Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Toto captain! 15:26 - Jul 24 with 6679 viewsVic

Don’t think anyone was predicting that. Suggests that Cookie thinks a lot of him.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Toto captain! on 19:52 - Jul 24 with 1974 viewsWickets

Toto captain! on 19:50 - Jul 24 by Wickets

Twice dived in early on and missed his tackle and we should have been punished for those errors . Later on he made 2 or three great blocks and that is Toto in a nutshell you will never know what you are going to get . Position sense is lousy often poor judgement but his heart is in the right place !!

As things stand i think Lee Evans is likely to be skipper .
Toto captain! on 19:53 - Jul 24 with 1976 viewsMach_foreignBlue

The note from EADT about Toto:

'The centre-half was captain for this game, leading his side out to a great reception at the start of the match. He too made a great tackle to stop Zaha while also making some other good interceptions. His defence were stretched at times but the skipper came up with some big moments, notably an excellent clearance to stop Palace from finding an empty net after Jean-Philippe Mateta had hit the bar.

Well done the skipper ! Well done Toto and please keep upsetting some by your good performances.
[Post edited 24 Jul 2021 19:54]
Toto captain! on 19:59 - Jul 24 with 1958 viewsMullet

Toto captain! on 19:00 - Jul 24 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

So not only are you wrong but you start talking about two attributes off the ball?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Toto captain! on 20:00 - Jul 24 with 1955 viewsBluearmy71

Toto captain! on 18:00 - Jul 24 by itfcjoe

Ultimately he’s nowhere near good enough on the ball, him and Penney really struggled today when pressed - the difference between them compared to Woolf and KVY is night and day.

Being just a good defender isn’t enough

I disagree to a degree with you here Joe

Toto is plenty good enough on the ball and with the ball, he can pick a pass the trouble is there is no consistency in a match from him when it comes down to it 2 or 3 dribbles, 2 or 3 sublime passes just isn't good enough per game, I'm not gonna fault his tackling or blocking for the player he is, he saved the points for us a few time in that regard and last season he came back twice the player he was the first year, I actually have grown to believe that if he can get that consistency sorted then he would be very handy for this league especially, maybe the captaincy will have a good affect on him!
Toto captain! on 20:10 - Jul 24 with 1928 viewsitfcjoe

Toto captain! on 20:00 - Jul 24 by Bluearmy71

I disagree to a degree with you here Joe

Toto is plenty good enough on the ball and with the ball, he can pick a pass the trouble is there is no consistency in a match from him when it comes down to it 2 or 3 dribbles, 2 or 3 sublime passes just isn't good enough per game, I'm not gonna fault his tackling or blocking for the player he is, he saved the points for us a few time in that regard and last season he came back twice the player he was the first year, I actually have grown to believe that if he can get that consistency sorted then he would be very handy for this league especially, maybe the captaincy will have a good affect on him!

I just struggle when I see a player who gets pressed and they just don’t react well to it, either just putting foot through it or giving it away. I thought Penney was really shaky in that respect too.

Toto is a decent defender, we’ll be fine with him in team as we were last year defensively - but if you want to be a more progressive side you need to be cool in possession, and comfortable when under pressure - you don’t need to be Rio Ferdinand on the ball, just good enough.

Surely MOTM was Hladky today as well despite what reports say

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Toto captain! on 21:09 - Jul 24 with 1881 viewsKieran_Knows

Toto captain! on 18:38 - Jul 24 by chrismakin

Did make me laugh a bit to that. Chambers has simply been a 'good' defender for the past 4 years and nothing more. Certainly nothing better than Toto.

I've never understood the Toto hate.

I mean, I questioned your knowledge on football as it was, but if you’re seriously saying that Chambers game had nothing better than Toto’s, then I’m afraid you know nothing at all.

For a side that’s been ripped apart, and in large been replaced with quality players, it’s mind boggling that people are seemingly happy to accept a mediocre centre half - at best - in Toto, going forward.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Toto captain! on 21:14 - Jul 24 with 1863 viewsGeomorph

Toto captain! on 18:00 - Jul 24 by itfcjoe

Ultimately he’s nowhere near good enough on the ball, him and Penney really struggled today when pressed - the difference between them compared to Woolf and KVY is night and day.

