Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Walton heading back to Brighton… 20:19 - Jan 3 with 8088 viewsKieran_Knows

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 23:43 - Jan 3 with 2270 viewsIllinoisblue

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 20:56 - Jan 3 by SitfcB

He gets some unfair stick I think.

He does throw a lot out there but he’s been right quite a lot of times when it comes to us, more so because I think he has sources at clubs we deal with than a source here.

He’s a bit of a prick on twitter but gets plenty right.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 00:21 - Jan 4 with 2194 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 21:15 - Jan 3 by NthQldITFC

Let's hope he keeps them all out.

I've heard he has offers from several clubs, including Feyenoord, Everton and Lazio, so he could end up in Rotterdam, or anywhere, Liverpool or Rome.
Walton heading back to Brighton… on 06:15 - Jan 4 with 2012 viewsKeaneish

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 20:30 - Jan 3 by chrismakin

Technically Hladky has conceded less goals in the same amount of games so its not all bad ;) ( I saw in statmans tweet)

Altho.. I would expect KM to have someone else in mind.

Can you ask Statman to post an accompanying tweet to show how many points Hladky has single handedly won us? Walton going back would be a big blow. Hopefully this isn’t a knock on effect of Cook going.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 07:58 - Jan 4 with 1891 viewsFightingEssex

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 20:25 - Jan 3 by RobTheMonk

He's out of contract in the summer isn't he? Makes sense for them to cash in.

Hladky might surprise us with new coaching. He was alright last game part from one odd punch.

I still don't think he is any better than Holy in reality. You could swap either at this level and still has a similar result.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 08:50 - Jan 4 with 1769 viewsCheltenham_Blue

If Nicko says so, it MUST be true...............

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 09:14 - Jan 4 with 1692 viewsclive_baker

Would be a shame as he's a very good keeper, but if we're not going to sign him permanently then he isn't a longer term solution anyway. Might be an opportunity for Hladky to show us he's the keeper we were told we were signing. Amazing what a bit of confidence could do for him, and knowing he's the #1 here now might give him that. Certainly worth giving him the rest of the season IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 10:16 - Jan 4 with 1591 viewsberkstractorboy

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 09:14 - Jan 4 by clive_baker

Would be a shame as he's a very good keeper, but if we're not going to sign him permanently then he isn't a longer term solution anyway. Might be an opportunity for Hladky to show us he's the keeper we were told we were signing. Amazing what a bit of confidence could do for him, and knowing he's the #1 here now might give him that. Certainly worth giving him the rest of the season IMO.

He was the #1 before Walton was rushed here after Hladky had such a poor start to the season ...
Walton heading back to Brighton… on 10:20 - Jan 4 with 1575 viewsNthQldITFC

Put some itching powder in his underpants, or some other trick to turn him into an aggressive and loud keeper, the sort you just love playing front of. Needs a bit of psychology work to add a contagious self-confidence to his apparent distribution abilities.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 10:22 - Jan 4 with 1565 viewsEwan_Oozami

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 00:21 - Jan 4 by ArnoldMoorhen

I've heard he has offers from several clubs, including Feyenoord, Everton and Lazio, so he could end up in Rotterdam, or anywhere, Liverpool or Rome.

Maybe he could stay in The Beautiful East...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 10:24 - Jan 4 with 1547 views3_5_2

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 20:25 - Jan 3 by RobTheMonk

He's out of contract in the summer isn't he? Makes sense for them to cash in.

Hladky might surprise us with new coaching. He was alright last game part from one odd punch.

Hladky not the answer

Walton is a different level to him

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 10:25 - Jan 4 with 1542 viewsRadlett_blue

Given that promotion this season is highly unlikely, giving Hladky a chance to prove his worth makes sense to me & if he isn't up to the mark, get a new keeper in the summer.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 10:54 - Jan 4 with 1428 viewsclive_baker

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 10:16 - Jan 4 by berkstractorboy

He was the #1 before Walton was rushed here after Hladky had such a poor start to the season ...

