Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) 17:21 - Dec 26 with 4451 viewsNthsuffolkblue

We are 11th but 4 points behind 10th and 7 points off 9th (who have a game in hand on us). A full 10 points off the play-offs with 4 of those teams between us and 6th all having a game in hand on us.

Burton are only a point behind us with a game in hand. Bolton 3 points with 1 in hand and Wimbledon are 4 points behind with 3 games in hand on us.

Even if McKenna gets us winning very soon, it is going to be some time before we move up the league table and there is every chance we will be firmly mid-table even if we can get good form.

We cannot judge McKenna on league position for some considerable time. He has taken us over completely cut adrift. This doesn't mean that results do not matter. We need to judge him on performances, results and ppg but not on league position.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 17:23 - Dec 26 with 3781 viewsWD19

OK. If we win the next 10 straight I promise not to judge him on league position.
McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 17:24 - Dec 26 with 3776 viewsJ2BLUE

Is that you unstable blue?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 17:35 - Dec 26 with 3732 viewsNthsuffolkblue

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 17:23 - Dec 26 by WD19

OK. If we win the next 10 straight I promise not to judge him on league position.

That's good, because on current form for 6th place, we would be 7th. That is the point I am making.

We are not going to even get close to making the play offs this season.

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 21:23 - Dec 26 with 3453 viewsChurchman

Ok, glass half empty, but the season is dead and has been for some while. Once we got shown up by the better teams after the Wycombe game, it was all over, thanks to our pathetic start.

Consolidation to ensure we don’t fall into the relegation battle is realistic and a top half finish will be an achievement as will something that resembles a proper team. I’ve no idea what objectives McK has been set, but I hope people don’t pile in on him too early because Cook really hasn’t left much.

Fortunately, I’m usually wrong, so hopefully we will see new manager bounce and ten straight wins to get us up that table in this rubbish Division.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2021 8:51]
McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 22:00 - Dec 26 with 3368 viewsrgp1

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 21:23 - Dec 26 by Churchman

Ok, glass half empty, but the season is dead and has been for some while. Once we got shown up by the better teams after the Wycombe game, it was all over, thanks to our pathetic start.

Consolidation to ensure we don’t fall into the relegation battle is realistic and a top half finish will be an achievement as will something that resembles a proper team. I’ve no idea what objectives McK has been set, but I hope people don’t pile in on him too early because Cook really hasn’t left much.

Fortunately, I’m usually wrong, so hopefully we will see new manager bounce and ten straight wins to get us up that table in this rubbish Division.

Its certainly a test for a rookie manager with this rag tag bunch of misfits. The season is dead as many have said our points per game will be insufficient. Can he progress us is the question? Well here is hoping!
McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 22:15 - Dec 26 with 3326 viewsxrayspecs

We probably need 50 points + in the second half of the season to get in the play offs. Say 16 wins out of 23. Not impossible with the squad we have, if we hit the ground running.

Little margin for error but if we were to get into the play-offs, then we would do so with momentum.
McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 23:33 - Dec 26 with 3187 viewsSwansea_Blue

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 17:35 - Dec 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

That's good, because on current form for 6th place, we would be 7th. That is the point I am making.

We are not going to even get close to making the play offs this season.

Yep. Highly unlikely we’ll get close, and that’s been pretty obvious for a while just from watching us. I admire the ridiculous levels of optimism of those who think we’re a top team though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 23:58 - Dec 26 with 3149 viewsKeaneish

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 21:23 - Dec 26 by Churchman

Before we travelled to Pompey, the Cowleys had picked up 1 win in 8 and they were terrible suffering a heavy defeat to us. Did they panic and call for them to leave and call the season dead? No. They’re now 3 pts off the play-offs and are unbeaten in 9 since we beat them. Where is the logic in arguments like this given how much of the season there is left?

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Login to get fewer ads

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 06:44 - Dec 27 with 2956 viewswkj

In short: I agree that we can't expect promotion from McKenna's first half a season.

What I do judge him on is the ability to command games and protecting leads. If he can do that more often than Cook, and we're sniffing around the top 6 - I will be pretty happy.

