Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leif Davis 12:13 - Jan 4 with 4488 viewsurbanblue

I've been thinking of something the last few days which is ... would you accept an offer of 10 to 15 million for Davis if it meant having the extra money to bring in 3 quality additions.

My head explodes thinking about it and I just don't know how I'd feel ...

Thoughts?
[Post edited 4 Jan 12:14]
Leif Davis on 12:52 - Jan 4 with 947 viewsWestcountryblue

No need to sell Davis right now.

Our priority this window is keep the core of our squad together and add 4-5 quality additions to take us to that next level. 'If' we can do that, we are well set, whether that's really going for a top 2 finish or have a really competitive squad that will go toe-to-toe with any side in the play offs.

Come the end of the season, if Leif continues his current trajectory, we are talking 20m+. Left sided fullbacks come at a premium.
Leif Davis on 12:55 - Jan 4 with 926 viewsitfcsuth

I think the reality is if someone put anywhere north of £10 M on the table for him I think we would, and probably should accept that.

With the model we will probably want to operate with long term, to buy for £1M and sell for £10M would fit the game plan.

The aim would be to rinse and repeat that of course.
Leif Davis on 12:55 - Jan 4 with 915 viewsSitfcB

Leif Davis on 12:18 - Jan 4 by chicoazul

Weird how he is injured at the moment….Just when the window opens.

What difference does it make? Clubs still buy injured players.

I doubt we’d f’ck ourselves over by not having one of our best players playing, can just reject any bids.

McKenna basically said they’d be no one being sold who’s part of the main group anyway.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Leif Davis on 12:59 - Jan 4 with 904 viewsjayessess

Given that we're currently massively out-performing our budget, I'd be pretty hesitant to take any key components out until the Summer.

You don't 100% know what disruption it'll cause to the overall functioning of the unit and you haven't got time to integrate new players or come up with a new plan. Look at how long it took Coventry to get it together after their Summer sales/purchases.

To even consider a January sale, I'd want a massive premium on what we might expect in the Summer, so £20-30m instead of £10-15m.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Leif Davis on 13:00 - Jan 4 with 899 viewsDinnernotTea

Leif Davis on 12:37 - Jan 4 by TractorCam

But in this climate, £10m is no good. Ashton got Brighton to pay £25m for Adam Webster, a centre back for a mid table side. Davis is a left back of a team chasing promotion and has the most assists in the league (maybe), meaning he is worth way more than that.

No one knows figures but question if you could replace him with 3 quality players, would you? It's a no brainer for me.

Make no mistake Ashton will have an idea/plan when he will likely cash in on Davis/Chaplin in order to reinvest. That's normal for a second tier club/every club. Wouldn't shock me if behind the scenes we already have an idea who would replace Davis/McKenna once they leave. Ashton already admitted that about McKenna. "Go and find the next one" or similar he said.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

Leif Davis on 13:18 - Jan 4 with 831 viewsHerbivore

Leif Davis on 12:39 - Jan 4 by urbanblue

Yes, of course, his worth to us is massive but we also need a top class striker or two and it could be argued that that is more important especially if we are struggling to get the names we want.

Say Fulham offered Stansfield as part of a deal for Davis for example. It could be the only thing on the table for us.

My mind is working overtime I know ...
[Post edited 4 Jan 12:40]

But if we sell Davis we then need a quality left back in addition to a centre forward or two and clubs will know we have money to spend. Just don't see selling him being remotely likely unless it's for ridiculous money. It'd have to be an eighth figure fee starting with a two for us to even give it a second thought.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Leif Davis on 13:27 - Jan 4 with 807 viewsHerbivore

Leif Davis on 12:55 - Jan 4 by itfcsuth

I think the reality is if someone put anywhere north of £10 M on the table for him I think we would, and probably should accept that.

With the model we will probably want to operate with long term, to buy for £1M and sell for £10M would fit the game plan.

The aim would be to rinse and repeat that of course.

There's zero chance we'd sell him on for £10m this month.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Leif Davis on 13:29 - Jan 4 with 812 viewsNthQldITFC

Leif Davis on 12:52 - Jan 4 by chicoazul

My guess would be almost exactly all of January.

I can't tell if you're being serious? You don't think that we'd keep our most creative player out of the team for a month at a probable cost of five or six points, because that might make dozens of other teams who will have gigabytes of film and data on him suddenly forget he exists?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Leif Davis on 13:33 - Jan 4 with 794 viewsIllinoisblue

Leif Davis on 12:14 - Jan 4 by Zx1988

Did we ever get chapter and verse on whether it would be possible to make those signings anyway, whilst keeping hold of Leif, and then selling him in the summer to make up the shortfall if we fail to get promoted?

Does that work within FFP, or is it wishful thinking?

