Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. 12:17 - Aug 19 with 3917 viewsITFCBlues

2.73 as opposed to the 6 we've conceded. Would be higher still due to the pen. Suggests we've been a tad unfortunate.

Is the defence really the issue?

Suggests to me that given time, we can expect to see things improve?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 13:28 - Aug 19 with 1393 viewsitfcjoe

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 13:22 - Aug 19 by jayessess

How does that one work?
My feeling on the 6 conceded so far is that he's conceded 2 that a good shop stopper is saving a lot of the time (Morecambe's 1st and Cheltenham's 1st) and the other 4 were nothing to blame him for per se, but also ones where sometimes a really good keeper does bale you out.

It's to do with where the ball is on target - so if there is an xG of 0.5 it doesn't matter if that goes off target or on target.....but if it goes off target the keeper gets credit for nothing really.

It weighs up shot location/type/etc of an xG and combines it with the end ball location - i.e if it is right in top corner them scoring from long range isn't as bad for the keeper as whilst shot location may be a 0.02 chance of scoring, if that shot is in the postage stamp it goes up so the GK isn't severely punished for excellent quality shots

Sure there is a better explainer of it somewhere - but hopefully that helps

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 13:31 - Aug 19 with 1375 viewsjayessess

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 13:22 - Aug 19 by HARRY10

Most of what are known as 'stats' are little more than meaningless gibberish 0 that serve inly to overexcite those with mild Aspergers.

A player shoots from 30 yards out having skipped past two players, the ball skips just over the cross bar. Another player skies the ball into row z from 10 yards out - they are both shots off target.

We are one down with ten men, 5 mins to go. We will try to keep possession by pssing in our own half, or one down at home with minutes to go so hoof the ball forward as much as possible. What do the possession, passes completed 'stats' tell you ?

Absolutely nothing without the context of either game.

Much as with another bit if buffoonery - the assist.

A player delivers a perfectly weighted ball into the box that the striker hits over the bar. Or a ball is launched forward, hopefully. The striker skilfully brings it down and scores from 25 yards out. One player is credited with an assist, the other isn't.

Anyone watching a game should be able to tell what happened, if they have not watched the game then idiotic numbers well tell them nothing, other than they are similarly an idiot.

What's wrong with people with aspergers?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 13:35 - Aug 19 with 1361 viewschicoazul

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 13:22 - Aug 19 by HARRY10

Most of what are known as 'stats' are little more than meaningless gibberish 0 that serve inly to overexcite those with mild Aspergers.

A player shoots from 30 yards out having skipped past two players, the ball skips just over the cross bar. Another player skies the ball into row z from 10 yards out - they are both shots off target.

We are one down with ten men, 5 mins to go. We will try to keep possession by pssing in our own half, or one down at home with minutes to go so hoof the ball forward as much as possible. What do the possession, passes completed 'stats' tell you ?

A player delivers a perfectly weighted ball into the box that the striker hits over the bar. Or a ball is launched forward, hopefully. The striker skilfully brings it down and scores from 25 yards out. One player is credited with an assist, the other isn't.

Anyone watching a game should be able to tell what happened, if they have not watched the game then idiotic numbers well tell them nothing, other than they are similarly an idiot.

Sounds like you don’t understand.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 13:39 - Aug 19 with 1350 viewschicoazul

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 13:31 - Aug 19 by jayessess

Hazza is from a generation that thinks it’s ok to use mental illnesses as pejorative.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:02 - Aug 19 with 1290 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

‘…overexcited those with mild Aspergers’

You horrible little sh*t

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:03 - Aug 19 with 1284 viewsHerbivore

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 13:31 - Aug 19 by jayessess

Harry likes to condescend to people he doesn't agree with in lieu of being able to construct a decent argument.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:17 - Aug 19 with 1261 viewsDanTheMan

" overexcite those with mild Aspergers"

That was absolutely not necessary.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:21 - Aug 19 with 1237 viewsSwansea_Blue

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 12:24 - Aug 19 by DanTheMan

Expected goals.

https://www.sportperformanceanalysis.com/article/what-are-expected-goals-xg

I think I can see the problem. People can't have been watching us much if they are expecting goals!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:26 - Aug 19 with 1225 viewsHullblue

The phrase ‘people fear what they don’t understand’ comes to mind.

