Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? 09:38 - Sep 13 with 1922 viewsgalacticoblue

Given criticisms of the drastic overhaul, I’m struggling to think of who else I would have kept in comparison to the apparent individual quality of players who have come in.

Downes I think is a big miss, but he didn’t want to be here. In hindsight Skuse might have been useful to have around… Chambers could have been useful, but understand why he was let go.
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 09:43 - Sep 13 with 1717 viewsOldboy

It has happened and we are where we are. We all need to move on and realise that this is a massive gamble by our new owners and Cook needs to shape up quickly. Looking back isn't healthy. Onwards and hopefully upwards.
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 09:46 - Sep 13 with 1700 viewsgalacticoblue

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 09:43 - Sep 13 by Oldboy

It has happened and we are where we are. We all need to move on and realise that this is a massive gamble by our new owners and Cook needs to shape up quickly. Looking back isn't healthy. Onwards and hopefully upwards.

Yes that is true, but the struggle to name someone we should have kept has helped convince me that our dealings were pretty good and the right thing overall.
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 10:05 - Sep 13 with 1646 viewsITFC_96

Probably Wilson, our player of the season.
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 10:07 - Sep 13 with 1643 viewsthebooks

Part of the problem of looking at this objectively is that Cook’s own poor performance affects our view of that squad.

When he joined I think we were around 8th – certainly within touching distance of the playoffs. Matt Gill had managed to get a tune out of those players.

I know Downes had wanted to leave early in the season, but I would have liked to have seen some effort put into keeping him if possible. Maybe he’d have felt different if he hadn’t been frozen out or we’d have got into the play-offs.

Dozzell. Wilson. Bishop as a squad player. I know Woolfenden is still here, but only due to a lack of numbers; I’d be surprised if he was here next season. Dobra should be a part of the squad.

I’d have liked Chambers to have been here in some capacity.
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 10:10 - Sep 13 with 1624 viewsleitrimblue

Downes, who unfortunately didn't want to be here.
Chambers and Skuse, excellent professionals, unfortunately coming to the end of their careers.
KVY, good potential if he can rediscover his form from prior to his injuries.
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 13:10 - Sep 13 with 1509 viewsJ2BLUE

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 10:10 - Sep 13 by leitrimblue

Downes, who unfortunately didn't want to be here.
Chambers and Skuse, excellent professionals, unfortunately coming to the end of their careers.
KVY, good potential if he can rediscover his form from prior to his injuries.

So Downes should not have stayed then...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 13:24 - Sep 13 with 1480 viewsleitrimblue

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 13:10 - Sep 13 by J2BLUE

So Downes should not have stayed then...

No, not if he unfortunately didn't want to be here. So the answer in case yer struggling to crack the code was KVY
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 13:50 - Sep 13 with 1433 viewsjayessess

Harper and Evans haven't been an upgrade on Downes and Dozzell, but I don't think keeping either would've been feasible.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 13:51 - Sep 13 with 1425 viewsgordon

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 13:50 - Sep 13 by jayessess

Harper and Evans haven't been an upgrade on Downes and Dozzell, but I don't think keeping either would've been feasible.

They're not better than Bishop either...
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 13:53 - Sep 13 with 1418 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 13:51 - Sep 13 by gordon

They're not better than Bishop either...

Bishop and Cook did not get on one bit, pretty much from day one.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2021 14:06]
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 13:59 - Sep 13 with 1404 viewstimothyeo

Downes, Bishop, Andre
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 14:02 - Sep 13 with 1397 viewsitfcsuth

Downes was the only player who I thought would still be a good addition to this squad.

The rest, I think we have upgraded with.

That would indicate to me the transfer business has been very good.
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 18:54 - Sep 13 with 1254 viewsOldboy

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 09:46 - Sep 13 by galacticoblue

Yes that is true, but the struggle to name someone we should have kept has helped convince me that our dealings were pretty good and the right thing overall.

They were and are. Just need the manager to deliver results.
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 18:57 - Sep 13 with 1237 viewschrismakin

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 10:05 - Sep 13 by ITFC_96

Probably Wilson, our player of the season.

By default and rescued countless of times by Kenlock.

We are missing toto. Proper league 1 defender.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 20:47 - Sep 13 with 1161 viewsmonty_radio

The player of the year, one James Wilson, wouldn't have been amiss. Holy was more reliable, or, at least, less unreliable than what we've seen thus far.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 20:49 - Sep 13 with 1155 viewsreusersfreekicks

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 13:53 - Sep 13 by BlueBlueBluex2

Bishop and Cook did not get on one bit, pretty much from day one.
[Post edited 13 Sep 2021 14:06]

How do you know this?
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 20:59 - Sep 13 with 1135 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 20:49 - Sep 13 by reusersfreekicks

How do you know this?

