Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some of you need to get a grip. 07:56 - Aug 11 with 10583 viewsChondzoresk

Flouncing is unreal. These players and team in general will take a while to get going. Yes, last night was frustrating. However, I am sure things will get better soon. Hang on in there. This is a marathon not a sprint. Have a great day and let's have positive vibes.
Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:07 - Aug 11 with 1500 viewsRyorry

Some of you need to get a grip. on 11:45 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

He's been in charge for 18 games and we've won 4 of them - that is terrible whatever the reasoning put in place.

People are talking up a 1-0 defeat against a League 2 side as though we've gone toe to toe with a big boy.

I'm sure results will improve, despite what some posters think I believe Cook will be a roaring success here and like what he is trying to do - but there is no point pretending what has happened so far hasn't happened.

Jeezus Joe, thought at least you would take into context that most of the players we had for 16 of those games weren't Cook's choice & have now been given the boot?

Not to mention that we now have in effect a whole new squad, *some* of whom have played at least part of *1* (one) whole league game!!

The reactions of some at this, you'd have thought they were completely new to football & that it was their first season ever of following a football club - it'd be hilarious if it weren't so puzzling.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 12:11]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:09 - Aug 11 with 1492 viewsMrTown

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:03 - Aug 11 by timothyeo

Only Joe quite clearly has a much better understanding than you - and Joe hasn't even been negative. He's just dealt with facts, that some are struggling with because for some reason they instantly stuck Cook up on a pedestal before he'd done anything (and is still yet to do anything of note)

I doubt he does.

3 promotions from 3 different clubs - they didn't come overnight.

But yes, hasn't done anything.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:09 - Aug 11 with 1490 viewsitfcjoe

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:04 - Aug 11 by pointofblue

How about Oxford? They were 21st after 15 matches last season.

Admittedly most sides who go up start well and retain momentum but that’s after 10-15 games, not won. And after 15 games last season we were second; we all know how that turned out. I think there will be a lot more tension and anxiety should we be even mid table by December but there’s a lot of football to be played before then. As has been said, disappointing results but a long way to go.

Two teams in a crazy covid season, one of whom had a play off defeat....

I havne't got time to go through it all, but I can guarantee there is a strong correlation between where you ate every step of the season and 5, 10, 15, games and whether you go up.

Looking at outliers isn't going to do anyone any favours - if we do go up this year, it willby far most likely be because things click in the next 2 or 3 weeks and we are up there most of the season - not that we are floating arounf midtable at Xmas and fly up there

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:10 - Aug 11 with 1483 viewspointofblue

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:04 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

Yep, and whilst the last paragraph is no doubt true - it's the last thing we need/want because this squad has been built in Cook's image with type of player.

2 away games this week, we need to start winning - time waits for no man and it won't wait for us to get going. Wins breed wins, and will be tough on Saturday at Burton, but it has to happen.

I wouldn’t say Burton is must win but the best thing would be to get at least seven points from the following three if we draw it and nine if we lose - that’d get us up to the two points per match average.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:12 - Aug 11 with 1471 viewsitfcjoe

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:07 - Aug 11 by Ryorry

Jeezus Joe, thought at least you would take into context that most of the players we had for 16 of those games weren't Cook's choice & have now been given the boot?

Not to mention that we now have in effect a whole new squad, *some* of whom have played at least part of *1* (one) whole league game!!

The reactions of some at this, you'd have thought they were completely new to football & that it was their first season ever of following a football club - it'd be hilarious if it weren't so puzzling.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 12:11]

90% of managers come into jobs where they are in rubbish form, without their own players and the club is in a bad state otherwise there wouldn't be a change.

Chico said his results have been useless and was accused of flouncing - they have been useless. 4 wins out of 18 for us in League 1 is useless.

It's hardly that controversial a statement

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:14 - Aug 11 with 1453 viewsitfcjoe

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:10 - Aug 11 by pointofblue

I wouldn’t say Burton is must win but the best thing would be to get at least seven points from the following three if we draw it and nine if we lose - that’d get us up to the two points per match average.