You should probably let every top flight club in the country know that those stats they’re basing their multimillion pound recruitment and team selections on are useless. They’ll save themselves a fortune.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:28 - Aug 19 with 1225 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

If the opposition are winning games and closing them out comfortably, they do not need to create more chances. The stats that matter most are 2 goals conceded per game and 1 point from 9. That has got to improve and improve soon.

The biggest plus so far was the ability to come from behind in our first match. The biggest negative was the inability to make the most of the lead last match.

It is no surprise that we are a work in progress but focussing on one stat without context is never going to give an accurate picture.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:38 - Aug 19 with 1199 viewsKievthegreat

Ignoring the Asperger's BS addressed already by other posters, I find it deeply ironic that you probably think you're making a great, intellectual statement about people who don't understand the game whilst perfectly illustrating that it's actually you who doesn't have a clue.
Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:42 - Aug 19 with 1185 viewswkj

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 12:39 - Aug 19 by Mullet

Penalty aside, I can't make my mind up about Hladky and his lack of saves. He's possibly at fault a little bit for the 1st Morecambe goal, but had ridiculous defending ahead of him.

Thought that header for Cheltenham was pretty postage stamp so not much he could do. We seem very susceptible to counters and he does seem better at distribution to get us out of situations. It's just a sign for me as to how disjointed the whole side is in everything aspect.

I can - He's in no way better than Holy (so far). As good as, possibly.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:48 - Aug 19 with 1165 viewsRyorry

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 13:39 - Aug 19 by chicoazul

Hazza is from a generation that thinks it’s ok to use mental illnesses as pejorative.

Unfortunately he's not the only one - if I had £1 for every time I've seen a seriously derogatory term (I mean one that can only legitimately used to diagnose mental illness by professionals - am not referring to friendly bantz like "you loon") used as a form of belittling or abuse in argument on here by some who should know better, I'd be a few hundred quid better off.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:49 - Aug 19 with 1163 viewsHighgateBlue

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 13:19 - Aug 19 by JakeITFC

Quite annoying to concede from pretty much every chance the opposition create and reassuring to know that it surely won't continue.

As with our run in the first season down here, questions probably have to be asked as to why we are in tight, scrappy games with the quality we have at our disposal. Progress to be made in all areas of the pitch imo.

It will continue unless our defence improves, surely. We've not exactly been playing the very best sides in the division...
Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:54 - Aug 19 with 1142 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 13:15 - Aug 19 by itfcjoe

There is another stat which is xGOT which tells more about how well a goalkeeper is doing - on that he is shown as -3.1 goals in the goals prevented stakes

Excuse my ignorance, is that a good stat?

For me he hasn't done a lot wrong but hasn't pulled off a cracking save you stand up to applaud either.

His distribution has been decent, apart from at the start of the Cheltenham game with that poor pass to Woolfy that went off for a long Tozer throw.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:57 - Aug 19 with 1125 viewsJakeITFC

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:49 - Aug 19 by HighgateBlue

It will continue unless our defence improves, surely. We've not exactly been playing the very best sides in the division...

Not saying we are going to concede fewer goals necessarily, just seems unlikely that teams will continue to score so frequently with so few shots on target.
Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 15:00 - Aug 19 with 1110 viewsitfcjoe

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 14:54 - Aug 19 by The_Flashing_Smile

Excuse my ignorance, is that a good stat?

For me he hasn't done a lot wrong but hasn't pulled off a cracking save you stand up to applaud either.

His distribution has been decent, apart from at the start of the Cheltenham game with that poor pass to Woolfy that went off for a long Tozer throw.

No, it's by a distance the worst in the EFL at the moment amongst keepers....

I think it excludes penalties - but basically with the shots he's faced he should have conceded 1.9 goals, but has conceded 5.

In this league the Burton keeper should have conceded 2.7 goals but is yet to concede yet.

This website will be updated after each game and has some good data
https://dataviz.theanalyst.com/season-reviews/2021/?competition_id=11&season

Compared to last season, he was very good in L2
https://dataviz.theanalyst.com/season-reviews/2020/?competition_id=12&season
[Post edited 19 Aug 2021 15:02]

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 15:38 - Aug 19 with 1055 viewsHerbivore

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 15:00 - Aug 19 by itfcjoe

No, it's by a distance the worst in the EFL at the moment amongst keepers....

I think it excludes penalties - but basically with the shots he's faced he should have conceded 1.9 goals, but has conceded 5.

In this league the Burton keeper should have conceded 2.7 goals but is yet to concede yet.