I would rather not say, however you are free to believe or not, I do not mind.
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 21:04 - Sep 13 with 1126 viewspointofblue

To put in simply

Walton for Cornell
Hladky for Pryzbek
Coulson for Ward
Penney for Kenlock (still at club but not part of squad)
Edmundson for Wilson
Burgess for Chambers
Evans for Skuse
Morsy for Downes
Carroll for Harrop
Harper for Dozzell
Fraser for Bishop
Celina for Judge
Burns for G Edwards
K Edwards for Lankester
Aluko for Sears
Barry for Bennetts
Chaplin for Parrott
Bonne for Drinan
Pigott for Hawkins

Which would you prefer from each option?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 21:43 - Sep 13 with 1048 viewsWakh

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 18:57 - Sep 13 by chrismakin

By default and rescued countless of times by Kenlock.

We are missing toto. Proper league 1 defender.

Has been very good at Argylle by all accounts.
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 22:31 - Sep 13 with 981 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 21:04 - Sep 13 by pointofblue

To put in simply

Walton for Cornell
Hladky for Pryzbek
Coulson for Ward
Edmundson for Wilson
Burgess for Chambers
Evans for Skuse
Morsy for Downes
Carroll for Harrop
Harper for Dozzell
Fraser for Bishop
Celina for Judge
Burns for G Edwards
K Edwards for Lankester
Aluko for Sears
Barry for Bennetts
Chaplin for Parrott
Bonne for Drinan
Pigott for Hawkins

But that is on paper. What matters most is performances on the pitch.

The biggest issue is shape and tactics. Is that gelling or a deeper issue? Unfortunately, there are no signs of improvement. That is what worries me currently.

In terms of the squad:
Is Walton better than Cornell? Time will tell but Walton is only on loan and Cornell is considered good enough for the bench in the Championship by Peterborough at the moment.
Hladky was brought in as an upgrade on Holy so that is not a fair choice you make there. Is he better than Holy? Time will tell. Pryzbek was never anywhere near our first team.
Ward was solid in defence at the start of last season. I wouldn't have wanted to try to get another out of him, though, especially in a more attacking set up.
Penney is currently conceding a far higher ratio of goals than Kenlock did.
Edmundson as Penney.
Burgess as Chambers (who wasn't playing that position anyway so McGuinness is a fairer comparison - a Championship player now).
Evans is not playing well. Only improvement on last season's Skuse is availability at the moment.
Morsy and Downes have unavailability in common. Once we see him play then we can judge. However, I don't like the implication from Cook that our backbone depends on one player.
Attacking we are generally better. However, Celina for Judge is only an upgrade if he gets fit and on form. Several there are also yet to show whether they are any better than those former players were at this stage last season.

It is remarkable that one of the problems was our over-sized unmanageable squad and yet we seem to have replaced pretty much every player.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 22:43 - Sep 13 with 962 viewsEddyJ

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 21:04 - Sep 13 by pointofblue

To put in simply

Walton for Cornell
Hladky for Pryzbek
Coulson for Ward
Edmundson for Wilson
Burgess for Chambers
Evans for Skuse
Morsy for Downes
Carroll for Harrop
Harper for Dozzell
Fraser for Bishop
Celina for Judge
Burns for G Edwards
K Edwards for Lankester
Aluko for Sears
Barry for Bennetts
Chaplin for Parrott
Bonne for Drinan
Pigott for Hawkins

Preferred player in capitals. The only player from last year I would definitely prefer is Parrott, as Chaplin has looked like a lost smurf whenever he has played this season.

WALTON for Cornell
HLADKY for Pryzbek
COULSON for Ward
PENNEY for Kenlock (still at club but not part of squad)
Edmundson for Wilson - Jury still out
BURGESS for Chambers
EVANS for Skuse
Morsy for Downes - Jury still out
CARROLL for Dozzell
Fraser for Bishop - Jury still out
CELINA for Judge
BURNS for G Edwards
EDWARDS for Lankester
Aluko for Sears - Jury still out
Barry for Bennetts - Jury still out
Chaplin for PARROTT
BONNE for Drinan
PIGOTT for Hawkins
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 23:01 - Sep 13 with 923 viewsChurchman

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 13:59 - Sep 13 by timothyeo

Downes, Bishop, Andre

Downes wanted away a year ago. Bishop will always have fitness issues (I still would have kept him), Dozzell had a release clause.

