Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One 13:04 - Jul 8 with 11430 viewsMellyMel55

So what's it like in League One ?

I've heard rumours of shocking referees and horrendous time wasting but just wanted the thoughts from fans of a similar sized recent Championship club ?

Quality of football, treatment from other teams fans etc.

All the best
Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 16:07 - Jul 8 with 1122 viewsFrimleyBlue

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 16:05 - Jul 8 by AlanG296

Well actually old fashioned TV was as close to live as you can get. Satellite, cable, streaming all have delays, maybe only seconds but that means it's not live. Compare a mw radio commentary with a stream, cable or satellite. You'll see the delay.

Shocking. False advertising by all then. Should clearly state highlights.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 16:11 - Jul 8 with 1105 viewsAlanG296

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 16:07 - Jul 8 by FrimleyBlue

Shocking. False advertising by all then. Should clearly state highlights.

You can't tell the difference between a slightly delayed transmission of the whole game and highlights? There's no hope for you. Come to a live game and watch it with your own eyes, rather than what the camera views.
Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 16:13 - Jul 8 with 1099 viewshype313

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 15:55 - Jul 8 by FrimleyBlue

Not sure what that has to do with my question to him. He said the only way it's live is if you are there.

Feel sorry for the OP having his thread moved away from the OP. Such silly posters.

Silly posters

Absolute gold.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 16:16 - Jul 8 with 1091 viewsFrimleyBlue

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 16:11 - Jul 8 by AlanG296

You can't tell the difference between a slightly delayed transmission of the whole game and highlights? There's no hope for you. Come to a live game and watch it with your own eyes, rather than what the camera views.

Just saying. Wimbledon is saying live semi final.
I'm currently watching f1. It's says live qualifying but now based on your words I have no choice but to call it false advertising. Its not live.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 16:17 - Jul 8 with 1091 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 15:56 - Jul 8 by Ely_Blue

Can’t give it up can you! Fraud

There a a few in this thread that can't give it up from what I can see.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 16:27 - Jul 8 with 1058 viewsdirtyboy

Stop behaving like kids, jesus, we've got a well mannered fan come along for a chat and you're being muppets, I don't care who started it.

Anyway, MellyMel..

Lots already been mentioned, but there are some decent coaches/managers in this league, and some guys like Ainsworth who are no mugs, been around ages working with small budgets doing wonders.

Coleman at Accrington, Karl Robinson at Oxford are two others who know their stuff.

Evatt has turned Bolton around, Hasselbaink is doing well on his budget.

Bristol Rovers have Barton, who, whilst a questionable person, has shown he can get a team playing, no idea how well they'll do.

Cowley is reasonably well regarded and will do what they need to do to win games, pragmatic and no doubt be a thorn in many sides.

Sheffield Wednesday a behemoth of a club at this level.

Manning has MKD playing some really very good quality football, was surprised more that he hasn't moved onto a higher league, but he's a good coach and they'll be good you can be assured.

You've got your Peterborough and Barnsley, who are coming down with players with Championship experience, so they're well equipped to do well in this league if they're not totally devoid of confidence.

Then you've got your Forest Green, Port Vale (again Bristol) and Exeter, we all know a bit of momentum can do wonders, so complete unknowns and no idea how competitive those teams could be, you can bet that when you go from playing in front of your extended family and some old dude called Bob behind the goal, to 20k they'll be playing like they're in the world cup!

So, all in all....it's a really really strange league. Some smatterings of good players who haven't had their big break yet, similarly coaches/managers plying their trade.

Ultimately, it's football, and i've enjoyed watching Ipswich as much in the last year as I have done any year bar the promotions and that McCarthy year.

Enjoy the ride.

Oh, one club, Derby, no idea, probably be like Bolton, struggle for a bit, then hit their stride and make a late push, but who knows.
Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 16:58 - Jul 8 with 986 viewshappybeingblue

its a whole lot harder than you expect and the fans who complain have not got their heads around our relegation yet or seem to have a sense of entitlement re us , i find it a bit embarrrassing if i am honest and often a total lack of respect of the opposition. so as long as you do not fall into that trap you will enjoy it.
Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 17:18 - Jul 8 with 936 viewsChondzoresk

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 16:27 - Jul 8 by dirtyboy

Stop behaving like kids, jesus, we've got a well mannered fan come along for a chat and you're being muppets, I don't care who started it.

Anyway, MellyMel..

Lots already been mentioned, but there are some decent coaches/managers in this league, and some guys like Ainsworth who are no mugs, been around ages working with small budgets doing wonders.

Coleman at Accrington, Karl Robinson at Oxford are two others who know their stuff.