Isn’t that kinda sorta what Forest are potentially in trouble for with the sale of Brennan Johnson?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Leif Davis on 13:33 - Jan 4 with 798 viewswrightsrightglove

I think at £15million up front with some decent add ons we’d seriously consider it, especially if the buying club were willing to loan him back to us for the rest of the season.

If it allowed us to bring in 3 x £5millon players (4 if you include the alleged budget already available)then you’d think the squad would be significantly stronger than it is now.
Leif Davis on 13:43 - Jan 4 with 766 viewsLankHenners

Leif Davis on 13:33 - Jan 4 by Illinoisblue

Isn’t that kinda sorta what Forest are potentially in trouble for with the sale of Brennan Johnson?

Yeah sort of - think their issue is they sold him after the end of the financial year they're being assessed for (but are arguing it should still count because selling him earlier would have meant taking a lower fee, something they made a point to the PL about at the time).

In theory if we bought and sold within the assessed period it shouldn't matter when and how much we spend/bring in as long as the final total puts us in the clear, but obviously it's a risk to do business based on potential sales further down the line which could be compromised.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Leif Davis on 13:44 - Jan 4 with 761 viewsjayessess

Leif Davis on 13:33 - Jan 4 by wrightsrightglove

I think at £15million up front with some decent add ons we’d seriously consider it, especially if the buying club were willing to loan him back to us for the rest of the season.

If it allowed us to bring in 3 x £5millon players (4 if you include the alleged budget already available)then you’d think the squad would be significantly stronger than it is now.

Think there's several issues with that.

- Budget-wise £15m sale /= £15m purchases. IIRC Davis is still on the same contract he signed as a League One player that we bought for ~£1.5m. His wages probably aren't commensurate with one £5m Championship signing, let alone four.

- Taking a key component out of your first team mid-season and bringing in lots of new ones is far from guaranteed to make you stronger, even if the incoming players are an improvement as individuals.

- Not many clubs want to sell you their players mid-season, so spending that money is harder than it would be in the Summer.
[Post edited 4 Jan 15:45]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Leif Davis on 13:49 - Jan 4 with 738 viewsChurchman

I’d keep him. We are trying to build a team for the PL. Selling one of the few players who could play at that level makes no sense to me..
Leif Davis on 13:55 - Jan 4 with 711 viewsBlueStreak

£15m plus add ons and loaned back for the rest of the season.
Leif Davis on 13:55 - Jan 4 with 702 viewsGlasgowBlue

If we get promoted then he's a £25 million Premier League player. So no.

Plus, we have seen the drop off in performances since key players like Leif have been out.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Leif Davis on 14:40 - Jan 4 with 634 viewsIllinoisblue

Leif Davis on 13:43 - Jan 4 by LankHenners

Yeah sort of - think their issue is they sold him after the end of the financial year they're being assessed for (but are arguing it should still count because selling him earlier would have meant taking a lower fee, something they made a point to the PL about at the time).

In theory if we bought and sold within the assessed period it shouldn't matter when and how much we spend/bring in as long as the final total puts us in the clear, but obviously it's a risk to do business based on potential sales further down the line which could be compromised.

Increasingly feels like top flight football now is an endless argument about refs, VAR, and finances.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Leif Davis on 15:07 - Jan 4 with 602 viewsNutkins_Return

This will be the model and what we'll need to do to make our squad. Ore competitive for FFP. It's exactly the model Ashton is looking at BUT we don't sell this window in the position we are in. If we don't go up then likely we will move on someone like Davis. Possibly Woolf since we can cover that more easily (though Im not sure Woolf would want to move on - fine by me). Possibly someone like Burns as well where we can recycle in terms of age but the money would t be so big (£1 mil?).
Leif Davis on 15:48 - Jan 4 with 557 viewsAce_High1

Leif Davis on 12:14 - Jan 4 by SomethingBlue

Nope, for one thing it should be £20m – for another he's essential to us and the source of so many goals. It's a recalibration we will have to make in the summer if we don't go up but to force it on ourselves now would be too much, I don't think any number of January signings can offset that.
[Post edited 4 Jan 12:15]

He is too important to how we play, especially attack to sell him mid season as you say.

As Ashton showed at Bristol City, gone are the days of Ipswich selling a player to a higher league for peanuts. £25m+ minimum and we will have Cresswell back in exchange as part of the deal from West Ham as well next year if we are still in this league.
Leif Davis on 07:40 - Jan 5 with 444 viewsPioneerBlue

If when our valuation is met he goes. I hate to think of our team without Leif but this is the reality. We need to sell Leif for big money at some stage to fund the next stage of progress. Everyone has to face that. Do I think he goes this window, not sure timing is now.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Leif Davis on 10:53 - Jan 5 with 354 viewsSharkey

Sell Davis and presumably Leeds get a lot of money.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024