It's definitely not must win - it's August - but something needs to happen and we need to get points on the board. If we are sitting here this time next week with no wins then it is going to be quite a depressing place and all the momentum and excitement we have brought into the season will be tested as we go into a home game where there will be a load of pressure on us to win.

But we have to get used to that, winning is expected of us at this level, we need to be getting around 90 points if we want to achieve our goals

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:27 - Aug 11 with 1431 viewsRyorry

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:12 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

90% of managers come into jobs where they are in rubbish form, without their own players and the club is in a bad state otherwise there wouldn't be a change.

Chico said his results have been useless and was accused of flouncing - they have been useless. 4 wins out of 18 for us in League 1 is useless.

It's hardly that controversial a statement

"Chico said his results have been useless and was accused of flouncing - they have been useless. 4 wins out of 18 for us in League 1 is useless."

Because Chico had clearly ignored the context of those results, as even you appear to be doing.

When 90% of managers go into new jobs at new clubs, I'd venture to say that 99% of those clubs weren't in anything approaching the kind of appalling mess that ITFC were in after 13 years of ME's ineptitude & neglect. You've only got to consider things like dismal state of our "Sports Science" dept., with one physio expected to multi-task in a whole heap of other roles, our fitness coach being expected to do the job remotely from 400 miles away!! etc etc

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:46 - Aug 11 with 1396 viewsitfcjoe

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:27 - Aug 11 by Ryorry

"Chico said his results have been useless and was accused of flouncing - they have been useless. 4 wins out of 18 for us in League 1 is useless."

Because Chico had clearly ignored the context of those results, as even you appear to be doing.

When 90% of managers go into new jobs at new clubs, I'd venture to say that 99% of those clubs weren't in anything approaching the kind of appalling mess that ITFC were in after 13 years of ME's ineptitude & neglect. You've only got to consider things like dismal state of our "Sports Science" dept., with one physio expected to multi-task in a whole heap of other roles, our fitness coach being expected to do the job remotely from 400 miles away!! etc etc

People have such a myopic view of football seen purely through the prism of ITFC.

Login to get fewer ads

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:58 - Aug 11 with 1372 viewsRyorry

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:46 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

People have such a myopic view of football seen purely through the prism of ITFC.

Err - this is a site for ITFC supporters ... and feel free to list all other clubs that have been in a worse state structurally than us (not including those who went out of business altogether, so didn't appoint new managers).
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 13:19]

Some of you need to get a grip. on 13:21 - Aug 11 with 1333 viewsRobTheMonk

Lower half League 2 teams and we wern't even scoring goals for about 6 games. It was utterly awful. People are wary because we've had false dawns before. The context of the results was that we didn't win or score nearly enough goals. It was embarrassing for all involved.

I think Morcambe was a bit of an anomaly to be fair as we basically gifted them two goals. Last night was basically a random game with a random team selection from both squads.

It's early doors and there's positive signs. Get a settled team and we'll see where we go. I'm warily optimistic for the coming games - take from that what you will.
Some of you need to get a grip. on 13:43 - Aug 11 with 1288 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Some of you need to get a grip. on 11:45 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

He's been in charge for 18 games and we've won 4 of them - that is terrible whatever the reasoning put in place.

People are talking up a 1-0 defeat against a League 2 side as though we've gone toe to toe with a big boy.

I'm sure results will improve, despite what some posters think I believe Cook will be a roaring success here and like what he is trying to do - but there is no point pretending what has happened so far hasn't happened.

I just don't know what's wrong with some of you. Again, here - "as though we've gone toe to toe with a big boy." Literally no-one is talking like this.

It seems some are really keen to put people into extreme camps. People would probably put me in the 'he can do no wrong' camp... despite the fact I posted the other day that I thought he'd made a mistake only having one defender on the bench, for example.

From what I can see, most sensible people appreciate this is a big project, we've had the biggest turnover of players in our history (which was needed), and it'll take time for everything to come together. I'm neither happy with these first 2 results or worried about them either.

