Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... 15:27 - Jul 7 with 18542 viewsITFCBlues

Why are we bothering with the academy? Seems pointless if you're letting your best players walk for peanuts.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 14:05 - Jul 14 with 2348 viewsjayessess

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 13:22 - Jul 14 by chrismakin

If your agent isnt able to counter that. You have a sht agent.

An agent can't magically give a player options they don't have. Gibbs had leverage because other clubs were in fact prepared to make a serious effort to sign him not just because his agent said so.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 14:09]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 14:08 - Jul 14 with 2331 viewsjayessess

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 13:49 - Jul 14 by pennblue

I agree entirely. If they are any good, and have other clubs after them, they are all going to want a good deal.

Yes, football is competitive, you have to fight to keep your best academy players.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 14:18 - Jul 14 with 2292 viewsmanagement

Wonder who is Gibbs agent, hope no connections to anyone established at the club, that would not look good, it's not as if Bristol City fans advised that certain individuals can be quite thorough in their business dealings.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 14:25 - Jul 14 with 2255 viewsabracaDOBRA_

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 14:18 - Jul 14 by management

Wonder who is Gibbs agent, hope no connections to anyone established at the club, that would not look good, it's not as if Bristol City fans advised that certain individuals can be quite thorough in their business dealings.

Sure I read on here his agent is the brother of the youth coach or something.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 14:36 - Jul 14 with 2218 viewsMetal_Hacker

I guess there are two strategies and I'm neither a supporter of one or the other really ,I just want what's best for the club in the most cost effective , commercially savvy and profitable way

Both strategies have an upside and a downside if this is the case

Short Term - we get the £500k in which hopefully will be used to purchase AN Other player (perhaps Crooks in this instance) who could ( all hypothetical) be the difference between promotion and staying in League 1 with consequences of missing out on additional funding from promotion itself

Long Term - quite obvious if Gibbs turns out to be the player everyone thinks he could be we miss out on a good few £'s in the future.Problem with this is that whilst we languish in League 1 any youth player's value will be minimal

Best possible route would be a medium term focus with the integration of the younger guys who are GOOD enough to step up and make some noise - problem there has the club and has Cook got the time for this type of progression ?

"We're here for promotion and quickly" seems to be the message - further profits will accrue during the supposed journey which the Americans suggest it's going to be short term

As for Gibbs going to the Scum , yeah it hurts

Poll: If it were one or the other

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 14:43 - Jul 14 with 2185 viewshype313

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 14:36 - Jul 14 by Metal_Hacker

I guess there are two strategies and I'm neither a supporter of one or the other really ,I just want what's best for the club in the most cost effective , commercially savvy and profitable way

Both strategies have an upside and a downside if this is the case

Short Term - we get the £500k in which hopefully will be used to purchase AN Other player (perhaps Crooks in this instance) who could ( all hypothetical) be the difference between promotion and staying in League 1 with consequences of missing out on additional funding from promotion itself

Long Term - quite obvious if Gibbs turns out to be the player everyone thinks he could be we miss out on a good few £'s in the future.Problem with this is that whilst we languish in League 1 any youth player's value will be minimal

Best possible route would be a medium term focus with the integration of the younger guys who are GOOD enough to step up and make some noise - problem there has the club and has Cook got the time for this type of progression ?

"We're here for promotion and quickly" seems to be the message - further profits will accrue during the supposed journey which the Americans suggest it's going to be short term

As for Gibbs going to the Scum , yeah it hurts

I just fail to see how the club wouldn't have consulted Dyer or Klug, if they had said "Seriously, this kid is the real deal, a once in a generation talent, for the sake of a few hundred quid it will work out in the long term" and not taken that on board.

Add the fact that one of Ashton's USP's is nurturing youngsters for development and a big fee later on, it goes completely against this grain.

That's how I'm consoling myself, even if I'm way off track.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 14:53 - Jul 14 with 2151 viewsMrTown

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 14:25 - Jul 14 by abracaDOBRA_

Sure I read on here his agent is the brother of the youth coach or something.

