Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go 11:06 - Nov 21 with 11073 viewsN2_Blue

Signing a player like Chaplin and having him only play cameos in a side that has only one 6 games league games is criminal.

To be worse off at the same stage as last season with this squad is not good enough.

This isn't just on the back of Sunderland defeat which we didn't deserve but as a season overall it is so far short of where we need to be.

Again Cook failed in a game to change us to get a positive result. People say things have been getting better - 2 defeats in 15 before yesterday - but we don't string wins together and even the goals have completely dried up now.

It's just not good enough. Managers probably don't get enough time these days but stick with the wrong manager too long at a time we have our best chance ever of becoming upwardly mobile again could be disastrous. We cannot afford to be a mid league side and that's all we appear to be under Cook. The lack of consistency is alarming.

Fail to beat Rotherham on Tuesday and i think a significant proportion of the fan base will start to move towards Cook out just as we run in PackoutPR campaign of games.
Season is dangerously close to completely unravelling.

The last two months has done nothing for Town after the bad start, we are actually further away from the top, not closer! Very worrying.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 14:39 - Nov 21 with 1337 viewsistanblue

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:21 - Nov 21 by N2_Blue

yes i think we are, and whilst only the top 6 is now attainable this season it's pretty shocking that we are scrambling around trying to be consistent enough just to keep pace with the top 6.

We should be one of the best sides in the divisions with this group of players...but we are not, we are not even the 6th or 8th best side currently with this manager.

I know my post is going to get plenty of down votes but I really don't think Cook has shown anything remarkable in his tenure here. I think many managers with this group of players at their disposal would be achieving considerably more and that is the issue for me.

Spot on. 'Fans' defending Cook's record need to give their heads a wobble. A 30% win percentage is nowhere near good enough for ITFC in League 1. Our longest winning streak is 2 GAMES! How anyone can objectively look at where we are and say ''we're moving in the right direction'' is mindboggling. Also, you're absolutely right to mention the fact that standards have dropped considerably since the start of the season - in pre-season most fans' target was top 2, then after the poor start it became top 6, now some are saying ''it's a 2 year project''. Utterly laughable and pathetic at times.
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 14:48 - Nov 21 with 1318 viewsgtsb1966

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 14:39 - Nov 21 by istanblue

Spot on. 'Fans' defending Cook's record need to give their heads a wobble. A 30% win percentage is nowhere near good enough for ITFC in League 1. Our longest winning streak is 2 GAMES! How anyone can objectively look at where we are and say ''we're moving in the right direction'' is mindboggling. Also, you're absolutely right to mention the fact that standards have dropped considerably since the start of the season - in pre-season most fans' target was top 2, then after the poor start it became top 6, now some are saying ''it's a 2 year project''. Utterly laughable and pathetic at times.

Spot on.
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 14:59 - Nov 21 with 1293 viewsN2_Blue

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 14:39 - Nov 21 by istanblue

Completely agree.

Braveblue says look only lost 3 in 15.

But continue that form for the remainder of the season won't even get us in the top 6.

It's not actually particularly good form, how many wins? Not enough for a squad with the ability it has.

I really don't get fans backing up Cook on the back of 3 defeats in 15. What is so good about that, especially when it includes 3 games v L2 opposition.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:01 - Nov 21 with 1292 viewsitfcjoe

I think we exhaust it a bit further, because plan A has to be Cook turning it round - but if by the time of pack out PR we are still basically 10 points (or more) away from the play offs then the owners should spend their time over here lining up the next manager to get a chance to have a look at things ahead of the January window

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 15:08 - Nov 21 with 1262 viewsunstableblue

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:10 - Nov 21 with 1259 viewsDubtractor

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:01 - Nov 21 by itfcjoe

I think we exhaust it a bit further, because plan A has to be Cook turning it round - but if by the time of pack out PR we are still basically 10 points (or more) away from the play offs then the owners should spend their time over here lining up the next manager to get a chance to have a look at things ahead of the January window

This is where I am.

