Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go 11:06 - Nov 21 with 11079 viewsN2_Blue

Signing a player like Chaplin and having him only play cameos in a side that has only one 6 games league games is criminal.

To be worse off at the same stage as last season with this squad is not good enough.

This isn't just on the back of Sunderland defeat which we didn't deserve but as a season overall it is so far short of where we need to be.

Again Cook failed in a game to change us to get a positive result. People say things have been getting better - 2 defeats in 15 before yesterday - but we don't string wins together and even the goals have completely dried up now.

It's just not good enough. Managers probably don't get enough time these days but stick with the wrong manager too long at a time we have our best chance ever of becoming upwardly mobile again could be disastrous. We cannot afford to be a mid league side and that's all we appear to be under Cook. The lack of consistency is alarming.

Fail to beat Rotherham on Tuesday and i think a significant proportion of the fan base will start to move towards Cook out just as we run in PackoutPR campaign of games.
Season is dangerously close to completely unravelling.

The last two months has done nothing for Town after the bad start, we are actually further away from the top, not closer! Very worrying.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

We have declined..... on 23:23 - Nov 21 with 1391 viewsHerbivore

We have declined..... on 23:14 - Nov 21 by Darth_Koont

I’m just taking the realistic and wider view. 😀

You stick to roping in last season to help you out.

My oh my, I like that in the same post you both claim to be taking a wider view whilst simultaneously refusing to consider nearly half of Cook's time in charge in your assessment. Delicious.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

He's not moving us "upwards" though..... on 23:24 - Nov 21 with 1393 viewspositivity

He's not moving us "upwards" though..... on 23:18 - Nov 21 by Herbivore

We'll end up missing out on the play offs if all we manage is to maintain the form we've shown post-Bolton. We're not tearing it up the way some of you seem to think we are.

we were a celina miss away from 2 points per game, which would be plenty enough.

the opponents ppg feature on this form table shows what we've been up against in the last 6 games, comfortably harder than our rivals, i think we're still improving.

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england3

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

He's not moving us "upwards" though..... on 23:25 - Nov 21 with 1382 viewsHerbivore

He's not moving us "upwards" though..... on 23:24 - Nov 21 by positivity

we were a celina miss away from 2 points per game, which would be plenty enough.

the opponents ppg feature on this form table shows what we've been up against in the last 6 games, comfortably harder than our rivals, i think we're still improving.

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtable.asp?league=england3

I'm dealing in our actual results, not on what I think our results could or should have been. Sadly we don't get any points for the latter.

We have declined..... on 23:34 - Nov 21 with 1365 viewsDarth_Koont

We have declined..... on 23:23 - Nov 21 by Herbivore

My oh my, I like that in the same post you both claim to be taking a wider view whilst simultaneously refusing to consider nearly half of Cook's time in charge in your assessment. Delicious.

I think it’s pretty irrelevant to the here and now, yes.

Our poor start to this season is definitely relevant. As it has a bearing on what we now need to do. Equally, it’s also indicative of how the team has improved.

Enjoy it and enjoy the process rather than some arbitrary measure in your own mind.

Pronouns: He/Him

We have declined..... on 23:38 - Nov 21 with 1354 viewsHerbivore

We have declined..... on 23:34 - Nov 21 by Darth_Koont

I think it’s pretty irrelevant to the here and now, yes.

Our poor start to this season is definitely relevant. As it has a bearing on what we now need to do. Equally, it’s also indicative of how the team has improved.

Enjoy it and enjoy the process rather than some arbitrary measure in your own mind.

It's hard to enjoy being midtable in the third division. I didn't much enjoy it under Lambert either.

We have declined..... on 23:40 - Nov 21 with 1348 viewsDarth_Koont

We have declined..... on 23:38 - Nov 21 by Herbivore

It's hard to enjoy being midtable in the third division. I didn't much enjoy it under Lambert either.

It’s a good job that can change.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 00:35 - Nov 22 with 1305 viewsBondiBlue

I've softened on my 'cook out' sentiments 5 minutes after the final whistle at cambridge. Wycombe away was brilliant and we're looking far more solid and consistent now 4 of the back 5 appear to be nailed-on starters and morsy's imposing himself. He definitely gets a full season for me.

Poll: Which would you accept?

We have declined..... on 01:34 - Nov 22 with 1265 viewsMach_foreignBlue

We have declined..... on 23:38 - Nov 21 by Herbivore

You may have not enjoyed it under Lambert. That doesn't stop you though from keep venerating the certain ones. The proper blokes. The Untouchable Ones.