The signs look promising (in terms of actual play rather than end results) but it seems some people are getting jittery and/or never bought into Cook in the first place so are looking for every excuse to have a pop (although some dress it up as 'well I'm only stating facts' to try to look measured and calm).

Saying "He's been in charge for 18 games and we've won 4 of them" again is factually correct, but has removed all context - deliberately - to make things look worse than the are. If it were 4 wins from 18 by this new team THEN I'd be worried.

In short, get a grip.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Some of you need to get a grip. on 13:45 - Aug 11 with 1287 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Some of you need to get a grip. on 11:48 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

Can we not talk about a team like Blackpool who put themselves in an awful situation which would 99 times out of 100 see them nowhere near the play offs.

Look across the leagues and see where play off teams are after 10-15 games on average as that is where we need to be at a minimum - we need to be gunning for the top 2.

We're unbeaten in the league Joe. Calm your knickers down.

Some of you need to get a grip. on 13:45 - Aug 11 with 1297 viewschicoazul

People seem to think Cook should be given credit despite failing so badly in his time here thus far because things were so bad when he arrived. Any new managers literal job is to be better than the bloke before not worse. As I have said, for many Ipswich fans, failure is a form of success.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 13:49 - Aug 11 with 1278 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Some of you need to get a grip. on 11:52 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

Easy as in we were at home against the favourites for relegation who have also had high squad churn, and then at home against League 2 opposition playing their youth team.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 14:28]

We were also playing our youth team, largely. Funny how you fail to mention that.

Saturday was Morecambe's biggest game at this level. You never want a newly promoted team for your first game. I guarantee if we'd played them in a couple of months we'd have slaughtered them.

Why are you deliberately trying to make things sound worse than they are? It's really odd.

Some of you need to get a grip. on 13:51 - Aug 11 with 1278 viewsitfcjoe

Some of you need to get a grip. on 13:43 - Aug 11 by The_Flashing_Smile

I just don't know what's wrong with some of you. Again, here - "as though we've gone toe to toe with a big boy." Literally no-one is talking like this.

It seems some are really keen to put people into extreme camps. People would probably put me in the 'he can do no wrong' camp... despite the fact I posted the other day that I thought he'd made a mistake only having one defender on the bench, for example.

From what I can see, most sensible people appreciate this is a big project, we've had the biggest turnover of players in our history (which was needed), and it'll take time for everything to come together. I'm neither happy with these first 2 results or worried about them either.

The signs look promising (in terms of actual play rather than end results) but it seems some people are getting jittery and/or never bought into Cook in the first place so are looking for every excuse to have a pop (although some dress it up as 'well I'm only stating facts' to try to look measured and calm).

Saying "He's been in charge for 18 games and we've won 4 of them" again is factually correct, but has removed all context - deliberately - to make things look worse than the are. If it were 4 wins from 18 by this new team THEN I'd be worried.

In short, get a grip.

These were 2 thread headings and initial postings earlier, copied word for word:

"As League Cup defeats go, that was a great one."

"Thankyou for giving me back exciting football. Thank you all at Gamechanger, Cookie and the players. Despite tonight's result that was most enjoyable game I've seen us play in for years."

Some of you need to get a grip. on 13:59 - Aug 11 with 1227 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Some of you need to get a grip. on 13:45 - Aug 11 by chicoazul

People seem to think Cook should be given credit despite failing so badly in his time here thus far because things were so bad when he arrived. Any new managers literal job is to be better than the bloke before not worse. As I have said, for many Ipswich fans, failure is a form of success.

You can say it all you like but it's utter nonsense.

Some of you need to get a grip. on 13:59 - Aug 11 with 1235 viewschicoazul

Some of you need to get a grip. on 13:21 - Aug 11 by RobTheMonk

Lower half League 2 teams and we wern't even scoring goals for about 6 games. It was utterly awful. People are wary because we've had false dawns before. The context of the results was that we didn't win or score nearly enough goals. It was embarrassing for all involved.

