Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class 10:39 - Jun 25 with 3436 viewsHipsterectomy

From a Guardian article about the number of professionals looking to leave London because of the pandemic:

"The destinations where London househunters have registered to search in increasing numbers since lockdown include the Sussex beach town of Worthing, Ipswich in Suffolk and Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire, where populations are at least twice as spread out as in the capital."

I guess I had better buy a house soon
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 10:40]

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 10:45 - Jun 25 with 2765 viewsHerbivore

It's only an hour on the train, I imagine it's only because Ipswich is a bit of a dump that more Londoners haven't already moved there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 10:49 - Jun 25 with 2745 viewsDubtractor

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 10:45 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

It's only an hour on the train, I imagine it's only because Ipswich is a bit of a dump that more Londoners haven't already moved there.

Ipswich isn't so bad really. It has crap areas like any other town, and the cultural offering is a bit limited, but it ain't a bad place to live at all.

And on the cultural point, as per your post, it is close enough to London for that to not really matter.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 10:50 - Jun 25 with 2739 viewsJakeITFC

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 10:45 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

It isn't a particularly reliable/comfortable hour on the train though unfortunately. Think there are loads of places you'd decide on before Ipswich if you commuted to the city.
Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 10:58 - Jun 25 with 2693 viewsHipsterectomy

Hopefully they will bring more money into the town, craft beer places and Mexican food

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 11:09 - Jun 25 with 2670 viewsHerbivore

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 10:58 - Jun 25 by Hipsterectomy

Hopefully they will bring more money into the town, craft beer places and Mexican food

I imagine £6 pints and fish tacos will be the new normal in Ipswich within 18 months.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 11:12]

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 11:11 - Jun 25 with 2659 viewsHerbivore

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 10:49 - Jun 25 by Dubtractor

Ipswich isn't so bad really. It has crap areas like any other town, and the cultural offering is a bit limited, but it ain't a bad place to live at all.

And on the cultural point, as per your post, it is close enough to London for that to not really matter.

I was fishing a bit with that post to be fair. There are many worse places than Ipswich for sure. It is lacking a bit in terms of culture and decent places to eat and drink in comparison to a similar size place like, say, Norwich but that aside it's a decent enough town. I used to live in Basingstoke as well so I know genuinely awful.

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 11:14 - Jun 25 with 2638 viewsGeoffSentence

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 11:11 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

I was fishing a bit with that post to be fair. There are many worse places than Ipswich for sure. It is lacking a bit in terms of culture and decent places to eat and drink in comparison to a similar size place like, say, Norwich but that aside it's a decent enough town. I used to live in Basingstoke as well so I know genuinely awful.

I some ways Norwich benefits from its isolation. It is miles from anywhere so they have to cater for all their own cultural needs. Ipswich on the other hand is an easy train ride to the fleshpots of the big city where all sorts of sins can be indulged.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 11:21 - Jun 25 with 2613 viewsHerbivore

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 11:14 - Jun 25 by GeoffSentence

I some ways Norwich benefits from its isolation. It is miles from anywhere so they have to cater for all their own cultural needs. Ipswich on the other hand is an easy train ride to the fleshpots of the big city where all sorts of sins can be indulged.

This is true. Norwich has much more going on than you would expect of a small city and that's in no small part down to the fact that it's nowhere near anywhere else of a decent size. It's also got a massive uni that has a huge art gallery attached to it, as well as a leading art school. All of those things bring a bit of life to a place we well. UoS isn't that well established yet in comparison.

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 11:48 - Jun 25 with 2533 viewsWallingford_Boy

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 10:49 - Jun 25 by Dubtractor

Oh come on!

Its a pretty grim old town, surrounding area is nice though, but Ipswich itself is not so pretty.

RIP Sir Bobby

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:17 - Jun 25 with 2469 viewsSomethingBlue

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 10:50 - Jun 25 by JakeITFC

It isn't a particularly reliable/comfortable hour on the train though unfortunately. Think there are loads of places you'd decide on before Ipswich if you commuted to the city.

The trains to Ipswich from London totally p7ss on the services that go to the south coast, to take one example, in fairness.

On a side note I think Ipswich talks itself down too much and it becomes a little self-fulfilling. Always been the way. Never totally sure why.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:21 - Jun 25 with 2451 viewsStokieBlue

Although if ones work is anywhere away from Liverpool Street then they journey could easily end up being nearer 2 hours.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:22 - Jun 25 with 2445 viewsitfcjoe

I've got a couple of mates WFH for the forseeable with offers in on houses in North Esssex and Suffolk as just liev in smaller flats in London and isn't much fun - think they'll miss the hustle bustle but plenty of positives of being out here if you aren't working in the office

Also sorting out home offices for people, one guy in Woodbridge commutes to Cambridge or London and is as busy as he has ever been workwise but has an extra 4 hours in the day and working in the sunshine in a luxury gazebo.

