Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... 15:27 - Jul 7 with 18431 viewsITFCBlues

Why are we bothering with the academy? Seems pointless if you're letting your best players walk for peanuts.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:42 - Jul 7 with 1301 viewsjayessess

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:39 - Jul 7 by chrismakin

Do you know what was offered then

pretty reasonable assumption it wasn't competitive, given that he's left?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:43 - Jul 7 with 1294 viewsjayessess

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:34 - Jul 7 by chrismakin

1 of many players prem clubs sign up who may or may not do anything from various clubs at various ages.

Have they just picked his name out of a hat then?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:44 - Jul 7 with 1288 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:42 - Jul 7 by jayessess

Could have been competitive yet still not what he wanted
could be the first team squad training thing that has been mentioned too etc etc
No one knows

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:47 - Jul 7 with 1271 viewsMrTown

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:42 - Jul 7 by jayessess

Evidence would suggest, for our level, we pay quite competitive wages to young lads, when you look at the number that have signed deals with us in recent years.

But there comes a point, where somebodies demands are unreasonable/unjustified, and maybe that was just the case here.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:48 - Jul 7 with 1265 viewsjayessess

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:44 - Jul 7 by chrismakin

Could have been competitive yet still not what he wanted
could be the first team squad training thing that has been mentioned too etc etc
No one knows

I mean, Phil's been pretty clear about what happened?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:48 - Jul 7 with 1263 viewsJammyDodgerrr

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:47 - Jul 7 by MrTown

Evidence would suggest, for our level, we pay quite competitive wages to young lads, when you look at the number that have signed deals with us in recent years.

But there comes a point, where somebodies demands are unreasonable/unjustified, and maybe that was just the case here.

But if we aren't willing to part with a couple of hundred quid extra a week, as Phil believes it is, to what is widely agreed to probably be our best talent coming out of the academy, we might as well not bother. It would've not been a big cost to the club - and i get not bowing to players, that's fair enough, but i think you have to make exceptions sometimes.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:50 - Jul 7 with 1245 viewstractorboy1978

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:48 - Jul 7 by jayessess

I wonder why Phil bothers sometimes because people just invent a story in their head and dogmatically stick to it.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:51 - Jul 7 with 1238 viewsjayessess

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:47 - Jul 7 by MrTown

If a player asks you to match (or even just approximate) an offer they've had elsewhere then that's not unjustified, is it?

Login to get fewer ads

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:53 - Jul 7 with 1231 viewsHARRY10

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:17 - Jul 7 by Churchman

But is it an incorrect decision? We just don’t know the facts of it.

I don’t know about you but I left more than one job in my career and never publicly said thank god I’m going. It was always I’d really like to stay, but new opportunity I can’t turn down, domestic commitments blah blah blah. Leave on as good a terms as possible, even if massaging the truth is involved. Far better than saying ‘tinpot club, I want away’.

Whose to say. The system is geared to the big boys. As a little club in a rubbish League with ageing facilities, I can understand why he’d want something better if he thinks he’s that good.

" As a little club in a rubbish League with ageing facilities, I can understand why he’d want something better if he thinks he’s that good. "

That, in a nutshell, is the blunt truth of the matter - and no endless bleating about the level of wages will change that.
If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:53 - Jul 7 with 1223 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:48 - Jul 7 by jayessess

Is Phil his agent then?

Phil has even said he's unsure why it's got to this situation.

We know we offered money, a few hundred less than wanted........... why did we stop that with a few hundred.. was it just money? did he demand first team squad inclusion?
[Post edited 7 Jul 2021 16:56]

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:55 - Jul 7 with 1210 viewsArnieM

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 15:35 - Jul 7 by homer_123

I guess there is a wider question though - maybe Cook and the team have assessed the 'actual' effectiveness of the Academy and have decided that they are not providing the right 'type' of player.

In short, Cook and the new team are having a complete clear out, why would the Academy not come under the same scrutiny?

Maybe Gibbs is one of the best we have produced recently but maybe Cook doesn't feel he's up to the job? Maybe Cook wants the Academy to go in another direction? Maybe there are plans to dispose of it?

