Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil Whelan 12:56 - Mar 10 with 3575 viewsBiGDonnie

Was before my time following Ipswich, but keen to hear what Town fans thought of him? I've just met him (virtually) and had a great chat about his time with Ipswich. Top bloke.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Phil Whelan on 13:05 - Mar 10 with 2736 viewsIllinoisblue

Solid defender - debut header away at Southend in front of a packed away terrace. Now a teacher isn’t he?
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 13:10]

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Phil Whelan on 13:06 - Mar 10 with 2726 viewsBiGDonnie

Phil Whelan on 13:05 - Mar 10 by Illinoisblue

Solid defender - debut header away at Southend in front of a packed away terrace. Now a teacher isn’t he?
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 13:10]

Speaks very fondly of Town.

He's in finance now.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Phil Whelan on 13:10 - Mar 10 with 2701 viewsCoastalblue

I seem to remember him being quite quick, I always liked him though he was one of those that definitely had a ricket in him.

One of those you'd have expected to do better than ending up at Sarfend.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Phil Whelan on 13:10 - Mar 10 with 2691 viewsMattinLondon

Isn’t he a school teacher now?

I remember him being a solid yet limited defender.

He got sent off against Arsenal for telling a linesman to f**k off - happened right in front of me.
Phil Whelan on 13:11 - Mar 10 with 2689 viewsIllinoisblue

Phil Whelan on 13:06 - Mar 10 by BiGDonnie

Speaks very fondly of Town.

He's in finance now.

Nice to hear. Trying to think of prem game where he got injured, think it was man Utd at home. Ankle, iirc

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Phil Whelan on 13:11 - Mar 10 with 2688 viewsxrayspecs

He was a decent defender, came into the promotion winning team towards the end of the season. Scored in his first two games, which helped us climb up league (I think we won six on the bounce) and overcome Blackburn to win the title.

He was good in the air, and would have played a fair few games in the Prem for us.

Maybe it is time for Cameron Burgess to make his mark and spark a six game winning run...
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 13:13]
Phil Whelan on 13:14 - Mar 10 with 2625 viewsCoastalblue

Phil Whelan on 13:11 - Mar 10 by xrayspecs

He was a decent defender, came into the promotion winning team towards the end of the season. Scored in his first two games, which helped us climb up league (I think we won six on the bounce) and overcome Blackburn to win the title.

He was good in the air, and would have played a fair few games in the Prem for us.

Maybe it is time for Cameron Burgess to make his mark and spark a six game winning run...
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 13:13]

Shows how times have changed, England U21 defender, fairly regular in the Prem for a season, translate that to now and he'd probably never have to work again if he was sensible.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Phil Whelan on 13:19 - Mar 10 with 2576 viewssnotbucket

Very competent defender. I was in the north stand when he badly broke his ankle making a tackle in the penalty area. If I recall rightly (although it was a very long time ago) it was against Man Utd, he gave away a penalty and rather frustratingly it was a perfectly good tackle. I remember seeing his foot at right angles to his leg.
Login to get fewer ads

Phil Whelan on 13:59 - Mar 10 with 2426 viewsstonojnr

Phil Whelan on 13:19 - Mar 10 by snotbucket

Very competent defender. I was in the north stand when he badly broke his ankle making a tackle in the penalty area. If I recall rightly (although it was a very long time ago) it was against Man Utd, he gave away a penalty and rather frustratingly it was a perfectly good tackle. I remember seeing his foot at right angles to his leg.

yep it was 1st May 1994, at home v Man Utd, one of Skys Sunday matches, although we were standing right at the back of the North Stand, we still heard the snap when it happened, the collective gasp from the fans, followed by the yelp in pain and shouts from fans nearer the front, IIRC Schmeichal then threw up on the pitch when he saw Phils foot at right angles to his leg.

Fergie blamed it on the grass being kept too long near the goals, which upset the groundsman understandably, just one of those unfortunate things really.

