Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I like Cook, I like the way he speaks 16:01 - May 13 with 4123 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Obviously I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but he comes across as genuine, passionate about doing things right, and has a bubbly, infectious enthusiasm. If I was a player at Ipswich I'd be getting in early, hitting the gym, and practicing hard. I remember a story of David Beckham having to go home from practicing free kicks because it was too dark and they'd turned the lights off. I'd want players with that attitude.

I hope some of the players I like show that, step up, and stay. For me, this is a long needed overhaul. No sentiment. We just need winners. Are you up for the fight?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:05 - May 13 with 2034 viewsJ2BLUE

This is really exciting IMO. Some people are natural worriers. For me, it's going to be one exciting summer. Euros. Town news daily.

I'd be disappointed to lose KVY. I'd also be disappointed to lose Norwood to a league one rival. He's a goalscorer even if he isn't a saint. Apart from that...meh.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:06 - May 13 with 2022 viewstractorboy1978

I may be naive but I just don't believe for a second we've gone so hard in putting the right structure in off the pitch to then not do the same on the pitch. For a L1 club, the owners have put some serious cash down to employ the likes of O'Leary, Ashton, Rolls and whoever else ends up coming in from Bristol City. With that will come significant investment in the medical, sports science, recruitment etc. To then bring in bang average L1 players would not make sense at all. I know getting players down here who could be playing higher won't be simple but we must be looking to have a right go at it this summer and must be pretty confident we will get the players we want.
I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:08 - May 13 with 1994 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Dolly. Have an uppie for that. Completely agree.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:09 - May 13 with 1983 viewschrismakin

Someone close to the club mentioned Cooks disappointment that he never saw anyone in early, in the gym etc.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:10 - May 13 with 1984 viewsitfcjoe

I think people are over rating Cook so far - he's shown very little here since he's come in to justify that - both on and off the pitch.

We are looking at his previous history, where we don't really know the full situations, and projecting it on to ITFC.

I really hope it works out, but I always fear a manager being given such a seemingly free reign at a club - you have to assume Ashton et al are involved in this too.....but doesn't feel like there is a good long term strategy at play here as we speak.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:11 - May 13 with 1965 viewsDubtractor

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:06 - May 13 by tractorboy1978

I may be naive but I just don't believe for a second we've gone so hard in putting the right structure in off the pitch to then not do the same on the pitch. For a L1 club, the owners have put some serious cash down to employ the likes of O'Leary, Ashton, Rolls and whoever else ends up coming in from Bristol City. With that will come significant investment in the medical, sports science, recruitment etc. To then bring in bang average L1 players would not make sense at all. I know getting players down here who could be playing higher won't be simple but we must be looking to have a right go at it this summer and must be pretty confident we will get the players we want.

100% this.

I totally get why people have concerns, and this could go wrong, but to spend the money that has clearly been spent on off field staff is a serious show of intent. You have to assume that there are some high quality players lined up.

Here's hoping anyway!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:12 - May 13 with 1949 viewschrismakin

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:10 - May 13 by itfcjoe

I think people are over rating Cook so far - he's shown very little here since he's come in to justify that - both on and off the pitch.

We are looking at his previous history, where we don't really know the full situations, and projecting it on to ITFC.

I really hope it works out, but I always fear a manager being given such a seemingly free reign at a club - you have to assume Ashton et al are involved in this too.....but doesn't feel like there is a good long term strategy at play here as we speak.

"but doesn't feel like there is a good long term strategy at play here as we speak"

Without seeing who we've signed, how can you believe that?

We've just started putting together a structure within in the club that we haven't had for 20 years.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:14 - May 13 with 1928 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Finally some sense!

