Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post your "WOW" song 09:25 - Jun 23 with 3267 viewsGlasgowBlue

The song that made you go "wow". A song that gave you a feeling that hasn't been bettered since. And maybe even a story to go with it.

Long story short, I was off school after twisting my left nut the night before playing squash. It was the morning after John Lennon had been murdered and confined to my bed I listened to Radio One's all day coverage. This came on, I think it was played by Andy Peebles, and it stopped me in my tracks.

Some have come close but none have bettered this.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Post your "WOW" song on 11:48 - Jun 23 with 801 viewsMookamoo

Post your "WOW" song on 11:39 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

Slade played 1980, they were a late addition, in decline but stole the show.

I just wondered if you were a Reading person you might have seen them - i've never done it, a bit heavy for me.

I'm glad you posted, you have reminded me I need to email you, hope you're not too busy, loads to do - problem is, when I do get any time to think about things I end up on here.

Must do better!

1990 was my first Reading. Went to Monsters of Rock a few times previous but can't remember Slade.

Coincidently I'm away most of next week at the Timber festival. Nice little festival where you get to sit down with an organic sheeps milk ice cream and watch some folky band do some hey nonny nonny-ing.
Post your "WOW" song on 11:52 - Jun 23 with 771 viewshype313

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Post your "WOW" song on 11:53 - Jun 23 with 766 viewsChurchman

Post your "WOW" song on 11:39 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

Slade played 1980, they were a late addition, in decline but stole the show.

I just wondered if you were a Reading person you might have seen them - i've never done it, a bit heavy for me.

I'm glad you posted, you have reminded me I need to email you, hope you're not too busy, loads to do - problem is, when I do get any time to think about things I end up on here.

Must do better!

Had tickets to see Slade at the Woolwich Tramshed in I think the late 80s. It was cancelled through lack of interest. Gutted.
Post your "WOW" song on 11:56 - Jun 23 with 755 viewsLord_Lucan

Post your "WOW" song on 11:48 - Jun 23 by Mookamoo

1990 was my first Reading. Went to Monsters of Rock a few times previous but can't remember Slade.

Coincidently I'm away most of next week at the Timber festival. Nice little festival where you get to sit down with an organic sheeps milk ice cream and watch some folky band do some hey nonny nonny-ing.

Sounds horrific

I'd better get my arse in gear as I need a mail shot going out Tuesday.......Sort yourself out Lucan!

I just googled it, it's only 11 miles away from our new command and control centre (warehouse)

We are in Tutbury

If you get bored nonny nonny-ing you could go and take some pictures for the new brochure

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Post your "WOW" song on 12:02 - Jun 23 with 746 viewsjaykay

as a 9 year old hearing this for the first time got me into music

then hearing this intro at 15

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Post your "WOW" song on 12:48 - Jun 23 with 704 viewsthorpedo

Thorpedo

Post your "WOW" song on 12:51 - Jun 23 with 702 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Hearing this on holiday in France as a 10-year old, played by the kid in the adjacent mobile home, kickstarted my huge love for RHCP which continues to this day above and beyond anything else.

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Post your "WOW" song on 13:59 - Jun 23 with 657 viewsEwan_Oozami

Post your "WOW" song on 10:42 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

Back in the day I was at a crazy party and I was really getting into Pink Floyd and thought I was billy bog bollox by knowing everything...

..and then this come on!

Edit - side note. The song has a few special memories as well. 1/ The aforementioned party. 2/ Live at Docklands my mate done too much acid and had to go outside, I went with him, it was raining and I missed this track. 3/ Live at Earls Court (which is the video above) I had just peaked when this came on and I was so shot to bits I just started laughing and everyone around me thought I was a mad man.

Edit Edit; I was reading Guy Pratts book recently and he mentioned that although they had booked and sold out 14 days solid at Earls Court, no one had looked to see if the stage set would fit - it did though, with four inches to spare.

Pop pickers - play the video even if your'e not really in to Floyd, I think that show really hit the limits - and we are talking nearly 30 years ago
[Post edited 23 Jun 2022 14:21]

As an aside, do you listen to Guy and Gary Kemp's Rockonteurs podcast? Really interesting, even if one isn't a hardened muso...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Login to get fewer ads

Post your "WOW" song on 14:20 - Jun 23 with 634 viewsLord_Lucan

Post your "WOW" song on 13:59 - Jun 23 by Ewan_Oozami

As an aside, do you listen to Guy and Gary Kemp's Rockonteurs podcast? Really interesting, even if one isn't a hardened muso...

No, but thanks, I'll give it a look.

They play together in Mason's band don't they.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Post your "WOW" song on 14:34 - Jun 23 with 612 viewsEwan_Oozami

Post your "WOW" song on 14:20 - Jun 23 by Lord_Lucan

No, but thanks, I'll give it a look.

They play together in Mason's band don't they.

Good stuff LL! Yep, they do, I was hoping to see them in Ipswich recently but that was still sold out with the pre-pandemic tickets so will have to wait till next year probably!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Post your "WOW" song on 14:53 - Jun 23 with 601 viewsLord_Lucan

Post your "WOW" song on 14:34 - Jun 23 by Ewan_Oozami

Good stuff LL! Yep, they do, I was hoping to see them in Ipswich recently but that was still sold out with the pre-pandemic tickets so will have to wait till next year probably!

Same here

The problem though is everyone is dying.

