Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The absolute truth of it 08:58 - Dec 5 with 3095 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Is that there isn’t a single manager, unless they are blowing away league one each and every week, that is going to unite this board.

There are going to be ‘inners’ and ‘outers’ forever. It’s no ones fault, it’s just the polarised nature of life that Zuckerberg and co have kindly gifted to us.

Let hope we get someone in quickly and we turn the corner quickly and have a run at the play offs. So this board rubs along a bit better, what we all want is a successful Ipswich. It would be good if we could do it without being quite so factious.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The absolute truth of it on 09:04 - Dec 5 with 2266 viewsSawtrich

People will always have different opinions and I'm OK with that. What is tedious is when people accuse anyone disagreeing with them of being idiots and know nothings. Lots of interesting threads degenerate into tit for tat bickering. I've had thousands of opinions about football over the years, some have turned out to be right, some have turned out to be wrong, same as everyone else. Lets try to be nice to each other.
COYB
The absolute truth of it on 09:07 - Dec 5 with 2214 viewsHerbivore

There was only ever a very small handful of people actually calling for Cook to go. The polarisation of the fan base in my view came from anyone who offered legitimate criticism of Cook constantly being labelled as an outer and accused of having some kind of agenda. It was tedious and tiresome.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The absolute truth of it on 09:11 - Dec 5 with 2175 viewstownblue

I generally agree with this, but think if an ex town man with reasonable credentials was brought in they would be given a bit more time before people started to turn.
The absolute truth of it on 09:12 - Dec 5 with 2164 viewsCotty

It was in this club well before Zuckerberg. I can remember some people being extremely negative about Burley even in the good times.
The absolute truth of it on 09:15 - Dec 5 with 2129 viewsMullet

That's just b0llocks isn't it? You're the one polarising things here. Cook had plenty of support, plenty of patience and people quite willing to see him put together these wins we were promised by his biggest advocates.

It never happened and they seem to be coming down hard from their delusions. Facts have always been against him, as well as his own performances.

Whoever gets it will be welcomed and supported, just look at the last few duds. But they actually have to manage and do the job. This idea we're suddenly Leeds or Barcodes and storming the ground et al. is laughable frankly.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The absolute truth of it on 09:24 - Dec 5 with 2022 viewsFtnfwest

I think we can all agree that unless the new manager improves our league position significantly by the end of the season, he’s out on his ear so the next one gets the summer to rebuild again.
The absolute truth of it on 09:27 - Dec 5 with 1991 viewsdavblue

What is it 11 wins in 40 games under Cook. We would have been in a relegation battle over the course of a 46 games season.

It’s just been one of those appointments where it hasn’t really worked for whatever reason. I can’t say I’ve ever been an outer but the pedestal some of our fans have put him on is frankly laughable without anything to back it up.

The few highs have been very good but it’s all been very mediocre. I wasn’t one of those thinking we would win the league easily that was very unlikely to happen given all the changes made and it was going to be a 2 year turnaround for me. Where this leaves us now, who knows.
The absolute truth of it on 09:30 - Dec 5 with 1953 viewsWeWereZombies

Look, I don't have a problem with the outers.

It's the out outers who go too far.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

The absolute truth of it on 09:34 - Dec 5 with 1915 viewsthebooks

Nah, it’s always been like that; in a way the argument over whether the current incumbent is any good or not defines this board.

Were you around when Joe Royle was manager? Far more vitriolic then.

It is sad when it gets personal, and I think that’s what we should try and avoid in these Zuckerbergian times. I think that can do people some harm.
The absolute truth of it on 09:36 - Dec 5 with 1874 viewsclive_baker

The way I saw it, on here at least, is there seemed to be about 10% on either end of the spectrum with Cook, where in the eyes of some he could do no wrong, happily turning a blind eye to our clear underperformance. Others became OTT in their criticism, even pulling apart meaningless routine pre match press conferences. I thought the rest weren’t actually differing too much in their opinion that for the money we’ve spent, it’s not been good enough. Within that, some thought maybe it’s time we tried something else, some thought we should probably give him a bit longer, but fundamentally I think the vast majority agreed that sitting 11th in League 1 did represent failure at this moment in time, while recognising the mitigating factor that we had seen an awful lot of change in a very short time. Previously we’ve delayed pulling the trigger for so long that by the end everyone is on the same page, but because we’re only 9 months in to Cooks time here it’s inevitable there will be different perspectives on the timing, and perhaps a sense of regret. We’ve also shown glimpses of being very good, which makes it all the more frustrating than we couldn’t find a level of consistency, and leaves a sense of‘what if’.

As for the replacement, inevitably some will be more keen than others, but generally speaking I would hope and imagine the overwhelming majority will back them and give them every chance of succeeding, as we always have.

