Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky 14:24 - Nov 30 with 3799 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

Now isn't the time to panic. I'm reading too many posts where the panic button seems to have been hit.

Nothing is wrapped up in November, we have an ownership who will back us in January and we have a manager who is experienced enough for this division. It's a long season and a busy December where the league table will change with the amount of fixtures.

Performances recently haven't quite been there, but I do think we're missing Wes Burns, I do think we're missing dynamic full backs who add quality in the opposition half and I do think we're just needing to build up some momentum again. All three of those WILL return though.

There's no right or wrong answer, but for those who do feel a change of manager is needed, who would you get and why?

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 17:32 - Nov 30 with 734 viewsHerbivore

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 17:28 - Nov 30 by kizaitfc

No one hated finishing mid table, people hated boring football, going to games happy to take a point.

We now have a manager who is well now for his exciting teams and attacking football.

Has he got it spot on now, absolutely not, should we give him a little more time to work with his squad - absolutely!

The exact same fans that thought the team we had when we got relegated was going to walk league 1 think just because we have spent relatively big and brought in some big names that we will should be doing that now. Football doesnt work like that, certain players suit certain systems and Cook is finding out more about his players every week.

I expect more changes will come in January, and if we still dont improve at that point then I'd start to worry

Cook was given free rein to sign these players to play his system, ffs. If they aren't the right players that's on him.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 17:39 - Nov 30 with 721 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 17:19 - Nov 30 by Keaneish

If i were employed by a company to change that company's fortunes and i laid out a plan in line with a long term contract but was sacked 8-months in despite not failing on any performance review, i'd be a little mythed as would anyone on here.

Yet, there's a few on here who are demanding just that like stroppy teens. It's beyond pathetic.

Christ. where to start with this one?

- the company was 7th in the table when appointed and in the race for promotion
- the long term contract was 2 years
- I’m fairly sure his performance review goals did not include sliding down the table last season, and only winning a third of games this season

But other than pretty much every point being nonsense, great post. Oh and it’s ‘miffed’ btw

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 17:40 - Nov 30 with 718 viewshappybeingblue

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 17:28 - Nov 30 by BlueBadger

Personally, I don't understand the mentality that's happy to accept a third season of mid-table third division football, but there you go.

who is saying they are happy being in lge 1 ? not everyone wants to hound a manager out after so many games,some fans would have wanted george burley out after failing to win the 3 play off campaigns despite the quality of football. some of us are actually enjoying the entertainment again at portman rd after years of dross football and can see the long term plan and bigger picture,but you carry on calling for his head if it makes you happy!
I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:10 - Nov 30 with 692 viewsMattinLondon

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 17:40 - Nov 30 by happybeingblue

who is saying they are happy being in lge 1 ? not everyone wants to hound a manager out after so many games,some fans would have wanted george burley out after failing to win the 3 play off campaigns despite the quality of football. some of us are actually enjoying the entertainment again at portman rd after years of dross football and can see the long term plan and bigger picture,but you carry on calling for his head if it makes you happy!

Ok, I will.

Cook out.
I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:14 - Nov 30 with 678 viewsjeera

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 17:39 - Nov 30 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Christ. where to start with this one?

- the company was 7th in the table when appointed and in the race for promotion
- the long term contract was 2 years
- I’m fairly sure his performance review goals did not include sliding down the table last season, and only winning a third of games this season

But other than pretty much every point being nonsense, great post. Oh and it’s ‘miffed’ btw

What if you've got a lisp?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:18 - Nov 30 with 675 viewsKeaneish

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 17:22 - Nov 30 by BlueBadger

If however, I was handed a huge budget to do that and there was no improvement at all(and indeed if things went backwards) after 8 months in I could expect to be on notice, at very least.

“Huge budget” - you made this up as no-one knows what it is and it actually contradicts Ashton’s statement compared to last season’s wage structure. There is improvement all round, you’ve just chosen to ignore everything else that’s changed at the club. And things haven’t gone backwards at all so my point stands, you and a small band are stamping your feet like petulant kids because the point tally doesn’t abide to your fictitious benchmark, which, in the grand scheme of things is completely irrelevant.