Post your "WOW" song on 15:06 - Jun 23 with 590 viewsBucklebury_blue

Post your "WOW" song on 10:41 - Jun 23 by You_Bloo_Right

An impressionable young teenager casting around for "his" music bought the Island sampler Nice Enough to Eat (mainly because it was cheap).

"Well I'm liking a lot of that", he thought halfway through the second side of the album and then this .....

Bam! Hooked!

Have to say that that sampler album and other Island releases coloured my music purchases for years afterwards.

There’ll be a few on here going ‘ what do they mean, ‘second side’? Hi
Post your "WOW" song on 15:17 - Jun 23 with 582 viewsFunge

Post your "WOW" song on 09:29 - Jun 23 by chicoazul

First time I heard the below, I was off my actual lips on pills; it sent me off somewhere over there. Still get shivers now, unut.

1994, oooof.

Post your "WOW" song on 15:23 - Jun 23 with 577 viewsGlasgowBlue

Post your "WOW" song on 11:44 - Jun 23 by SouperJim

Final song of their set at Cambridge, 1996. Just a feeling of euphoria and togetherness amongst the crowd having just witnessed one of the all time great British bands at their peak, complete strangers linking arms etc.

I still love them and follow them to this day, but that album was something else.

I've seen the Manics live on every tour they have done since around 94. And yes, they still deliver.

Iron Lion Zion

Post your "WOW" song on 15:25 - Jun 23 with 574 viewsKeno

Post your "WOW" song on 11:44 - Jun 23 by SouperJim

Final song of their set at Cambridge, 1996. Just a feeling of euphoria and togetherness amongst the crowd having just witnessed one of the all time great British bands at their peak, complete strangers linking arms etc.

I still love them and follow them to this day, but that album was something else.

can I add 3 tracks?

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Post your "WOW" song on 15:44 - Jun 23 with 543 viewsSouperJim

Post your "WOW" song on 15:23 - Jun 23 by GlasgowBlue

I've seen the Manics live on every tour they have done since around 94. And yes, they still deliver.

I've not missed many tours, my first was The Holy Bible tour at the tender age of 14 due to a particularly cool uncle and I have been hooked ever since.

Ironically enough the worst Manics gig I've seen was the 20th anniversary Holy Bible gig at Cardiff Castle. The second (greatest hits) set was good, but they just couldn't recapture the outright fury of the message 20 years down the line. Having said that my opinion my have been coloured somewhat by barely arriving in time for the start of the set and being way back, thanks to some braindead mini driver going firmly into the back of me in stationary traffic on the M4.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Post your "WOW" song on 15:50 - Jun 23 with 544 viewsGlasgowBlue

Post your "WOW" song on 15:44 - Jun 23 by SouperJim

I've not missed many tours, my first was The Holy Bible tour at the tender age of 14 due to a particularly cool uncle and I have been hooked ever since.

Ironically enough the worst Manics gig I've seen was the 20th anniversary Holy Bible gig at Cardiff Castle. The second (greatest hits) set was good, but they just couldn't recapture the outright fury of the message 20 years down the line. Having said that my opinion my have been coloured somewhat by barely arriving in time for the start of the set and being way back, thanks to some braindead mini driver going firmly into the back of me in stationary traffic on the M4.

If memory serves, the Greatest Hits tour was about 2002 or 2003. Ian Brown nwas the support and he was awful.

The best Manics tour for me was when the played the complete Everything Must Go album. I thought it was quite recent before remembering it was actually 8 years ago.

Last saw them at the Glasgow Barrowlands last October. James Dean Bradfield carries the whole thing. Works so hard on stage.

Iron Lion Zion

Post your "WOW" song on 16:07 - Jun 23 with 528 viewsjontysnut

Probably around 1973. Friend's dad was a bit of a hifi and jazz buff. I was into the usual chart stuff. He had some big headphones on the end of a long curly lead. Listen to this, he said. It was Weather Report. Blew my mind. I've loved unfashionbable fusion/jazz rock ever since.
Post your "WOW" song on 16:33 - Jun 23 with 509 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Post your "WOW" song on 16:07 - Jun 23 by jontysnut

Probably around 1973. Friend's dad was a bit of a hifi and jazz buff. I was into the usual chart stuff. He had some big headphones on the end of a long curly lead. Listen to this, he said. It was Weather Report. Blew my mind. I've loved unfashionbable fusion/jazz rock ever since.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Post your "WOW" song on 16:47 - Jun 23 with 502 viewsOldsmoker

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Post your "WOW" song on 16:55 - Jun 23 with 495 viewsBLUEBEAT

Poll: W or W

Post your "WOW" song on 17:37 - Jun 23 with 474 viewsghostofescobar

Post your "WOW" song on 16:47 - Jun 23 by Oldsmoker

I remember (well, I was there, not sure how much I can genuinely remember, if you know what I mean!) seeing Adamski perform that at the Braintree Barn (Mangled on a Friday night) - probably 1989!!

GhostOfEscobar

Post your "WOW" song on 17:45 - Jun 23 with 460 viewsghostofescobar

GhostOfEscobar

Post your "WOW" song on 18:41 - Jun 23 with 425 viewsjontysnut

Post your "WOW" song on 16:33 - Jun 23 by You_Bloo_Right

There used to be a chap on Felixstowe market a few years ago selling records and CDs. He liked this kind of stuff and sold me a couple of Larry Coryell albums. To quote his sales patter, 'sweet'.
Post your "WOW" song on 19:10 - Jun 23 with 414 viewsDmodeboy

Heard it on the radio at the age of 16. My musical tastes were branching out all over the place, but after hearing this I knew I'd found 'my' band.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024