On we go. Looking forward to Charlton, it’ll definitely be a test of our metal and we’ll see if this squad has any b0llocks between them.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 9:43]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The absolute truth of it on 09:37 - Dec 5 with 1865 viewspointofblue

I think Cook United this board when he arrived - his actions and in game decisions split the board, not his appointment.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The absolute truth of it on 09:37 - Dec 5 with 1863 viewsketton_itfc

The absolute truth of it on 09:12 - Dec 5 by Cotty

It was in this club well before Zuckerberg. I can remember some people being extremely negative about Burley even in the good times.

Well September, October and November was always a spikey time in the stands during the Burley years.
The absolute truth of it on 10:34 - Dec 5 with 1639 viewsDarth_Koont

The absolute truth of it on 09:36 - Dec 5 by clive_baker

The way I saw it, on here at least, is there seemed to be about 10% on either end of the spectrum with Cook, where in the eyes of some he could do no wrong, happily turning a blind eye to our clear underperformance. Others became OTT in their criticism, even pulling apart meaningless routine pre match press conferences. I thought the rest weren’t actually differing too much in their opinion that for the money we’ve spent, it’s not been good enough. Within that, some thought maybe it’s time we tried something else, some thought we should probably give him a bit longer, but fundamentally I think the vast majority agreed that sitting 11th in League 1 did represent failure at this moment in time, while recognising the mitigating factor that we had seen an awful lot of change in a very short time. Previously we’ve delayed pulling the trigger for so long that by the end everyone is on the same page, but because we’re only 9 months in to Cooks time here it’s inevitable there will be different perspectives on the timing, and perhaps a sense of regret. We’ve also shown glimpses of being very good, which makes it all the more frustrating than we couldn’t find a level of consistency, and leaves a sense of‘what if’.

As for the replacement, inevitably some will be more keen than others, but generally speaking I would hope and imagine the overwhelming majority will back them and give them every chance of succeeding, as we always have.

On we go. Looking forward to Charlton, it’ll definitely be a test of our metal and we’ll see if this squad has any b0llocks between them.

Good post.

Yeah, I think the vast majority had a very similar view about the overall situation. And then there was a sliding scale of what to do about it.

I must admit I’m a little disappointed by the timing of his sacking. Cook and the team have had a difficult start which kept the pressure on, and improvements have been slow and even faltering in recent weeks. But I would like to have seen more patience and hope that the next manager isn’t also going to be living on borrowed time within months.

People can talk about expectations and ambitions all they want but those are a hindrance too if we’re not careful. It’s how we go about things that really matters.

Pronouns: He/Him

The absolute truth of it on 10:47 - Dec 5 with 1571 viewsclive_baker

The absolute truth of it on 10:34 - Dec 5 by Darth_Koont

Good post.

Yeah, I think the vast majority had a very similar view about the overall situation. And then there was a sliding scale of what to do about it.

I must admit I’m a little disappointed by the timing of his sacking. Cook and the team have had a difficult start which kept the pressure on, and improvements have been slow and even faltering in recent weeks. But I would like to have seen more patience and hope that the next manager isn’t also going to be living on borrowed time within months.

People can talk about expectations and ambitions all they want but those are a hindrance too if we’re not careful. It’s how we go about things that really matters.

I’m inclined to agree. I think the main argument against Cook is less the absolute position we’re in, but the trajectory. We don’t seem to be improving, if anything we’re going the other way. If we were showing improvement I think we could’ve made a stronger case for his continued employment.

That said I do feel it’s a little premature, we’ve been stop start with the cup games, and Rotherham aside I don’t feel like we’ve been outplayed for a while now. We were unlucky at Sunderland and Plymouth. It’s a tough one, but without a replacement lined up I’m not sure why we didn’t give him Charlton and Wigan to have a go at personally.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The absolute truth of it on 10:47 - Dec 5 with 1569 viewsWhos_blue

The absolute truth of it on 09:07 - Dec 5 by Herbivore

There was only ever a very small handful of people actually calling for Cook to go. The polarisation of the fan base in my view came from anyone who offered legitimate criticism of Cook constantly being labelled as an outer and accused of having some kind of agenda. It was tedious and tiresome.

As was being labelled "a happy clapper" if you were trying back Cook and the team even in the hardest of times. Getting behind the team, even if it is blind loyalty, was/is/will be brushed aside too often and too easily by some around here, making this place unnecessarily unpleasant. Different opinions yes. The dismissive dismantling of differing views, no thank you.
(BTW, not aimed at you personally, just offering a friendly opinion on your final sentence)

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

The absolute truth of it on 10:48 - Dec 5 with 1555 viewsFightingEssex

The absolute truth of it on 09:07 - Dec 5 by Herbivore

An agenda… on a fan forum as if anything we say matters…

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

The absolute truth of it on 10:49 - Dec 5 with 1538 viewsonceablue

People post on this board because we all have a option about something that is an important part of our lives

We will all think most of the time our opinion is the correct one

Nature of the beast I am afraid!!!!
The absolute truth of it on 10:49 - Dec 5 with 1535 viewsWhos_blue

I like this take.
A well considered post in very uncertain times.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2021 10:52]

The absolute truth of it on 10:51 - Dec 5 with 1516 viewspointofblue

The absolute truth of it on 09:27 - Dec 5 by davblue

What is it 11 wins in 40 games under Cook. We would have been in a relegation battle over the course of a 46 games season.