He made a few howlers for sure, I remember the MK Dons freekick that he should've saved in particular, that was pony and probably cost us a win, I'm sure he cocked up against Wimbledon too. That was so frustrating how many leads we threw away early on in the season which really set the tone. I do think the whole team was very new and raw though, we were defending so so badly during that period. Evans gifted Morecambe their 2nd goal, Woolfenden gifted Burton one IIRC. Both games we should've won. It was Walton that came in and let in 5 against Bolton, so it was a deeper issue than just the keeper.

I think it's highly unlikely that we're going up this season, so I would rather give the bloke a run of 10 games in a more settled structure than resigning him to the scrapheap just yet.

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:11 - Jan 4 with 1348 viewsjayessess

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 10:54 - Jan 4 by clive_baker

He made a few howlers for sure, I remember the MK Dons freekick that he should've saved in particular, that was pony and probably cost us a win, I'm sure he cocked up against Wimbledon too. That was so frustrating how many leads we threw away early on in the season which really set the tone. I do think the whole team was very new and raw though, we were defending so so badly during that period. Evans gifted Morecambe their 2nd goal, Woolfenden gifted Burton one IIRC. Both games we should've won. It was Walton that came in and let in 5 against Bolton, so it was a deeper issue than just the keeper.

I think it's highly unlikely that we're going up this season, so I would rather give the bloke a run of 10 games in a more settled structure than resigning him to the scrapheap just yet.

I fear we've sort of re-written Hladky's flaws as being about inconsistency, rather than his general quality.

He did make a couple of outright howlers for sure, but his main problem was that he barely made a save at all. Statistically, he's the 2nd worst goalkeeper in the division for save percentage, with an unbelievably poor 54.5%. Every other shot he faced went in!

https://fbref.com/en/comps/15/keepers/League-One-Stats

The judgement call here isn't about whether he can get a bit of consistency, it's about whether he has the ability full stop.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:29 - Jan 4 with 1253 viewsclive_baker

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:11 - Jan 4 by jayessess

I fear we've sort of re-written Hladky's flaws as being about inconsistency, rather than his general quality.

He did make a couple of outright howlers for sure, but his main problem was that he barely made a save at all. Statistically, he's the 2nd worst goalkeeper in the division for save percentage, with an unbelievably poor 54.5%. Every other shot he faced went in!

https://fbref.com/en/comps/15/keepers/League-One-Stats

The judgement call here isn't about whether he can get a bit of consistency, it's about whether he has the ability full stop.

I'm not sure I really value that stat though. If he's not facing shots, how can he be expected to save them? If that data is correct then he's only fielded 33 shots in 12 starts. Surely the more reasonable question is of those 16 goals conceded, which ones would he have been expected to stop? There's obviously wider considerations around the rest of his game.

Take the first 2 games of the season for example, he faced 3 shots according to that data and conceded 4 goals (not sure how that works, perhaps penalties are excluded). So 100% of shots faced, yet none of those 4 were his fault at all. 1 was a pen, the other a stupid mistake from Evans, one a stupid mistake from Woolfenden and another awful defending to let Stockton beat so many players.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2022 11:30]

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:36 - Jan 4 with 1190 viewshype313

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 10:24 - Jan 4 by 3_5_2

Hladky not the answer

Walton is a different level to him

Obviously, he's a premier league goalkeeper and Hdalky came from League 2.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:43 - Jan 4 with 1152 viewsStirlingArcher

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:29 - Jan 4 by clive_baker

I'm not sure I really value that stat though. If he's not facing shots, how can he be expected to save them? If that data is correct then he's only fielded 33 shots in 12 starts. Surely the more reasonable question is of those 16 goals conceded, which ones would he have been expected to stop? There's obviously wider considerations around the rest of his game.

Take the first 2 games of the season for example, he faced 3 shots according to that data and conceded 4 goals (not sure how that works, perhaps penalties are excluded). So 100% of shots faced, yet none of those 4 were his fault at all. 1 was a pen, the other a stupid mistake from Evans, one a stupid mistake from Woolfenden and another awful defending to let Stockton beat so many players.

Wasn't most of Hladky's bad games when we didn't have the Fridge up and running?
Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:47 - Jan 4 with 1120 viewsjayessess

That's kind of what I mean by "howlers" not being the point. Being a good goalkeeper isn't just about not making outright errors, it's about making good saves that bail your team out as well.