Evatt has turned Bolton around, Hasselbaink is doing well on his budget.

Bristol Rovers have Barton, who, whilst a questionable person, has shown he can get a team playing, no idea how well they'll do.

Cowley is reasonably well regarded and will do what they need to do to win games, pragmatic and no doubt be a thorn in many sides.

Sheffield Wednesday a behemoth of a club at this level.

Manning has MKD playing some really very good quality football, was surprised more that he hasn't moved onto a higher league, but he's a good coach and they'll be good you can be assured.

You've got your Peterborough and Barnsley, who are coming down with players with Championship experience, so they're well equipped to do well in this league if they're not totally devoid of confidence.

Then you've got your Forest Green, Port Vale (again Bristol) and Exeter, we all know a bit of momentum can do wonders, so complete unknowns and no idea how competitive those teams could be, you can bet that when you go from playing in front of your extended family and some old dude called Bob behind the goal, to 20k they'll be playing like they're in the world cup!

So, all in all....it's a really really strange league. Some smatterings of good players who haven't had their big break yet, similarly coaches/managers plying their trade.

Ultimately, it's football, and i've enjoyed watching Ipswich as much in the last year as I have done any year bar the promotions and that McCarthy year.

Enjoy the ride.

Oh, one club, Derby, no idea, probably be like Bolton, struggle for a bit, then hit their stride and make a late push, but who knows.

To our tame Derby fan. You only need to read Dirtyboys post. Spot on from start to finish.
Login to get fewer ads

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 17:36 - Jul 8 with 902 viewsMellyMel55

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 17:18 - Jul 8 by Chondzoresk

To our tame Derby fan. You only need to read Dirtyboys post. Spot on from start to finish.

Cheers and thanks for all the feedback from everyone (apart from the in-house squabbles, lol)

As for tame, it's pre season so the time for peace & goodwill.

Once the starting pistol fires in 3 weeks and i've had a few beers, i'll be like everyone else
[Post edited 8 Jul 2022 17:37]
Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 17:38 - Jul 8 with 897 viewsmonty_radio

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 15:21 - Jul 8 by quirkie

It is really two leagues in one.

Plymouth missed out on the play offs last season and they got 80 pts!! That would have got them automatic in league 2.

Basically an no real disrespect, there are 9 or 10 really tin pot teams in this league who will treat a game against the "bigger" sides as their cup final and sh!ithouse, time waste and cheat their way to a point.

Enjoy.

With the way that money is distributed and the number of promotion/relegation places available every league from the Prem to the National League has become virtually a league of two halves.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 18:49 - Jul 8 with 829 viewsskinnybob72

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 13:38 - Jul 8 by jayessess

Contra the majority on here... Whilst it's likely you'll get frustrated at timewasting and bad referees, I don't think it's actually any worse in League One than in the Championship. It's true that teams that are getting the result they want will often try to ensure as little football as possible is played. It's also true that referees aren't very effective at preventing that. But the same is true at all levels of football, up to and including the Champions League.

In League One you get National List rather than Select Group 2 referees, so they are lower standard (according to the FA). I find the main way that manifests itself is that occasionally they'll do something utterly bizarre (like trying to headbutt our players) but the actual refereeing is much of a muchness.

I suppose the main things you'll note - the quality of opposition teams is surprisingly high and higher now than it was when we came down in 2019. League One has been steadily accumulating down-on-their-luck Championship-sized clubs for a while now and you'll find at least 7 or 8 sides down here big enough to be competitive at the level above with the right management. IMO It's easier to stay in the Championship than escape League One. There's also a pack of over-achieving mid-size clubs that seem to find an inexhaustible supply of good young players. The rest are generally miniscule clubs with small grounds and small pitches, who play in a disciplined, organised fashion, with a great deal of athleticism and a sprinkling of good ability.

If your lot, like ours, get bogged down in complaining about refs and gamesmanship, you'll know that you've screwed up, basically.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2022 13:43]

This is probably as fair a description of League 1 as any. Teams are in league 1 because they deserve to be - whether they are a big team down on their luck, or badly run - or a small team punching above their weight.

Town, nor Derby, can expect to just turn up week in week out and pick up 3 points because they have a proud history or large fanbase. Small teams see these are cup finals, to use a well worn cliché, and points will be hard earned if either team want to finish top 2.
Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 19:27 - Jul 8 with 802 viewsDarth_Koont

“What’s it like in League One?” Good question.