It’s just been one of those appointments where it hasn’t really worked for whatever reason. I can’t say I’ve ever been an outer but the pedestal some of our fans have put him on is frankly laughable without anything to back it up.

The few highs have been very good but it’s all been very mediocre. I wasn’t one of those thinking we would win the league easily that was very unlikely to happen given all the changes made and it was going to be a 2 year turnaround for me. Where this leaves us now, who knows.

His overall record has us on a trajectory of 64 points from a full season - not good enough but mid table rather than relegation form.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The absolute truth of it on 10:52 - Dec 5 with 1503 viewsHerbivore

The absolute truth of it on 10:47 - Dec 5 by Whos_blue

As was being labelled "a happy clapper" if you were trying back Cook and the team even in the hardest of times. Getting behind the team, even if it is blind loyalty, was/is/will be brushed aside too often and too easily by some around here, making this place unnecessarily unpleasant. Different opinions yes. The dismissive dismantling of differing views, no thank you.
(BTW, not aimed at you personally, just offering a friendly opinion on your final sentence)

I've mainly seen the term "happy clapper" being used by those who were strongly in favour of Cook in the way you've used it here to be honest. I can't remember seeing it used by those who were more critical of Cook. There's been talk about low expectations but not sure the term happy clapper has been thrown around a lot. On the other hand, accusations of agendas and trying to undermine Cook when even the most gentle criticism was offered have been rife.

Hopefully that can all be put to bed now, although there's already been a slew of posts from ardent Cook supporters trying to blame their fellow fans for his sacking. All rather odd if you ask me.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The absolute truth of it on 10:55 - Dec 5 with 1488 viewsStokieBlue

Just seem Reuser in the EADT piece - that would unite the board, at least initially.

He's clearly got no experience though apart from Dutch international youth teams.

This isn't a vote for him btw.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The absolute truth of it on 11:00 - Dec 5 with 1449 viewsWhos_blue

The absolute truth of it on 10:52 - Dec 5 by Herbivore

I've mainly seen the term "happy clapper" being used by those who were strongly in favour of Cook in the way you've used it here to be honest. I can't remember seeing it used by those who were more critical of Cook. There's been talk about low expectations but not sure the term happy clapper has been thrown around a lot. On the other hand, accusations of agendas and trying to undermine Cook when even the most gentle criticism was offered have been rife.

Hopefully that can all be put to bed now, although there's already been a slew of posts from ardent Cook supporters trying to blame their fellow fans for his sacking. All rather odd if you ask me.

Yes. I do agree that Cook's sacking has nothing to do with a few grumblings here or on the terraces. We never got anywhere near to the Lambert levels of dissent!
As to not seeing the term "happy clapper" thrown around freely here, we might not be on the same page with that one! It's very common.

The absolute truth of it on 11:00 - Dec 5 with 1449 viewslowhouseblue

i agree with that. and we need to back the next manager. but i hope this time we can avoid the over the top response to every signing and every departure. the line that cook was assembling the greatest squad ever to grace league one, and each signing was a miraculous coup, and that everyone who left was talentless or geriatric got rather dull. of course i exaggerate to make the point.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The absolute truth of it on 11:01 - Dec 5 with 1442 viewsPhilTWTD

The absolute truth of it on 10:55 - Dec 5 by StokieBlue

Just seem Reuser in the EADT piece - that would unite the board, at least initially.

He's clearly got no experience though apart from Dutch international youth teams.

This isn't a vote for him btw.

SB

Think it would probably be very difficult for him to get a work permit post-Brexit given his lack of experience. Can't see them going down that route anyway.
The absolute truth of it on 11:04 - Dec 5 with 1375 viewsDarth_Koont

The absolute truth of it on 10:47 - Dec 5 by clive_baker

I’m inclined to agree. I think the main argument against Cook is less the absolute position we’re in, but the trajectory. We don’t seem to be improving, if anything we’re going the other way. If we were showing improvement I think we could’ve made a stronger case for his continued employment.

That said I do feel it’s a little premature, we’ve been stop start with the cup games, and Rotherham aside I don’t feel like we’ve been outplayed for a while now. We were unlucky at Sunderland and Plymouth. It’s a tough one, but without a replacement lined up I’m not sure why we didn’t give him Charlton and Wigan to have a go at personally.

Yeah, improvement was always my measure after the poor start and we’d been doing that over the dozen games after Bolton. But we’d definitely stalled over recent weeks and particularly getting results was becoming more difficult.

It’s interesting you mention Sunderland. That really should have been a 2-0 win to us and the kind of impressive away performance and the result that would have got us back on track, and a lo more confident against Rotherham in the next game. In retrospect that seems a real turning point.

When we add in a lot of leads that we let slip (mostly through individual errors rather than collective failings) then we should be aware that it’s still very much about fine margins rather than black and white readings.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024