And no, if after 8-months there’s only been incremental gains and it’s part of the bigger plan you wouldn’t be on notice. In fact, you really wouldn’t be on notice in any walk of life after that time unless there had been a dereliction of duty or gross negligence, which Cook isn’t anywhere near close to.

What do you do for a living?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:19 - Nov 30 with 682 viewsDarth_Koont

I understand it.

We’ve had 20 years of disappointment. So, as a defence mechanism and grim entertainment, a number of fans have made it all about themselves and their own edgy takes on football management.

I sort of get it. But it’s hugely tiring when the current squad at least has the potential to delight even if the consistency is frustratingly hard to find.

The answer is a proper run to shake off the negativity and build confidence in the team and among the fans. But if that was easy then every club would do it.

But we’re not far off. The difference between success and bumbling along is pretty marginal.

Pronouns: He/Him

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:22 - Nov 30 with 663 viewsTerra_Farma

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:47 - Nov 30 by Herbivore

It's not that hard to understand. We're nearly halfway through the season now and we're 11th in the third division, with the top 2 now gone, and the play offs requiring sustained automatic promotion form for the rest of the season just for us to have a sniff of sneaking in. It's not going well really is it? Couple that with some poor results recently (7 points from our last 6 games) and some ropey performances at a time where we were meant to have gelled, and it's really not that hard to see why some might want him gone.

I'd give him a few more games to see what happens but to me it's equally if not more bizarre that some fans are willing to give him the full season regardless of how things are going. Being too hesitant to pull the trigger when things aren't working hasn't helped us in the past and is part of the reason we're still stuck in this wretched league.

You still haven't answered my question from Sunday.

What would you do then Herbivore???????????????????????????????
Login to get fewer ads

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:23 - Nov 30 with 660 viewschrismakin

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:19 - Nov 30 by Darth_Koont

I understand it.

We’ve had 20 years of disappointment. So, as a defence mechanism and grim entertainment, a number of fans have made it all about themselves and their own edgy takes on football management.

I sort of get it. But it’s hugely tiring when the current squad at least has the potential to delight even if the consistency is frustratingly hard to find.

The answer is a proper run to shake off the negativity and build confidence in the team and among the fans. But if that was easy then every club would do it.

But we’re not far off. The difference between success and bumbling along is pretty marginal.

Potential to delight.

Has it literally gone from people's memories that we did play some lovely football under Lambert.

Mixed in with sht still mind you.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:27 - Nov 30 with 651 viewsDarth_Koont

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:23 - Nov 30 by chrismakin

Potential to delight.

Has it literally gone from people's memories that we did play some lovely football under Lambert.

Mixed in with sht still mind you.

Of course. But I was talking more realistically about the potential to delight rather than any occasional flashes.

Already this season, we’ve put in several performances better than anything we’ve seen in all of the past few years.

Even the bizarre loss against Sunderland would have been a highlight performance.

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:31 - Nov 30 with 652 viewsBlueBadger

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 17:40 - Nov 30 by happybeingblue

Burley of course, was a novice manager with less than 30 games under his belt who inherited an ageing and doomed side expected to plummet through the divisions ala Swindon.

In his first full season he turned us into play off contenders and leading scorers and then he consistently improved the side season upon season on a highly limited budget and having to sell his best players every season.

Cook is highly experienced manager with nearly 700 games under his belt when he inherited a side positioned just outside the playoffs and took them down the table. His current side have been assembled on a budget that wouldn't look amiss a division higher and looks increasingly likely to miss out on the playoff having already essentially given up on automatic promotion.

His side, a few bravura performances aside(against in the main, bottom half of the table sides), are largely flattering to deceive playing a style of football that can best be described as 'like Lambert, but with better players'.
This last week we've tamely capitulated to a very well drilled but not particularly good Rotherham side and spent most of another game trying to keep out bottom-of-the-table Crewe.