That said, if we don't miraculously go up this season; he absolutely will have to do it next season.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 06:56 - Dec 27 with 2956 viewshoppy

Just because I can’t be bothered to look it up… how many of those teams above us do we still have to play? Those games would be vital to get the points from to have any chance. That is something we have regularly failed to do, that if McKenna can address, that will show us heading in the right direction.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 07:11 - Dec 27 with 2926 viewstextbackup

just consider too, when we sat top of the championship, we had a 10 point lead on norwich sat in 7th.....

we then managed to bottle/throw that away, and sstumble into 6th place, whilst norwich finished 3rd, and went on to beat us in the PO

so a ten point gap isnt impossible to close.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 07:44 - Dec 27 with 2898 viewspennblue

No I am sorry, if we are not top 2 by March, then all you Cook Outers are going to look very very silly.

No back tracking now.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 08:29 - Dec 27 with 2799 viewstextbackup

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 07:44 - Dec 27 by pennblue

No I am sorry, if we are not top 2 by March, then all you Cook Outers are going to look very very silly.

No back tracking now.

are they?

i mean, you can say that if you feel PC would have got us top 2..... but he really wouldnt have would he

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 09:15 - Dec 27 with 2660 viewsHerbivore

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 07:44 - Dec 27 by pennblue

No back tracking now.

Jesus wept.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 09:15 - Dec 27 with 2661 viewsChurchman

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 23:58 - Dec 26 by Keaneish

Before we travelled to Pompey, the Cowleys had picked up 1 win in 8 and they were terrible suffering a heavy defeat to us. Did they panic and call for them to leave and call the season dead? No. They’re now 3 pts off the play-offs and are unbeaten in 9 since we beat them. Where is the logic in arguments like this given how much of the season there is left?

It’s more of a feeling than an argument. We all know how things can change. My feelings are based on a number of things, not least a porous defence. Any organised team has a chance, however poor, and everybody knows it.

Yes, teams start badly, they sometimes go on great second half of the season runs. We’ve done it in the distant past under Robson and Burley but that was when the club and team was relatively settled. Neither is the case at the moment.

Full credit to Portsmouth for getting their act together and doing what they’ve done. Hopefully we can do the same. Looking at our team with no fullbacks, question marks over the midfield and forwards, I think it unlikely.

One think I really hope is that they evolve and build the team (as far as you can in this day and age) rather than wholesale demolition man changes.
McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 09:18 - Dec 27 with 2635 viewsPinewoodblue

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 17:23 - Dec 26 by WD19

We would have to win the next 10 games and then average 2pts a gsmefor the remaining 13 games to be in with a shout for automatic promotion.

But if a tall order.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 09:20 - Dec 27 with 2612 viewstextbackup

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 09:15 - Dec 27 by Churchman

It’s more of a feeling than an argument. We all know how things can change. My feelings are based on a number of things, not least a porous defence. Any organised team has a chance, however poor, and everybody knows it.

Yes, teams start badly, they sometimes go on great second half of the season runs. We’ve done it in the distant past under Robson and Burley but that was when the club and team was relatively settled. Neither is the case at the moment.

Full credit to Portsmouth for getting their act together and doing what they’ve done. Hopefully we can do the same. Looking at our team with no fullbacks, question marks over the midfield and forwards, I think it unlikely.

One think I really hope is that they evolve and build the team (as far as you can in this day and age) rather than wholesale demolition man changes.

was interesting to see on the first training session video the eadt put up, the coach, bald bloke, was seemingly instructing the defence to hold off a bit when pressing once the attack was under way.
might be something they've picked up on straight away

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 09:40 - Dec 27 with 2546 viewsChateauWines

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 06:56 - Dec 27 by hoppy

Just because I can’t be bothered to look it up… how many of those teams above us do we still have to play? Those games would be vital to get the points from to have any chance. That is something we have regularly failed to do, that if McKenna can address, that will show us heading in the right direction.

Erh? All bar Sunderland as we are half way

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 10:05 - Dec 27 with 2446 viewshoppy

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 09:40 - Dec 27 by ChateauWines

Erh? All bar Sunderland as we are half way

Exactly!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 12:46 - Dec 27 with 2219 viewsRadlett_blue

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 06:44 - Dec 27 by wkj

In short: I agree that we can't expect promotion from McKenna's first half a season.