I’d say this is spot on. And at that risk of being accused of a young player hater on here by some, I’d ask when was the last time this academy ever produced a young player that’s gone on to better things, even as a senior squad player at this Club or by leaving to follow the big bucks? Not many …if any!

However going forwards, our American owners come from a culture, where young footballers are looked to be developed, and as you allude too, maybe Cook and Ashton has further development plans in mind as to the characteristics that our academy players need to succeed . Just about all our players are lightweight IMO, and barely look able to stand up in a stiff breeze. You need players that have physical presence as well as intrinsic footballing skills. Question is , will Brian Klug remain our academy stalwart ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:55 - Jul 7 with 1206 viewsjayessess

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:53 - Jul 7 by chrismakin

Is Phil his agent then?

We know we offered money, a few hundred less than wanted........... why did we stop that with a few hundred.. was it just money? did he demand first team squad inclusion?

He's not in the business of making things up, to my knowledge.

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:56 - Jul 7 with 1198 viewschicoazul

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:53 - Jul 7 by chrismakin

Is Phil his agent then?

He certainly knows a lot more than you that’s for sure.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:56 - Jul 7 with 1199 viewsBryanPlug

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 15:35 - Jul 7 by homer_123

I guess there is a wider question though - maybe Cook and the team have assessed the 'actual' effectiveness of the Academy and have decided that they are not providing the right 'type' of player.

In short, Cook and the new team are having a complete clear out, why would the Academy not come under the same scrutiny?

Maybe Gibbs is one of the best we have produced recently but maybe Cook doesn't feel he's up to the job? Maybe Cook wants the Academy to go in another direction? Maybe there are plans to dispose of it?

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:57 - Jul 7 with 1194 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:55 - Jul 7 by jayessess

He's not in the business of making things up, to my knowledge.

Not really sure what you're even on about tbh.

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:57 - Jul 7 with 1187 viewsmarchy

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:57 - Jul 7 by chrismakin

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) by PhilTWTD 7 Jul 2021 16:22
It's just a matter of a few hundred quid, from what I gather.

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:57 - Jul 7 with 1184 viewsitfcjoe

No surprise there

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:59 - Jul 7 with 1156 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:56 - Jul 7 by chicoazul

No sht, but im not stating anything as known

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 17:00 - Jul 7 with 1138 viewsjayessess

That Gibbs would've stayed had the money been satisfactory.

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 17:01 - Jul 7 with 1136 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:57 - Jul 7 by itfcjoe

No surprise there

Which side of the fence you on today joe, positive in everything town, or now Gibbs has gone you've gone full circle again?

Good to see Dobra back in the fold isnt it. that ban was crazy.

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 17:03 - Jul 7 with 1120 viewsSteve_M

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:56 - Jul 7 by chicoazul

A textbook definition of damning with faint praise there Chico.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 17:04 - Jul 7 with 1118 viewsjayessess

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:56 - Jul 7 by BryanPlug

Is Cook making this sort of decision? Seems odd for the club to put together this whole back room staff, make such a point about structure, then have the first team manager deciding what wages we should be paying U23 players.

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 17:05 - Jul 7 with 1108 viewschrismakin

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:57 - Jul 7 by marchy

Yeah, exactly what i've been saying, we offered him terms, as phil says he declined it over a few hundred. No one knows how much we offered to say in Jayees terms, it wasn't competitive.

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 17:05 - Jul 7 with 1109 viewsBryanPlug

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 16:57 - Jul 7 by marchy

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 17:06 - Jul 7 with 1102 viewsStokieBlue

If we're prepared to let Gibbs walk... on 15:29 - Jul 7 by itfcjoe

Yep, it's maddening

You will lose players from time to time, it's unavoidable whatever category you are in - but this seems totally avoidable, and he's the player who has been pushed on the most, by far, in his age group - which has had success!

What was the issue do you know?

We offered him a deal, he didn't want to sign it? I believe I read it was more about guaranteed first team training/chances than the money?

Surely that can't be the case though as he's not going to get any first team chances in the PL I wouldn't have thought.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024