Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go 11:06 - Nov 21 with 10902 viewsN2_Blue

Signing a player like Chaplin and having him only play cameos in a side that has only one 6 games league games is criminal.

To be worse off at the same stage as last season with this squad is not good enough.

This isn't just on the back of Sunderland defeat which we didn't deserve but as a season overall it is so far short of where we need to be.

Again Cook failed in a game to change us to get a positive result. People say things have been getting better - 2 defeats in 15 before yesterday - but we don't string wins together and even the goals have completely dried up now.

It's just not good enough. Managers probably don't get enough time these days but stick with the wrong manager too long at a time we have our best chance ever of becoming upwardly mobile again could be disastrous. We cannot afford to be a mid league side and that's all we appear to be under Cook. The lack of consistency is alarming.

Fail to beat Rotherham on Tuesday and i think a significant proportion of the fan base will start to move towards Cook out just as we run in PackoutPR campaign of games.
Season is dangerously close to completely unravelling.

The last two months has done nothing for Town after the bad start, we are actually further away from the top, not closer! Very worrying.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 17:25 - Nov 21 with 840 viewsSawtrich

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 16:13 - Nov 21 by Oldboy

Perhaps I haven't put it over very well. I am and didn't say it is the players not performing, just that perhaps they are top 10 L1 players. Not sure that makes much sense, but hope you understand what I mean. An upgrade on last squad, but perhaps not the upgrade we hoped.
Cook has to do better, no doubting that, just give him the time to add a bit more quality to this squad. We are not far off, but more quality needed.
Just a quick point. To say it is the best squad in the league by any measure simply isn't true. There are better defences, better midfields than ours.
You are right that Cook should be able to get better out of this squad, but I don't think it is the best.

If this isn't the best squad in the league then it certainly should be given the budget Cook was given. We've got players in from the Championship and outbid Championship clubs for others.
I'm not saying we should get rid of Cook but he has to be on thin ice. We have a dilemma, a lot of these players came here for Cook but there's no doubt we're under achieving relative to budget.
Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:25 - Nov 21 with 840 viewsN2_Blue

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:17 - Nov 21 by unstableblue

Of course it’s about points (and entertainment)

And we need to be gaining 2 points a game to match the improving performances

But the simple question is this are we improving? Yes. Are we on a trajectory to start gaining 2 points - it looks that way

Question is how patient do you want to be?

well i admire your optimism but i think its very much misplaced.

Averaging 2 points a game...absolutely no chance currently, i just don't see it, i think its fantasy land.

We can't even win games playing half ok, we are easy to play against, every oppo manager knows exactly what we 'll be because Cook won't ever change anything

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:32 - Nov 21 with 790 viewsgtsb1966

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:17 - Nov 21 by unstableblue

But the simple question is this are we improving? Yes. Are we on a trajectory to start gaining 2 points - it looks that way

No we are not improving. If we were we would've got more than 1 point from the last two games. Two upfront yesterday would get us a win and it's not just about yesterday. Cook can't see it.
Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:38 - Nov 21 with 765 viewsKeaneish

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:25 - Nov 21 by N2_Blue

Averaging 2 points a game...absolutely no chance currently, i just don't see it, i think its fantasy land.

We can't even win games playing half ok, we are easy to play against, every oppo manager knows exactly what we 'll be because Cook won't ever change anything

...it's really not fantasy land. We need 2 ppg since Cambridge and its gone like this since then:

D: Cambridge = 1 ppg
W: Portsmouth = 2 ppg
W: Fleetwood = 2.33 ppg
L: Plymouth = 1.75 ppg
W: Wycombe = 2 ppg
D: Oxford = 1.83 ppg
L: Sunderland = 1.57 ppg

It'll fluctuate. Big game against Rotherham and a win needed to get this back to 1.75 ppg and then you'd expect the Crewe game to be a formality to get us to 1.88 ppg. Beat Rotherham and by the time we head to Charlton, we'll have the opportunity to be back on track. Rotherham is a big night for us, no doubt.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:41 - Nov 21 with 755 viewsjayessess

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:25 - Nov 21 by N2_Blue

"Absolutely no chance". We did it for the 10 games prior to Oxford, it's hardly an impossible standard to reach!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

When Cook took over..... on 17:42 - Nov 21 with 754 viewsBloots

....we were 7th in the league.

We were averaging 1.67 points per game.

Today we are 10th in the league, averaging 1.33 points per game.

If you count making us "really, really crap" and then making us just "crap" as "improving" then you are correct.

Otherwise you are wrong.

(you are wrong)

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:43 - Nov 21 with 749 viewsgazzer1999

20 years and counting is how patient this great set of supporters are. We were fed the narrative by Cook when he came and again the start of the season and where do we find ourselves? worse off than when Lambert was here. It's the hope that kills, but patience we have all had it for 20 years.
So what you are saying is..... on 17:49 - Nov 21 with 733 viewsBloots

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:38 - Nov 21 by Keaneish

...it's really not fantasy land. We need 2 ppg since Cambridge and its gone like this since then:

It'll fluctuate. Big game against Rotherham and a win needed to get this back to 1.75 ppg and then you'd expect the Crewe game to be a formality to get us to 1.88 ppg. Beat Rotherham and by the time we head to Charlton, we'll have the opportunity to be back on track. Rotherham is a big night for us, no doubt.