Being just a good defender isn’t enough

That’d be worrying.. especially if we were 2 divs higher than we are
Toto captain! on 21:15 - Jul 24 with 1862 viewsBluearmy71

Toto captain! on 20:10 - Jul 24 by itfcjoe

I just struggle when I see a player who gets pressed and they just don’t react well to it, either just putting foot through it or giving it away. I thought Penney was really shaky in that respect too.

Toto is a decent defender, we’ll be fine with him in team as we were last year defensively - but if you want to be a more progressive side you need to be cool in possession, and comfortable when under pressure - you don’t need to be Rio Ferdinand on the ball, just good enough.

Yep fair point and well made their mate, didn't go today so can't comment on penny!

And we will defo get pressed a lot again this year.
Login to get fewer ads

Toto captain! on 21:42 - Jul 24 with 1831 viewschrismakin

Toto captain! on 21:09 - Jul 24 by Kieran_Knows

I mean, I questioned your knowledge on football as it was, but if you’re seriously saying that Chambers game had nothing better than Toto’s, then I’m afraid you know nothing at all.

For a side that’s been ripped apart, and in large been replaced with quality players, it’s mind boggling that people are seemingly happy to accept a mediocre centre half - at best - in Toto, going forward.

For someone that's read everyone if my 1 million posts have you missed me saying I believe we need a CB to partner wolfy or Toto. I've been saying it for months.

However Toto is a good defender for league 1. If he had no faults he would be a championship defender based on his size etc.

Chambers post Mcarthy imo hasnt been anything great he has been a good defender. Again without his faults hed be playing championship football.

So to summarise again I believe we need a CB partner for wolfenden. Or even a CB partner for Toto. Hes a good defender for league 1 but hes not 'The' defender we need to be leading the line. That is if course for PC to get.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Toto captain! on 21:45 - Jul 24 with 1827 viewsBryanPlug

Toto captain! on 19:34 - Jul 24 by Vic

But he really wasn’t, was he really!

He wasn’t as fast as he had been but he did a very solid job at RB in the team as it was set up last season. Wouldn’t be enough for this year which is why he was let go, but wha5 you say just was not true. Why make things up?

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Toto captain! on 21:51 - Jul 24 with 1802 viewsVic

Toto captain! on 21:45 - Jul 24 by BryanPlug

I think your angling for a whoosh here Pluggers! I’m sure you’ll get a few nibbles.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Toto captain! on 21:54 - Jul 24 with 1797 viewsOldboy

I like Toto. Not sure he is Captain material, but happy he is still here. Played well today.
Toto captain! on 21:55 - Jul 24 with 1796 viewsBluefields

Toto captain! on 21:45 - Jul 24 by BryanPlug

Played 450+ games in the Championship so clearly was a very good pro. Age caught up with him that’s all.
Toto captain! on 22:31 - Jul 24 with 1749 viewsTrumptonBlue

I love Toto. I don't really care if he's not very good (and I think he's fine), I just like having him around
Toto captain! on 23:29 - Jul 24 with 1699 viewsstrikalite

He needs to learn to stay on his feet, there is always this rash challenge in him which ruins all the decent stuff he does..
Toto captain! on 23:38 - Jul 24 with 1689 viewspositivity

Toto captain! on 21:09 - Jul 24 by Kieran_Knows

i think the comparison was with 2021 era chambers (now playing in a lower div 2 side), not with the championship-ready centre back we'd all like to see playing alongside toto (or woolf)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Toto captain! on 23:53 - Jul 24 with 1672 viewsCoastalblue

Toto captain! on 20:10 - Jul 24 by itfcjoe

The flip side of this is if we are building a side to get out of this division, and then hopefully aiming to upgrade it to compete a league higher it may be felt that Toto has enough about him to contribute to that this year.

If we've had a couple of targets we've not managed to get maybe Cook thinks that he's good enough for another year, especially considering we are likely to bringing in another centre half I'd have thought?