It is, it is Adam Atey's brother Sefa. Works over at SEG Football. Also represents Nico Valentine.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 15:16 - Jul 14 with 2088 viewstextbackup

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 14:53 - Jul 14 by MrTown

It is, it is Adam Atey's brother Sefa. Works over at SEG Football. Also represents Nico Valentine.

cor, that isn't good....

however, I hope if/when we ever play NCFC again, and Gibbs features, that someone lands a horrible one, about thigh height, on him

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Login to get fewer ads

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 18:28 - Jul 14 with 1847 viewstimothyeo

I would say anyone who isn't disappointed at losing a young talent to your main rivals isn't a real fan, irrespective of where people think the blame lies.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 19:24 - Jul 14 with 1732 viewsdoodah

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 09:35 - Jul 14 by dirtyboy

I do wonder if Gibbs is now seeing the level of intent at this club and maybe, if we do get Crooks and perhaps Lewis Gibson he may be thinking about coming back if the offer remains.

Just a thought...

Erm!!! Norwich have recently signed Milot Rashica and Pierre Lees-Melou, and you think the possible signings of Crooks and Gibson might encourage him to stay? Really?
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 19:39 - Jul 14 with 1696 viewstextbackup

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 19:24 - Jul 14 by doodah

Erm!!! Norwich have recently signed Milot Rashica and Pierre Lees-Melou, and you think the possible signings of Crooks and Gibson might encourage him to stay? Really?

Milot Rashica and Pierre Lees-Melou

who?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 21:19 - Jul 14 with 1590 viewsdoodah

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 19:39 - Jul 14 by textbackup

Milot Rashica and Pierre Lees-Melou

who?

Guess you could try google or even your son's FIFA21.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 21:23 - Jul 14 with 1577 viewstextbackup

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 21:19 - Jul 14 by doodah

Guess you could try google or even your son's FIFA21.

I don't have a son, and if I did I wouldn't let him play computer games.
google it is

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 21:38 - Jul 14 with 1556 viewsdoodah

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 21:23 - Jul 14 by textbackup

I don't have a son, and if I did I wouldn't let him play computer games.
google it is

look for the articles about Rashica turning down a £25m move to Vila last season, and then perhaps consider the difference between him and Crooks et al. Reality bites!

http://sportwitness.co.uk/aston-villa-milot-rashica-werder-bremen-transfer-25m/
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 21:49 - Jul 14 with 1542 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 21:38 - Jul 14 by doodah

look for the articles about Rashica turning down a £25m move to Vila last season, and then perhaps consider the difference between him and Crooks et al. Reality bites!

They also signed wolf van winkle dinkle at one point. That didnt end up well.

Its alright bringing in these players but as they found and as we found with finidi George etc they can also be painful signings.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 23:52 - Jul 14 with 1468 viewstimothyeo

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 21:49 - Jul 14 by chrismakin

They also signed wolf van winkle dinkle at one point. That didnt end up well.

Its alright bringing in these players but as they found and as we found with finidi George etc they can also be painful signings.

Whilst true, the notion that gibbs would want to stay here because of our ambition over Norwich's right now is slightly nonsensical, which was the point being made.

I also don't think Norwich would let a top rated young player leave to rivals.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 00:07 - Jul 15 with 1453 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 23:52 - Jul 14 by timothyeo

Whilst true, the notion that gibbs would want to stay here because of our ambition over Norwich's right now is slightly nonsensical, which was the point being made.

I also don't think Norwich would let a top rated young player leave to rivals.

Tbh neither set of players are going to be in the mindset of a youngster as he will barely be playing with them anytime soon. I think in this case it's a player who wasnt offered what he and his agent wanted. He wants to stay local and Norwich is the best fit for him.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 00:09 - Jul 15 with 1453 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 21:38 - Jul 14 by doodah

What's that stench? Smells like budgie...
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 10:48 - Jul 15 with 1325 viewsdoodah

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 00:09 - Jul 15 by DropCliffsNotBombs

What's that stench? Smells like budgie...