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Login to get fewer ads

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:18 - May 13 with 1907 viewsIllinoisblue

Surely, for now, there doesn’t need to be a long term strategy; just the short term goal of getting out of Division 3 then take it from there

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:20 - May 13 with 1869 viewschrismakin

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:18 - May 13 by Illinoisblue

Surely, for now, there doesn’t need to be a long term strategy; just the short term goal of getting out of Division 3 then take it from there

Why is it wrong to have both plans in action

short term on the pitch, long term off it.

Main priority to begin with is get the hell out of league 1.

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:24 - May 13 with 1844 viewslongtimefan

Ultimately it’s not what your strategy is that’s the defining point, it’s how well you execute it.
I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:26 - May 13 with 1836 viewsHerbivore

It's all very "He just gets it" on here at the minute.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:26 - May 13 with 1827 viewsitfcjoe

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:12 - May 13 by chrismakin

"but doesn't feel like there is a good long term strategy at play here as we speak"

Without seeing who we've signed, how can you believe that?

We've just started putting together a structure within in the club that we haven't had for 20 years.

Because someone has to be tasked with selling these players, and the whole of the football world will know that Cook has told them he doesn't want them back for pre season or to play for the club again.......do you think that we will be able to get top money for them now?

It seems an emotional move rather than a smart move.

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:30 - May 13 with 1796 viewsitfcjoe

Depends to what ends that is - if we bin off younger talented players and replace them with journeymen to get us up is it the right way to go?

We need to be looking at getting up, staying up, and then competing - hopefully the transfer business is with that in mind....

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:40 - May 13 with 1713 viewschrismakin

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:30 - May 13 by itfcjoe

Depends to what ends that is - if we bin off younger talented players and replace them with journeymen to get us up is it the right way to go?

We need to be looking at getting up, staying up, and then competing - hopefully the transfer business is with that in mind....

But you've not seen any signings yet to call any of them journeyman, firstly

secondly, the aim is get promoted. YOU demanded as a poster and that he has no choice but to do this immediately.
Now you're upset because he is looking to make his side as strong as possible to do so.

The right way to go, is anyway that gets us promoted. It's as simple as that.
Academy products will get their chances, just like these lot have, if they are good enough and show the desire to stay, they'll stay, if not, off they go.
Downes, desperate to leave. Dozzell - not consistent enough, Bishop.. is biship

Dobra is the only one I would hope stayed, but then I dont know his attitude behind the scenes.

All in all

Majority of all town fans wanted a take over
they've got it. so just go with it

otherwise, lets just get Evans back and play the kids.

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:44 - May 13 with 1692 viewshype313

Whilst I totally understand your concerns, and I also feel similar, we have to look at the bigger picture, we have been pedestrian, drifting, in freefall for years now. We have been crying for investment and direction and whilst it looks harsh in the outside we have to look at the fact that these players have underperformed under a succession of managers and a number of years, American owners won't put up with mediocrity, and we should welcome the fact that they are installing a full professional outfit together.

We have all moaned about the lack of care, interest and investment from Evans, we shouldn't be scared about people coming in finally making everyone accountable for their roles and wanting to push this club on.

I have concerns around the complete squad change, but if we are going to do this then at least we have someone with pedigree and experience to approach to pull this all together.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:45 - May 13 with 1680 viewsKropotkin123

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:26 - May 13 by Herbivore

Reality is we are currently a mid-table league one side, with mid-level league one players. The league doesn't lie, as they say, and we've been at this level for two years now. The clear out is needed, the players aren't good enough.

I think a lot who are concerned are burnt by Lambert/Hurst, hence references to what was said and done then.

I support the "cull", but I'm withholding judgement on Cook. I don't think we are suddenly going to be shopping in league 2 to get players for league 1, to get promoted to the championship. So the risk of bringing on a load of players that sees us doing worse than now are pretty slim.

It really isn't the Hurst situation, where he only bought from a division below with aspirations of getting promotion. If we were looking to source all our players from league 2 now, it would be a comparable concern.