But it was all the managers' fault. Not The Untouchable Ones wasn't it?
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 1:38]
Login to get fewer ads

We have declined..... on 07:28 - Nov 22 with 1216 viewsHerbivore

We have declined..... on 01:34 - Nov 22 by Mach_foreignBlue

You may have not enjoyed it under Lambert. That doesn't stop you though from keep venerating the certain ones. The proper blokes. The Untouchable Ones.

But it was all the managers' fault. Not The Untouchable Ones wasn't it?
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 1:38]

Good to see you're not still obsessing over former players associated with a manager who left the club nearly 4 years ago.

When Cook took over..... on 07:31 - Nov 22 with 1215 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

When Cook took over..... on 17:59 - Nov 21 by Darth_Koont

We might as well start bringing in Cook’s record with Wigan before that. After all that was a different team and club too.

We’ve had 20 years of overly high and short-term expectations coupled with inevitable disappointment, and seemingly haven’t learnt anything.

‘We’ve had 20 years of overly high and short-term expectations’

Wtf? Our permanent managers over the last 20 years (exc Cook) have averaged 31 months in charge. This must be one of the highest in the country despite us being largely cr*p for most of that period

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

When Cook took over..... on 07:35 - Nov 22 with 1203 viewsDubtractor

When Cook took over..... on 07:31 - Nov 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Wtf? Our permanent managers over the last 20 years (exc Cook) have averaged 31 months in charge. This must be one of the highest in the country despite us being largely cr*p for most of that period

I'm also loving the banter that ITFC fans have had overly high expectations over recent times.

We're packing out the stadium for mid table league one football right now. We'll take almost anything other than being crap and be quite happy with it ffs.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

When Cook took over..... on 07:38 - Nov 22 with 1196 viewsHerbivore

When Cook took over..... on 07:35 - Nov 22 by Dubtractor

I'm also loving the banter that ITFC fans have had overly high expectations over recent times.

We're packing out the stadium for mid table league one football right now. We'll take almost anything other than being crap and be quite happy with it ffs.

Some of the revisionism from our fans lately has been quite staggering.

When Cook took over..... on 07:46 - Nov 22 with 1189 viewsDarth_Koont

When Cook took over..... on 07:31 - Nov 22 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’m not talking about how Evans saw it. I’m talking about the fans and particularly the debates on this forum.

That may well be fans everywhere but hearing people talk about us getting promotion at the first attempt as the minimum expectation, it feels like many of us still haven’t learnt anything after 20 years.

A bit more of a sense of reality and the bigger picture of where we actually want to be over the next 4 or 5 years wouldn’t go amiss. We’ve literally just changed everything about the club and the squad but that’s seen as an easy shortcut!? Wtf indeed.

When Cook took over..... on 08:13 - Nov 22 with 1145 viewsDarth_Koont

When Cook took over..... on 07:35 - Nov 22 by Dubtractor

Maybe that didn’t come across exactly as I meant it. I don’t think anybody is wrong to want more for the club over the past 20 years. And we should expect more than we got.

But it seems like we’re still way too attached to short-term measures and “flick the switch” solutions. Ultimately that did for McCarthy when it was clear that a bottom 6 budget was the real context. It saw people welcome relegation as an opportunity to just bounce back stronger. And now we’re seeing people blithely talk about promotion as the only expectation this year. Which club or clubs are we even comparing ourselves with to come up with that?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:10 - Nov 22 with 1084 viewsDavoIPB

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 22:26 - Nov 21 by unstableblue

I really don’t think many people on this board today were at Sunderland

No way you’d have this reaction if you’d actually watched how we played, no way

Agree. I can't believe people are calling for Paul Cook to be sacked. I would rather watch Ipswich than any other team in this league. It is about entertainment and we are entertaining to watch.

Unfortunately think confidence is running low a bit and that maybe a problem.
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:17 - Nov 22 with 1067 viewsHerbivore

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:10 - Nov 22 by DavoIPB

Agree. I can't believe people are calling for Paul Cook to be sacked. I would rather watch Ipswich than any other team in this league. It is about entertainment and we are entertaining to watch.

Unfortunately think confidence is running low a bit and that maybe a problem.

I'd also rather watch Ipswich than any other side in this league too, because I'm an Ipswich fan and wouldn't be watching League 1 football if we weren't in this wretched division because the quality is by and large not very good.