I dont think Whelan ever really recovered from the injury at Town at least, before that he was a fairly solid, reliable defender, reasonably quick probably in comparison to the others in our defence at the time as youth was on his side, but would be considered slow by todays standards I think, had a habit of popping in the oppositions penalty box from time to time, though cant recall if it was just he got sent forward at set pieces, because he was quite tall, or went on mazy runs, only scored a couple of a goals though.

decent enough player IMO, without being outstanding, though I think we were sorry as a fanbase to see him leave, but whether that was because of the nature of his injury or he was that much of fan favourite I dont recall.
Phil Whelan on 14:09 - Mar 10 with 2393 viewsPlums

Solid player. I was at Forest one day looking for a spare ticket and this bloke gave me his. Turned out he was Phil's uncle (IIIRC) and his dad had been unable to go to the game so I got his seat. I sat next to the poor bloke as his nephew had a bit of stinker and got the usual abuse from the usual suspects.
It was an interesting experience as I really felt for him and had never considered what the ire of fans might feel like to their family members sat amongst them.
Always had a soft spot for Whelan after that.;

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Phil Whelan on 14:17 - Mar 10 with 2350 viewsbobbyramsey

Good defender, partnered David Linighan/Eddie Youds I think
Phil Whelan on 14:21 - Mar 10 with 2335 viewsITFC_Forever

Phil Whelan on 13:59 - Mar 10 by stonojnr

yep it was 1st May 1994, at home v Man Utd, one of Skys Sunday matches, although we were standing right at the back of the North Stand, we still heard the snap when it happened, the collective gasp from the fans, followed by the yelp in pain and shouts from fans nearer the front, IIRC Schmeichal then threw up on the pitch when he saw Phils foot at right angles to his leg.

Fergie blamed it on the grass being kept too long near the goals, which upset the groundsman understandably, just one of those unfortunate things really.

I dont think Whelan ever really recovered from the injury at Town at least, before that he was a fairly solid, reliable defender, reasonably quick probably in comparison to the others in our defence at the time as youth was on his side, but would be considered slow by todays standards I think, had a habit of popping in the oppositions penalty box from time to time, though cant recall if it was just he got sent forward at set pieces, because he was quite tall, or went on mazy runs, only scored a couple of a goals though.

decent enough player IMO, without being outstanding, though I think we were sorry as a fanbase to see him leave, but whether that was because of the nature of his injury or he was that much of fan favourite I dont recall.

Schmeichal threw up at the David Busst incident, for the Whelan one he was at the other end of the pitch.

I was on the front row of the North Stand and the incident happened right in front of me, his foot was pointing at 90 degrees to the rest of his leg, which was pretty grim.

Whelan will always be remembered for his two towering headers in his first two games, away at Southend and at home to Wolves, both of which we then went on to win by very late Neil Thompson goals (cut in and shot at Southend, penalty against Wolves).
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 14:21]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Phil Whelan on 14:31 - Mar 10 with 2282 viewsnodge_blue

I seem to remember he studied economics at the UEA.

I thought he was big and solid. Probably more like Cameron Burgess than Woolfie.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Phil Whelan on 14:43 - Mar 10 with 2221 viewsTrumptonBlue

Phil Whelan on 14:21 - Mar 10 by ITFC_Forever

Schmeichal threw up at the David Busst incident, for the Whelan one he was at the other end of the pitch.

I was on the front row of the North Stand and the incident happened right in front of me, his foot was pointing at 90 degrees to the rest of his leg, which was pretty grim.

Whelan will always be remembered for his two towering headers in his first two games, away at Southend and at home to Wolves, both of which we then went on to win by very late Neil Thompson goals (cut in and shot at Southend, penalty against Wolves).
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 14:21]

Steve Whitton scored the penalty against Wolves - Thommo has messed too many up by that time.

But yes, Whelan's contribution to that win and the Best Away Day Ever will not be forgotten.

Often forgotten, on the other hand, is that the Southend game wasn't his debut - he'd played at Bristol Rovers in the ZDS Cup ("Super Duper, David") earlier in the season.
Phil Whelan on 14:44 - Mar 10 with 2219 viewsGeoffSentence

I think he scored on both his away league debut and home league debut.

