Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Moving abroad 23:07 - Jul 12 with 3285 viewschrismakin

Has anyone on here made the jump across the waters.

Over the years I've felt this country has turned into a place of hate. Drink. Drugs and basically just a horrid place to live. ( appreciate that's quite strong but I actually hate how this country has changed over the years) Has anyone moved abroad and not regretted doing so and if so where did you go.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Moving abroad on 23:40 - Jul 12 with 2919 viewsKropotkin123

I moved to South Korea for two years. Happiest place I've ever been. Came back here as my now wife wanted to visit Europe. I leave the country at the end of this month, if all goes well.

All countries have positives and negatives. I think the negatives outweigh the positives here.

When you grow up, you believe your country is the best in the world and as you get older you realise that frankly it is not.

I think moving country also breaks personal cycles. You do more, explore more, see more. I don't mean that in a hippy trail way. Just you get too stuck in a routine of doing things here. You have to go out an do things to make friends and live a life worth living. Before you know it, you are doing more with your life.

When I came back to the UK, I was homesick for Korea. I didn't miss the UK once in my time abroad.

That's all personal obviously, but if you are genuinely thinking of moving abroad, then happy to discuss more details around what you are looking to do.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Moving abroad on 01:07 - Jul 13 with 2832 viewsGuthrum

Friend of mine moved to Canada 20-odd years ago, said it was the bst place he'd ever lived (which included several places in the UK and Europe).

Another friend spent some years abroad in Central and Eastern Europe teaching English. Then he came back and settled in the UK again.

I've never really had any desire to actually live anywhere other than Britain (just don't think it's that bad, really - at least not the part I inhabit and the company I keep), tho there are a number of places I've been outside the country where I think I could settle ok .

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Moving abroad on 02:07 - Jul 13 with 2793 viewsacj

I’ve been living in Chile for nearly 4 years now, and spent a while living in Brazil before I came here. Moving to another country comes with a lot of challenges with adapting to cultural differences and learning a new language, but it’s also bloody exciting if you get out there and really try to engage with the culture of the country you find yourself in.

I miss my friends and family obviously, but we keep in touch with video calls which helps - other than that following town is the only thing I really, deeply miss from living in England.

Poll: Will Town score again this season?

Moving abroad on 02:44 - Jul 13 with 2792 viewsIllinoisblue

Left England two days after Dean Bowditch’s hat trick v Watford. Miss proper pubs, the English sense of humour, the NHS, proper bacon…. But no regrets really. Life is what you make it wherever you live.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Moving abroad on 03:56 - Jul 13 with 2750 viewsIPS_wich

We moved down under to Perth eight years ago and no regrets.

It was more an opportunity offered by my employer rather than wanting to leave the UK; but having visited the UK twice since it’s become even more apparent just how challenged the UK is (traffic, social division, declining high streets, general grubbiness). We always thought it would be a 5-10 year adventure down under, but there is zero chance we will return.

I won’t list a bunch of pros, because there are too many and many of them are very personal. What I would say is even for a couple of years it’s worth it. The first 2-3 years felt like every day was an adventure or new experience. Yes, after a while things become more routine and you settle in to life; but that first two years was incredible.

Things if wished I’d known about before going:

- unless you move to Western Europe, forget these ideas you may have about visiting the uk every year to see family. All sounds good on paper but a combination of cost, time and compromise means it just won’t happen.

- similarly, make sure you have some money stashed away for that emergency trip back to the uk. So far a parents funeral, another parents heart attack, a grandparents funeral and my brothers wedding have all meant either my wife and I have had to travel back solo to the uk for a few days.

- you will miss your family, but video conferencing actually makes connection easy. I certainly speak to my parents have arguably have a better relationship than before we moved. To be fair though, I didn’t live near them in the uk, so only saw them every couple of months (we now speak for an hour every fortnight).

- you will have zero credit rating in your new country, so even financing a cheap car is hard, it took us 3-4 years to get a mortgage approval - despite being in our early 40s and with well paid jobs.

- your kids will adapt really quickly, far quicker than you will.

- the thing that is still the hardest part is the lack of any cultural reference points - even though a lot of TV has been imported from the UK, you just don’t have any connection to the Tv programs, news events, comedians, music, popular culture from before you move. So, let’s pick some examples to bring this to life: Imagine nobody knowing what A Question of Sport is. Imagine nobody knowing who or what Mr Blobby is. Imagine a program that advertises itself as the crime that shook Australia - and you’d never heard of it. Imagine nobody us ever heard of Eastenders. Imagine nobody knowing about England’s track record in penalty shoot outs.