Of course we should be doing better, and the lack of ability to go on a proper run is massively frustrating, especially when we look at some many games and feel we should have got more from them, but there is zero chance that Cook is getting sacked in the near future so I'm not sure why people are talking about it. Our general form over the last couple months is OK, so lets see where it goes from here.

Equally, I'm astonished at the naivety of some posters here talking about 2 years to judge Cook because the owners have given a few sound bites about this being a long term project. I will be staggered if Cook is still here at the end of the season if we don't either go up, or go really close to going up. And I would fully expect him to be gone well before the end of the season unless we start to really eat up the ground to the top teams soon.

Put simply, the funding and player signings this year are about trying to get us out of the division as soon as possible. Us signing the likes of Celina, Bonne, Morsy, Walton etc will be budget busters that can't be sustained for too long, and they will have been signed with the expectation (and not hope) that they will elevate us above the pack.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:14 - Nov 21 with 1241 viewsN2_Blue

yep, i think that's fair.

I desperately wanted Cook to succeed. And i can also see how it's not good for the club if we replace the manager who has put together a squad that has come to play for Cook, but we can't just let him underperform and not have us competitive. By competitive i mean a top 6 team in the third tier of English football, that really shouldn't be a big ask with the budget at his disposal.

I think he should go based on current performance but will give him one final run of games before i get vocal at games about it. I hope owners are sounding out replacements ahead of Jan window on the expectation it doesn't really improve.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:21 - Nov 21 with 1225 viewsunstableblue

Bit of a poisoned chalice there Joe if that’s the right term

Rotherham (h)
Crewe (a)
Wigan (a)
Charlton (a)

If we’re still 7 points off sixth (ignoring games played) come Sunderland home game we’ll have done bloody well

We were great yesterday for most of the game Joe, really promising and strong display. Looked a completely different level to Sunderland. We’ll need that and goals Tuesday.

But yes when you look at the table, especially those games in hand, we’re moving into a crucial period for Cook and the project.

Login to get fewer ads

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:22 - Nov 21 with 1210 viewsMullet

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:10 - Nov 21 by Dubtractor

This is where I am.

Of course we should be doing better, and the lack of ability to go on a proper run is massively frustrating, especially when we look at some many games and feel we should have got more from them, but there is zero chance that Cook is getting sacked in the near future so I'm not sure why people are talking about it. Our general form over the last couple months is OK, so lets see where it goes from here.

Equally, I'm astonished at the naivety of some posters here talking about 2 years to judge Cook because the owners have given a few sound bites about this being a long term project. I will be staggered if Cook is still here at the end of the season if we don't either go up, or go really close to going up. And I would fully expect him to be gone well before the end of the season unless we start to really eat up the ground to the top teams soon.

Put simply, the funding and player signings this year are about trying to get us out of the division as soon as possible. Us signing the likes of Celina, Bonne, Morsy, Walton etc will be budget busters that can't be sustained for too long, and they will have been signed with the expectation (and not hope) that they will elevate us above the pack.

You’re using facts and sense there, not sure if that’s cheating or not!

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:25 - Nov 21 with 1204 viewsJDB23

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 14:28 - Nov 21 by braveblue

Good owners, good chief exec, manager with great track record, further investment coming, team improving without a doubt, far bigger crowds. Hope no one involved reads this or similar posts. So negative. Lost 3 in 15 - sack the manager. Laughable.

3 losses in 15 doesn’t really mean a lot given the position we are in. You can have 0 losses in 46 and technically still be relegated. We need wins against teams who are above us if we have any hope of promotion and those are few and far between this season. It’s another season that is slowly drifting away from us but because we scored 6 against a pub team the fans are ecstatic.
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:32 - Nov 21 with 1197 viewsDarkHorse

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 12:03 - Nov 21 by Ftnfwest

Good timing, then we can get someone else in, rebuild and if they fail sack them by the end of this season, then rebuild again in the summer with someone else.