We could and SHOULD be doing better and wanting better.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 21:37]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:31 - Nov 30 with 637 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:52 - Nov 30 by kizaitfc

I dont think anyone is saying we have been amazing,

Here just seems to be 2 extremes with our fanbase, its amazing or its sack the manager.

We used to be patient with managers and that worked, if the last few years have taught us anything it should be the grass isnt always greener.

Cook has proven track record, maybe I am blindly optimistic that he will recreate his performance at prior clubs here, but lets be honest it is far from awful at the moment so lets at least give him the season before we judge his performance.

Exactly this.

I know times have changed but people seem to consider 8/9 months and 1 transfer window with huge turnover as plenty of time.

Cook has been well backed and if he fails at Town he can't say he wasn't given the tools but it's far too early to call that now.

Arteta at Arsenal has needed time but is now reaping those rewards

Nodge all wanted Farke out before he got them promoted (1st time) after an average first season.

Even Klopp at Liverpool.

Overall I think we look better than last year and we do have a style that is certainly trying to be implemented. At least there is flair now, excitement.

Refinement needed? yes. Better expected,? Ultimately yes but these things do usually take time.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:32 - Nov 30 with 639 viewsistanblue

We're 11th in League 1 and 7 points off the play-offs, and yet you can't possibly understand why anyone would be Cook Out? Give your head a wobble mate.
I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:32 - Nov 30 with 637 viewsDarth_Koont

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:31 - Nov 30 by BlueBadger

Burley of course, was a novice manager with less than 30 games under his belt who inherited an ageing and doomed side expected to plummet through the divisions ala Swindon.

In his first full season he turned us into play off contenders and leading scorers and then he consistently improved the side season upon season on a highly limited budget and having to sell his best players every season.

Cook is highly experienced manager with nearly 700 games under his belt when he inherited a side positioned just outside the playoffs and took them down the table. His current side have been assembled on a budget that wouldn't look amiss a division higher and looks increasingly likely to miss out on the playoff having already essentially given up on automatic promotion.

His side, a few bravura performances aside(against in the main, bottom half of the table sides), are largely flattering to deceive playing a style of football that can best be described as 'like Lambert, but with better players'.
This last week we've tamely capitulated to a very well drilled but not particularly good Rotherham side and spent most of another game trying to keep out bottom-of-the-table Crewe.

We could and SHOULD be doing better and wanting better.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 21:37]

Stick to the one-liners.

They’re sh/t too but saves time.

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:38 - Nov 30 with 629 viewsBlueBadger

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:18 - Nov 30 by Keaneish

“Huge budget” - you made this up as no-one knows what it is and it actually contradicts Ashton’s statement compared to last season’s wage structure. There is improvement all round, you’ve just chosen to ignore everything else that’s changed at the club. And things haven’t gone backwards at all so my point stands, you and a small band are stamping your feet like petulant kids because the point tally doesn’t abide to your fictitious benchmark, which, in the grand scheme of things is completely irrelevant.

And no, if after 8-months there’s only been incremental gains and it’s part of the bigger plan you wouldn’t be on notice. In fact, you really wouldn’t be on notice in any walk of life after that time unless there had been a dereliction of duty or gross negligence, which Cook isn’t anywhere near close to.

What do you do for a living?

I'm sure the likes of Cellina, Bonne and Morsy are playing for free.

Stop making excuses for medicrity.

You HATED floundering in midtable(a division higher as well) not so long ago.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:44 - Nov 30 with 603 viewsHerbivore

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:22 - Nov 30 by Terra_Farma

You still haven't answered my question from Sunday.

What would you do then Herbivore???????????????????????????????

Probably see how we do over the next 3 league games. Any less than 5 points I'd make a change ahead of the January transfer window.