I think Morcambe was a bit of an anomaly to be fair as we basically gifted them two goals. Last night was basically a random game with a random team selection from both squads.

It's early doors and there's positive signs. Get a settled team and we'll see where we go. I'm warily optimistic for the coming games - take from that what you will.

I too am very optimistic and hopeful, mainly because with the players we have signed it would seem to me that any basically good Manager should get us up, to say nothing of the excellent analysis/medical/back room infrastructure those players and Manager & coaches will now enjoy. We also have a Manager who has a track record of success at this level. Anything other than promotion this season after all that would be total failure.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 14:00]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 14:02 - Aug 11 with 1218 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Some of you need to get a grip. on 13:51 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

These were 2 thread headings and initial postings earlier, copied word for word:

"As League Cup defeats go, that was a great one."

"Thankyou for giving me back exciting football. Thank you all at Gamechanger, Cookie and the players. Despite tonight's result that was most enjoyable game I've seen us play in for years."

A couple of people enjoyed the way our reserves/yoofs played in a meaningless cup game. In what way is that suggesting we went toe to toe with a big boy?!

Some of you need to get a grip. on 14:06 - Aug 11 with 1221 viewsVic

Not flouncing and not needing to get a grip - but what excuses have we got that our 2nd 11 didn’t beat Newport’s 2nd 11, and our new first 11 couldn’t beat Morecambe’s new first 11 (it seems to be overlooked that they are undergoing a complete rebuild just as we are)

No need for alarm bells - but it’s not really what I’d hoped for or expected. We should beat these teams - they are not better than us.

For all that, I do expect us to be up and running within a few weeks. If we are not then serious questions will be asked.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 14:51 - Aug 11 with 1163 viewstimothyeo

Some of you need to get a grip. on 14:06 - Aug 11 by Vic

Not flouncing and not needing to get a grip - but what excuses have we got that our 2nd 11 didn’t beat Newport’s 2nd 11, and our new first 11 couldn’t beat Morecambe’s new first 11 (it seems to be overlooked that they are undergoing a complete rebuild just as we are)

No need for alarm bells - but it’s not really what I’d hoped for or expected. We should beat these teams - they are not better than us.

For all that, I do expect us to be up and running within a few weeks. If we are not then serious questions will be asked.

Good post.
Some of you need to get a grip. on 14:51 - Aug 11 with 1161 viewstimothyeo

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:09 - Aug 11 by MrTown

I doubt he does.

A quick look at posting history seriously suggests he does. He certainly realised how poor Lambert and Hurst were some time before yourself.
Some of you need to get a grip. on 14:57 - Aug 11 with 1148 viewsHerbivore

Some of you need to get a grip. on 12:09 - Aug 11 by MrTown

I doubt he does.

Joe definitely has a much better understanding of the game than you do, it's not even close to be fair.

Cook has good pedigree and that's reassuring, other managers with pedigree have come here and failed though so it's no guarantee. Thus far his tenure hasn't been great, I find it odd that people get precious when this is pointed out given that he's more or less said so himself. Everyone wants him to succeed here, let's hope it starts happening sooner rather than later.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 14:59 - Aug 11 with 1139 viewsEwan_Oozami

You are correct, they are not better than us.

But if we allow them to get in front (via 2 defensive mistakes and a slightly lucky far post flick towards goal), they'll then get 11 behnd the ball and we have to break them down - we just about managed it Saturday, but didn't lon Tuesday (though not for want of trying).

That's generally how the slightly worse teams beat the slightly better ones, but I doubt if that'll happen to us too often this season....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Well, yes, quite. (n/t) on 15:01 - Aug 11 with 1127 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Well, yes, quite. (n/t) (n/t) on 15:03 - Aug 11 with 1117 viewsRyorry

Well, yes, quite. (n/t) on 15:01 - Aug 11 by Bloots

Edited - replied to wrong post
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 15:05]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024