I think it’s a really tough league and a lot tougher than the Championship in a way. The standard is a lot higher in the Championship clearly but it always felt as if success could be just around the corner. And that league is “success-adjacent” on the edge of the Prem so I think a lot of the fans, players and owners are happy to be there. Players, in particular, know they’ve got several ways to get into the Prem and they can also feel like a success in the Championship.

A lot of that seems to evaporate in League One. It feels like an uphill struggle and what you gain from being a big club and with a leading budget, you seem to lose with the feeling of not being where you want to be and not really getting the same joy from a win, little satisfaction from a draw and a crushing dejection with each loss. So motivation, confidence and momentum seem much harder to get and keep than they should be.

So, it’s no surprise that the three sides that went up were the strongest and toughest over a full season and when it mattered in the playoffs. Wigan were the strongest at scoring goals and maximizing results, Rotherham were the strongest physically and very direct and effective, and Sunderland were mentally the toughest at sticking in games and sticking in the race despite not looking a very good football team. MK Dons were unlucky because in any other year their strength as a pure footballing team would have seen them up as champions.

We were a long way off that except for a patch of a dozen games with the new manager. But I think that team strength and the resilience it gives is the key ingredient to grinding out the wins and a successful season in a league that just doesn’t have the same buzz, energy and attention to feed off as the Championship.

Pronouns: He/Him

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 21:59 - Jul 8 with 710 viewsunstableblue

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 19:27 - Jul 8 by Darth_Koont

“What’s it like in League One?” Good question.

I think it’s a really tough league and a lot tougher than the Championship in a way. The standard is a lot higher in the Championship clearly but it always felt as if success could be just around the corner. And that league is “success-adjacent” on the edge of the Prem so I think a lot of the fans, players and owners are happy to be there. Players, in particular, know they’ve got several ways to get into the Prem and they can also feel like a success in the Championship.

A lot of that seems to evaporate in League One. It feels like an uphill struggle and what you gain from being a big club and with a leading budget, you seem to lose with the feeling of not being where you want to be and not really getting the same joy from a win, little satisfaction from a draw and a crushing dejection with each loss. So motivation, confidence and momentum seem much harder to get and keep than they should be.

So, it’s no surprise that the three sides that went up were the strongest and toughest over a full season and when it mattered in the playoffs. Wigan were the strongest at scoring goals and maximizing results, Rotherham were the strongest physically and very direct and effective, and Sunderland were mentally the toughest at sticking in games and sticking in the race despite not looking a very good football team. MK Dons were unlucky because in any other year their strength as a pure footballing team would have seen them up as champions.

We were a long way off that except for a patch of a dozen games with the new manager. But I think that team strength and the resilience it gives is the key ingredient to grinding out the wins and a successful season in a league that just doesn’t have the same buzz, energy and attention to feed off as the Championship.

What he said

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 22:26 - Jul 8 with 688 viewsGeoffSentence

You have a gem in McGoldrick

Not sure that he will be robust enough for this diviion though/

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 23:30 - Jul 8 with 640 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 14:22 - Jul 8 by MellyMel55

Yes, we've got plenty of Twitter goons thinking we'll be doing that.

More reasonable Derby fans know different.

We've made some decent signings but :

We have a rookie manager
We can't pay any transfer fees, hence why we're getting older players on 1 or 2 year deals
We're under an EFL agreed business plan which we cannot exceed
We can't pay loan fees or fees to agents
Our academy has been brilliant but the last 9 months has been mugged by Premiership & European clubs - for little or no fees

We need to be realistic & most are

I am glad most are and I hope Liam Rosenior does well. I have always liked him.

As for the OP, it is a stroll in the park. Decent sides walk it no problem. With the right manager and set up, us, Portsmouth, Sheffield Wednesday, Bolton, Charlton, Oxford, Peterborough, Barnsley, Wycombe and yourselves will all find it easy. There is usually a surprise package or two as well. Remind me how many clubs get promoted again. It is 12 isn't it?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 23:40 - Jul 8 with 636 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 22:26 - Jul 8 by GeoffSentence

You have a gem in McGoldrick

Not sure that he will be robust enough for this diviion though/

If he plays 30+ matches he will be superb for you.

If he misses most matches he will be an expensive drain on your resources.

My heart is sad he isn't playing for us next season. My head is glad.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Derby fan here asking what to expect in League One on 04:25 - Jul 9 with 575 viewstextbackup

Crap league.

you'll draw/lose to teams that you'd not heard of many years ago.

refs are absolutely terrible, but we've only got ourselves to blame for being down here.

dont get too worked up blaming refs, the way our stands react to refs we already know are dreadful is just pointless, work on supporting your team harder for them to find a way to beat sht teams and crap refs

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024