No, we have the foundations in place now, so we get someone competent whose brief is to work with and develop what we have, which is more than enough to get out of this league. A proper manager, like Mick, not another fraud like all the other Evans hires.
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:33 - Nov 21 with 1190 viewsOldboy

This is where I am.
I think our squad is good enough for L1.
I think we were hoping that our new squad was easily the best in the league, when in fact it is a L1 squad. Yes we have some better than L1 players, Bonne, Morsy and Chaplin, but ultimately it is a L1 squad. Think that because on paper they were so much better than we had had, some, me included, thought we would be top 6 easy. As it turns out, yes, we have a much better squad, but still a L1 squad.
We don't need another mass clear out, but anyone coming in needs to be of Championship quality. Obvious I know, but this squad ain't as good as many think it is.
We have just caught up with the top half of this league. Know we need to go to the next level in our recruitment.
Like I say, the squad doesn't need a lot of work, just a bit more quality added.
That's what I think anyway.
Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 15:36 - Nov 21 with 1182 viewsN2_Blue

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 15:08 - Nov 21 by unstableblue

Why?

This is not about one game?

Yes we should have won yesterday, but we didn't. In isolation that is not a problem but because we have lost numerous games where we have been poor, good performances with zero points are no good for this manager.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:46 - Nov 21 with 1151 viewsitfcjoe

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:33 - Nov 21 by Oldboy

This is where I am.
I think our squad is good enough for L1.
I think we were hoping that our new squad was easily the best in the league, when in fact it is a L1 squad. Yes we have some better than L1 players, Bonne, Morsy and Chaplin, but ultimately it is a L1 squad. Think that because on paper they were so much better than we had had, some, me included, thought we would be top 6 easy. As it turns out, yes, we have a much better squad, but still a L1 squad.
We don't need another mass clear out, but anyone coming in needs to be of Championship quality. Obvious I know, but this squad ain't as good as many think it is.
We have just caught up with the top half of this league. Know we need to go to the next level in our recruitment.
Like I say, the squad doesn't need a lot of work, just a bit more quality added.
That's what I think anyway.

We can’t now start claiming the squad isn’t as good as we think it is just because the managers doing rubbish.

This is what the fans do just do justify his position - it’s the best squad in the league by any measure, it’s better than last years by any measure and the manager is massively failing with it.

This is a hand picked squad of the best players available / if Cook can’t get it right someone else will

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:51 - Nov 21 with 1131 viewsMullet

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:46 - Nov 21 by itfcjoe

We can’t now start claiming the squad isn’t as good as we think it is just because the managers doing rubbish.

This is what the fans do just do justify his position - it’s the best squad in the league by any measure, it’s better than last years by any measure and the manager is massively failing with it.

This is a hand picked squad of the best players available / if Cook can’t get it right someone else will

It was the players last year too don’t forget….

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 15:54 - Nov 21 with 1129 viewsDarth_Koont

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 15:36 - Nov 21 by N2_Blue

Why?

Yes we should have won yesterday, but we didn't. In isolation that is not a problem but because we have lost numerous games where we have been poor, good performances with zero points are no good for this manager.

Although you are taking this game in isolation. I can’t think of any other game this season where we deserved 3 points and got 0.

There’s no pattern here, beyond that we generally have been getting the points our performances deserve. And that’s why our overall performances and results have generally improved from the start of the season.

Pronouns: He/Him

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 16:02 - Nov 21 with 1102 viewsjayessess

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:21 - Nov 21 by unstableblue

Rotherham (h)
Crewe (a)
Wigan (a)
Charlton (a)

If we’re still 7 points off sixth (ignoring games played) come Sunderland home game we’ll have done bloody well

We were great yesterday for most of the game Joe, really promising and strong display. Looked a completely different level to Sunderland. We’ll need that and goals Tuesday.

But yes when you look at the table, especially those games in hand, we’re moving into a crucial period for Cook and the project.

Crewe is at Home.

It's a relatively tricky run for the division, but... you've gotta ask what the nature of the project is here, if not paying the best manager, recruiting the best players and ultimately being the best in the division?