Or could just be a realist who finds it rather absurd to think any talented young player faced with a choice about staying with Town or moving to a PL club with a proven record of developing young talent, is going to be swayed by Town's current transfer policy. You don't improve any aspect of the club by burying your head in the sand. Like it or not the club up the road are streets ahead in every department at the moment and they achieved that with owners who have a fraction of the wealth of Evans (and the current lot). Local rivalry should not obscure facing up to reality, especially when that severely stunts the revival of this club.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 10:50 - Jul 15 with 1311 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 10:48 - Jul 15 by doodah

Or could just be a realist who finds it rather absurd to think any talented young player faced with a choice about staying with Town or moving to a PL club with a proven record of developing young talent, is going to be swayed by Town's current transfer policy. You don't improve any aspect of the club by burying your head in the sand. Like it or not the club up the road are streets ahead in every department at the moment and they achieved that with owners who have a fraction of the wealth of Evans (and the current lot). Local rivalry should not obscure facing up to reality, especially when that severely stunts the revival of this club.

He wasnt swayed either way

We refused to offer more money

Be left

Signed for closest club to home who offered what he wanted. Really nothing exciting here.

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 10:52 - Jul 15 with 1304 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 13:26 - Jul 14 by DanTheMan

Imagine being disappointed we've lost a highly rated young player to our rivals. Crazy!

No, it’s great that we’ve lost one of our best young players to a club in the PL, who also happen to be our local rivals. Win win win win win win winnnnnnnn

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 10:54 - Jul 15 with 1292 viewsPassionNotAnger

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 15:16 - Jul 14 by textbackup

cor, that isn't good....

however, I hope if/when we ever play NCFC again, and Gibbs features, that someone lands a horrible one, about thigh height, on him

Classy,

Wishing pain on someone because they chose to move to a Prem club rather than staying at a League 1 club on substantially less money?

He may well have made a poor career choice ultimately but no need for what you posted
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 10:54 - Jul 15 with 1292 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 10:52 - Jul 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No, it’s great that we’ve lost one of our best young players to a club in the PL, who also happen to be our local rivals. Win win win win win win winnnnnnnn

Tbh. It's more about how town get on over the next 3 years. Not where Gibbs may be in 5 years.

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 11:24 - Jul 15 with 1252 viewstimothyeo

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 10:54 - Jul 15 by chrismakin

Tbh. It's more about how town get on over the next 3 years. Not where Gibbs may be in 5 years.

How town get on over the next few years is in direct relation to how the club operates it's different policies with players. Letting one of, if not our best, young talent leave over poor handling a few hundred quid a week - to our local rivals - shows a complete disregard for the long-term future of the club.

Mick was constantly criticised for not looking longer term and now some of the same people are applauding a very short-term approach.

In all honesty getting promoted this season and most people will forget about Gibbs but there's nothing to say we couldn't still get promoted and have a bright young talent potentially a key player in our first team in a couple years.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 11:35 - Jul 15 with 1239 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 11:24 - Jul 15 by timothyeo

How town get on over the next few years is in direct relation to how the club operates it's different policies with players. Letting one of, if not our best, young talent leave over poor handling a few hundred quid a week - to our local rivals - shows a complete disregard for the long-term future of the club.

Mick was constantly criticised for not looking longer term and now some of the same people are applauding a very short-term approach.

In all honesty getting promoted this season and most people will forget about Gibbs but there's nothing to say we couldn't still get promoted and have a bright young talent potentially a key player in our first team in a couple years.

It is a long term approach tho. Rebuilding the club from top to bottom. Part of that is being careful with expenditure. That includes having a cut off when it comes to players. It's ok saying just a few hundred pounds. But it's still more than the club were willing to pay. So again. They havent let him leave. He chose to reject the deal and move on.
Weve signed 7 players on 3 year deals. Not 1 or 2 but 3.
We have also signed some youngsters on new deals. We havent closed the Academy.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024