It's literally a couple of people saying they think he should go but I'm surprised that people are surprised. When you look at Cook's record here it's really poor. We're 10th in the league after 18 games with a hefty gap to the top 6 and a likely insurmountable gap to the top 2. That's hugely disappointing given the backing Cook has had and the squad we've assembled. We should be doing a lot better. Frankly I find it much stranger that we have a number of fans who see questioning Cook as unacceptable. He should be questioned based on his performance as manager here to date. We all want it to work for him but that doesn't mean we pretend it's working when it isn't.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:31 - Nov 22 with 1032 viewsunstableblue

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:17 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

I'd also rather watch Ipswich than any other side in this league too, because I'm an Ipswich fan and wouldn't be watching League 1 football if we weren't in this wretched division because the quality is by and large not very good.

It's literally a couple of people saying they think he should go but I'm surprised that people are surprised. When you look at Cook's record here it's really poor. We're 10th in the league after 18 games with a hefty gap to the top 6 and a likely insurmountable gap to the top 2. That's hugely disappointing given the backing Cook has had and the squad we've assembled. We should be doing a lot better. Frankly I find it much stranger that we have a number of fans who see questioning Cook as unacceptable. He should be questioned based on his performance as manager here to date. We all want it to work for him but that doesn't mean we pretend it's working when it isn't.

“It’s literally a couple of people”… it’s literally not Herbie!

Are you saying that you are not Cook Out and he should be given more time?

Rotherham (h)
Crewe (h)
Wigan (a)
Charlton (a)

And what a time it’s going to be?

I figure if we get to the Wimbledon still only 7 points off 6th we’ll have done very well.

My concern is the confidence hit from Saturday taken into Tuesday, we dominated the game played really well, but a Walton howler and multiple clear chance missed mean we enter this tough period with a dent in confidence and ambition.

Tuesday will be fascinating. How we will miss Burns and Coulson.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:41 - Nov 22 with 1009 viewsHerbivore

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:31 - Nov 22 by unstableblue

“It’s literally a couple of people”… it’s literally not Herbie!

Are you saying that you are not Cook Out and he should be given more time?

Rotherham (h)
Crewe (h)
Wigan (a)
Charlton (a)

And what a time it’s going to be?

I figure if we get to the Wimbledon still only 7 points off 6th we’ll have done very well.

My concern is the confidence hit from Saturday taken into Tuesday, we dominated the game played really well, but a Walton howler and multiple clear chance missed mean we enter this tough period with a dent in confidence and ambition.

Tuesday will be fascinating. How we will miss Burns and Coulson.

I've said repeatedly he needs a bit more time but without a fairly quick upturn I'm looking at weeks rather than months. With the squad he's been backed to put together we shouldn't be looking at any run of games at this stage of the season and saying that sustaining a 7 point deficit to the top 6 would be a good achievement. If anything it underlines how poor a job he's done and how willing fans are to lower expectations for a manager that they like.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:53 - Nov 22 with 981 viewsWilbrahamBlue

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 00:35 - Nov 22 by BondiBlue

I've softened on my 'cook out' sentiments 5 minutes after the final whistle at cambridge. Wycombe away was brilliant and we're looking far more solid and consistent now 4 of the back 5 appear to be nailed-on starters and morsy's imposing himself. He definitely gets a full season for me.

Decent, balanced opinion that the majority agree with.

There's no rush to judgement needed, if he doesn't get in the play-offs (at least) owners will of course look at things and either think they have seen enough to think he's worth giving 12 games next season, or thank you very much you gave it a good go hand the keys back.

This tiny, tiny minority who actually want Cook out will want the next chap out after 6 games if he doesn't win them all. They harp on about the reality of Ipswich Town being in league 1 therefore we should walk it...but seem detached from the same reality - we are vying to be the 45th best team in the country! There will be bumps along the way.....
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:56 - Nov 22 with 976 viewsDarth_Koont

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:41 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

I've said repeatedly he needs a bit more time but without a fairly quick upturn I'm looking at weeks rather than months. With the squad he's been backed to put together we shouldn't be looking at any run of games at this stage of the season and saying that sustaining a 7 point deficit to the top 6 would be a good achievement. If anything it underlines how poor a job he's done and how willing fans are to lower expectations for a manager that they like.

I don’t have expectations for how we’re going to do over the next set of games. I’m taking them one game at a time and hope that the overall improvements around the team and good performances against our main rivals will translate into better results across the board. And a proper run, of course.

“how willing fans are to lower expectations for a manager that they like.” Funnily enough, I was thinking the exact opposite to that, particularly for those who seem to have invested a lot in criticism of Cook last season. Not to say that last season wasn’t a disappointment and a tilt at the playoffs wouldn’t have been nice but that never felt all that realistic to me. Having watched us all last season, the “play-off form” of Gilks and Lambert’s last hurrah was a stretch as we seemed to be running on fumes and riding our luck at that stage.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:57 - Nov 22 with 970 viewstimothyeo

I just think we're at a point in the season where changing manager has too much additional risk associated with it, considering the likely candidates available.