I guess it’s why when you go to places with a large amount of migrants that people cluster in the same suburbs with people from the same country of origin. There are 4/5 suburbs in Perth that are like Little Britain, and I guess if we’d moved there then some of the above wouldn’t be our experience - but I can’t quite see the point of moving to another country and trying to recreate your home country overseas. Maybe that’s just me, but what had made this so exciting is the adventure, is the differences. I haven’t watched a premier league or champions league game since moving, but I will watch 2-3 games of Aussie Rules a weekend and I am almost as fanatical now about my Aussies Rules team as I am Ipswich (speaking of Ipswich - thank for for iFollow).

Anyway - do it - but have a route back to the uk if things don’t work out. We did and didn’t need to use it, but for the first year or so it was reassuring to know we could pull the pin if we needed to.
Moving abroad on 04:07 - Jul 13 with 2742 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

What’s wrong with drink and drugs? If it’s not your bag, just don’t do them. There’s many issues with this country but drink and drugs isn’t something I’d have gone for as your leading arguments tbh.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Moving abroad on 06:56 - Jul 13 with 2555 viewsLesta_Tractor

Lived in Australia for a few years, regretted coming back to the UK from day one but lack the confidence to pack up and go back.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Moving abroad on 07:01 - Jul 13 with 2538 viewsPendejo

Life is what you make it, will work for some and not for others.

I lived and worked in Colombia for 2 years, came home for a variety of reasons beyond my control and would happily go back given the right sort of contract. There's the rub, money, which gives you access to shelter, sustenance and, hopefully, little luxuries (access to internet and TWTD)
I visited Venezuela for work and will never go to that country again. The people are so different to Colombians.

The UK has far more positives than negatives, to believe otherwise an individual either has a really poor life or simply believes tabloid sensationalism to be the norm rather than a shocking abnormality.

As an expat, even an "average" one you will have access to do many opportunities and privileges than the average local, but the moment you run out of money you are in the shhht.
Another poster states they had an escape plan, thankfully they didn't need to use it, definitely good to have one.l

I'd always promote it for the positive life experience, but would never run down the UK as I've lived in a country with no welfare state safety net, no free health service, no automatic right to schooling and where circumstances lead to envy of immigrants especially the wealthy ones, who then live in secure complexes with armed guards.

If course there are things here that are wrong, but don't believe for one minute that any other country is perfect. Dig deep enough and you can find faults in Oz, Canada etc. And I found that many ex-pays don't care about indigenous peoples and have an "I'm alright Jack" attitude, something I found really offensive.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Moving abroad on 07:03 - Jul 13 with 2527 viewskiwiblue

Yes we moved initially to Botswana in Southern Africa in 2000 to teach in a state school in the Kalahari desert. Great adventure for travel everything was cheap but money was not very good. Culture shock was quite hard but work was easy .Kids excellent and lots of friendly faces . Eventually got bored with nothing to do except travel and virtually no evening entertainment apart from drinking bars. Able to watch town on local version of sky sometimes at another teachers house the year they were in the Prem. beer cold and sugary food boring. Left at end of 3 year contract to travel as part of contract was flights.
Came to NZ in 2003 travelling on a tight budget and wife offered work within 2 months and visa easy to get as on shortage list..
Sold UK house and invested in a company in outdoor recreation rather than getting a job still running that even through covid. Wife still teaching at same school .Good incomes and lifestyle. Never bought a house as bought the business.
Houses locally were 50,000 squid back in 2003 but now around 300,000 for our small town if you are lucky.
Beer still cold and loads of fizzy craft beers. Miss Adnams badly, could buy the bottles in the local supermarket once ,( was owned by an ex Tesco manager from Haverhill)
Miss Pork pies but new butchery in town now sells good ones....
My son came out and worked with me for 10 years. now back in Lowestoft. Miss him
My daughter has visited 3 times. Skype does the job.....
My mum came once, now 93 so a few issues around that. Made trips home every few years but not for almost two years now because of covid.
Found the UK ok initially but recently found the quality of life out of East Anglia low.
Recommendations
Keep a UK bank account open
Look into pensions but don't transfer abroad.
If Family in the UK are important plan a short trip and rent houses.
Long haul flights will be expensive in the future.
Do a list of things you will miss in the uk and what you expect where you plan to go.
Talk to someone who has gone where you plan to go.
Moving abroad on 07:08 - Jul 13 with 2516 viewsWestover