Times, they are a changin'

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:24 - Jun 25 with 2434 viewsitfcjoe

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:17 - Jun 25 by SomethingBlue

The trains to Ipswich from London totally p7ss on the services that go to the south coast, to take one example, in fairness.

On a side note I think Ipswich talks itself down too much and it becomes a little self-fulfilling. Always been the way. Never totally sure why.

The moany Suffolk culture?

I've got mates from all around the UK, and they all enjoy coming here for weekends etc. There is so much within easy reach, and just so much space in living accomodation and gardens generally

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:28 - Jun 25 with 2428 viewsgiant_stow

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:22 - Jun 25 by itfcjoe

I've got a couple of mates WFH for the forseeable with offers in on houses in North Esssex and Suffolk as just liev in smaller flats in London and isn't much fun - think they'll miss the hustle bustle but plenty of positives of being out here if you aren't working in the office

Also sorting out home offices for people, one guy in Woodbridge commutes to Cambridge or London and is as busy as he has ever been workwise but has an extra 4 hours in the day and working in the sunshine in a luxury gazebo.

I've had a couple of chats with fellow Londoners who are wonderring why they're here if everything's shut or there's a risk of rolling shutdowns and disruption.

We put up with the small living spaces because of all the stuff to do and in a born and bred's case, all the family and friends here. If that starts to change, it get pointless.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:32 - Jun 25 with 2408 viewsHerbivore

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:21 - Jun 25 by StokieBlue

Although if ones work is anywhere away from Liverpool Street then they journey could easily end up being nearer 2 hours.

SB

True, though I guess onward journey is an issue whenever you're commuting into London. Liverpool Street is fairly decent for access to 'the city'.

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:38 - Jun 25 with 2392 viewsFunge

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 11:48 - Jun 25 by Wallingford_Boy

Oh come on!

Its a pretty grim old town, surrounding area is nice though, but Ipswich itself is not so pretty.

It's not Venice, nor is it Luton.

It's a bit crap, but its my town and I will physically kill anyone who chats sh1t about it.

Not fussed about Chantry though.
Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:42 - Jun 25 with 2368 viewsHerbivore

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:38 - Jun 25 by Funge

It's a bit crap, but its my town and I will physically kill anyone who chats sh1t about it.

They should add "It's not Luton" to the welcome to Ipswich signs. It's factually accurate whilst suitably tempering expectations.

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:45 - Jun 25 with 2355 viewsFunge

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:42 - Jun 25 by Herbivore

They should add "It's not Luton" to the welcome to Ipswich signs. It's factually accurate whilst suitably tempering expectations.

huic non Luitona

That's a terrific town slogan, might email David Ellesmere.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 12:46]
Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:51 - Jun 25 with 2328 viewsclive_baker

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:22 - Jun 25 by itfcjoe

I've put my flat on the market in London and I'm moving back to Suffolk. It might've happened anyway to be fair, but given I can WFH 3 days per week anyway, and my wife is a nurse and can relocate easy enough, I don't see the appeal of owning a flat in South London when I can get better free schools, less crime, fresher air and beautiful countryside and coastlines on my doorstep. I would rather opt in to London a couple of times a week than pay a premium on property now.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 13:01]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:52 - Jun 25 with 2319 viewsMattinLondon

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:38 - Jun 25 by Funge

Ipswich, compared to most parts of London, is a much better place to live.

A bit like the football club it needs someone with vision and ambition to make it better.

Personally speaking, it’s the people in the countryside who has held the town back.
Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:58 - Jun 25 with 2295 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's like Montpellier compared to some of the places round here. I can think of many places well worse than Chantry close to me, for example, yet Chantry always gets slated by some Ipswich people.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 13:01 - Jun 25 with 2290 viewsgiant_stow

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:51 - Jun 25 by clive_baker

I've put my flat on the market in London and I'm moving back to Suffolk. It might've happened anyway to be fair, but given I can WFH 3 days per week anyway, and my wife is a nurse and can relocate easy enough, I don't see the appeal of owning a flat in South London when I can get better free schools, less crime, fresher air and beautiful countryside and coastlines on my doorstep. I would rather opt in to London a couple of times a week than pay a premium on property now.

[grudging, he's-got-a-point-that-hurts-and-makes-me-think uppy]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 13:04 - Jun 25 with 2274 viewsitfcjoe

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 12:51 - Jun 25 by clive_baker

I think this period has opened peoples eyes to what is important, but I guess with a new(ish) little one this has just hastened things - good luck with the move!

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 13:36 - Jun 25 with 2198 viewsfactual_blue

Don't forget - Burnley is the place to move to for those who can't afford house prices in the nicer parts of the country.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Ipswich may begin housing more of the London middle class on 13:47 - Jun 25 with 2156 viewsSpruceMoose

Right. Outside. If you're not IP2 you're not really Ipswich.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024