Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. 17:29 - Nov 17 with 7329 viewscbower

I was disgnosed with prostate cancer today at a level that may spread. Will have a bone scan now before treatment is decided on. I'm 56 and only got checked after being brow-beaten into it. So fellas ( of a certain age), PLEASE GET CHECKED OUT (yes I'm shouting I know)

bluescouser

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:31 - Nov 17 with 4284 viewshoppy

Sorry to read that - wish you all the best for a full and speedy recovery with whatever treatment you may need to now undergo.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:31 - Nov 17 with 4271 viewstextbackup

Sorry to read this mate

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:33 - Nov 17 with 4241 viewsPlums

Really sorry to hear that mate. Well done for getting checked and for using it to warn others.
All the best.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:36 - Nov 17 with 4232 viewssoupytwist

Blimey, hope things work out OK for you.

If anyone reading this wants to get tested, someone posted on here a while back about this organisation - https://chaps.mypsatests.org.uk/

I arranged a blood test through them about a year ago - very easy, very quick, not painful and although there is a cost it's reasonable.

Do it.

Had a quick check of their website, looks like they were in the ITFC catchment area last month, but worth keeping an eye on their site for new testing sessions.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 17:40]
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:38 - Nov 17 with 4199 viewsPhilTWTD

Sorry to hear this. Hope you have better news from the bone scan.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:39 - Nov 17 with 4172 viewsford6600

Sorry to hear that. Wish you a full and speedy recovery.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:41 - Nov 17 with 4136 viewsEdwardStone

ATB fella

Fingers crossed for some good news for you
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:44 - Nov 17 with 4097 viewsjasondozzell

Sorry to hear this. All the best with the treatment.
Login to get fewer ads

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:46 - Nov 17 with 4077 viewsthatbdude

I'm so sorry for that. Best wishes and hope for a full recovery

Poll: Who going down?

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:46 - Nov 17 with 4075 viewsDubtractor

Sorry to hear this - hope you have a quick and full recovery.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:47 - Nov 17 with 4065 viewsWeWereZombies

That's bad news (obviously), I have a neighbour who has been through prostate cancer treatment, quite a few nights in hospital over the last couple of years but he seems to have gotten through it and is back working on his boat and managing the local pier now. Hope your treatment goes as well as can be expected and please keep us informed of how you are.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:47 - Nov 17 with 4071 viewsgarygboltonblue

So sorry to hear that ,wish you well .

I have ignored all requests from nearest and dearest to get checked out ,this is the kick I have needed , thank you for sharing
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:47 - Nov 17 with 4061 views_clive_baker_

Sorry to hear of that diagnosis mate.

Wishing you all the best with your treatment and recovery.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:48 - Nov 17 with 4055 viewsfarkenhell

All the best cbowyer.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:50 - Nov 17 with 4032 viewsfactual_blue

I hope all goes well. It's a shame that there isn't a screening programme, but from what I understand (and I'm sure Staff Nurse Badger will correct me) the PSA test isn't reliable enough on its own, and gives too many false negatives (or positives).

In years to come, by the way, you'll get invited to have a biennial bowel cancer test. This involves sending your poo to Nottingham.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:51 - Nov 17 with 4028 viewsgtsb1966

May I add that the symptoms are not obvious but there are things to be concerned about. Peeing a lot at night, thinking you have finished and having a dribble after, and the one I went to the docs with was wanting a pee but as soon as I went there was a delay or weakness of flow at first. When I went my prostate was enlarged so they sent me for a blood test. It is called a PSA test and mine was higher than normal. They then send you for a scan. Thankfully mine was clear and now they blood test me once a year. If you have any of the above symptoms GO to your doctor. I have everything crossed for you cbower and may I just offer you some comfort that my friend was in the same situation as you and had 20 sessions of radiotherapy and now is cancer free. Good luck.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2023 18:35]
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:52 - Nov 17 with 4005 viewsgiant_stow

Really sorry to hear that - fingers crossed for you and the fight ahead.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:54 - Nov 17 with 3983 viewshoppy

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:52 - Nov 17 by giant_stow

Really sorry to hear that - fingers crossed for you and the fight ahead.

That will mean a lot to him, given how many fingers you've got to be able to cross...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:54 - Nov 17 with 3977 viewsgtsb1966

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:50 - Nov 17 by factual_blue

I hope all goes well. It's a shame that there isn't a screening programme, but from what I understand (and I'm sure Staff Nurse Badger will correct me) the PSA test isn't reliable enough on its own, and gives too many false negatives (or positives).

In years to come, by the way, you'll get invited to have a biennial bowel cancer test. This involves sending your poo to Nottingham.

The psa test is a guide but it does lead to an MRI scan if readings are high.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 17:54 - Nov 17 with 3970 viewsTresBonne

Hope everything works out for you mate.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:09 - Nov 17 with 3851 viewsnoggin

Best wishes for a full recovery.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:22 - Nov 17 with 3774 viewsVanSaParody

Hope all goes well...
I won't add to those who've already said they'll keep their "fingers crossed" as I'm sure having been checked, it's already brought enough of a tear to the eye
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:26 - Nov 17 with 3758 viewsMK1

I have an annual health check. 50+ are eligible. All the very best to you and hope it is treatable and you make a full recovery. Also, thank you for being open and passing the message on. Take care.
Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:28 - Nov 17 with 3749 viewsRyorry

So sorry, must be a helluva shock for you. All the very best for the bone scan & future treatment. If you feel like a chat at any time, feel free to PM me, I'm often up in the wee (sorry ...) small hours.

*Very* good message to send out for people to get checked. My bro died of testicular cancer age 29 back in the 1970s - he might still be alive if he'd gone to the doc a lot sooner. Regular breast-checks should be a thing as well - it's not just women who can develop breast cancer.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Gents, get yourself checked, PLEASE. It's important. on 18:34 - Nov 17 with 3721 viewsTVRBlue

Firstly, sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

Well done for getting checked, for posting about it on here, and for urging others to get checked out.

Recently, I was invited by my doctor's surgery to make an appointment for a "general" health check-up due to my age. Anyway, whilst undergoing the check-up the nurse took a blood sample to be checked, what for exactly I had no idea. I asked the nurse if my PSA would be one of the things checked and was surprised, due to my age, to be told it wouldn't be. The nurse did advise that I could make a separate appointment for a prostate check-up if I wanted one, and I booked this as I left the surgery.

Within a few days I had an appointment to give a further blood sample, and an appointment with my doctor for an examination. I was okay with giving the blood sample - years of being a blood donor helps with that side of things - but I must admit, I was a little anxious about the examination. However, my doctor was very good, and very gentle!

I felt extremely fortunate, and grateful, when my test results came back as "normal" and "nothing to worry about".

This isn't meant as a "look at me post". The above is to make other men "of a certain age" as cbower quite rightly puts it, aware as to how easy the process can be to get checked out.

Finally, to cbower, a big "thank you" for posting, and I wish you all the best with the forthcoming scan. Please stay positive and, if you wish to, let us know how things progress. If you'd like to private message me when you get your scan results please do so. Happy to support if needed.

Take care.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024