I'd have no issue with Toto being first choice back up, maybe look again if/when we go up.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Toto captain! on 01:22 - Jul 25 with 1640 viewsitfcbam

It's amazing how many experts we have here. Obviously our manager (and previous ones to him) see something every day in training, be it attitude, temperament or performance. Yet we have many on here know better. Is generally pretty solid, but has odd lapse......Titus Bramble springs to mind, he was much the same, obviously higher level but he was prone to same mistakes which used to cost several goals a season, yet to many he could do no wrong.
About time we start to fully back whoever is in the shirt, and try and bring out the best in them rather than doing what we seem to do best which is to try and destroy them.
Toto captain! on 07:40 - Jul 25 with 1554 viewsitfcjoe

Toto captain! on 01:22 - Jul 25 by itfcbam

It's amazing how many experts we have here. Obviously our manager (and previous ones to him) see something every day in training, be it attitude, temperament or performance. Yet we have many on here know better. Is generally pretty solid, but has odd lapse......Titus Bramble springs to mind, he was much the same, obviously higher level but he was prone to same mistakes which used to cost several goals a season, yet to many he could do no wrong.
About time we start to fully back whoever is in the shirt, and try and bring out the best in them rather than doing what we seem to do best which is to try and destroy them.

Our managers haven’t obviously rated him….

Hurst signed him and didn’t start him regularly

Under Lambert he didn’t play a league game for half a season then was sent to Bolton, he played a lot more last season but was often dropped when opportunity arose

Under Cook he preferred a pairing of McGuinness and Woolfie at back end of last season, and then will be desperately trying to sign a replacement.

He’s an ok back up, but if we want to build a team to challenge at the next level, which is what our signings indicate, then he’s simply not good enough for that

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Toto captain! on 12:40 - Jul 25 with 1438 viewsPlums

Toto captain! on 01:22 - Jul 25 by itfcbam

The Bramble comparison really doesn’t wash. If you listened to the Blue Monday interview with Magilton, he pointed out that Bramble arrived on the scene so quickly he made all of his development mistakes on the first team pitch.
Toto is 29 and whilst being solid most of the time seems to have a ‘bull in a china shop’ mode which leads to him looking like a walking penalty or red card. He won’t grow out of it.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Toto captain! on 12:53 - Jul 25 with 1425 viewsfranz_tyson

I’d only trust Toto with an experienced CB alongside him. He’s not captain material and he’s going to have his brainfarts. Very good back to the wall defender with blocks, headers, tackles, but he can get turned so easily and then he’s struggling.
I think if we get caught upfield on the counter-attack, I’m not sure Toto’s the best defender to have around. As back-up or the second CB next to a decent, experienced CB he’d be OK, but Woolfenden has far more potential if he raises his game.
Toto captain! on 13:18 - Jul 25 with 1390 viewspositivity

Toto captain! on 07:40 - Jul 25 by itfcjoe

Our managers haven’t obviously rated him….

Hurst signed him and didn’t start him regularly

Under Lambert he didn’t play a league game for half a season then was sent to Bolton, he played a lot more last season but was often dropped when opportunity arose

Under Cook he preferred a pairing of McGuinness and Woolfie at back end of last season, and then will be desperately trying to sign a replacement.

He’s an ok back up, but if we want to build a team to challenge at the next level, which is what our signings indicate, then he’s simply not good enough for that

not sure that's quite true.

he played every game he was available for bar one for hurst.

cook played him most of the time until the end when he wanted to take a look at the more unknown factors (woolf & mcg). as he played for cook at accrington, cook knew his qualities and character. telling that knowing all this he chose to extend his contract above wilson & chambers, then put him in the first team squad.

just lambert who messed him about as with so many others...

i expect him to be fighting woolf for the 2nd starting spot alongside our new leader cb (if we manage to find him!)
[Post edited 25 Jul 2021 13:19]

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Toto captain! on 15:36 - Jul 25 with 1321 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Toto captain! on 15:38 - Jul 24 by Keno

thats a bit harsh, he can certainly hold the line

It's going to take a lot to drag me away from you on that.
Toto captain! on 15:37 - Jul 25 with 1320 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Toto captain! on 15:54 - Jul 24 by tazdac

Even if he’s not always on time ;o)

I thought he was coming in, 12.30 flight? Don't tell me he missed it because he was late to the airport!
Toto captain! on 15:40 - Jul 25 with 1310 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Toto captain! on 17:41 - Jul 24 by monty_radio

There wasn't any other candidate today. Piggot, Harper and Burns looked O.K. in spells, as did Norwood. But Nsiala was the standout
[Post edited 24 Jul 2021 17:43]

Definitely the Man of the Match. When he's in that mood there's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do to get past him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024