This website will be updated after each game and has some good data
https://dataviz.theanalyst.com/season-reviews/2021/?competition_id=11&season

Compared to last season, he was very good in L2
https://dataviz.theanalyst.com/season-reviews/2020/?competition_id=12&season
[Post edited 19 Aug 2021 15:02]

Not sure which of the 5 non-penalty goals he's conceded that he should have saved. I think he messed up a bit for Morecambe's opener and it's possible he could have kept out Cheltenham's first but otherwise I don't think he could have done much about the others. Even with those two they weren't glaring errors, just ones where you'd say he might have done better.

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 15:40 - Aug 19 with 1054 viewsMaySixth

XT has surpassed XG

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 22:20 - Aug 19 with 929 viewsWD19

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 13:19 - Aug 19 by JakeITFC

Quite annoying to concede from pretty much every chance the opposition create and reassuring to know that it surely won't continue.

As with our run in the first season down here, questions probably have to be asked as to why we are in tight, scrappy games with the quality we have at our disposal. Progress to be made in all areas of the pitch imo.

Do ‘chances’ include the seemingly unusually high number of crosses that we seem to let flash across our box!?

I don’t think anyone that claim we were ‘unlucky’ in the second half at Cheltenham. Although we should have scored more in the first half, they still created more danger in our box than people seemed keen to admit.

….and Hladky looks great in the warm up and his distribution is classy, but he seems to go haywire in match situations. Hopefully it is just nerves and he will settle down with a few more saves and some better results.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2021 22:22]
Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 22:28 - Aug 19 with 919 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 15:38 - Aug 19 by Herbivore

Not sure which of the 5 non-penalty goals he's conceded that he should have saved. I think he messed up a bit for Morecambe's opener and it's possible he could have kept out Cheltenham's first but otherwise I don't think he could have done much about the others. Even with those two they weren't glaring errors, just ones where you'd say he might have done better.

He made a mess of trying to claim the first long throw from Cheltenham on Tuesday. Didn't he also have one that Nsiala had to clear off the line against Morecambe?

Stats will be skewed early on. A poor performance or a great one will make a big difference. Let's hope he is soon settled into regularly solid and better performances with a regular defence ahead of him. It won't have helped to have had a different defence in each of his matches so far. He is also likely to have another different one on Saturday and that may still not be the first choice one.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 10:41 - Aug 20 with 832 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed. Problem is that over just a few league games then these statistics can look very odd. You’d expect to concede far fewer than 6 goals given the overall chances against us.

But I do think an unsettled back line is an issue. I understand why we’ve had so many changes with injuries and new players coming in, but you’d like to think we’re at peak defensive uncertainty right now.

Pronouns: He/Him

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 11:13 - Aug 20 with 806 viewsSamWhiteUK

I'm slowly getting behind xG; I used to think it was a useless stat but I can understand a bit more about it now. I think it is still useful to remember two things though, which can apply to all stats:

1) A larger sample size is (almost?) always preferable - we have only played 3 league games

2) Statistics can always be interpreted in a certain way to support a particular argument
Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 11:16 - Aug 20 with 799 viewsitfcjoe

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 11:13 - Aug 20 by SamWhiteUK

I'm slowly getting behind xG; I used to think it was a useless stat but I can understand a bit more about it now. I think it is still useful to remember two things though, which can apply to all stats:

1) A larger sample size is (almost?) always preferable - we have only played 3 league games

2) Statistics can always be interpreted in a certain way to support a particular argument

One thing it doesn't reflect quickly is game state - i.e. Morecambe took the lead, sat back and then when we equalised, did exactly the same.

We dominated possession and chances because we didn't score - that would have changed approaches

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 11:29 - Aug 20 with 774 viewsHerbivore

Third lowest XG on goals against in the three games.. on 22:28 - Aug 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

He made a mess of trying to claim the first long throw from Cheltenham on Tuesday. Didn't he also have one that Nsiala had to clear off the line against Morecambe?

Stats will be skewed early on. A poor performance or a great one will make a big difference. Let's hope he is soon settled into regularly solid and better performances with a regular defence ahead of him. It won't have helped to have had a different defence in each of his matches so far. He is also likely to have another different one on Saturday and that may still not be the first choice one.

Don't get me wrong, he's made some errors but the stat Joe posted was about goals conceded and those errors you mention didn't lead to goals.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024