Last years squad died like a louse in a Russian’s beard in the middle of the season. 6 home defeats in 8 games, played off the pitch, unfit and some of the 40+ players comfortably stealing a living at little old Ipswich. They are gone along with windbag Lambert and awful Evans - no tears from me.

Of the ones retained, Nolan should have been shown the door and I’m no fan of Norwood. He offers something but 20 games a season is poor and is currently not fit. What a surprise. The others, fine.

No, the issue is not letting them go. The issue is whether the replacements are as good as Ashton and Cook said they were and whether or not Cook can form a team. Hopefully they will start to show something next Saturday, but I’m not holding my breath.
To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 23:06 - Sep 13 with 916 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 22:43 - Sep 13 by EddyJ

Preferred player in capitals. The only player from last year I would definitely prefer is Parrott, as Chaplin has looked like a lost smurf whenever he has played this season.

WALTON for Cornell
HLADKY for Pryzbek
COULSON for Ward
PENNEY for Kenlock (still at club but not part of squad)
Edmundson for Wilson - Jury still out
BURGESS for Chambers
EVANS for Skuse
Morsy for Downes - Jury still out
CARROLL for Dozzell
Fraser for Bishop - Jury still out
CELINA for Judge
BURNS for G Edwards
EDWARDS for Lankester
Aluko for Sears - Jury still out
Barry for Bennetts - Jury still out
Chaplin for PARROTT
BONNE for Drinan
PIGOTT for Hawkins

Is Walton based on reputation or performance in a Town shirt?
Hadky should be being compared with Holy (see above).
Is that Ward as he would be or as he was at this stage last season?
I wonder what you have seen from Penney in a Town shirt so far.
Burgess should be being compared with McGuinness.
Is that Evans on performance in a Town shirt or reputation?
Carroll has done about as much as Dozzell - not more though.
Celina has no likely appearance date yet does he? How can he be better when he is not on the pitch?
Is that Edwards after 6 games last season or the Edwards we saw in the end?

I agree with Bonne and Pigott. They are actually an upgrade on the strikers we were playing too!

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 23:10 - Sep 13 with 903 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 23:01 - Sep 13 by Churchman

Downes wanted away a year ago. Bishop will always have fitness issues (I still would have kept him), Dozzell had a release clause.

Last years squad died like a louse in a Russian’s beard in the middle of the season. 6 home defeats in 8 games, played off the pitch, unfit and some of the 40+ players comfortably stealing a living at little old Ipswich. They are gone along with windbag Lambert and awful Evans - no tears from me.

Of the ones retained, Nolan should have been shown the door and I’m no fan of Norwood. He offers something but 20 games a season is poor and is currently not fit. What a surprise. The others, fine.

No, the issue is not letting them go. The issue is whether the replacements are as good as Ashton and Cook said they were and whether or not Cook can form a team. Hopefully they will start to show something next Saturday, but I’m not holding my breath.

Which is better? To die like a louse in a Russian's beard or never to show any sign of having life in the first place?

We have 0 wins in 6 league matches and only 3 points. We were played off the park at home by Bolton who were promoted from League 2 last season. We also failed to beat 2 of the other promoted sides, one of them bullied us to a defeat.

As you say, it is whether the new players can come to life that matters.

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 23:23 - Sep 13 with 867 viewsChurchman

To improve results, should have stayed from last years squad? on 23:10 - Sep 13 by Nthsuffolkblue

Which is better? To die like a louse in a Russian's beard or never to show any sign of having life in the first place?

We have 0 wins in 6 league matches and only 3 points. We were played off the park at home by Bolton who were promoted from League 2 last season. We also failed to beat 2 of the other promoted sides, one of them bullied us to a defeat.

As you say, it is whether the new players can come to life that matters.

The point is that if Cook and Ashton have recruited dross, that doesn’t mean last season’s heroes were anything but dreadful and shouldn’t have been binned. To say that is to say we should have kept PL because Cook is worse. That makes no sense.

This awful football club - one of the worst run in the league.in the past 20 years needed change or it would have died. It may well still die if the owners get cold feet (possibility after Cook’s laughable efforts) but there is a chance long term that we will see better days. I now doubt that will be with Cook or this season.

Unless there is massive improvement mid table will be an achievement. That’s abject, but where we are.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024