The plan is that at some point we go through a run of games like this and play like potential title-winners, surely.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 16:03 - Nov 21 with 1099 viewsHerbivore

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 14:28 - Nov 21 by braveblue

Good owners, good chief exec, manager with great track record, further investment coming, team improving without a doubt, far bigger crowds. Hope no one involved reads this or similar posts. So negative. Lost 3 in 15 - sack the manager. Laughable.

The team has improved since a disastrous opening 6 games but it's hard to claim we're improving currently when we're sat 9th in the current form table.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 16:09 - Nov 21 with 1076 viewsDarth_Koont

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 16:02 - Nov 21 by jayessess

Crewe is at Home.

It's a relatively tricky run for the division, but... you've gotta ask what the nature of the project is here, if not paying the best manager, recruiting the best players and ultimately being the best in the division?

The plan is that at some point we go through a run of games like this and play like potential title-winners, surely.

That’s got to be the plan, I agree.

We’re getting better – we weren’t close to anything like the performances away to Portsmouth and Wycombe 2 months ago – but we need to be more consistent. And I think our lack of a run is what’s holding us back compared to those ahead of us. Not just a lot more points in one go but the opportunity to settle and really feel the benefits of getting some momentum.

It’s been 2 steps forward 1 back even with a much better overall record since Bolton. If we can get past that stuttery quality in our performances and our progress then we’ll be much more of a force.

Pronouns: He/Him

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 16:12 - Nov 21 with 1067 viewsKropotkin123

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:21 - Nov 21 by chrismakin

I don't think its Stubborness, maybe he simply doesn't know how to.

His whole management career has been 4 2 3 1, plan A. That's it.

Actually he had 442 as plan B elsewhere. I think part of not introducing a plan B is how long it took players to get plan A. So probably focusing on that more in training, before introducing other systems.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 16:13 - Nov 21 with 1065 viewsOldboy

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:46 - Nov 21 by itfcjoe

Perhaps I haven't put it over very well. I am and didn't say it is the players not performing, just that perhaps they are top 10 L1 players. Not sure that makes much sense, but hope you understand what I mean. An upgrade on last squad, but perhaps not the upgrade we hoped.
Cook has to do better, no doubting that, just give him the time to add a bit more quality to this squad. We are not far off, but more quality needed.
Just a quick point. To say it is the best squad in the league by any measure simply isn't true. There are better defences, better midfields than ours.
You are right that Cook should be able to get better out of this squad, but I don't think it is the best.
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 16:17 - Nov 21 with 1048 viewsitfcjoe

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 15:21 - Nov 21 by unstableblue

Rotherham (h)
Crewe (a)
Wigan (a)
Charlton (a)

The fact he needs to get those points in tough games is because he hasn’t in easier ones.

If we end up at something like 28-29 points after 22 games then there is so much to do in second half of the season. There can’t be another excuse as expectations get talked down around every corner or we end up nowhere

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:08 - Nov 21 with 963 viewsunstableblue

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 15:36 - Nov 21 by N2_Blue

Why?

When was the last league game Ipswich were poor?

Cambridge second half

Look if cook doesn’t turn good performances into results his position in time becomes untenable

But surely the board reaction at present should be “we have improved, we are playing good stuff, but I’m concerned on results” not “cook out now”

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:13 - Nov 21 with 948 viewsgtsb1966

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:08 - Nov 21 by unstableblue

When was the last league game Ipswich were poor?

Cambridge second half

Look if cook doesn’t turn good performances into results his position in time becomes untenable

But surely the board reaction at present should be “we have improved, we are playing good stuff, but I’m concerned on results” not “cook out now”

It's about winning and not four points every three games on average which is piss poor.
Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:17 - Nov 21 with 941 viewsunstableblue

Watch the extended highlights of yesterday (10mins) then come back to me (n/t) on 17:13 - Nov 21 by gtsb1966

It's about winning and not four points every three games on average which is piss poor.

Of course it’s about points (and entertainment)

And we need to be gaining 2 points a game to match the improving performances

But the simple question is this are we improving? Yes. Are we on a trajectory to start gaining 2 points - it looks that way

Question is how patient do you want to be?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024