After the home one I was in the centre spot tryng to get a pint at the rather crowded bar. I'd just got to the front when some tall twot reached over my head, shoved his glass at the barmaid and said 'I'll have another pint in there please love', as you will have guessed, it was Phil Whelan.

Next time you have a chat with him, tell to show some consideration to those of a stature closer to Micky Stockwell than himself.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Phil Whelan on 14:59 - Mar 10 with 2157 viewsITFC_Forever

Phil Whelan on 14:43 - Mar 10 by TrumptonBlue

Steve Whitton scored the penalty against Wolves - Thommo has messed too many up by that time.

But yes, Whelan's contribution to that win and the Best Away Day Ever will not be forgotten.

Often forgotten, on the other hand, is that the Southend game wasn't his debut - he'd played at Bristol Rovers in the ZDS Cup ("Super Duper, David") earlier in the season.

Ah, you might be right about the penalty against Wolves.

I can remember shi22ing myself at the back of Churchmans he was going to miss.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Phil Whelan on 15:03 - Mar 10 with 2134 viewsCBBlue

Was about to say he scored in his first 2 games but see practically everyone has already beaten me to it. I was at the home game and can remember the 'Wheeee Laan chants think he'd go up every time we got a corner/set piece.

IIRC he completed a degree before playing for us.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

Phil Whelan on 15:09 - Mar 10 with 2106 viewsMookamoo

One of those players you wanted to do well and you never doubted his effort.

Part of that town side that looked like they all had the wrong legs attached. Steve Palmer, Dozzell, Whitton, Whelan and even Wark by that time all looked a bit 'agricultural'. Fun to watch though.
Phil Whelan on 15:24 - Mar 10 with 2035 viewsPhilTWTD

Phil Whelan on 15:03 - Mar 10 by CBBlue

Was about to say he scored in his first 2 games but see practically everyone has already beaten me to it. I was at the home game and can remember the 'Wheeee Laan chants think he'd go up every time we got a corner/set piece.

IIRC he completed a degree before playing for us.

First two league games, had already appeared in the Zenith Data Systems earlier in the season. Never scored again oddly. Think he did the degree while he was here.
Phil Whelan on 15:36 - Mar 10 with 1972 views3_5_2

Decent enough CB but sometimes played at LB for some reason and not his position at all.

In one game he completely rinsed by Chris Waddle all game (to be fair most LB were) and felt really sorry for him

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Phil Whelan on 15:48 - Mar 10 with 1944 viewsBloomBlue

Loved a beer or 8
Phil Whelan on 16:45 - Mar 10 with 1832 viewsfarkenhell

Phil Whelan on 14:59 - Mar 10 by ITFC_Forever

Ah, you might be right about the penalty against Wolves.

I can remember shi22ing myself at the back of Churchmans he was going to miss.

Steve Whitton never missed. One of the best penalty takers I ever saw.

*Cue someone posting a horrendous miss that I've long since forgotten about!
Phil Whelan on 17:07 - Mar 10 with 1773 viewsTrumptonBlue

Phil Whelan on 16:45 - Mar 10 by farkenhell

Steve Whitton never missed. One of the best penalty takers I ever saw.

*Cue someone posting a horrendous miss that I've long since forgotten about!

Not the most famous penalty miss in that game, mind.
Phil Whelan on 17:44 - Mar 10 with 1714 viewsITFCson

https://plprimarystars.com/news/phil-whelan-case-study
Phil Whelan on 18:02 - Mar 10 with 1659 viewsmonty_radio

Phil Whelan on 15:09 - Mar 10 by Mookamoo

One of those players you wanted to do well and you never doubted his effort.

Part of that town side that looked like they all had the wrong legs attached. Steve Palmer, Dozzell, Whitton, Whelan and even Wark by that time all looked a bit 'agricultural'. Fun to watch though.

Dozzell oozed class.

Whelan was enthusiastic and a bit raw until you realise that the injury which finished him here as a top prospect was sustained at age 23. Still had a reasonable career though till packing in early at 31.
[Post edited 10 Mar 2022 18:07]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024