Is there a goalkeeper error in either of Morecambe's goals? No.
Do you see goalkeepers make saves in those 2 situations? Yes, sometimes.

Absolutely no reason to think that the keepers near the top of that list are getting more saveable shots than Hladky was. They're likely just getting the same mix and saving more of them!

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:49 - Jan 4 with 1109 viewsRobTheMonk

I've not been complimentary of Hladky at all this season, but am happy to see what some different (potentially higher quality) coaching can do for him.

Bart quickly went downhill when Hurst/Lambert arrived, but there was still a very decent goalkeeper in there.
Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:52 - Jan 4 with 1080 viewstractorboy1978

I don't really look too much into stats but with my own eyes he's looked woeful. MK Dons, Wimbledon, Accrington, Cambridge, Arsenal U21s off the top of my head he has made glaring errors. And there's been numerous times he's come and flapped and we've got lucky.

It's one of the biggest discrepancies between hype and performance I can remember from a Town player. Perhaps going from playing in front of no crowd at Salford (due to COVID) and coming here in front of 20,000+ has been daunting but he just looks to have no confidence at all. That can be built up for sure but I still think we can make the play-offs this season (hard as it may look right now) and not sure I'd be risking him in goal regularly right now.
Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:56 - Jan 4 with 1051 viewstractorboy1978

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:47 - Jan 4 by jayessess

That's kind of what I mean by "howlers" not being the point. Being a good goalkeeper isn't just about not making outright errors, it's about making good saves that bail your team out as well.

Is there a goalkeeper error in either of Morecambe's goals? No.
Do you see goalkeepers make saves in those 2 situations? Yes, sometimes.

Absolutely no reason to think that the keepers near the top of that list are getting more saveable shots than Hladky was. They're likely just getting the same mix and saving more of them!

Walton at Wycombe being a prime example. And also a couple against Charlton that turned out to be worthless! Walton's ability to come and just comfortably pluck a ball out of the sky under pressure is a big difference between the two.
Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:59 - Jan 4 with 1029 viewschicoazul

From what I’m given to understand we are trying to sign 3 players at the moment one of whom is a GK. The squad swells again. Herbs was right; too many players.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 12:00 - Jan 4 with 1018 viewsjayessess

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:43 - Jan 4 by StirlingArcher

Wasn't most of Hladky's bad games when we didn't have the Fridge up and running?

Played 6 league games together. These included Accrington (A) where the winner goes straight through him, Cambridge (A) where he falls over during their late equaliser, Shrewsbury (H) and Sheffield Wednesday (H) he also concedes long distance shots (another bad habit of his).

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 12:01 - Jan 4 with 1009 viewsblueislander

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:56 - Jan 4 by tractorboy1978

Walton at Wycombe being a prime example. And also a couple against Charlton that turned out to be worthless! Walton's ability to come and just comfortably pluck a ball out of the sky under pressure is a big difference between the two.

Walton’s distribution is far superior as well.
Walton heading back to Brighton… on 12:03 - Jan 4 with 993 viewstractorboy1978

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 12:01 - Jan 4 by blueislander

Walton’s distribution is far superior as well.

Disagree on that, I think Hladky is better with his feet. But that's a nice to have at this level and you first and foremost need to be doing the basics of commanding your area and making saves.
Walton heading back to Brighton… on 12:04 - Jan 4 with 982 viewsclive_baker

Walton heading back to Brighton… on 11:52 - Jan 4 by tractorboy1978

I don't really look too much into stats but with my own eyes he's looked woeful. MK Dons, Wimbledon, Accrington, Cambridge, Arsenal U21s off the top of my head he has made glaring errors. And there's been numerous times he's come and flapped and we've got lucky.

It's one of the biggest discrepancies between hype and performance I can remember from a Town player. Perhaps going from playing in front of no crowd at Salford (due to COVID) and coming here in front of 20,000+ has been daunting but he just looks to have no confidence at all. That can be built up for sure but I still think we can make the play-offs this season (hard as it may look right now) and not sure I'd be risking him in goal regularly right now.

Can't disagree with that, on the evidence we have seen so far he's made some absolute howlers, costly ones too. Just think there might be a keeper in there under a new regime, with a more settled side, with Edmundson in the fold etc. I guess time will tell.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024