is a big thing and something we've largely been terrible at for a long time.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 17:00]

Guys, what is it you are are actuallly arguing about, it's almost like you're both agreeing with each other without realising.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 17:01]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 00:30 - Jul 9 with 1416 viewstimothyeo

I'm pleased to see another day has gone by and no confirmation that Gibbs has gone to them. I really hope the club have sat him down and tried to persuade him - at least to avoid the inevitable PR disaster of him being successful at Norwich.

I maintain from my earlier post that with the infrastructure they now have, and their record on improving young players, if they're interested in Gibbs we definitely should be doing absolutely everything to keep him - they're likely a better judge of young talent than anyone at our club right now - and actually, the likes of Klug seem to rate him as one of the most talented also.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 09:10 - Jul 14 with 1216 viewstimothyeo

Unless i've missed something, he's still here, right?
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 09:16 - Jul 14 with 1203 viewsPhilTWTD

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 09:10 - Jul 14 by timothyeo

Unless i've missed something, he's still here, right?

He's left here but not joined anyone else yet.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 09:17 - Jul 14 with 1199 viewsabracaDOBRA_

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 09:16 - Jul 14 by PhilTWTD

He's left here but not joined anyone else yet.

Norwich still looking likely?
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 09:23 - Jul 14 with 1180 viewsPhilTWTD

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 09:17 - Jul 14 by abracaDOBRA_

Not heard anything new since last week. Someone I spoke to wasn't ruling out him potentially coming back here, but as it stood then I think it wasn't hugely likely.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 09:34 - Jul 14 with 1149 viewsabracaDOBRA_

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 09:23 - Jul 14 by PhilTWTD

Not heard anything new since last week. Someone I spoke to wasn't ruling out him potentially coming back here, but as it stood then I think it wasn't hugely likely.

I can just about deal with him going, but not to Norwich
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 09:35 - Jul 14 with 1149 viewsdirtyboy

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 09:23 - Jul 14 by PhilTWTD

I do wonder if Gibbs is now seeing the level of intent at this club and maybe, if we do get Crooks and perhaps Lewis Gibson he may be thinking about coming back if the offer remains.

Just a thought...
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 12:11 - Jul 14 with 1031 viewsPhilTWTD

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 09:17 - Jul 14 by abracaDOBRA_

It is basically done:

Gibbs Set For Norwich Subject to Compensation Agreement 14th Jul 2021 12:06
TWTD understands former Blues youngster Liam Gibbs’s move to Norwich City will be confirmed once the clubs have agreed compensation. 61

Just waiting for the clubs to agree compensation. Long-term contract sorted with the Canaries.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 12:13 - Jul 14 with 1012 viewsabracaDOBRA_

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 12:11 - Jul 14 by PhilTWTD

It is basically done:

TWTD understands former Blues youngster Liam Gibbs’s move to Norwich City will be confirmed once the clubs have agreed compensation. 61

Just waiting for the clubs to agree compensation. Long-term contract sorted with the Canaries.

Damn. Disappointed with club and Gibbs.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 12:14 - Jul 14 with 995 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 12:13 - Jul 14 by abracaDOBRA_

Damn. Disappointed with club and Gibbs.

Potentially 500k. Happy days

Plenty of others signed, committed to the club and ready to push for the first team. So take the money and move on.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 12:15 - Jul 14 with 987 viewsBLUEBEAT

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 15:35 - Jul 7 by berkstractorboy

How come we all seem to know so much but don't actually seem to have exact details on why he didn't sign. All the assumptions are aimed at blaming the club. Given the club have recognised the talent they would have done everything reasonable with the offer on the table.

Why not try backing the club rather than always trying to find a negative...

Absolutely.

We don’t know what was offered or what he wanted/demanded.

Of all clubs, though

Poll: W or W

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 12:16 - Jul 14 with 972 viewspositivity

It is basically done:

do you know if we can add a sell-on fee with this compensation or is it a flat fee?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 12:16 - Jul 14 with 973 viewshoppy

It is basically done:

Is a one-off compensation payment the end of it in a situation like this, or would we be likely to get any sell-on percentage in future?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 12:16 - Jul 14 with 968 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 12:15 - Jul 14 by BLUEBEAT

Absolutely.

We don’t know what was offered or what he wanted/demanded.

Of all clubs, though

It's because the club didnt up their offer by a few hundred.... altho the player could have signed for a few hundred less if he was that keen to stay.....

Works both ways

Good luck to him.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024