....if we win loads of matches we'll get into the playoffs.

If we carry on as we are, or get worse, then we won't.

Thanks for that.

Login to get fewer ads

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:54 - Nov 21 with 714 viewsDarth_Koont

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:41 - Nov 21 by jayessess

"Absolutely no chance". We did it for the 10 games prior to Oxford, it's hardly an impossible standard to reach!

Indeed.

I’m pretty sure half the people on here would be making half as pessimistic the judgements if we’d won yesterday (as we should have done).

That wouldn’t change that we’ve still got to make up ground after a poor start, or that we’d have to follow it up on Tuesday. But it seems that there are a few who are looking for any chance to put the boot in.

Cook and the team didn’t deserve that after yesterday or indeed after the general improvement in the side since that bad start.

Let’s enjoy a side that is upwardly mobile for a change. Even with a lot of room for improvement still, particularly consistency.

Pronouns: He/Him

POST OF THE DAY on 17:55 - Nov 21 with 708 viewsunstableblue

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:38 - Nov 21 by Keaneish

Such an interesting point of view

And of course what everyone is missing:

Since the Wycombe performance in the league - which was the best in our recent history - the opposition are very wary of us… Oxford went for sh!thousery to stop us and Sunderland (top six, promotion rival, at home) put six behind the ball all afternoon

So we’ve solidified the defence, now we need some more ideas up front to tackle the fear in the opposition

But as you say… talks is cheap we need results

Beat Rotherham and it would be a statement

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:58 - Nov 21 with 697 viewsN2_Blue

come back to me after those 3 games and we'll see how on track 2ppg is.

I expect we may be lower than 1.57. I predict 4 from the next 9 available, which would be typical inconsistent Town

When Cook took over..... on 17:59 - Nov 21 with 694 viewsDarth_Koont

When Cook took over..... on 17:42 - Nov 21 by Bloots

....we were 7th in the league.

We were averaging 1.67 points per game.

Today we are 10th in the league, averaging 1.33 points per game.

If you count making us "really, really crap" and then making us just "crap" as "improving" then you are correct.

Otherwise you are wrong.

(you are wrong)

We might as well start bringing in Cook’s record with Wigan before that. After all that was a different team and club too.

We’ve had 20 years of overly high and short-term expectations coupled with inevitable disappointment, and seemingly haven’t learnt anything.

Pronouns: He/Him

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 18:03 - Nov 21 with 677 viewsbilllm

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:46 - Nov 21 by itfcjoe

We can’t now start claiming the squad isn’t as good as we think it is just because the managers doing rubbish.

This is what the fans do just do justify his position - it’s the best squad in the league by any measure, it’s better than last years by any measure and the manager is massively failing with it.

This is a hand picked squad of the best players available / if Cook can’t get it right someone else will

Correct Joe,this squad is far better than anything in this league, football is a simple game, Cook's lack of adaptability makes it hard for us when we hit a brick wall with his rigid formation,all this gelling rubbish there professionals,Our poor start Cook's ladish motivation is clearly at his door, We should be top two or clearly top six easily, he needs a good run starting Tuesday or he should go,
Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 18:05 - Nov 21 with 675 viewsitfcjoe

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:43 - Nov 21 by gazzer1999

20 years and counting is how patient this great set of supporters are. We were fed the narrative by Cook when he came and again the start of the season and where do we find ourselves? worse off than when Lambert was here. It's the hope that kills, but patience we have all had it for 20 years.

I hate this talk of patience, this fan base deserves so much more than it is getting and has done for some time. The fan numbers are great this season, but they were under Lambert too (pre covid).

We deserve so much better, I don’t understand why everyone is so fixated on Cook - so what if he isn’t the right manager and has to go it’s Ipswich Town FC and not Paul Cook FC, he certainly doesn’t appear to be the messiah

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This isn't a different club though.... on 18:06 - Nov 21 with 669 viewsBloots

When Cook took over..... on 17:59 - Nov 21 by Darth_Koont

We might as well start bringing in Cook’s record with Wigan before that. After all that was a different team and club too.

We’ve had 20 years of overly high and short-term expectations coupled with inevitable disappointment, and seemingly haven’t learnt anything.

....so, as is often the case, your point is invalid.

It's not complicated.

1. Our club was at a certain position in the league.
2. Cook took over.
3. He made a lot of changes.
4. We are now at a lower position in the league.

That is not an improvement.

Wigan has nothing to do with it.