Not as far as people above but I moved to Ireland and had 16 years in County Kerry which was very good apart from the weather which got me down so 20 months ago we moved to Portugal, we are in the eastern Algarve and it's about as good as it could be lots of new friends inexpensive to live and great weather.
Moving abroad on 07:10 - Jul 13 with 2512 viewskiwiblue

Yes we moved initially to Botswana in Southern Africa in 2000 to teach in a state school in the Kalahari desert. Great adventure for travel everything was cheap but money was not very good. Culture shock was quite hard but work was easy .Kids excellent and lots of friendly faces . Eventually got bored with nothing to do except travel and virtually no evening entertainment apart from drinking bars. Able to watch town on local version of sky sometimes at another teachers house the year they were in the Prem. beer cold and sugary food boring. Left at end of 3 year contract to travel as part of contract was flights.
Came to NZ in 2003 travelling on a tight budget and wife offered work within 2 months and visa easy to get as on shortage list..
Sold UK house and invested in a company in outdoor recreation rather than getting a job still running that even through covid. Wife still teaching at same school .Good incomes and lifestyle. Never bought a house as bought the business.
Houses locally were 50,000 squid back in 2003 but now around 300,000 for our small town if you are lucky.
Beer still cold and loads of fizzy craft beers. Miss Adnams badly, could buy the bottles in the local supermarket once ,( was owned by an ex Tesco manager from Haverhill)
Miss Pork pies but new butchery in town now sells good ones....
My son came out and worked with me for 10 years. now back in Lowestoft. Miss him
My daughter has visited 3 times. Skype does the job.....
My mum came once, now 93 so a few issues around that. Made trips home every few years but not for almost two years now because of covid.
Found the UK ok initially but recently found the quality of life out of East Anglia low.
Recommendations
Keep a UK bank account open
Look into pensions but don't transfer abroad.
If Family in the UK are important plan a short trip and rent houses.
Long haul flights will be expensive in the future.
Do a list of things you will miss in the uk and what you expect where you plan to go.
Talk to someone who has gone where you plan to go.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 7:11]
Moving abroad on 07:43 - Jul 13 with 2421 viewschicoazul

I’ve lived and worked in 3 countries. It’s up to you where you go and why you do it but remember; wherever you go, it’ll still be you that goes there.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Moving abroad on 07:48 - Jul 13 with 2396 viewsbluelagos

Only ever been on work and always with time limited assignments,

Lived in Nigeria, Liberia, Malawi and done short term assignments in Kenya and Cameroon.

Only place in Africa I'd consider permanently (nearly took up residency) would be South Africa.

Other places I'd happily consider are Spain, Scandanavia, Chile and Argentina. Think I'd get bored down under after 2 to 3 years.

Asia is somewhere that others rate and is certainly far cheaper in many places in retiring.

I'd steer well clear of the tropics. Hot and sticky not for me, rather have seasons.

Anywhere you go, defo keep uk bank account open (try opening one with a wad of legally saved money earned in Nigeria) and get a police (DBS style) clearance before you leave. Many UK jobs etc. require one from every place you have lived which are much easier to get when you are in the country cconcerned.

Having said all that, the UK has shed loads going for it. But so do lots of places. If it's just a desire for something new, learn to ride a motorbike. Fck sight cheaper, more fun and you can explore far better than sitting in a car stuck in traffic.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Moving abroad on 07:49 - Jul 13 with 2396 viewshype313

If you're leaving because of those reasons then the only place you will find that doesn't have that problem will be Mars.

Australia is now the cocaine capital of the world, plenty of other places have just as many issues.

As much as the scenes over the past few days have shown an ugly side, making a life decision should be based on a whole raft of choices, not because a number of dickheads ran amok.

Leave because of Brexit by all means, leave because we have this god awful racist, hypocritical government, but not because you dont like a few neanderthals taking sniff.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Moving abroad on 07:52 - Jul 13 with 2377 viewsbelgablue

Moved to Belgium on a short term posting over a decade ago and stayed, barring a current covid induced interlude in U.K. Going out there and experiencing another culture, meeting new people etc.. is great. But don’t expect it to be heaven - it will come with its own set of positives and negatives, maybe different to the ones you experience living in the U.K. I definitely recommend it but don’t expect perfection.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Moving abroad on 08:09 - Jul 13 with 2328 viewsjayessess

I lived in Spain (Madrid) for several years as a English teacher and loved it, would've stayed forever if I could have.