There is enough negativity on here right now to say this is definitely not a Lambert situation where people are getting carried away with his changes, and lost in a propaganda campaign.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:49 - May 13 with 1636 viewsclive_baker

He does talk a good game, I'll give him that.

Ultimately we have to judge him on results, which have been poor thus far. A PPG across his 16 matches that would've had us 17th on a full season basis. There's mitigating factors of course, and personally I don't think we can't truly begin to take such a view on his performance until 10-15 games into next season I would say. I think the concern among some is that if he butchers the squad, and the replacements don't do the job, then it's too late at that point to fix. It's like the Paul Hurst risk, but to an even deeper extent. FWIW I think Cook is a good manager, he's shown that elsewhere, it's just such a sh1t or bust approach.

I think the ceiling is higher for some of our current players than they've managed to show Cook in the past couple of months, so there's a select handful I would love to see in his squad next season. IF they're moved on, as is looking likely in some instances, I hope we don't live to regret it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:55 - May 13 with 1593 viewsdirtyboy

".....but doesn't feel like there is a good long term strategy at play here as we speak"

I'd argue that a new ownership group, who have installed O'Leary and Ashton to oversee operations is a pretty good long term strategy.

I'd also argue that the players released (some of which I would have kept) were not long term either.

Then you'd say that this squad in its current guise has not, on one occassion, over two seasons, shown a consistent glimpse (I appreciate that's almost an oxymoron) of what they can produce, so how on earth can it be seen that they're worth of a long term strategy?

So, all in all, getting rid of consistent failure (across entire club) bringing in a new and carefully selected team, that, will need a little time, although hopefully not too much, very much feels like a long term strategy doesn't it?

Talk of journeymen, well....if they come in just do a 1 or 2 season job and allow us to develop a few of those U18s, that's long term too.

I'm absolutely convinced more facets of building this club, in terms of on and off the pitch are in place now than have ever been the case in its history.

And it's only been a couple of months.
I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:56 - May 13 with 1586 viewsIllinoisblue

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:24 - May 13 by longtimefan

Ultimately it’s not what your strategy is that’s the defining point, it’s how well you execute it.

Undeniably true. Roll on August...

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:57 - May 13 with 1577 viewshaynes_toe1

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:26 - May 13 by Herbivore

To be fair I literally said that 4 weeks ago and you rubbished me for it.
I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:02 - May 13 with 1547 viewsGarv

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:30 - May 13 by itfcjoe

Previously the aim was to get out of this rubbish league at the first opportunity. Has that changed?

'Anything but promotion is failure' - I lost count how many times I saw people say that over the last year or so.

I'll add I didn't agree with that statement, and still don't.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:03 - May 13 with 1540 viewsCoco

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:26 - May 13 by itfcjoe

Because someone has to be tasked with selling these players, and the whole of the football world will know that Cook has told them he doesn't want them back for pre season or to play for the club again.......do you think that we will be able to get top money for them now?

It seems an emotional move rather than a smart move.

100% certain this isn’t an emotional decision and one that underwent a lot of careful consideration with the many powers that be. The new club structure is being utilised to the full.

I mean, why the hell wouldn’t Cook ditch most of this lot? Seriously! Would you simply be happier if the Cowley's were tasked with the job?

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:05 - May 13 with 1518 viewsKropotkin123

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 16:57 - May 13 by haynes_toe1

To be fair I literally said that 4 weeks ago and you rubbished me for it.

Yeah, but you're a Norwich fan, so good on him

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:06 - May 13 with 1507 viewshaynes_toe1

I like Cook, I like the way he speaks on 17:03 - May 13 by Coco

100% certain this isn’t an emotional decision and one that underwent a lot of careful consideration with the many powers that be. The new club structure is being utilised to the full.

I mean, why the hell wouldn’t Cook ditch most of this lot? Seriously! Would you simply be happier if the Cowley's were tasked with the job?

How is the new club structure being 'utilised to the full', by the way? And what is the 'new club structure'? A CEO?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024