I mean, it's probably the worst post of the day, but yeah OK. (n/t) on 18:07 - Nov 21 with 653 viewsBloots

POST OF THE DAY on 17:55 - Nov 21 by unstableblue

Such an interesting point of view

And of course what everyone is missing:

Since the Wycombe performance in the league - which was the best in our recent history - the opposition are very wary of us… Oxford went for sh!thousery to stop us and Sunderland (top six, promotion rival, at home) put six behind the ball all afternoon

So we’ve solidified the defence, now we need some more ideas up front to tackle the fear in the opposition

But as you say… talks is cheap we need results

Beat Rotherham and it would be a statement

When Cook took over..... on 18:08 - Nov 21 with 650 viewsMullet

We’ve seen the club relegated because of them. We’ve seen the club spend heavily on a manager and since then a manager and a squad.

Being in league one is not acceptable. Being in league one after this summer, only underlines that. Promotion isn’t really unreasonable expectation, to not be close to even the lottery of playoffs is beyond reproach.

Cook knows that. Pretending otherwise is simply harmful. The least he can do is get us there if hd has any intention of staying here.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 18:17]

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 18:09 - Nov 21 with 635 viewsgtsb1966

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 18:05 - Nov 21 by itfcjoe

I hate this talk of patience, this fan base deserves so much more than it is getting and has done for some time. The fan numbers are great this season, but they were under Lambert too (pre covid).

We deserve so much better, I don’t understand why everyone is so fixated on Cook - so what if he isn’t the right manager and has to go it’s Ipswich Town FC and not Paul Cook FC, he certainly doesn’t appear to be the messiah

Some of us aren't. Cook has failed.
When Cook took over..... on 18:12 - Nov 21 with 623 viewsitfcjoe

Overly high expectations whilst people are talking about a rebuilding season as our 3rd in the 3rd tier…..

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 18:13 - Nov 21 with 612 viewspositivity

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 18:09 - Nov 21 by gtsb1966

Some of us aren't. Cook has failed.

you don't get to fail (or succeed) in november!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

You are correct..... on 18:16 - Nov 21 with 588 viewsBloots

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 18:13 - Nov 21 by positivity

you don't get to fail (or succeed) in november!

.....but he is currently "failing".

The question is should we carry on persisting with him in the hope that he turns it around, or do we wait until he has actually failed before we get rid?

You are correct..... on 18:19 - Nov 21 with 582 viewspositivity

You are correct..... on 18:16 - Nov 21 by Bloots

.....but he is currently "failing".

The question is should we carry on persisting with him in the hope that he turns it around, or do we wait until he has actually failed before we get rid?

define failing? is it "losing away at sunderland despite outplaying them"?

the answer to your quetion is we persist with him in the hope that he continues to turn it around

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Ha ha on 18:22 - Nov 21 with 579 viewsunstableblue

I mean, it's probably the worst post of the day, but yeah OK. (n/t) on 18:07 - Nov 21 by Bloots

Do you think the MK Dons fans are crying about their 1.82 ppg?!

But to be honest we could be 10 points clear at the top and you’d be moaning

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 18:22 - Nov 21 with 576 viewsArnieM

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:36 - Nov 21 by chrismakin

By this time last year, Blackpool had won 5 out of 6 games by december 5th theyd won 8 out of 9

Also, they currently sit 10th in the champ after signing just 6 players, so there squad couldn't have been that bad....

we can't even get a run of 3 games going.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 11:39]

“ their squad couldn’t have been that bad”….. “ they signed just 6 players”

EXACTLY….. they were a settled squad by and large , who had a bad start but recovered in latter half of season and got promoted .

By comparison we are a completely NEW SQUAD, and this squad is half decent by league one standards . We also have had a slow start (first 8 games, many of which most in here acknowledge we should have won).

We are not even at the half way stage yet .

So there’s every reason that this squad still has time to do it. Given Blackpool’s situation with a settled squad managed it . So it’s not impossible.

But it seems the rules have been changed this season . Gongs are handed out after 17 games not 40 odd).

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 18:23 - Nov 21 with 578 viewsWhos_blue

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:32 - Nov 21 by gtsb1966

No we are not improving. If we were we would've got more than 1 point from the last two games. Two upfront yesterday would get us a win and it's not just about yesterday. Cook can't see it.

I don't think anyone here is content with our league position, but I just don't understand this clamour for 2 up front. This is the same team and formation that beat a very good Wycombe team with 1 up front.
There is no way we can ever know that 2 up front would have secured a win against Sunderland. If Celina had put away his chances, playing 1 up front wouldn't even be a discussion point.
Also, to play an extra striker up front would leave us short elsewhere. I do understand people might want some flexibility in our game management, but PC has a way and as far as I'm aware it's a way that has generally provided success elsewhere and he seems set on that way of playing.
I suppose it's then a personal choice of whether we invest in it or not.
After a decade of dross, I'm just glad to be able to believe in my club again and that's not just about what happens on the pitch.
Back to your comment that PC can't see it. Of course he can. He's a professional manager and a professional footballer before that. He will know more about the game than any of us who haven't had a 20+ year career in professional football. It's up to us to decide if we agree with him or not. You don't. I do. That's football.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024