One note of caution on your motivations though, I'd say. You live somewhere long enough and engage with the place on more than a superficial level, you'll discover that everywhere has its problems and has its dark side. I was delighted to leave England but everywhere you go you'll still find human beings dealing with the same demons.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Moving abroad on 08:21 - Jul 13 with 2291 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Don't watch the news so much and avoid twitter. You'll find this country seems a much nicer place.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Moving abroad on 08:25 - Jul 13 with 2276 viewsvilanovablue

Lived near Barcelona for a couple of years to teach English. Good to experience a different culture, learn a language and challenge yourself a little. Had a great time and retain friends from back then and visit regularly. I'd recommend it to anyone and remember it doesn't have to be permanent.

I'd echo the sentiment that every place has it's own issues.
Moving abroad on 08:35 - Jul 13 with 2249 viewsIPS_wich

Moving abroad on 07:49 - Jul 13 by hype313

If you're leaving because of those reasons then the only place you will find that doesn't have that problem will be Mars.

Australia is now the cocaine capital of the world, plenty of other places have just as many issues.

As much as the scenes over the past few days have shown an ugly side, making a life decision should be based on a whole raft of choices, not because a number of dickheads ran amok.

Leave because of Brexit by all means, leave because we have this god awful racist, hypocritical government, but not because you dont like a few neanderthals taking sniff.

Sorry - I just can’t agree that Australia is the Cocaine capital of the world. I do 50% of my work in the alcohol abuse and drug rehab sector and cocaine use is f*** all. Sure, there’s a massive increase in methamphetamine over the last five years, especially in regional small towns, but Coke, nope.

I was also chatting to a Glaswegian the other month who said the biggest problem in Australia was that the Heroin is rubbish. But I suspect he was an extra in Trainspotting, so probably had high standards!!

The one thing I didn’t mention about Australia that really shocked me is the historic treatment of Aboriginal people. And I don’t mean 200 year ago stuff. There were things going on here as recently as the 70s that make Apartheid and the US segregation seem tame. Maybe it’s a lack of global awareness but it really shocked me. For example, as recently as the 1960s, if you were aboriginal then you had to have an ID card and on it would be your ‘Species’ (meaning what historic Aboriginal language did you identify with). There are still huge divides between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people in the country.

The ‘White Australia’ migration policy only finished in 1973 and until that point actively discriminated against migrants from outside North America and Europe. That said, multi-culturism is now huge and universally tolerated in a way it isn’t in the UK. There were loads of migrants from Asia in the late-70s and 80s - mainly students - and second and third generation Asian migrants are just very normalised. When the Tiannamon Square massacre happened, the government gave an option to every Chinese student in Australia to become an Australian citizen immediately and most took up the offer.

Case in point, the latest series of Australian Masterchef - of the top eight, only one wasn’t a second generation migrant. Of the other seven, they each had at least one parent born overseas: Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Germany, Italy, Vietnam, China (x2).

Society isn’t perfect, but what seems to be missing is the pockets of society that rely on benefits. Unemployment levels have been really low for decades, even during global recessions.
Moving abroad on 08:38 - Jul 13 with 2236 viewsWD19

The evidence would suggest that lots of people who dislike this country have moved abroad. It allows them to feel superior and to continue lobbing stones whilst not being expected to do anything constructive to improve things.
Moving abroad on 08:40 - Jul 13 with 2231 viewsstopmoaning

I moved to North America, and came back - got a really well paid job over there, much more than I was on over here at the time, but the standard holidays was 10 per year, which pushed me over the edge - I had got ill there (not seriously), but it was costing me an absolute fortune - and I had enough.

I'd probably give it a go again personally, but don't think my family would want to. I agree with the person who said you do and try more, as its all new - but that does wear off for most people (not all!)

There is a good forum here to go read and post on https://britishexpats.com/forum/
Moving abroad on 08:53 - Jul 13 with 2169 viewsdelias_cheesy_flaps

I came back to the UK in 2013 after more than a decade of living in Dubai, Bahrain, Panama, Penang, Dalian and Bangkok. I’m now off to live in Taipei in September as I’m sick of the plethora of imbeciles ruining this country!
Personally I’ve never had a bad experience moving from country to country and the quality of life is far superior to living here and little or no imbeciles to deal with spoiling it for the majority of good people!