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 19:47 - Nov 30 with 556 viewsTerra_Farma

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:44 - Nov 30 by Herbivore

Probably see how we do over the next 3 league games. Any less than 5 points I'd make a change ahead of the January transfer window.

Fair enough - but who would replace PC?
I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 20:02 - Nov 30 with 543 viewspennblue

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 14:52 - Nov 30 by timothyeo

Cook Out.

Underachieved since he's been at the club. Underachieved with two completely different sets of players. Performed worse with the same squad of players than Lambert did, and Lambert was a poor manager.

Can I ask, are you really an Ipswich Town supporter?

I don’t know of any town fan that would consistently post such negativity all the time.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 20:24 - Nov 30 with 523 viewsHerbivore

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 19:47 - Nov 30 by Terra_Farma

Fair enough - but who would replace PC?

No idea, not really my job to source a replacement though.

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 20:43 - Nov 30 with 502 viewsKropotkin123

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 15:04 - Nov 30 by Herbivore

We don't have a right to be anywhere, but with the resources at our disposal we should be aiming for much better than 11th in the league. Do you think our performance to date is acceptable? Because I doubt Cook himself would agree with you if you do.

Cook chose to risk changing most of the squad, that's on him. If much of the recruitment doesn't work out that's also on him, he certainly can't argue that he wasn't backed to bring in the players he wanted.

As for Sunderland, that'll be gutted to still be at this level hut they've at least made the play offs twice, coming close to automatic promotion in that first year as well despite a ridiculous level of upheaval on and off the pitch. They are up there again this year. And when they've felt their challenge is slipping they've changed manager, which they've done twice already since relegation. Phil Parkinson got fewer games there than Cook has had here and he had a better record than Cook too.

We seem content to keep bobbing along in the middle of the third division making excuse after excuse for why it's okay that we've done so much worse a job of getting out of this league than almost every other side of similar stature that hadn't nearly gone bust. I really don't get it.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2021 15:17]

I don't think it was a choice to get rid of the vast majority of players, it was a necessity. They weren't good enough the season before and they have only aged and got worse this season. Most are struggling in League two.

Exceptions being Downes (not Cook's choice), Dozzell, Wilson. So arguably two decent retainable players were his choice.

The only player that looks like a mistake in getting rid of is Wilson. It is clear we feel below our targets defensively, based on when our CBs arrived and who we were originally linked to.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 20:51 - Nov 30 with 498 viewsjayessess

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 18:19 - Nov 30 by Darth_Koont

I understand it.

One of the things I've learned over the past 20 years is that good managers make their football teams better pretty quickly and that "time" isn't a cure all, not for players, not for managers.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 20:58 - Nov 30 with 491 viewsTerra_Farma

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 20:24 - Nov 30 by Herbivore

No idea, not really my job to source a replacement though.

I'm not asking you to recruit, I am asking you in your opinion would do better than PC?
I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 21:16 - Nov 30 with 475 viewsHerbivore

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 20:58 - Nov 30 by Terra_Farma

I'm not asking you to recruit, I am asking you in your opinion would do better than PC?

Based on how he's doing so far, most professional managers I expect. I get the feeling our next appointment will be more of a head coach and more of an up and coming type rather than an old school manager like Cook.

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 23:52 - Nov 30 with 422 viewsrickw

I think most gave Lambert a full year before losing belief in him despite taking us down, and in today's game that seems about fair. I am happy to keep faith in Cook and hope to see an upturn in form before he reaches the year.

He is a manager who has only been successful in the past - at multiple clubs, I can't see us having a better chance with anyone else (for the moment)

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 19:30 - Dec 1 with 324 viewsTerra_Farma

I'm not understanding the Cook out malarky on 21:16 - Nov 30 by Herbivore

Based on how he's doing so far, most professional managers I expect. I get the feeling our next appointment will be more of a head coach and more of an up and coming type rather than an old school manager like Cook.

Fair enough.

I think we will come good under PC.

I am more than happy to eat my words if he fails, but genuinely, I want him to succeed as I am sure you do.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024