What I do judge him on is the ability to command games and protecting leads. If he can do that more often than Cook, and we're sniffing around the top 6 - I will be pretty happy.

That said, if we don't miraculously go up this season; he absolutely will have to do it next season.

I'm just hoping to see some signs that McKenna knows what he's doing & that the players are responding to him. While even making the play offs is a big ask, the rest of this season is not the "free hit" that some gave Cook last season. Him getting even less out of the squad than did Lambert was a major black mark & sadly it gave him an excuse to turn the squad inside out. I hope McKenna doesn't want to do the same, or isn't allowed to do so.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 13:21 - Dec 27 with 2128 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No back tracking now.

If Cook had somehow dramatically turned us into a team that suddenly won 10 on the trot we would possibly be 7th with a platform to build on in order to reach the play-offs.

I reckon a bookie would let you name your own odds on us winning 10 on the bounce before Cook got sacked (as well as now). Cook didn't manage more than 2 wins on the bounce did he? He could have had a massive upturn in form and we would have finished outside the play-offs. This is how far we have fallen and why Cook HAD to go.

It is ONLY in your (and maybe a couple of others') minds that Cook was anything other than an inept failure. If we get relegated or fail to be in the play-offs at least next season then McKenna will have failed where Cook also has done. That still doesn't make it wrong to have sacked Cook.

Using your own logic it was wrong to sack Hurst (he didn't actually get us relegated, Lambert did) and wrong to sack Lambert (he had us closer to promotion than Cook did). In your mind Cook just needed time to get it right but there was no evidence that was going to happen. There is no reason the other managers could not argue the same but it was pretty obvious to everyone else they had got it badly wrong.

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 13:26 - Dec 27 with 2107 viewsNthsuffolkblue

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 09:18 - Dec 27 by Pinewoodblue

We would have to win the next 10 games and then average 2pts a gsmefor the remaining 13 games to be in with a shout for automatic promotion.

But if a tall order.

So 20 wins out of our remaining 23 matches gives us a chance of promotion. I wonder how many teams in any English league have ever won 20 of their last 23 matches let alone from a position of having won 7 out of 23 so far.

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 15:23 - Dec 27 with 1993 viewsjayessess

If results improve then people should be pleased with McKenna, that's more than any of our last 3 managers achieved.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 15:39 - Dec 27 with 1970 viewstractorboy1978

McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 13:21 - Dec 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

If Cook had somehow dramatically turned us into a team that suddenly won 10 on the trot we would possibly be 7th with a platform to build on in order to reach the play-offs.

I reckon a bookie would let you name your own odds on us winning 10 on the bounce before Cook got sacked (as well as now). Cook didn't manage more than 2 wins on the bounce did he? He could have had a massive upturn in form and we would have finished outside the play-offs. This is how far we have fallen and why Cook HAD to go.

It is ONLY in your (and maybe a couple of others') minds that Cook was anything other than an inept failure. If we get relegated or fail to be in the play-offs at least next season then McKenna will have failed where Cook also has done. That still doesn't make it wrong to have sacked Cook.

Using your own logic it was wrong to sack Hurst (he didn't actually get us relegated, Lambert did) and wrong to sack Lambert (he had us closer to promotion than Cook did). In your mind Cook just needed time to get it right but there was no evidence that was going to happen. There is no reason the other managers could not argue the same but it was pretty obvious to everyone else they had got it badly wrong.

The degree to which we have failed over the past 2.5 seasons is quite staggering and Cook did worse on the pitch than Lambert - a man a year ago you could easily have made a case for being our worst manager of all time all things considered.
McKenna's first match (assuming we play on Wednesday) on 16:46 - Dec 27 with 1893 viewsrgp1

The only way McKenna could feasibly be in trouble would be to make us worse. I hate the term ' free hit' but if this bloke gets us up he deserves the freedom of the borough and a fecking knighthood! As said if he manages not to win a game or say lose the first 6 or 7 games then he could be in a bit of dodo.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024