Blog: This Might Rub You Up the Wrong Way, it Might Not!

Moving abroad on 09:34 - Jul 13 with 1999 viewsshady

There is much to admire and celebrate about the UK.

People move for the greater opportunities, not because we dislike our country.
A true anti-national could never support a 3rd division team.

Seeing how other nations cope with the tribulations of life
and how they smile at adversities.
Seeing some wondrous sights, and lots of kind people everywhere.
Being out of your comfort zone and surviving with ease.
Making new friends and maybe even meeting a life partner.

Other ex pats are a great resource
I’ve rarely seen, let alone spoken to another Englishman for years.
Have to discuss football with Italian ex pats!

So if you get a chance, do travel and work abroad, and experience other nations, partake of their food and lifestyle.
Of course: There will probably be the proverbial bumps on the road.

There is a danger that those that get left behind can become little Englanders.
Moving abroad on 09:41 - Jul 13 with 1973 viewshype313

Moving abroad on 08:35 - Jul 13 by IPS_wich

Sorry - I just can’t agree that Australia is the Cocaine capital of the world. I do 50% of my work in the alcohol abuse and drug rehab sector and cocaine use is f*** all. Sure, there’s a massive increase in methamphetamine over the last five years, especially in regional small towns, but Coke, nope.

I was also chatting to a Glaswegian the other month who said the biggest problem in Australia was that the Heroin is rubbish. But I suspect he was an extra in Trainspotting, so probably had high standards!!

The one thing I didn’t mention about Australia that really shocked me is the historic treatment of Aboriginal people. And I don’t mean 200 year ago stuff. There were things going on here as recently as the 70s that make Apartheid and the US segregation seem tame. Maybe it’s a lack of global awareness but it really shocked me. For example, as recently as the 1960s, if you were aboriginal then you had to have an ID card and on it would be your ‘Species’ (meaning what historic Aboriginal language did you identify with). There are still huge divides between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people in the country.

The ‘White Australia’ migration policy only finished in 1973 and until that point actively discriminated against migrants from outside North America and Europe. That said, multi-culturism is now huge and universally tolerated in a way it isn’t in the UK. There were loads of migrants from Asia in the late-70s and 80s - mainly students - and second and third generation Asian migrants are just very normalised. When the Tiannamon Square massacre happened, the government gave an option to every Chinese student in Australia to become an Australian citizen immediately and most took up the offer.

Case in point, the latest series of Australian Masterchef - of the top eight, only one wasn’t a second generation migrant. Of the other seven, they each had at least one parent born overseas: Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Germany, Italy, Vietnam, China (x2).

Society isn’t perfect, but what seems to be missing is the pockets of society that rely on benefits. Unemployment levels have been really low for decades, even during global recessions.

I read recently from a number of publications that it was, how reputable they are is another matter.

https://www.news.com.au/national/australia-the-highest-per-capita-cocaine-user-i

https://www.ladbible.com/news/news-australians-are-the-biggest-cocaine-users-in-

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Moving abroad on 10:24 - Jul 13 with 1906 viewsnoggin

Moved to Norway 15 years ago and don't regret it one bit. Financially I've never been so well off and it's a great place to bring up kids, due in large part to the excellent welfare state and inclusive society. Child benefit is paid up until age 18 and we have saved that money so that our daughter has a deposit on a flat when she's ready to move out. Norwegians definitely work to live rather than live to work so stress seems to be at lower levels here. I get 5 weeks annual leave plus more bank holidays than back home. Alcohol and food are expensive if you compare prices to UK, but I earn double here what I did in the UK so I soon learned to stop comparing. Crime is low and I don't worry about my teenage daughter when she's out.
I'm sorry to say it but I would never move back to Britain. I'm fortunate to now have an Irish passport so the complete f**k up which is brexit won't affect me in future.

Of course, there are negatives. Learning a language is both frustrating and time consuming, but ultimately very rewarding. Sitting in a room and not understanding what is being said around you is very frustrating and you will wish you were home again. Customer service is very different here. I think that is because of the live to work system. Targets and fear of being sacked really don't exist here and so everything is more laid back. Manners are very different here. Norwegians rarely say sorry for small mistakes and holding doors for the next person just doesn't happen. Once you realise that it's not personal, you can stop getting angry about it.
[Post edited 13 Jul 2021 10:43]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024