We should have probably changed manager a month ago and been decisive. Cook performed worse than Lambert last season with the same players, and everyone made a million excuses for him.

He's then given the best squad in the division and is still underperforming where Lambert had our 'useless, lazy' players this time last season.

I'm told it's just because of our poor start which again, deserves another excuse because we went and got the best players for this division and therefore we get 10 free hits that don't matter because of...gel.

That also ignores the fact we're 9th in the form table. This squad should be challenging for the title.

My hope is we sneak into the play-offs still and this squad is good enough to do that in spite of Cook.

Even if we finished 6th, just, and somehow won the play-offs I wouldn't be against the idea of looking for a new manager for the Championship.

That Cook hasn't been able to get more than the sum of our parts in this division is just about survivable. In the championship that would be a one-way ticket back down to League One.
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 10:04 - Nov 22 with 953 viewsunstableblue

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:41 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

You’ll be pleased to hear that Saturday’s display looked like we’d stepped up a notch in terms of organisation and being able to dominate teams, and that bodes well going into some incredibly tough fixtures. But we failed to get the three points.

I’m hoping that Rotherham, Charlton and Wigan come at us a little more and provide the space for us to play, a la Wycombe.

Good to see you haven’t given up just yet. Going to be a tough few weeks for Cook in my mind. Needs the players to stand up and be counted now… get their energy and intent increased further. But Cook and Roberts need to coach some new attacking shape and plays into them. Need a bit of luck. Also settle on the right selection. It feels like Fraser and Chaplin have a role in us going on a run. But you need the pace and breaking the lines of an edwards or a Burns.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 10:04 - Nov 22 with 951 viewsWilbrahamBlue

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:57 - Nov 22 by timothyeo

I just think we're at a point in the season where changing manager has too much additional risk associated with it, considering the likely candidates available.

We should have probably changed manager a month ago and been decisive. Cook performed worse than Lambert last season with the same players, and everyone made a million excuses for him.

He's then given the best squad in the division and is still underperforming where Lambert had our 'useless, lazy' players this time last season.

I'm told it's just because of our poor start which again, deserves another excuse because we went and got the best players for this division and therefore we get 10 free hits that don't matter because of...gel.

That also ignores the fact we're 9th in the form table. This squad should be challenging for the title.

My hope is we sneak into the play-offs still and this squad is good enough to do that in spite of Cook.

Even if we finished 6th, just, and somehow won the play-offs I wouldn't be against the idea of looking for a new manager for the Championship.

That Cook hasn't been able to get more than the sum of our parts in this division is just about survivable. In the championship that would be a one-way ticket back down to League One.

The mind boggles.

You would propose that if we do get promoted THATS a good point to change manager?

Quoting the form table when we are 9th in it? quote the form table a couple games back and we were up to 4th in it...these stats are useless until the end of the season as can always find something to back either side of the argument.

Bigger question should be do you believe in the new owners and believe that they also want promotion AND a long-term sustainable model like they say? If you do why not just trust them to get on with it?
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 10:07 - Nov 22 with 946 viewsHerbivore

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:56 - Nov 22 by Darth_Koont

I don’t have expectations for how we’re going to do over the next set of games. I’m taking them one game at a time and hope that the overall improvements around the team and good performances against our main rivals will translate into better results across the board. And a proper run, of course.

“how willing fans are to lower expectations for a manager that they like.” Funnily enough, I was thinking the exact opposite to that, particularly for those who seem to have invested a lot in criticism of Cook last season. Not to say that last season wasn’t a disappointment and a tilt at the playoffs wouldn’t have been nice but that never felt all that realistic to me. Having watched us all last season, the “play-off form” of Gilks and Lambert’s last hurrah was a stretch as we seemed to be running on fumes and riding our luck at that stage.

Cook was my top choice as he was for most of us, so the notion that criticism of Cook is based on anything other than the poor job he's done here to date is well wide of the mark.

I thought you were taking a wider view? Now you're looking at things game by game? I'm not sure those two approaches sit all that well alongside each other.

Your lot got a decent result..... on 10:12 - Nov 22 with 925 viewsBloots

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 09:57 - Nov 22 by timothyeo

....at the weekend, I suspect it's just a new manager bounce though.

Hopefully you'll start losing again soon and disappear back under your stone.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024